• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Ramirez

neoism said:
lulz my dad knew a guy that was in one of those boats... he said he didn't have one blade of hair on him.. :/
lol nice lookin kid Ram, you don't look anything like I thought lol :p

He's definitely better looking than me. :p

Trasher said:
Happy Father's day, man.

I hope you aren't training that kid on Reach. :p

We're waiting for the Frankie edition.

Ramirez said:
Happy Father's Day Halo Daddies!

259903_10150214234311989_510981988_7378574_172498_n.jpg

I'm training the donger of the future over here.
Now I imagine Sean Bean watching his kid playing with a smile. All you need is Syrio Forel.

Don't know if this is a known issue or not, but played a game of 2 Flag Pro (Ugh) on Zealot. We capped a flag, and the other team had ours. I thought it was weird that they didn't seem to be trying to cap it.

I went to look for them, found them on the lower level near one of the curling ramps (that would lead to one of the jump-jets to the outer-space area), and they killed me. I respawned right back where they were, they killed me immediately. This happened like 5 times in a row. It would just spawn me right in front of them, I would get killed in half-a-second-repeat.

They were just boosting their K/D like that.

Quit out.

Is it just me or does the 'Love of the game' challenge not track properly? I just helped a few friends get theyre 5 games today, but pretty much all of us are only showing 2 games each, odd. I hope the 5 games of invasion tracker isnt as buggy :S

feel

Get shit on!!
your shirt, dad!

Happy fathers day Ram and to all the other fathers in here!!

(unrelated)
warning: the following could be a bit depressing, highlight only if you don't care
I also went to spend some time closer to my father today at the cemetery, passed away a couple of months ago because of cancer :( :( :(
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE nobody quote or mention in the thread something about what I just wrote, don't want to ruin the mood for everyone

cory021

Neo Member
Woah, hey the Post Button works now :p

I thought I'd make a short introduction. I registered here a little bit after Reach came out, so it looks like it took about 3/4 a year to actually become a junior. I just graduated high school and I'm planning to study Architecture next year. Right now I'm just looking for a job to help pay for all the expenses.

I enjoy running, biking, playing guitar, and playing Halo (GT: cory021). I especially enjoy customs and forging (here's a video of a map I made in H3 a friend made for me).

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Letters said:
warning: the following could be a bit depressing, highlight only if you don't care
I also went to spend some time closer to my father today at the cemetery, passed away a couple of months ago because of cancer :( :( :(
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE nobody quote or mention in the thread something about what I just wrote, don't want to ruin the mood for everyone

I'm in a similar situation. My father died at the end of 2006 after battling a brain hemorhage that gave him permanent brain damage for years. He spent the remaining years of his life lying in a hospital bed every day, looking at the same position, in the same place, until he died. I blame the brain damage on his chronic alcohol and smoking abuse prior to the damage being done. I still love him and wish him and your father a restful and eternal sleep.

Happy Fathers Day, everyone.

Unrelated - My site and my article are finally ready. Enjoy:

And a direct link to the article:

I'd really like to know what you guys think (either in the comments or just here on GAF). This is the first place I've linked anyone to it outside of PMs for proofreading purposes.

Duncan, I'll read yours now.

Dani, might I say a fine job at analyzing the Data pads. I don't think I really like the story of a shadowy group of AIs, especially if one supposedly started the Human-Covenant War, but I like reading the breakdown.

Edit: Personally, I hope Halo 4 removes assassinations because half the time I want to just hit my opponent in the back, I end up doing an assassination. :/

MrBig

The data pad story seems to have had a heavy influence from the Hyperion Cantos. Great job fleshing out their background, Dani.

neoism said:
I don't play FF and when I do I never idle. :/

haha dont worry its not that, its probably just the dreaded campaign glitch, which for some reason resets your campaign progress to nothing and your spartan to default. I have no idea what causes it but its happened to me a few times and ive seen people complain about it literally since the game came out.

You havent really lost anything except campaign progress though, all the armoury stuff you already purchased will still be selectable.

neoism

bobs99 ... said:
haha dont worry its not that, its probably just the dreaded campaign glitch, which for some reason resets your campaign progress to nothing and your spartan to default. I have no idea what causes it but its happened to me a few times and ive seen people complain about it literally since the game came out.

You havent really lost anything except campaign progress though, all the armoury stuff you already purchased will still be selectable.
yep well guess I'm never playing campaign again oh well :\
at least it kept my commendations and stats. It sucks though I have to beat it from scratch if I want to play the later levels, fix your shit BUNGLE. :p

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Good read, Duncan! =)

MrBig said:
The data pad story seems to have had a heavy influence from the Hyperion Cantos. Great job fleshing out their background, Dani.

Thanks. =)

Oh and <3 Hyperion. I think the biggest and most obvious draw of inspiration is the Minds fom the Culture novels.

I've generally excluded non-Halo references from the commentary and analysis and will continue to do so until the end of the conclusion in the final part. I definitely want to spend some time looking at the possible external references and associations.

Hope the folks that took the time to read the first two parts look forward to the final one.

Ken

ncsuDuncan said:
Hmm, I'm not sure. I think it's supposed to automatically load a mobile version of the site, but I don't see any controls for fixing it in portrait mode.

