• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Botolf said:
"The Great Journey waits for no one, brother, not even you."

Maaan, bums me out thinking of all the missed opportunities with story that followed Halo 2. I'd give a lung for another mainline Halo game that embraced an interweaving, multiple-pov structure. Definitely missed the light shone on the Covenant's inner workings in the past few games as well. Need some of that ambition back!

"There are things about Halo even the Hierarchs do not understand."

God the Halo 2 script was gold.

FyreWulff

Just finished the weekly.

GH7Wn.png

When will my torment end

FyreWulff

Steelyuhas said:
Wait what? I assumed that this week's challenge was a joke challenge, because it's fucking ridiculous.

Required a minimum of 22 games per day. Grifball games can end within 2 minutes though, if you get a quick 3-plant on the other team (cue my annoyance at the jackass of a bomb on the other team just getting kills instead of planting when they were up 2-0)

edit: I am slightly amused that there seems to be no graphic/title for having more than 20 weeklies on HaloCharts.

FyreWulff said:
Required a minimum of 22 games per day. Grifball games can end within 2 minutes though, if you get a quick 3-plant on the other team (cue my annoyance at the jackass of a bomb on the other team just getting kills instead of planting when they were up 2-0)

Yeah haha on Monday i did the calculation and immediately knew that there was no chance in hell to get the challenge for myself.

FyreWulff

Steelyuhas said:
Yeah haha on Monday i did the calculation and immediately knew that there was no chance in hell to get the challenge for myself.

Yeah I honestly only did it because I have a goal of getting a year-long streak of all the weeklies since launch. Hopefully the next one is a campaign one I can do on Nightfall in 3 minutes.

I guess I take achievement descriptions literally?

Havok

Steelyuhas said:

I'll never forget the incredible subtle sinister undertones the Prophet of Truth had in that performance...and how it was thrown out the window in Halo 3 to make him just another boring zealot.

wwm0nkey

Honestly Halo 2 had a great SP going back and playing, maybe not level wise but my god the script and everything else where great, the ending made it all filler though :(

Havok said:
I'll never forget the incredible subtle sinister undertones the Prophet of Truth had in that performance...and how it was thrown out the window in Halo 3 to make him just another boring zealot.

Yep. So so sad.

It's not even the same actor in H3, let alone his character and lines not being worthy of the H2 character.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Steelyuhas said:

Seriously, bar none, Halo 2 stands as the best presented and written of the games out of the series so far.

Tunavi

Banned
Bungie took a lot of risks with Halo 2's story and I liked that. However they took the criticism too hard and made Halo 3/Reach very safe in terms of story.

Almost a mythic. Got the jackpot tonight at 12:15 Pacific. Does that count for friday or saturday? Does the jackpot reset at midnight PST or at 3 with the challenges?

clav

I decided to play some Halo 3 (Mythic Edition) after all this talk of nostalgia about how older Halo is superior to Halo Reach.

I have to say, the game loads multiplayer super fast as there isn't that criss-cross loading screen in between matches.

Certainly, the game looks blurier than Reach's (probably the resolution).

As for the gunplay, it was fun at first, but then in my second game, I was reminded why I stopped playing Halo.

All the BR spam. I don't know how else to describe it. Sometimes I just die really quickly as it appears enemies are shooting 6 shots from one burst or 9 shots. Players swing back and forth jumping up and down and going sideways. Seemed like a bunch of monkeys to me.

Many times I spawned and died.

If that's your idea of showing skill, OK fans, but those two things particular annoyed me a lot and certainly made me move to Call of Duty 4 at the time.

Plywood said:
Seriously, bar none, Halo 2 stands as the best presented and written of the games out of the series so far.

Holy crap, I just came upon this place for the first time since joining Gaf and it's gearing people say good things about Halo 2.

Definitely my favorite Halo and I really hope 343 does an update similar to what they are doing with Halo CE.

Ramirez

claviertekky said:
I decided to play some Halo 3 (Mythic Edition) after all this talk of nostalgia about how older Halo is superior to Halo Reach.

I have to say, the game loads multiplayer super fast as there isn't that criss-cross loading screen in between matches.

As for the gunplay, it was fun at first, but then in my second game, I was reminded why I stopped playing Halo.

All the BR spam. I don't know how else to describe it. Sometimes I just die really quickly as it appears enemies are shooting 6 shots from one burst or 9 shots. Players swing back and forth jumping up and down and going sideways. Seemed like a bunch of monkeys to me.

If that's your idea of showing skill, OK fans, but those two things particular annoyed me a lot and certainly made me move to Call of Duty 4 at the time.

It's ok BK.

I kid

claviertekky said:

Can't speak for anyone else here, but when I refer to older Halo being superior to Reach, I am not speaking of Halo 3.

