• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Mik2121

Could we stop discussing the framerate of a game that's over half a year old, and start playing it a bit? :p

I'm looking for people to play online - right now!. Whatever playlist, I don't care. But I don't wanna jump alone :( The more, the better!. My GT is M1k2121

Havok said:
I'll never forget the incredible subtle sinister undertones the Prophet of Truth had in that performance...and how it was thrown out the window in Halo 3 to make him just another boring zealot.
Michael motherfucking Wincott became Truth for me. Terrence Stamp is cool and all, but his Truth was another character entirely. This was not solely due to his performance, mind you, but the way his character was written was dissapointing, too.

Steelyuhas said:
"There are things about Halo even the Hierarchs do not understand."

God the Halo 2 script was gold.
I really hope Bungie decides to release the unfinished Halo 2 script for Bungie Day. I want to see Miranda strapping a bomb to the Chief and shoving him down an airlock. :lol

FyreWulff

Dani said:
Just looking through a scope on Asylum and you'll notice dropped frames - no split screen needed and the level isn't overloaded with objects either. It's a mystery.

Tempest does it too on the default layout.

It seems in single screen that zooming in with your binocs or any scoped weapon forces every visible object into their highest LOD. I remember that I was working the ONI Sword Base level. I come around to the AA gun switch side, and there's two grunts sitting on a hill in ghosts with covies behind them.

Unzoomed everything was the usual stable framerate.

I zoom in with my binocs at the grunts in the ghosts and the framerate dies.

Tawpgun

Tunavi said:
oh shit 5% gold. So close to onyx and mythic.
vwgux.png

After work I'm getting both
When will this be. I always want to do Arena with good people but whenever we get on we end up Squad Slaying.

ElRenoRaven

A27 Tawpgun said:
Look how awesome Halo 2 Truth (and arby) was.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWLLh8Sr6mM&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLwQBRMqSXY

And Halo 3 Truth...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPEYImyvKBY
2:06

He went from really interesting, sinister character to stereotypical zealot villain.

I think I remember Bungie saying something how people didn't like that the cutscenes were so long in Halo 2. I MEAN REALLY? Are you really going to listen to them? The people who could give a rats ass about the story and just want to shoot things?

I don't want a goddamn movie, but Halo 2 length cutscenes were perfect.

Imagine in Halo 4 you have the perspective switching between Chief on the Forerunner Planet, and then an actual forerunner 100,000 years ago.

But enough about that. Me and Kyle are on. Where are you all. 2 for Arena would be nice.

If Halo 4 had you switching between Chief and a forerunner I would not buy it. That simple.

Kuroyume said:
No 60 fps for Halo 4. Giant skyboxes more important.
I know you're being sarcastic, but this is the approach they should take. Rock solid 30 FPS with amazing skyboxes is better than 60 FPS with not-as-awesome skyboxes.

Mik2121

Kuroyume said:
No 60 fps for Halo 4. Giant skyboxes more important.
Funny enough, the giant (and amazingly awesome) skyboxes aren't really all that heavy. I've not checked out how they're doing them, but if everything else is an indication, they probably got an "average" size skybox with a few extra layers of tiling textures to add extra detail and a couple materials using panner to... pan around. The mesh itself has probably less polygons than a grenade, also :p

I guess you're right most of the time when I'm DMR'ing right in the middle I just stop and look up at the skyboxes. Its basically the only way I actually get out DMR'd.

Yup. Fuck they look so good.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I know I've died a few times trying to check out what was happening outside the windows in Condemned. And missed jumps in Anchor 9 (totally due to the skyboxes and not my terrible joystick hands).

feel

kylej said:
How does this game run at like 8fps constantly? Blops has these massive, intricate maps with choppers floating through the sky, dogs running around, and it runs at 60fps. Reach never breaks, like, 25fps on a good day and it stutters like crazy on all these ugly ass jaggy maps.

Who were the kids defending Bungie's claims of an "all new engine"? Frankie save us.
kylej said:
Who were the kids defending Bungie's claims of an "all new engine"? Frankie save us.
kylej said:
Frankie save us.
kylej said:
FRANKIE SAVE US
2qukdok.jpg

Ramirez

Thanks for rendering that TH.

Halo 4 needs a locked framerate, be it 30 or 60, the only time I have a problem with framerates is when it fluctuates, and Reach does it way too often.

