• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

FyreWulff

The problem with Grifball I have is that I always get killed in one hammer swing as the bomb carrier, but then I always have to use two hits to kill an enemy bomb carrier (when I don't have time to switch to the sword)

It really feels like the damages were decided for LAN play and not Xbox Live, and I much preferred the initial version of Halo 3 Grifball before the bomb carrier was made OP for Live.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Fuck Yes.

You know that feeling, where a team is using the most BULLSHIT tactics and playing like total bitches. Like, you know, turtling on the bottom cage for the entire match where we can't kill them.

And then you fucking BEAT THEM at the last second.

My god...

Best game EVER.

leonfaria04

Neo Member
A27 Tawpgun said:
Fuck Yes.

You know that feeling, where a team is using the most BULLSHIT tactics and playing like total bitches. Like, you know, turtling on the bottom cage for the entire match where we can't kill them.

And then you fucking BEAT THEM at the last second.

My god...

Or when all the opposite team are using armor lock in every single combat, you beat them and all your team teabaging the last kill, its wonderful

FyreWulff said:
Digital Foundry does good work sometimes, but the other half of the time they're making shit up. And now they're starting to inject subjective opinions into objective technical breakdowns, so I'd rather not give them any more hits.
The first article, the one not from Digital Foundry, is written by the co-founder of Neversoft, the Guitar Hero/Tony Hawk guys:

When a player presses a button, the game can take up to three frames (in the best case) to create visual feedback and programming problems can introduce additional frames of lag. The actual lag time is multiplied by the length of a single game frame.

So if we are running at 30fps, then the lag is 3/30th or one-tenth of a second. If we are running at 60fps, then the lag will be 3/60th or 1/20th of a second.
i.e. when a game runs at 30fps, the best you can hope for is 100ms. There may well be 67ms of latency inherent in a 360 controller, but my understanding is that's irrelevant when a game running at 30fps cannot do things 'faster' than 100ms; the time it takes to process what's happening and update the screen (after which different displays tack on a varying amount of latency, too, of course) is even more sluggish than the controller.

If what you are saying were true, then it would be possible for my 360 to do its thinking and output frames in no time at all (i.e. literally zero milliseconds), and everything is the fault of the controller. But surely the logic of the game is directly tied into how often it updates/renders frames.

GhaleonEB

My daughter and I had a pretty great game of Speedpile (which sounds like a term for diarrhea, but nevermind) earlier today. Our two team mates were just rolling around in the Warthog, so we set up a tag team on the center flag. I worked like mad for what was to be the last cap and then, well, watch.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Just gotta say Flagstravaganza has brought new life to Reach for me. I haven't had so much fun in a playlist since Halo 3's Action Sack.

Speedflag = :_)

Donat said:
One more thing @Hypertrooper. We met at gamescom 2010 while we were waiting in line for Brian to sign our stuff and get a Noble6-avatar-helmet card. You showed me your Halo 3 LE and told me you were on Neogaf. Do you remember?
Oh I remember you! I'm going to the GamesCom this year too. But I haven't planned yet, if I stay the whole 4/5 days or just one day, because I'm going to fly to Seattle the week after.
And welcome to HaloGAF. It is always awesome to have some other german HaloGAFfer :)

Good games Sai__Kun and Ghal. It was a kind of fun. But I'll continue loving Squad Slayer and Premimum Battles. If you want to play again today, I'll play with Zayne later.

Hey Ghal, does your daughter want to see a relationship between Jorge and Kat?

Tunavi said:
Bungie took a lot of risks with Halo 2's story and I liked that. However they took the criticism too hard and made Halo 3/Reach very safe in terms of story.

Almost a mythic. Got the jackpot tonight at 12:15 Pacific. Does that count for friday or saturday? Does the jackpot reset at midnight PST or at 3 with the challenges?
Your daily eligibility for the Super Jackpot is based on your local time. I just grabbed it twice in one sitting because I hit the credit limit and changed my Time Zone to Beijing.

Hey You

I can't help but wonder if CTF and Assualt got their own playlists (with a variety of different gametypes (Speedbomb,Covie CTF/Assualt,Neutral Assualt (?)..) if their populations would hold steady.

Ryaaan14 said:
Just gotta say Flagstravaganza has brought new life to Reach for me. I haven't had so much fun in a playlist since Halo 3's Action Sack.

Speedflag = :_)
Get ready to say good bye to her next week :'(

Ryaaan14

Banned
Hey You said:
Get ready to say good bye to her next week :'(
Well shit. That's too bad. -_-

They could go ahead and throw Speedflag in the current Action Sack playlist, I would have no objections with that. Action Sack needs a little bit of love in my opinion.

Hey You

Ryaaan14 said:
Well shit. That's too bad. -_-

They could go ahead and throw Speedflag in the current Action Sack playlist, I would have no objections with that. Action Sack needs a little bit of love in my opinion.
Its already in Action Sack, we need it in TO.

Sibylus

Banned
Eh, the tension between Arbiter and Chief was so minimal that it might as well have never existed. By the end of Sierra 117 they're hovering around each other's personal space like it's no issue whatsoever. Referencing it at the very end does not tension make, only mutual respect that emerged from... apathy?

Shake Appeal said:
Pretty much all the writing in the games is baffling to me because it so often ties itself in knots or wanders down blind alleys. What they thought they were doing, what they thought the impact on the player would be, what they thought was relevant or interesting to present, consistency of character or themes... all of it veers this way and that in a given moment. It's a weird mix of the surprisingly clever and affecting (and usually this stuff is backgrounded or simply buried), the clunky, and the just plain bad.

