• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Striker

I must be one of the few who didn't care for the majority of ODST Firefight maps. On second thought, Reach's weren't thrilling either.

ODST maps I enjoyed: Lost Platoon, Last Exit

I s'pose I didn't care for maps like Crater because they felt linear and cramped. Size being a reason I didn't care for much of Reach's FF maps, either. A quirk I have for those maps is how Bungie decided to closely put together the weapon caches. Some maps are pretty damn large (Glacier, Beachhead, Waterfront) when you actually walk around, but they have the caches within 20 feet or so. With limited ammo on, many players don't usually venture too far off, but they didn't give us a reason to.

Botolf said:
But, if delete you must, there's only way to go about it.

Code:
//
// [Everything Armor Lock here]
//
//
// Sweet dreams, you piece of shit.

More like.

If(armourlock == true){
Player.SpontanouslyCombust();
}

Infact that should be the Bungie day treat, any time anyone uses armour lock they should just explode. :p

I think Reach needs a good vehicle Firefight map, it would get boring as soon as the novelty wore off, but having a Banshee or Falcon would be a lot of fun, if a little overpowered.

Willeth

FyreWulff said:
The main thing ODST was missing was a time limit option. Which was weird because the demo kiosk versions had a time limit. Would have been nice instead of everyone having to commit suicide to end a match cleanly for stats purposes.

Then again, ODST does this weird thing where it delays 360 Live popups (ie Invite Sent, ___ is online) by around 30 seconds. It was never mentioned by any reviews in the press or by anybody really, I thought it was pretty noticable.
Yeah, this is something that really irked me about ODST (and I'm amazed it got through cert). I'm on an original Pro.

Fuck off haters!

reach_14641855_Full.jpg

Dani said:
Hear Guilty Spark speak in Halo Anniversary

Crap quality sound only recording of the Terminal video they showed off behind closed doors to the press.
Hm. His voice sounds a little different. Same actor, right?
The Antitype said:
Bungie. Your matchmaking is shit.

I live in Vancouver, Canada.

I am searching for CONNECTION.

STOP putting me into games with people from England you worthless fucktards.
Right. Because calling people at Bungie "worthless fucktards" is going to make them eager to fix whatever you want done.

I can't wait till Battle Creek becomes a map in matchmaking. I've never played it in Halo 2 matchmaking but today, I had 2 great matches on it in the Classic playlist.

Btw, is there a difference between the Halo CE version and the Halo 2 version of the map?

Tha Robbertster said:
I can't wait till Battle Creek becomes a map in matchmaking. I've never played it in Halo 2 matchmaking but today, I had 2 great matches on it in the Classic playlist.

Btw, is there a difference between the Halo CE version and the Halo 2 version of the map?
No ladders in the H2 version, if I recall correctly.

Also, yay for a Firefight weekly.

Tha Robbertster said:

EDIT: Beaten by Squidhands. That's what having 8 limbs gets you.

Striker

Tha Robbertster said:

I believe it's Beaver Creek, and it's one of the best 4v4 symmetrical maps in the Halo series.

Tawpgun

Dream Bungie Day

-Megalo
-New Forgeworld
-Tease of new game
- Life size fathead of Jason Jones underwear pic.
and then everything they've confirmed so far.

I'm so puuuuumped.I know Bungie is going to hand off the torch with a bang.

xxjuicesxx said:
Fuck off haters!

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n97/xxjuicesxx/reach_14641855_Full.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
[B]Juices in real life[/B]
[IMG]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q253/sponger14/an_armor_lock_hero.jpg

ElRenoRaven

The Real Napsta said:
He just mentions off hand that Halo CEA has kinect support. It's in the first two minutes.

Not really.