I made a 30% jump in Arena yesterday, cool bro. I really wish Arena would remove Jetpacks and actually tweak the weapon sets on most of the maps for "competitive" play. Countdown does not need a sword, shotgun, and conc rifle with radar enabled, pure trash. Add rockets down at the garage to encourage people to move around the map some, and also give the players a tool to weed out campers up top.

Dax01 said:
I know you're being sarcastic, but this is the approach they should take. Rock solid 30 FPS with amazing skyboxes is better than 60 FPS with not-as-awesome skyboxes.
This really, really isn't true.

Especially when you consider the difference 30/60 makes for input latency.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Halo doesn't really need 60FPS (although I'd prefer to have it if given the option over 30FPS anytime) but it certainly needs solid framerates. Reach has been disappointing in this regard, both in the single and multiplayer sides. A real let down considering the high bar of the series.

Tawpgun

Dani said:
Halo doesn't really need 60FPS (although I'd prefer to have it if given the option over 30FPS anytime) but it certainly needs solid framerates. Reach has been disappointing in this regard, both in the single and multiplayer sides. A real let down considering the high bar of the series.
Yup. It's not high FPS that creates a smooth experience. It's consistent, locked FPS. A 30 FPS game, when you're playing it, plays just as smooth as a 60 FPS game. It's only when you go from CoD to Halo and vice versa where the effect is really jarring.

While bigger FPS is never a bad thing, the most important thing to do is to lock it. I'd rather have locked 30 FPS than 60 FPS that drops to 50 when shit goes down.

But if you REALLY want to dream right now... imagine what the Nextbox Halo 5 will be like. All dat new tech.

Shake Appeal said:
This really, really isn't true.

Especially when you consider the difference 30/60 makes for input latency.
As long as it doesn't affect my skyboxes, I'm cool. Or the overall quality of the graphics. If they have to sacrifice textures, lighting, etc, to get 60 FPS, I'd rather not have it.

Kuroyume

Banned
What is it was you and skyboxes? Seriously. I think I spent like 5 seconds looking at the skyboxes for the DLC maps. I haven't looked at them since.

kylej

Banned
2 doubles perfections in a row and a 25-0 game for the second. finally starting to feel better after my terrible playing over the past 24 hours

Ramirez

kylej said:
2 doubles perfections in a row and a 25-0 game for the second. finally starting to feel better after my terrible playing over the past 24 hours

The levels of BK in Doubles is astounding from my experience.

How is beating up on kids that bad all the time fun for you guys?

I really don't understand this comment. You can only play what the game matches you up against, and if you're not playing MLG, you have like a 95% chance of being matched up against scrubs. I lost like over 3K games of Halo 3, but I don't think I'll lose half of that in Reach at the rate I'm going, the level of play has really dropped off in the general playlists, whether that be because the game is harder to play than 3 or because most of the good people quit playing Reach, I don't know.

Even the top players in Arena are mostly subpar players who abuse jetpacks...

I'm not one to shy away from getting donged on either, after the new XP stuff was ushered into 3, I played MLG pretty much exclusively, and lost A LOT. I was having fun though, I don't have fun with MLG in Reach, I don't like competitive Reach much at all in any playlist really. It always turns out to be a pretty frustrating experience due to bloom, etc.

Tashi0106 said:
Bungie Aerospace shirt get! Shit is sexy.<3

Which one did you get?

Lyphen said:
Reach hovers around 30 unless you're in Forge World or Firefight. It runs at 1152x720 compared to Call of Duty's 1024x600. Don't walk into this, you'll get buried with information.

Also, the textures in Black Ops look like there from the PS2. That helps a lot.

Dani said:
Just looking through a scope on Asylum and you'll notice dropped frames - no split screen needed and the level isn't overloaded with objects either. It's a mystery.

It's not really that much of a mystery. Asylum is an example of horrifically bad forging.

Also, I just watched 'A Whisper in the Storm'. Amazing stuff, what happened with Halo 3? :(

A27 Tawpgun said:
While bigger FPS is never a bad thing, the most important thing to do is to lock it. I'd rather have locked 30 FPS than 60 FPS that drops to 50 when shit goes down.
Well, you shouldn't. For one thing, most people honestly can't tell when 60 drops to 50. More importantly, higher FPS is always better.

60 FPS can you give input latency as low as ~67ms. 30 FPS, meanwhile, gives you a minimum of 100ms. For twitchy experiences where the tiniest differences in motion and aiming are significant, this matters.

See the chart halfway down this page:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-lag-factor-article?page=3

See CoD4? Now look at Halo 3. It takes twice as long on average for every single action you take to register in the latter game.

