• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Ramirez said:
Why do I feel so out of touch with what gamers want today? Living Dead, Grifball, Speedpile, etc. These are not the things that made me fall in love with Halo, I don't even think the majority of people who play Halo even like actual core Halo anymore, just stupid made up gametypes that could just as well be in any FPS.

XP. Tons and tons of XP. That's all that needs to be done to change peoples' perception of Halo's core gameplay. If the game is rewarding a player for any and everything the player does, even if they're losing horrendousy, they'll stick around and deal with it. Why? They'll get that money honey in the end, regardless of how the match played out.

Team Objective averaged 400 players at any given time, but one 24K jackpot later and now it's in the upper thousands.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Ramirez said:
If Speedflag is anything like Speedpile, then it is one of th dumbest things to ever grace matchmaking.
It's not really. Speedflag plays out much more strategically and requires a hell of a lot more teamwork. Speedpile is basically a free-for-all clusterfuck.

Havok

Ramirez said:
If you want a variety of stupid gametypes, play Action Sack.

If Speedflag is anything like Speedpile, then it is one of th dumbest things to ever grace matchmaking. Games with whacky speed settings or anything like that have no place whatsoever in a legitimate normal playlist.

Why do I feel so out of touch with what gamers want today? Living Dead, Grifball, Speedpile, etc. These are not the things that made me fall in love with Halo, I don't even think the majority of people who play Halo even like actual core Halo anymore, just stupid made up gametypes that could just as well be in any FPS.
We're starting to be old, grumpy men.
Domino Theory said:
Team Objective averaged 400 players at any given time, but one 24K jackpot later and now it's in the upper thousands.
Most of whom are terrible players/aren't even slightly interested in doing anything but Slayer.

Weirdly enough, matchmaking search times have skyrocketed along with the population in Objective. While the low population was depressing as a sign of the times, looking back it made for a more competitive playlist (judging from the quality of some of the games yesterday).
Hey You said:
Haven't you ever wanted to be able to defend yourself while carrying the flag when your team mates weren't around?
No, because thats one of the things that defines Objective as a whole for me; if you can defend yourself with the flag from whatever distance, the teamwork bar is lowered. Why wait for the 'Hog pickup when you can just run guns a'blazing to the teleporter?

Hey You

Ramirez said:
If you want a variety of stupid gametypes, play Action Sack.
Haven't you ever wanted to be able to defend yourself while carrying the flag when your team mates weren't around?

I'm not asking for it to replace the regular CTF, but just incorporate it into the Team Objective playlist.

I'm sure that some objective players will come back if 343i modifies credit payouts for Objective games.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Havok said:
We're starting to be old, grumpy men.

Most of whom are terrible players/aren't even slightly interested in doing anything but Slayer.

I don't blame them. You are not rewarded in any way, shape or form for playing the Objective, but you get +11 cR for every headshot.

Which is more enticing to your average player? :)

Havok

Domino Theory said:
I don't blame them. You are not rewarded in any way, shape or form for playing the Objective, but you get +11 cR for every headshot.

Yeah, I know that on some level its a problem with the player investment system...but I also don't like looking around at a world where people don't play games for fun anymore, but instead to see a bigger number pop up. I get why it works (I recently did a Neuro study on motivational systems, and it was pretty applicable), but I don't think its very healthy long-term.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Domino Theory said:

If it was +500 cR it would make Snipers and SWAT the most popular gametypes. :O

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
Ghaleon, you were SO close to dying at the point when you were running back to your base, and you jumped up because you saw (and heard) the Revanent coming towards you, but instead of zooming right under you, it zooms right over you.
Yup, I was rather surprised to see the thing go soaring over my head. :lol

I'll be online for another (futile) round of Team Objective in search of the jackpot in about an hour and a half. 11 games yesterday and 12 today and no dice.

Tunavi

Banned
Plywood said:
If it was +500 cR it would make Snipers and SWAT the most popular gametypes. :O
Hey wouldn't it be funny if living dead was the most popular playlist in Reach????

:(

Just played Halo 3 for a while. The lag was unbearable, outrageous amounts of quitting, and even winning games wasn't that fun. I've totally adapted to Reach.

Karl2177

All of these issues of framerate and core experiences could be solved if it was a pc game. Then again people would complain that having it on pc would ruin the experience that is Halo. I guess I just wish Bungie had left us more options to play the game the way that we want to play the game.

Ramirez said:
If you want a variety of stupid gametypes, play Action Sack...