Son of a... first 20 seconds it seems. Well it has begun. Let's shove kinect bullshit into everything. I am going to be rethinking my preorder now. Key point rethinking. I will wait to find out more first. I'm not happy though.

feel

I just hope 343 will understand that complete kinect gameplay isn't what the Halo players want. The core controlles should stay the same. Maybe some gametypes/modes could use it but is has to stay optional.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
All of this ODST talk makes me want to go play Rally Point. That was my favorite map along with Last Exit and Security Zone. If ODST had skirmishers instead of buggers and change Black Eye from needing to melee to recharge stamina to a reducing recharged rate, it would be spectacular.

Willeth

PsychoRaven said:
Son of a... first 20 seconds it seems. Well it has begun. Let's shove kinect bullshit into everything. I am going to be rethinking my preorder now. Key point rethinking. I will wait to find out more first. I'm not happy though.
I don't understand this viewpoint or its popularity. "I'll buy a game because it's the exact game I played ten years ago and I want to play it again with new graphics on my new system! Wait, it's got a new feature that I can't or won't use that doesn't impact the original game in any way? BOYCOTT!"

GhaleonEB

PsychoRaven said:
Given what we know about CEA, it will be optional integration and so I'm not worried about it. The moment they build Kinect into the core of a Halo game is when I'm done, but so long as I have traditional controls optional stuff doesn't bother me.

Also, for those wondering, 150 waves of Firefight is just 10 games of Arcade (or Doubles, as I'm doing it). It's a cake walk. I'm happy to have a Firefight weekly, but I was hoping for a meatier one. There was that accidental weekly-as-daily early on for surviving 50 rounds without dying; I keep hoping something like that comes around that actually requires some effort, rather than just playing. But Firefight beggars can't be choosers.

MrBig

Willeth said:
I don't understand this viewpoint or its popularity. "I'll buy a game because it's the exact game I played ten years ago and I want to play it again with new graphics on my new system! Wait, it's got a new feature that I can't or won't use that doesn't impact the original game in any way? BOYCOTT!"
Exactly what I was saying in the other thread. I just don't understand how that thought is formed.

As I said in the other thread, all it can be is interaction with the terminals or something in the Extras menu, beyond that it's entirely extraneous.

It's obviously just a Kinect minigame where Sgt. Johnson makes you do pushups.

David Scully knocks it out of the park; with him yelling at players I expect to see a bunch of ripped gamers in the midnight release line for Halo 4.

JonCha

Tha Robbertster said:
I just hope 343 will understand that complete kinect gameplay isn't what the Halo players want. The core controlles should stay the same. Maybe some gametypes/modes could use it but is has to stay optional.

Kinect integration could, and maybe should, be something as subtle as being able to interact with content (artwork, additional music, audio clips etc.) via head-tracking and/or swiping movements. It doesn't have to be in-game. I doubt MS will specify that it has to be actively in the main portion of the product.

Tha Robbertster said:
Halo 4 is going to be using a controller.

JonCha said:
Kinect integration could, and maybe should, be something as subtle as being able to interact with content (artwork, additional music, audio clips etc.) via head-tracking and/or swiping movements. It doesn't have to be in-game. I doubt MS will specify that it has to be actively in the main portion of the product.

What is this head-tracking actually? I've read it in many posts but apperently, it's an term known to all exept me...

Dax01 said:
Halo 4 is going to be using a controller.

I'll never doubt that, but I meant they shoudln't go to far with it.

I'd be interested in doing the Weekly but the payout is too low.

However, if anyone needs a partner to romp along with in Firefight, feel free to PM me about it.

MrBig

Dahellisdat said:
Highlands is not symmetrical.
Have you tried looking at the top-down view? Every component of each side of the base is countered for the other side. It just doesn't look the same.
Mikasangelos said:
Will Reach ever do a double XP weekend?
Double jackpots and Mega-Jackpots have been going on for the last couple months.

Louis Wu

Dax01 said:
I'd be interested in doing the Weekly but the payout is too low.

However, if anyone needs a partner to romp along with in Firefight, feel free to PM me about it.
It's easier than you might be thinking...

It's 150 waves, not 150 rounds. That's just 30 games of Score Attack, or 10 games of Limited (assuming you finish the enemies).

