• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Tashi0106 said:
How is it overly complicated?

Because technically you are still able to be damaged during the lock. And it depends on the other player too, I imagine some latency would have really bad consequences with the way the system would need to check both players at different times, report back to host then report the consequences back to the player.

Maybe it's just the way I'm looking at it.

GhaleonEB

I liked the whole deleting armor lock thing. As a concept, I can't come up with any way it's a fun gameplay mechanic. It's a pure counter that brings combat to a halt, and no amount of rework will get around that. It was just plain a bad idea.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Lazslo said:
If there isn't at least one full-size ARG for either CEA, Halo:4 or Destiny- I'll be real bummed. IRIS was awesome and I heard ILB's was even better. When there was NOTHING at all for Reach, I was kinda shocked. There was so much potential for an ARG with the story of Reach- they could of paid 42 to do it, shit even 343 could of produced it- Franky's writing was the reason IRIS was so fun. It just doesn't make sense, after Halo:2/ILB and Halo:3/IRIS- on Bungie's last Halo game they didn't even make a small ARG- there was nothing.
Would have been fun. We took a stab at a few rough treatments, but never got any good traction. Shift+Delete.

Dax01 said:
Duncan, disagreements (i.e., things you forgot to mention)
1. You can't make AL work. It needs to be removed.
I'm still not a huge fan, but I've warmed up to the idea of sacrificing Sprint for the ability to survive splatters. I think limiting it to 1 second bursts (or 3 seconds with complete shield loss) should keep it from being used against bullet damage.
2. Camo shouldn't be reusable and needs to return to its proper form like in Halo 2/3
Funny story, I actually remembered today that we've had the Active Camo Armor Ability since Halo 2 - as the Arbiter. I think Camo is great for sneaking into a base as part of a coordinated attack, and that's more easily done when you can wait until the attack is ready to activate it. The limited battery and scope tweaks should keep it from being exploited like it is in Reach.
3. Overshield needs to return.
Sure. Powerups can still work fine alongside Armor Equipment, so long as you account for the consequences of giving a Spartan with Sprint or Jetpack an overshield.
4. If AAs return as pick-up items in Halo 4, and if they have to be reusable, I think six times for any item is too much. Three seems to be a safer bet.
Eh, it's something that would need testing to pin down. I was just making up numbers. But you have to make the pickups worth getting - is anyone really going to fight over a Hologram you can only use 3 times?
5. Bubble shield needs to return to its proper form in Halo 3. Though I do like your idea of people on the inside not being able to look out.
Wait, so what else needs to be more like Halo 3 from what I said? The deploy time/animation? Or are you just agreeing with me? nvm, forgot I said it should still have health regen. But that's to balance the lack of vision, otherwise no one would ever walk into it.
6. Jetpack is one time use.
How do you define one-time use? Seems like that could make it really easy to fall to your death. I like how it functions now, but it should definitely have a short fuel supply to keep players from just flying around all the time. I figured an amount of fuel equal to 2 full bars that Reach's AA has, but retaining the cooldown between uses.

Havok

The Antitype said:
Could Bungie please just rip Reflection out of match-making. There isn't a mode that the map is fun to play on. Not even 1-flag.

It was a bad map in the Halo 2 sandbox, it's worse in Reach.
Reflection is great now that there's no jetpack to completely ruin it, especially 1-flag. Haven't seen 1-bomb on there, it needs to be added (with dual arm points).
Dax01 said:
5. Bubble shield needs to return to its proper form in Halo 3.
I haven't had a chance to read the article yet, but if by this you mean it should be indestructible...do not want. External destructibility plus health regen are the only things that the Drop Shield got right.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Dani said:
Because technically you are still able to be damaged during the lock. And it depends on the other player too, I imagine some latency would have really bad consequences with the way the system would need to check both players at different times, report back to host then report the consequences back to the player.

Maybe it's just the way I'm looking at it.
Yea, you're right, latency could cause some issues. But then again, latency fucks with a lot of things.

Nutter

Armor Lock can be fixed by giving it a damage threshold.

After certain amount of damage, the user automatically comes out of armor lock, this way if you armor lock a sticky grenade or an incoming rocket, you will survive but you will instantly lose your armor lock and come out having to fight. You also make it something that can be used once every 2-3 minutes just like powerups :)

Evade however, that shit just needs to die in a fire.