Sibylus

Banned
Havok said:
Agreed. He was a cunning and ruthless politician who betrayed his peers in their moments of weakness in Halo 2, and it's a damned shame what happened to his development in 3. All that remains of him is the "that secret dies with all the rest" line and its implications, but other than that he's even more out of touch and senile than Mercy was. Soured the end of the Arbiter's arc, and even that was already souring by way of the story's inexplicable focus on bit characters instead of the second protagonist. It just beggars belief.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Awkward first HaloGAF post, but just wanted to say hi to everyone. I was brought to this site by Dani's leaked offscreen Reach shots (a couple years ago?), and struggled for account approval since then. I'm on Ghal's friends list and got to meet him and Dani over XBL a while back, but not many of you know me.

Anyway, my name is obviously Ryan and I've been a pretty active Halo community member since Halo 3. Luke posted my silly Frankie Seinfeld Photoshop in the Halo 3 OT a while back for the Recon competition on B.net, and I also took the screenshot for the ODST Multiplayer disc art. I also see BrySi is now a Junior on here, and him and I are pretty good friends as well through my website/podcast.

Looking forward to posting and playing with you all, it's been a seriously long time coming.

Ramirez

Grifball is terrible, how do people have fun with something that is so dependent on host? I just don't get it. Like it's not even fun in a stupid way like Action Sack stuff, it's just dumb, I swing my hammer, get killed from 50 miles away because the other team has host, ok.

Can someone upload this for me, good way to end the night. We had an epic flag return with them having the flag like 5 feet from the cap spot as well that game, the guys weren't terrible, so it was on of those feels good man moments. Having the jackpot be in Objective has brought the competition up a bit at least...trueskill actually has a pool of players to work with. :p

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=19196838&player=TJ Ram

Also, don't forget to tag it with awesome one liners.

FyreWulff said:
Just finished the weekly.

GH7Wn.png

When will my torment end

Wow, is that all of the weekly's so far? You almost have a years worth of them lol.

claviertekky, the problem with Halo 3 is that it does require a certain level of understanding of the game mechanics to be fun. If you didnt really play Halo 3 in the past and it just frustrates you your better off playing something like CoD or Reach. I have friends who only just got Halo 3 because of how much I play with friends, and watching them in low level matchmaking is horrible. I pretty much told them to just give up on the game, it really is a totally different beast when you 'get it', unfortunatly unless you have people to play with thats not really going to happen, and your going to be stuck in the hell of playing shitty matches.

^ @Ram Rendered

GhaleonEB said:
I've played so much Firefight lately, today I tried to get into the newly revamped BTB. I just played a game of BTB Slayer on Hemorrhage. It's the stuff of nightmares.

Couldn't agree more. I absolutely despise Hemorrhage, worst map in the game after Pinnacle. I'm forced to suffer it as it seems to be the go to map for scrublets in team snipers.

BTB was in my top 3 most played playlists in Halo 3; I was playing btb with a full team in Reach the other, had a few semi-playable games on wayont, then we got Hemorrhage... I quit within 90 seconds. Felt like an asshole to the team but I just cannot stand the map and btb in general. It always feels like you're penalised for attempting to advance across the map.

Has some fun games in BTB tonight, playing with a party of 7 just makes the experience a lot better. Me and a friend sneaked the enemy's flag out of the base on Utopie two times in a row. T

That's just one of those great Halo moments: Racing away on a mongoose while enemy's are putting rounds in your back and you're not quite sure if you're gonna make it.

Botolf said:
Agreed. He was a cunning and ruthless politician who betrayed his peers in their moments of weakness in Halo 2, and it's a damned shame what happened to his development in 3. All that remains of him is the "that secret dies with all the rest" line and its implications, but other than that he's even more out of touch and senile than Mercy was. Soured the end of the Arbiter's arc, and even that was already souring by way of the story's inexplicable focus on bit characters instead of the second protagonist. It just beggars belief.
Pretty much all the writing in the games is baffling to me because it so often ties itself in knots or wanders down blind alleys. What they thought they were doing, what they thought the impact on the player would be, what they thought was relevant or interesting to present, consistency of character or themes... all of it veers this way and that in a given moment. It's a weird mix of the surprisingly clever and affecting (and usually this stuff is backgrounded or simply buried), the clunky, and the just plain bad.

The 'senior writer' on Halo 4 is some guy called Christopher Schlerf. I am wary.

dc89

So I downloaded Bungie Mobile, turned on the Blue Flames thing yet my helmet isn't flaming! does it take a while?

Edit: Duhhhh! Armoury!