...Why do I feel so out of touch with what gamers want today? Living Dead, Grifball, Speedpile, etc. These are not the things that made me fall in love with Halo, I don't even think the majority of people who play Halo even like actual core Halo anymore, just stupid made up gametypes that could just as well be in any FPS.
You are not alone. It could be an age thing. Not sure.
Tunavi said:
Hey wouldn't it be funny if living dead was the most popular playlist in Reach????
:(

Just played Halo 3 for a while. The lag was unbearable, outrageous amounts of quitting, and even winning games wasn't that fun. I've totally adapted to Reach.
Don't do it Tunavi!!! NOOOOOOO!
you've been institutionalized
Someone needs to make a gif out of this for Reach: Institutionalized but start it 30 seconds into clip.

Tawpgun

Tunavi said:
I had the same feeling when I went back. Hitscan > H3 BR... but Bloom.. I dunno. When your DMR works as intended its glorious and better than H3 BR in ever way. When the bloom bullshits you you'd take the BR anyday.

A27 Tawpgun said:
I had the same feeling when I went back. Hitscan > H3 BR... but Bloom.. I dunno. When your DMR works as intended its glorious and better than H3 BR in ever way. When the bloom bullshits you you'd take the BR anyday.

I agree. H3 on LAN still rocks though.

Ramirez

Domino Theory said:
XP. Tons and tons of XP. That's all that needs to be done to change peoples' perception of Halo's core gameplay. If the game is rewarding a player for any and everything the player does, even if they're losing horrendousy, they'll stick around and deal with it. Why? They'll get that money honey in the end, regardless of how the match played out.

XP/Credit systems is the worst addition to games this gen, no idea why every game had to turn into a MMO grind to make people want to continue playing it. I thought that was what great gameplay was for...*mind boggled*

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Ramirez said:
XP/Credit systems is the worst addition to games this gen, no idea why every game had to turn into a MMO grind to make people want to continue playing it. I thought that was what great gameplay was for...*mind boggled*
Hey if you don't have XP or credits, you can always have hats!

WNIfG.jpg

It's because people want to get something for investing there time into a game so they don't feel as if it was all for naught.

kylej

Banned
hit the credit cap for the first time. Sorry Bungie, I apologize for playing too much of your game today.

Save us Frankie.

kylej said:
hit the credit cap for the first time. Sorry Bungie, I apologize for playing too much of your game today.
Yeah, I don't understand why there's still a credit cap.

I understand the desire to stop players that have found an exploit, but at this point is that really an issue any more? Resetting FF idlers and full-party boosters seems to do a good enough job of that without making a cap necessary.

Not to mention it becomes more of an issue as you level up and earn more credits per game (a concept that I have problems with anyways).

Hey You

kylej said:
Yeah, the credit cap is ridiculous. The credit cap should atleast go up over time as you rank increases.

Ramirez

Plywood said:
It's because people want to get something for investing there time into a game so they don't feel as if it was all for naught.

Because that imaginary armor/weapon skin makes all the difference.

Tawpgun

Ugh... I really hope, in an age where all the industry does is copy off trends that Halo will be the one game that jumps the other way. Bringing it back to the gameplay we fell in love in while still giving us variety, player investment, and all the other modern stuff.

Just make sure the core experience is fun for EVERYONE. That's the key word. Armor Lock, Evade, Jet Pack, and other armor abilities are fun to use against other people, but not fun if they're used against you.

I know its easier said than done, but we need to be able to have the best BTB in the series. The best 4 v 4 in the series. TONS of customization. Make Forge 2.0 look primitive. Make us wonder how we got by with out limited custom game options. Spend time promoting things that will be HUGE in the actual game and not all the firefight customizations no one ever uses.

Bring back a skill based, win/loss (with maybe some individual performance thrown in) ranking system. But the problem is how to prevent the plague of boosters and second accounters that ruined Halo 3 Ranked.

Not going to lie, 343 has their work cut out for them. But I have hope, especially from Domino's old post, that 343 knows what we really want. Believe.

Kunohara

GhaleonEB said:
Yup, I was rather surprised to see the thing go soaring over my head. :lol

I'll be online for another (futile) round of Team Objective in search of the jackpot in about an hour and a half. 11 games yesterday and 12 today and no dice.

I must be really lucky with jackpots. This weekend and the last, it only took me 2-5 games to get the 24k jackpot.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Ugh... I really hope, in an age where all the industry does is copy off trends that Halo will be the one game that jumps the other way. Bringing it back to the gameplay we fell in love in while still giving us variety, player investment, and all the other modern stuff.

Just make sure the core experience is fun for EVERYONE. That's the key word. Armor Lock, Evade, Jet Pack, and other armor abilities are fun to use against other people, but not fun if they're used against you.

I know its easier said than done, but we need to be able to have the best BTB in the series. The best 4 v 4 in the series. TONS of customization. Make Forge 2.0 look primitive. Make us wonder how we got by with out limited custom game options. Spend time promoting things that will be HUGE in the actual game and not all the firefight customizations no one ever uses.