Lazslo

urk said:
Would have been fun. We took a stab at a few rough treatments, but never got any good traction. Shift+Delete.
Welp, you guys were probably swamped with polishing Reach and Dev on the New thang. Maybe it's your destiny for an ARG on the next project. Believe.
see what I did thurr

vhfive

Nutter said:

After certain amount of damage, the user automatically comes out of armor lock, this way if you armor lock a sticky grenade or an incoming rocket, you will survive but you will instantly lose your armor lock and come out having to fight. You also make it something that can be used once every 2-3 minutes just like powerups :)

oh shit I'm 1v1 against someone better than.
*evade* *evade*
LAWL I'm on the other side of the map

Tashi

Nutter said:

That's actually a good idea.

Evade only works as a pick up or on large maps as a loadout.

ncsuDuncan said:
Funny story, I actually remembered today that we've had the Active Camo Armor Ability since Halo 2 - as the Arbiter. I think Camo is great for sneaking into a base as part of a coordinated attack, and that's more easily done when you can wait until the attack is ready to activate it. The limited battery and scope tweaks should keep it from being exploited like it is in Reach.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I used invisibility to sneak into the bases on Avalanche all the time. There's no need to adapt invisibility to make it like everything else when it worked perfectly fine before.
Eh, it's something that would need testing to pin down. I was just making up numbers. But you have to make the pickups worth getting - is anyone really going to fight over a Hologram you can only use 3 times?
I think three times is good enough if you don't have it so other equipment of the same kind can't respawn while somebody has a particular equipment.
forgot I said it should still have health regen. But that's to balance the lack of vision, otherwise no one would ever walk into it.
I really don't think a regeneration capability is needed to balance the lack of vision. Chances are the only reason someone would deploy a bubble shield is if they're in a screwy situation and they need to level the playing field as best as possible. Giving them a regenerating capability would not only level the playing field but would tip it in their favor. Having the ability to heal up while inside the bubble shield would only help them – especially if they have a flag, a bomb, a sword, or a shotgun.

The regeneration ability should either be removed and made its own entity or removed from the game entirely.

Edit: Keep in mind I'm saying this based on the fact that the bubble shield is invincible, which is what added to the fun.
How do you define one-time use?
A certain amount of "fuel." But to be honest, I don't like jetpack and rather see it gone.
Seems like that could make it really easy to fall to your death.
Not if we have no fall damage! :p

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, I could really go for a good ARG. The only one I've ever followed was I Love Bees. A new one sounds really fun.

Lazslo

ncsuDuncan said:
Funny story, I actually remembered today that we've had the Active Camo Armor Ability since Halo 2 - as the Arbiter.
Whoaaa- I never even realized that. It was even implemented similar.

Tunavi

Banned
Letters said:
(unrelated)
warning: the following could be a bit depressing, highlight only if you don't care
I also went to spend some time closer to my father today at the cemetery, passed away a couple of months ago because of cancer :( :( :(
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE nobody quote or mention in the thread something about what I just wrote, don't want to ruin the mood for everyone
my dad had to fly back east last night. My grandfather is dying, he had a stroke last week, can't talk or anything. he's 89. When he was my age, he was fighting in WWII. Got a few legendary medals, silver star and purple heart. What a great man. :(

Havok said:
Reflection is great now that there's no jetpack to completely ruin it, especially 1-flag. Haven't seen 1-bomb on there, it needs to be added (with dual arm points).

I've never played a match in Reflection, on any gametype, that didn't play out the exact same way. It's an incredibly one-dimensional experience playing that map, and very boring.

Plus, I just finished a 1-flag map where I was gunned down from behind by freshly spawning enemies like 5 times, none of which had to walk more than 10 feet to do it.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Letters said:
(unrelated)
warning: the following could be a bit depressing, highlight only if you don't care
I also went to spend some time closer to my father today at the cemetery, passed away a couple of months ago because of cancer :( :( :(
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE nobody quote or mention in the thread something about what I just wrote, don't want to ruin the mood for everyone
I know you don't want everyone quoting and bogging the thread down but it seems a couple of us are sharing. My father died 10 years ago and my uncle just died on the 6th. They both were great people who were loved very deeply. My father died from blood loss from being shot in his thigh(femoral artery) and my uncle died after a four month struggle in the hospital. I want to say I'm sorry for your loss. But it's not about how they died, it is about how they lived and those they cared for and loved. Remember him and remember him fondly cause for those that are gone, they live on in our memory.