CyReN

kylej

Banned
How does this game run at like 8fps constantly? Blops has these massive, intricate maps with choppers floating through the sky, dogs running around, and it runs at 60fps. Reach never breaks, like, 25fps on a good day and it stutters like crazy on all these ugly ass jaggy maps.

Who were the kids defending Bungie's claims of an "all new engine"? Frankie save us.

Tawpgun

Look how awesome Halo 2 Truth (and arby) was.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWLLh8Sr6mM&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLwQBRMqSXY

And Halo 3 Truth...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPEYImyvKBY
2:06

He went from really interesting, sinister character to stereotypical zealot villain.

I think I remember Bungie saying something how people didn't like that the cutscenes were so long in Halo 2. I MEAN REALLY? Are you really going to listen to them? The people who could give a rats ass about the story and just want to shoot things?

I don't want a goddamn movie, but Halo 2 length cutscenes were perfect.

Imagine in Halo 4 you have the perspective switching between Chief on the Forerunner Planet, and then an actual forerunner 100,000 years ago.

But enough about that. Me and Kyle are on. Where are you all. 2 for Arena would be nice.

Striker

Arbiter was on equal front with how great they were portrayed in Halo 2 where they seemed like less of a nothing in Halo 3. Arbiter goes from a great character with a story to a sidekick who has nothing.

kylej said:
How does this game run at like 8fps constantly? Blops has these massive, intricate maps with choppers floating through the sky, dogs running around, and it runs at 60fps. Reach never breaks, like, 25fps on a good day and it stutters like crazy on all these ugly ass jaggy maps.
Lighting, mainly. Probably more physics calculations, too.

Mik2121 said:
Jeez.. just finished a game of Griffball that should have been called Griefball.

Bunch of idiots... (look at the penalties)

Not that many betrayels but I can understand your pain, especially when those guys would have been in a party. That's why I never enter griffball, exept when there is a multikill weekly challange and then SWAT is still the prefered option.

Mik2121

Captain Blood said:
The key to not complaining about griffbal is never playing it in the first place. Were you guys playing to get a daily or something?
I'm playing Grifball now just to get the 4 victories challenge. This is usually the fastest way... unless you team up with a couple idiots like these :|

Anyway, I'm one victory away, then I'll stop playing this.

And no, I don't have friends online right now playing Reach, so if I go alone on any other mode, it will take longer and chances of winning are the same or even lower, because at least in grifball I can get the ball myself and score fast.

Striker said:
Arbiter was on equal front with how great they were portrayed in Halo 2 where they seemed like less of a nothing in Halo 3. Arbiter goes from a great character with a story to a sidekick who has nothing.
I don't think that's true. The one thing the Halo 3 story did well was the relationship between the Arbiter and the Chief. From mutual distrust to mutual respect.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
kylej said:

Who were the kids defending Bungie's claims of an "all new engine"? Frankie save us.
Reach hovers around 30 unless you're in Forge World or Firefight. It runs at 1152x720 compared to Call of Duty's 1024x600. Don't walk into this, you'll get buried with information.

Dax01 said:
That's incorrect. The one thing the Halo 3 story did well was the relationship between the Arbiter and the Chief. From mutual distrust to mutual respect.

I wouldn't say they did it 'well' - the whole arc was killed in the opening of the game where Johnson basically says "Chief, he's with us." It's all done in like 5 seconds, fell very flat with me at any rate.

Sikamikanico said:
I wouldn't say they did it 'well' - the whole arc was killed in the opening of the game where Johnson basically says "Chief, he's with us." It's all done in like 5 seconds, fell very flat with me at any rate.
The arc goes on throughout the whole game.

FyreWulff

Lyphen said:
Reach hovers around 30 unless you're in Forge World or Firefight. It runs at 1152x720 compared to Call of Duty's 1024x600. Don't walk into this, you'll get buried with information.

It also only drops frames on Forge World if your map has an absurd amount of objects. I think Bungie elected to allow people to make maps that would have a chance of poor performance this time instead of Sandbox, where it was near impossible to make a poorly performing map even if you budget glitched because you could put down maybe 1/3rd the amount of objects that you can on FW.

kylej

Banned
Lyphen said:
Reach hovers around 30 unless you're in Forge World or Firefight.

So as long as you're not playing multiplayer or Firefight you'll have a marginally decent framerate.

FyreWulff said:
It also only drops frames on Forge World if your map has an absurd amount of objects.

Like Asylum?

Willeth

Lyphen said:
And yet somehow it stutters on cutscenes every now and again.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
FyreWulff said:
4 player split on Asylum with 8 players in the game is essentially as far as they'll let a map go in terms of performance.

Just looking through a scope on Asylum and you'll notice dropped frames - no split screen needed and the level isn't overloaded with objects either. It's a mystery.

Top Bottom