Edit: Also, framerate nosedives aren't exclusive to Forge World maps. Scoping in the wrong place on any number of maps causes me massive problems. Tempest and Condemned are particularly bad.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Yea that's a nice one too. It's the Summer soon though so that's a reason why I went with a T shirt

Ramirez

Yea, zooming in on Condemned in the middle is absolutely game breaking. I really don't want 343 to sacrifice the framerate to make the game look better. I'm not looking at the skybox when I'm in an good DMR duel and the framerate randomly nose dives.

That seven shirt looks extremely cheap and plain to me, btw.

Tashi

Shake Appeal said:
Well, you shouldn't. For one thing, most people honestly can't tell when 60 drops to 50. More importantly, higher FPS is always better.

60 FPS can you give input latency as low as ~67ms. 30 FPS, meanwhile, gives you a minimum of 100ms. For twitchy experiences where the tiniest differences in motion and aiming are significant, this matters.

See the chart halfway down this page:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-lag-factor-article?page=3

See CoD4? Now look at Halo 3. It takes twice as long on average for every single action you take to register in the latter game.

Edit: Also, framerate nosedives aren't exclusive to Forge World maps. Scoping in the wrong place on any number of maps causes me massive problems. Tempest and Condemned are particularly bad.

You know, I hear this all the time and obviously the logic and numbers support it but in practice I can't really tell a difference.

Ramirez

Tashi0106 said:
You know, I hear this all the time and obviously the logic and numbers support it but in practice I can't really tell a difference.

Go play a CoD game for about a week, don't touch Halo, then come back. I can't believe anyone wouldn't be able to tell the difference, the first time I did it with Halo 3 I thought something was wrong with my 360, lol.

Tashi0106 said:

Play some more CoD. The control seems way more fluid than Halo. When I go on a BLOPS bender then go back to Halo I feel the difference takes a few games to adjust.

Also watch THIS

FyreWulff

67ms latency is inherent to the 360 controllers and not the game. It could be lower even at 30 FPS.

Latency is hard to judge in games that have multipurpose buttons like Halo. The game is going to have to wait a few frames to make sure that you actually want to reload and not pick the weapon up that you're standing over.

Ramirez said:
Go play a CoD game for about a week, don't touch Halo, then come back. I can't believe anyone wouldn't be able to tell the difference, the first time I did it with Halo 3 I thought something was wrong with my 360, lol.

Yeah that used to happen with me for COD and Halo 3, although going back to Reach after COD is not nearly as bad.

Tashi

Ramirez said:

A week of CoD and no Halo...no thanks lol

But I play these fighting games all the time, do they run at 60fps? Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Super Street Fighter IV? I'm not even sure.

FyreWulff

Shake Appeal said:

As someone who has made a 360 game and talked with the man behind OnLive, it's the 360 controller protocol. They actually wanted to use 360 PC controllers with the OnLive console, but the 360 controller has too much latency, hence why they released their own with it.

It makes sense - if you want wireless controllers as a mainstream part of your console, you elevate everything to the wireless controller's minimum response time to give them a level playing field so you don't have the issue some GameCube games had when playing with a Wavebird.

Digital Foundry does good work sometimes, but the other half of the time they're making shit up. And now they're starting to inject subjective opinions into objective technical breakdowns, so I'd rather not give them any more hits.

Tawpgun

Fuck Yes.

You know that feeling, where a team is using the most BULLSHIT tactics and playing like total bitches. Like, you know, turtling on the bottom cage for the entire match where we can't kill them.

And then you fucking BEAT THEM at the last second.

My god...

NOKYARD

Ramirez said:
Grifball is terrible, how do people have fun with something that is so dependent on host? I just don't get it. Like it's not even fun in a stupid way like Action Sack stuff, it's just dumb, I swing my hammer, get killed from 50 miles away because the other team has host, ok.
We had host in 5 or 6 games last night and still managed to win 41 of 45 games. It is much more fun when rolling with a full team of competent players, avoiding the usual crap (griefers, betrayers, cR whores, stat padders), and playing the game more like a team sport than an individual hammerfest.

One of my many positions is to identify and isolate the host, then use his killer instinct against him to keep him engaged long enough to let our runner slip by. It is so satisfying to let him finally kill me just as the bomb explodes. We call it the "here kitty, kitty..." play.

I will be rolling in the Grifball Playlist today and will hold the 4th spot open for any gaffers. msg me if interested.

Top Bottom