Lazslo

omg.kittens said:
Damn, I could really go for a good ARG. The only one I've ever followed was I Love Bees. A new one sounds really fun.
Yeah it would be good times to discover the Bungie's New World for the first time by an elaborate ARG closely followed by the game coming out soon after.
Laszlo's Wish List:
1) CEA Destiny ARG
2) Halo 2 Multiplayer Re-birthed on Xbox-Live. I Don't care about a Campaign remake whatsoever. When Empire Strikes Back was remastered it still hurt.
3 A community integrated Bungie Day that will blow freakin' minds by announcing new Reach Multiplayer that comes out before November. They don't even have to be free; after all, we are not communist. But even if this doesn't happen- Bungie Day is always a good time so I'm sure they won't disappoint. You can always tell those dudes really care about their fans.
4 343 Makes changes to the DRM by removing bloom and promoting skilled shots and discouraging weapon spam. Also adding 1 or 2 bullets to the pistol so it stands a chance against Dax's AR.
5 HaloWayPoint adds the release Date of Video's they post on WayPoint. Not sure if this was added yet but it would be nice to see what the video your watched was released.
omg.kittens said:
Exactly. The steampunk aesthetic really doesn't appeal to me, but if the world is interesting and compelling enough, I'll be sucked in regardless of style. An ARG would be the perfect first introduction to that new world.
Joke Post? It's not a Steampunk aesthetic I Believe Urk confirmed this couple days ago. I could be very wrong though as always.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Lazslo said:
Yeah it would be good times to discover the Bungie's New World for the first time by an elaborate ARG closely followed by the game coming out soon after.
Exactly. The steampunk aesthetic really doesn't appeal to me, but if the world is interesting and compelling enough, I'll be sucked in regardless of style. An ARG would be the perfect first introduction to that new world.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
omg.kittens said:
The steampunk shoot was for a small, local developer. We just provided the public space and marveled at the attendees.

kylej

Banned
Ramirez said:
Happy Father's Day Halo Daddies!

259903_10150214234311989_510981988_7378574_172498_n.jpg

I'm training the donger of the future over here.

Happy Father's Day. I expect her first word to be "BR".

That or "Veto".

Tawpgun

One suggestion for the jetpack would be to make it act like sprint in that you can't shoot while jetpacking. It wouldn't fix the map breaking properties it has, but at least it would be less annoying.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
urk said:
The steampunk shoot was for a small, local developer. We just provided the public space and marveled at the attendees.
Hah, I dunno if I should believe you. What was with the zeppelins added to that banner on B.net, then? I guess that could be a teaser for Bungie Aerospace, but it just fits in way too well with the steampunk rumor. Unless there's something I'm totally missing, I'm going to have to call your bluff. :p

kylej said:
Happy Father's Day. I expect her first word to be "BR".

That or "Veto".
:lol

A27 Tawpgun said:
One suggestion for the jetpack would be to make it act like sprint in that you can't shoot while jetpacking. It wouldn't fix the map breaking properties it has, but at least it would be less annoying.

The solution is jet boots!

what if you made a height that jet pack could not go over.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
omg.kittens said:
Hah, I dunno if I should believe you. What was with the zeppelins added to that banner on B.net, then? I guess that could be a teaser for Bungie Aerospace, but it just fits in way too well with the steampunk rumor. Unless there's something I'm totally missing, I'm going to have to call your bluff. :p

:lol
Maybe I just really like blimps!

Dani said:
That sounds overly complicated though.

Try making Armour Lock one use per charge, keep the recharge rate the same. Make the Lock last for only a few seconds (go by shield strength, full shields 3 seconds, half, 1.5 seconds), take away the frosting when you come out of it and make it automatically strip your shields when you come out.
I think Armor Lock's main purpose, which is to survive blast that would otherwise kill you immediately (rocket impact, grenade stick, etcetera) could be kept, but the execution is rather flawed. Basically, what I was thinking was: replace Armor Lock with Shield Overcharge. It only lasts one second, so it only protects you from 'big hitters', and it doesn't activate a third-person view, either. It also drains your shields, so it's something to be used sparingly. You run, you see a rocket or such incoming, you overcharge, deflect, and keep running. Recharge times are about the same as Armor Lock has now, or perhaps longer.

For CQC purposes, you could add another purpose to it: a slight EMP effect. If you're being meleed, or attacked with a CQC weapon, you can overcharge your shield, and level the playing field. Both combatants don't have any shields anymore then, so it's up to who's the quickest. (Though latency would be a bit in this regard.)