MrBig said:
It's not a copy and flip, not but it's still semi-symmetrical.
Highlands is a symmetrical map too.

Headlong is an example of an asymmetrical map.

The tops of red and blue bases have cover in different places. That alone makes it not symmetrical.

Back to armorlock...

I remember when it was announced in a bwu and there was a paragraph written in a celebratory tone trumpeting the fact that you could shed a plasma grenade after being stuck. This instantly concerned me - sticking people is one of the most satisfying things in Halo and it sounded like a bad idea on paper, and well we all know how it turned out in play
i'm not knocking Urk here on the update, I am an ardent admirer of his prose and think he is too good for us Halo whingers; he should be writing the next Great American novel...or is he who wields the quill writing it into the rules that he is King after world domination?

As for all the people trying to figure out ways to balance it, why waste your breath on something that should be blanket removed in the first place? I literally avoid playlists where it's present. I can't see it being included in Halo 4 after the severity of the backlash on Reach. It is vandalism to Halo gameplay, pure and simple.

GhaleonEB

Mikasangelos said:
what. maybe i havent been noticing.
There is an in-game full page splash notification every time they go up on Friday. If you've played Reach at all from Friday - Sunday over the past couple months, you'd have gotten the notification.

thee henery said:
Back to armorlock...

I remember when it was announced in a bwu and there was a paragraph written in a celebratory tone trumpeting the fact that you could shed a plasma grenade after being stuck. This instantly concerned me - sticking people is one of the most satisfying things in Halo and it sounded like a bad idea on paper, and well we all know how it turned out in play
i'm not knocking Urk here on the update, I am an ardent admirer of his prose and think he is too good for us Halo whingers; he should be writing the next Great American novel...or is he who wields the quill writing it into the rules that he is King after world domination?

As for all the people trying to figure out ways to balance it, why waste your breath on something that should be blanket removed in the first place? I literally avoid playlists where it's present. I can't see it being included in Halo 4 after the severity of the backlash on Reach. It is vandalism to Halo gameplay, pure and simple.

The first time I read about it, I thought it would be awesome. The idea to be able to survive stickies, explosions sounded great to me. I was exited when the beta came and used it all the time. I used it to counter beatdown rushers with te EMP and ofcourse the things it was promoted to do.

But when the full game released, without the EMP function (the one where you become one-shot when you give the armor locker a beatdown) it lost it's ''charm'' to me. Now I see how OP this AA is and how frustrating it is to fight against it. The funny thing is, if Bungie hadn't removed that EMP function, I'd probably still be using it.

Oozer3993 said:
Here it is in action in Forza 4. Head tracking is using the Kinect to sense where you're looking and adjusting the view on screen appropriately.

Wow, looks pretty awesome! Thanks for the video

And I agree, Halo 4 should only have abilities that speed up the gameplay, and either everybody should be able to use the abilities at the same time or they should become pickups again.

Miggytronz

GhaleonEB said:
There is an in-game full page splash notification every time they go up on Friday. If you've played Reach at all from Friday - Sunday over the past couple months, you'd have gotten the notification.

man i dont read them LOL. shiiiiiiiiiiiii

I am just coming back to Reach after a 3+ month hiatus - which I think is actually better than experiencing this game for the first time when it was released.

• I know where the crap is (and where to not look for it)
  • I have a feeling for the controls and new systems put in place
  • More maps
  • Feels good to come back and actually see the good in the gameplay that I might have overlooked when experiencing it for the first time
  • Most of the crap talkers have left for the next flavor of the month

wwm0nkey

So guys anyone want to take bets on what the Kinect feature in Halo CE is?

My bet is on Head Tracking.

EDIT: Though this would effect the core gameplay so its probably not Head Tracking

Blueblur1

ncsuDuncan said:
It's obviously just a Kinect minigame where Sgt. Johnson makes you do pushups.

David Scully knocks it out of the park; with him yelling at players I expect to see a bunch of ripped gamers in the midnight release line for Halo 4.
I love this post. LOL

Top Bottom