Bring back a skill based, win/loss (with maybe some individual performance thrown in) ranking system. But the problem is how to prevent the plague of boosters and second accounters that ruined Halo 3 Ranked.

Not going to lie, 343 has their work cut out for them. But I have hope, especially from Domino's old post, that 343 knows what we really want. Believe.

343 does not have their work cut out for them, they are stepping up to the plate for the first time, and I want them to make a great game..... but...

01.jpg

CyReN

A27 Tawpgun said:

At this point I rather get cheated/have boosters than play with/or against players that are very new to the game/lack gaming "skills or are godlike. Those unranked factors make MM a nightmare especially trying to play MLG.

I miss h2/h3 rankings.

Tawpgun

A27_StarWolf said:
343 does not have their work cut out for them, they are stepping up to the plate for the first time, and I want them to make a great game..... but...

01.jpg

Of course they do. They are a brand new studio that together, has never made a full game before, and they have to take on Halo. One of the biggest games out right now and the Xbox's flagship title.

And they have to follow Bungie, who despite the flaws in Reach and the other Halo's, has been, and still is, one of the best developers in the world.

If 343 fails to deliver, people will start to think it's the beginning of the end for the Halo franchise.

As for a solution for the boosters... I have a few suggestions.

1. After you hit 50, you enter into a "Pro Ranks" or something. It's a matchmaking hopper designed for the people who are already a 50 and want something more. This will almost be like The Arena in that its a separate ranking system from the rest of the game. You will go through another set of ranks in this hopper. Maybe 1-50 again but with a twist (meaning not numbers)

2. Make it like Halo 2. Getting a 50 is REALLY FUCKING HARD. Not the easymode it was in Halo 3. The anti-cheating measures now are fantastic and should prevent the illegitimate 50's and modders from dominating those ranks like they did in Halo 2. This will prevent the hordes of people boosting to get 50's and selling them. Only the best of the BEST will be able to reach the last rank.

3. Expand upon The Arena with a Starcraft Esque league system.

GhaleonEB

Hey You said:
Yeah, the credit cap is ridiculous. The credit cap should atleast go up over time as you rank increases.
This is the simple, easy solution. Really, I think the credit cap should have been lifted once the last ranks were unlocked back in November. But scaling it (way) up by rank would make the most sense, since players at a high rank can make several times the cR of someone in a lower rank for the same game.

Speaking of cR, I had a game of 2x Attack in Firefight Doubles where the other player quit out early. I decided to run an experiment. It seems like the Doubles playlist pays out around double what Score Attack does, so to test that I let the last Elite in my Doubles game chase me around the last few minutes, killing him with 10 seconds remaining on the clock. I then played a game of 2x Attack in the Score Attack playlist and did the same.

In Firefight Doubles, the game complete bonus was 3,179 cR, and in Score Attack it was 1,589, one credit away from exactly double (which I'll chalk up my imprecise timing). (Noble rank.) So, yeah, Doubles pays out twice what Score Attack does for the game complete bonus. Of course, with two players, you're getting less in commendation credits, but on balance it works out in your favor.

On an unrelated note, I had one of the most hilarious moments ever in Firefight doing the second 2x game. I helped a hammer wielding Brute grenade jump at the moment when he would least liked to have grenade jumped. Poor guy.

Mik2121

BTW, there's one thing I don't understand about cR. If you are on a CTF game and it takes you forever to finish the game, you can get like 1000 or 2000 cR. Ok. But if you completely destroy the enemy and capture the flag 3 times in like a couple minutes, you get like... 80cR for the whole game? :S What's the deal with that? :(

GhaleonEB

Mik2121 said:
BTW, there's one thing I don't understand about cR. If you are on a CTF game and it takes you forever to finish the game, you can get like 1000 or 2000 cR. Ok. But if you completely destroy the enemy and capture the flag 3 times in like a couple minutes, you get like... 80cR for the whole game? :S What's the deal with that? :(
The Game Complete bonus is time-based across all playlists. The longer the game, the more cR you get (there's a cap to each rank).

In objective games, it should be reversed, so the winning team has a reason to end the game quickly. A fast game should be worth more than a short one, and that would discourage grinding.

Speaking of which, while I like the Commendation system for the most part, I feel like a separate set should have been built for objective and slayer game types. So in Slayer you get the usual mix, but for objective, they're all about the goals. And the reward is team based, so if you cap a flag, and everyone on your team gets 100 cR, for example. That way there's no reason for CTF to turn into Slayer.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Mik2121 said:

You get more cR for trolling bad players. =)

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Ramirez said:
Because that imaginary armor/weapon skin makes all the difference.
Well clearly it's all most people care about in Reach because it sure seems to do wonder for player population in playlist which would otherwise be all but dead, namely Arena and Objective. There's a number of things to blame, gameplay and the credits reward system come to mind, rewarding people not based on performance but for how long the game lasted makes no sense whatsoever for example. But I don't want to go on about all the problems with Reach because they've been discussed to great lengths here and elsewhere. I will say the main issue is that Reach is not the Halo's of old, it is Reach and while it's a good game in it's own right, it's not a good Halo necessarily.