But, of course, I'll (probably) never get to make a Halo game, so you won't have to worry about me ruining multiplayer. :lol

vhfive

A27 Tawpgun said:
b-b-but then there won't be anymore firebird challenges
true story, on days when there are firebird challenges I tend to stay away mm

O D I N

OuterWorldVoice said:
Run don't walk.

"it was a Culture terror weapon. Designed to instruct and inform at the highest levels."

As a man who loves Sci-fi (my parents raised me well (Happy Father's day HaloGAF dads!)), I'm interested in what you're quoting/referencing (couldn't find Mr.Big's original post).

MrBig

Tunavi said:
now THATS a map editor
Yes, it's a shame we cannot create our own (really and truly original) maps in Halo. Right now me and some friends are hoping (based on the vague description that Hitmonchan was able to obtain) that Aerospace is Bungie's Blam! SDK and that they could be doing something similar to Valve's handling of community maps, and leaving it open to Bungie's future projects. I know the reality of the legal and upkeep situation but I can still dream.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
MrBig said:
Yes, it's a shame we cannot create our own (really and truly original) maps in Halo. Right now me and some friends are hoping (based on the vague description that Hitmonchan was able to obtain) that Aerospace is Bungie's Blam! SDK and that they could be doing something similar to Valve's handling of community maps, and leaving it open to Bungie's future projects. I know the reality of the legal and upkeep situation but I can still dream.
Bungie Aerospace doesn't have anything to do with the Halos.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Ryaaan14 said:
Thinking of the internal testing for that brings a smile to my face.
I got my braces stuck in Stosh's neckbeard.

Repro steps: you don't want to know.

kylej

Banned
Ramirez said:
HE is so beautiful that he gets mistaken for a girl a lot, it's ok. :p

Sorry man, his shirt had "Chick" on it so I made a leap of faith. I choked.

Deputy Moonman said:
Bungie Aerospace is going to be an adult dating website isn't it? I figured it out.

I want an option to sort women by robotic arm size.

Tashi

So my co-worker who's like 60 today asks me, "So what's the symbol on your shirt mean?"

I say, "Bungie Aerospace"

"Bungie Aerospace?" he says while chuckling. "Bungie as in Bungie cord??"

"No you old shit, Bungie as in your future fucking overlords!"

That would have been awesome

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
FyreWulff said:
Speaking of which, when are we going to hear details on what will happen with Bungie Pro?
We'll support it for as long as we have access to the back end infrastructure we need. That date isn't super concrete right now, so I can't give you a date. Sooner than we'd all like, no doubt.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
kylej said:
Sorry man, his shirt had "Chick" on it so I made a leap of faith. I choked.

I want an option to sort women by robotic arm size.
Not to crush your fantasy, but it'd be like putting your junk in a Home Depot paint mixer.

FyreWulff

urk said:
We'll support it for as long as we have access to the back end infrastructure we need. That date isn't super concrete right now, so I can't give you a date. Sooner than we'd all like, no doubt.

Well, hopefully 343 has "Halo Pro" or something after they lock you guys out. It'd totally suck to be stuck with only 6 FS slots. Reminds me that I should probably get some more gamertags Pro'd up sooner than later so I can get more files onto the Repository while I still can.

GhaleonEB

FyreWulff said:
Well, hopefully 343 has "Halo Pro" or something after they lock you guys out. It'd totally suck to be stuck with only 6 FS slots. Reminds me that I should probably get some more gamertags Pro'd up sooner than later so I can get more files onto the Repository while I still can.
I'll be bummed to lose the slots, but I'm much more bummed about losing video rendering, which is why I've been rendering the heck out of so many videos. I doubt Microsoft has their version of the hydra being readied.

FyreWulff

GhaleonEB said:
I'll be bummed to lose the slots, but I'm much more bummed about losing video rendering, which is why I've been rendering the heck out of so many videos. I doubt Microsoft has their version of the hydra being readied.

SEATTLE, WA 9:00am (AP)

A building burned down at the Microsoft campus today after a very large server was installed at their test facilities. Nobody was hurt. One of the engineers who oversaw installation of the Bungie Hydra was quoted as saying "Science has gone too far. First ducks with biceps, now film rendering? I didn't even know you could do that with an Xbox 360. That totally broke the terms of the EULA."

Bungie could not be reached for comment at time of printing.

Top Bottom