The 'senior writer' on Halo 4 is some guy called Christopher Schlerf. I am wary.
Is there a good story post-mortem on Halo 2 kicking around somewhere? Official or fan-based, doesn't really matter, I'm in a reading mood.

All I get on this fellow is food services and stuff. Master Chief?

I had some really great custom games with the party I used to play Halo 3 with, We started with some wonky gametypes, then went into matchmaking for 3 games and after that, we did the first 5 MLG customs of Halo Reach. It's awesome playing these gametypes with so many friends.

After the MLG gametypes, we played some 3v3v3 and FFA with 10 persons which was fricking hectic but fun. I also want to say sorry to Overdoz1s if he's reading this, one of my friends was pretty drunk :p

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
GhaleonEB said:
My daughter and I had a pretty great game of Speedpile (which sounds like a term for diarrhea, but nevermind) earlier today. Our two team mates were just rolling around in the Warthog, so we set up a tag team on the center flag. I worked like mad for what was to be the last cap and then, well, watch.
Whoaaaaaaaa @ the part where the Revenant cruised over your head. You were in mid-jump, too! It must've been inches from your head.

Havok

Hey You said:
Because I don't want gametypes that look like they could be set to Benny Hill in one of the last serious playlists left. The last update just removed (almost) all of the terrible fringe gametypes to get back to a core experience. Why would they undo all of that?

Speaking of bad gametypes in Objective, why was Hot Potato left in? Either the explosions are random or I haven't figured out the underlying mechanic (the enemy team hid in a corner for 45 seconds, no explosion. Fox picks up the bomb and explodes within 3 seconds).

Ryaaan14

Banned
Havok said:
Because I don't want gametypes that look like they could be set to Benny Hill in one of the last serious playlists left. The last update just removed (almost) all of the terrible fringe gametypes to get back to a core experience. Why would they undo all of that?

Speaking of bad gametypes in Objective, why was Hot Potato left in? Either the explosions are random or I haven't figured out the underlying mechanic (the enemy team hid in a corner for 45 seconds, no explosion. Fox picks up the bomb and explodes within 3 seconds).
I personally think if you have a good enough team, it's a perfectly legitimate gametype for TO. Some very intense moments have come out of Speedflag.

Edit: Now, gametypes like Slayer Flag have absolutely no business there. I'd be happy if it was just banished in general.

Ryaaan14 said:
I personally think if you have a good enough team, it's a perfectly legitimate gametype for TO. Some very intense moments have come out of Speedflag.

Edit: Now, gametypes like Slayer Flag have absolutely no business there. I'd be happy if it was just banished in general.

What's wrong with Slayer Flag? I really lve that gametype, it's a great way to break ties and fun overall.

GhaleonEB

omg.kittens said:
Whoaaaaaaaa @ the part where the Revenant cruised over your head. You were in mid-jump, too! It must've been inches from your head.
It was a wee close.

reach_19229750_Full.jpg

FyreWulff said:
As someone who has made a 360 game and talked with the man behind OnLive, it's the 360 controller protocol. They actually wanted to use 360 PC controllers with the OnLive console, but the 360 controller has too much latency, hence why they released their own with it.

It makes sense - if you want wireless controllers as a mainstream part of your console, you elevate everything to the wireless controller's minimum response time to give them a level playing field so you don't have the issue some GameCube games had when playing with a Wavebird.

Digital Foundry does good work sometimes, but the other half of the time they're making shit up. And now they're starting to inject subjective opinions into objective technical breakdowns, so I'd rather not give them any more hits.

Does this apply to both wired and wireless controllers?

Ryaaan14

Banned
Tha Robbertster said:
What's wrong with Slayer Flag? I really lve that gametype, it's a great way to break ties and fun overall.
That gametype just pisses me off because I always hate when people troll flag games by just killing, and this gametype just rewards that kind of behavior.

I also suck ass at Slayer, so I hate getting shit on when I go to enjoy some CTF :_(

Ryaaan14 said:
That gametype just pisses me off because I always hate when people troll flag games by just killing, and this gametype just rewards that kind of behavior.

I also suck ass at Slayer, so I hate getting shit on when I go to enjoy some CTF :_(

Well, I just see it as a compromise between my friends who want to play slayer and those who want to play objective. The slayer guys actually feel like they have a goal other then helping killing the guys who are killing the flag carrier.

That and it's the only gametype in flagstrablablabla with DMR starts.

Ramirez

Hey You said:
Its nice to have a variety of gametypes in Objective though.

If you want a variety of stupid gametypes, play Action Sack.

Ryaaan14 said:

If Speedflag is anything like Speedpile, then it is one of th dumbest things to ever grace matchmaking. Games with whacky speed settings or anything like that have no place whatsoever in a legitimate normal playlist.

Why do I feel so out of touch with what gamers want today? Living Dead, Grifball, Speedpile, etc. These are not the things that made me fall in love with Halo, I don't even think the majority of people who play Halo even like actual core Halo anymore, just stupid made up gametypes that could just as well be in any FPS.

GhaleonEB said:
Ghaleon, you were SO close to dying at the point when you were running back to your base, and you jumped up because you saw (and heard) the Revanent coming towards you, but instead of zooming right under you, it zooms right over you.

Top Bottom