Save us Frankie?

Ryaaan14

Banned
Mik2121 said:
Well if you completely destroy your opponent, you shouldn't really be rewarded as it was an uneven matchup. It could also lead to the system being severely exploited.

Havok

Ryaaan14 said:
Well if you completely destroy your opponent, you shouldn't really be rewarded as it was an uneven matchup. It could also lead to the system being severely exploited.
Then don't place the blame on the players and remove their reward, blame the matchmaking system that can't get an even match together to save its damn life.

ElRenoRaven

WTF?!!?!

So this game I get the flag and am inches from scoring when Brohski or whatever the hell his name is betrays me and scores. Surprise. Then the game goes on but with me of course making his life hell. Then it drops everyone from the game ends it and tallies up my points. It gives me my credits. I then go to Bungie.net and see that it shows I didn't finish the game. WTF? Seriously?

It also reminds me of why I hate fucking objective gametypes with a passion.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
PsychoRaven said:
WTF?!!?!

So this game I get the flag and am inches from scoring when Brohski or whatever the hell his name is betrays me and scores. Surprise. Then the game goes on but with me of course making his life hell. Then it drops everyone from the game ends it and tallies up my points. It gives me my credits. I then go to Bungie.net and see that it shows I didn't finish the game. WTF? Seriously?

It also reminds me of why I hate fucking objective gametypes with a passion.

You simply lagged out of the game. Check your router or connection.

ElRenoRaven

Dani said:
You simply lagged out of the game. Check your router or connection.

Can't be that because the other day I had it happen to me and one other guy on the same team and we weren't partied up then. So how could two people lag out then together? Both get credits then be back together in the post game lobby? And that game showed we had won that one because we were on the same team.

Either way more then anything I was mainly pissed by the asshole who killed me so he could score. Just pisses me off how childish some people can act in a damn game.

GhaleonEB

Co-op campaign playlist is usually a decent place to find players who want to play together well, but my last two games have been filled with guys betraying each other. I just did a no-death run on Exodus with one other player who promptly betrays me right after we hit the switch at the end. It counts as a death. He sends me a message calling me a 'fag' afterward to boot. :\

Similar thing in my last game on Nightfall, getting sniped near the very end. The co-op playlist used to be a bit of a haven from the shitheads that rule the rest of matchmaking, alas.

wwm0nkey

Anyone else think that Halo 4 should be a 2 disc game?

Disc 1: Single Player only jammed with missions 10+ hours

Disc 2: MP with a lot of maps and featuring Conquest mode (basically ChromeHounds online system)

.....would be the game of forever.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
wwm0nkey said:
Anyone else think that Halo 4 should be a 2 disc game?

Disc 1: Single Player only jammed with missions 10+ hours

Disc 2: MP with a lot of maps and featuring Conquest mode (basically ChromeHounds online system)

.....would be the game of forever.

Love how you suggest something not unreasonable and use it to sideways fart a silly suggestion out.

KuGsj.gif

Booties

Banned
best man is p nasty at mlg. I wish I enjoyed playing reach mlg as much as I did h3. I think it's forge world and AAs that make me hate it.

Ramirez said:
If it were possible to go into an alternate universe, I'd be really interested in seeing how Reach was faring at this point, if Credits had been left out of the game. That's the most disturbing question to think about in my opinion. Are credits and challenges the main driving force keeping Reach matchmaking alive?

Deputy Moonman said:
If it were possible to go into an alternate universe, I'd be really interested in seeing how Reach was faring at this point, if Credits had been left out of the game. That's the most disturbing question to think about in my opinion. Are credits and challenges the main driving force keeping Reach matchmaking alive?

No, donging is the main aspect keeping Reach alive.

feel

Domino Theory said:
Thank you, Letters, for starting a new meme!
The .gif was made because of the meme, I think kylej started it (maybe it was juices, or ram?), he's been using that line for a while.

wwm0nkey

Deputy Moonman said:
Honestly? Probably.

xxjuicesxx said:
No, donging is the main aspect keeping Reach alive.
I know I'm not giving the game itself enough credit, but what would the playlist populations be like if there weren't credits to keep them healthy? I know I can't really attribute everything to credits and challenges, alone, but I'm sure there is some truth behind the thought.

Are there up to three people here interested in playing Team Objective who promise NOT to vote for Oddball or Crazy King?

I've played about 10 matches in a row cause randoms just wanna shoot some dudes in the face.

Top Bottom