My only guess is to try http://m.misriahsolutions.com/articles/armor-equipment/ and see if that works. I'll keep looking for a better solution™.
Currently reading on the standard site and it's much better than the iPad version of the site on an iPad.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/NobodyHome/efeabd69.png

Do you know what? Neutral Bomb is so awful in Reach. I played it on Asylum. The opposing was approaching with the bomb and we tried to stop them, but then a rain of grenades happened. So they armed the bomb, we all could do nothing against it, because we all had waited to respawn. How should you disarm the bomb, if the bomb explods in 10secs and you have to wait 10 seconds to respawn? Yeah.

Btw. I need an explanation!

@Duncan I'm going to read it tomorrow. :)

Hypertrooper said:
Do you know what? Neutral Bomb is so awful in Reach. I played it on Asylum. The opposing was approaching with the bomb and we tried to stop them, but then a rain of grenades happened. So they armed the bomb, we all could do nothing against it, because we all had waited to respawn. And yeah. How should you disarm the bomb, if the bomb explods in 10secs and you have to wait 10 seconds to respawn? Yeah.

Btw. I need an explanation!

@Duncan I'm going to read it tomorrow. :)

I like MLG's version of it.

Striker

It's awful because you died, they armed, and you were in death cam?

The default version is fine. As long as they don't turn it into the garbage instant arm, it will continue to better than its predecessor.

Striker said:
It's awful because you died, they armed, and you were in death cam?

The default version is fine. As long as they don't turn it into the garbage instant arm, it will continue to better than its predecessor.
Yep. It is just, that the respawn time is too long.

Havok

Hypertrooper said:
I don't necessarily think that 15 seconds is unreasonable. If the other team kills your entire team as they approach the base and begin to arm, they deserve that plant. Also, even if the respawn time was down to ten seconds, there would still be a near-zero chance of anybody being able to disarm the bomb (5 second arm/10 second fuse on default means that you would have to spawn on the bomb with nobody around to disarm).

Now, the rain of grenades that caused the situation? That's an issue, and a whole separate discussion.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
MrBig said:
It seems that series isn't in the massive sci-fi collection I inherited. I'll have to go pick them up. I keep hearing that Halo pulls a lot of inspiration from them.
Run don't walk.

"it was a Culture terror weapon. Designed to instruct and inform at the highest levels."

Ramirez said:
Poor Ned. :(

;(

Hypertrooper said:
I disagree. If you have short respawn times that its impossible to plant the bomb in the first place because even though we wipe out the team and go the bomb, the other team respawns and prevents the bomb from planting my chucking nades.

Havok said:
I don't necessarily think that 15 seconds is unreasonable. If the other team kills your entire team as they approach the base and begin to arm, they deserve that plant. Also, even if the respawn time was down to ten seconds, there would still be a near-zero chance of anybody being able to disarm the bomb (5 second arm/10 second fuse on default means that you would have to spawn on the bomb with nobody around to disarm).

Now, the rain of grenades that caused the situation? That's an issue, and a whole separate discussion.
3 of us died because of the grenades. If the UNSC had used the Reach's grenade, they would have won the war easily.

Louis Wu

Dani said:
Chewing gum or Halo ARG?

They say Halo, I'd say gum.
I'd agree - gum. I got one of the envelopes at E3. I really, really, really doubt this has anything to do with Halo.
OuterWorldVoice said:
Run don't walk.

"it was a Culture terror weapon. Designed to instruct and inform at the highest levels."
I just finished Surface Detail a couple of days ago.

One of the main characters is the Mind of an Abominator-class picket. Best Banks character EVER - and that's saying a LOT.

Its ship is the deadliest thing around.

Louis Wu said:
I'd agree - gum. I got one of the envelopes at E3. I really, really, really doubt this has anything to do with Halo.
Halo 4 opening cut scene: "I came here to kick ass and chew gum. And I'm all out of my favorite brand, 5 Gum™."

If there's ever another Halo ARG (or even one for Bungie's next game) and they want it to be sufficiently cryptic and mysterious they probably shouldn't have 42 entertainment do it (even though they did a fantastic job with ILoveBees).

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
OuterWorldVoice said:
Run don't walk.

I love the ship names from the Culture series. If Halo borrowed more heavily from this, we'd have ships like the UNSC Ravished By The Sheer Implausibility Of That Last Statement or Covenant Cruiser You'll Clean That Up Before You Leave.

lazybones18 said:
So, anyone bother with completing the weekly, or did you say "Fuck it" and skip it?
I played about 50games this week and I got 10x credits than the challenge would give me. So I think I said "fuck it".

Hey You

The Antitype said:
Don't know if this is a known issue or not, but played a game of 2 Flag Pro (Ugh) on Zealot. We capped a flag, and the other team had ours. I thought it was weird that they didn't seem to be trying to cap it.

I went to look for them, found them on the lower level near one of the curling ramps (that would lead to one of the jump-jets to the outer-space area), and they killed me. I respawned right back where they were, they killed me immediately. This happened like 5 times in a row. It would just spawn me right in front of them, I would get killed in half-a-second-repeat.

They were just boosting their K/D like that.

Quit out.
Yeah, that's happened to me as well. Its like there aren't any other spawn points on the map.

cory021 said:
Woah, hey the Post Button works now :p

I thought I'd make a short introduction. I registered here a little bit after Reach came out, so it looks like it took about 3/4 a year to actually become a junior. I just graduated high school and I'm planning to study Architecture next year. Right now I'm just looking for a job to help pay for all the expenses.

I enjoy running, biking, playing guitar, and playing Halo (GT: cory021). I especially enjoy customs and forging (here's a video of a map I made in H3 a friend made for me).

Oh hai fellow Social Infection member :)

lazybones18 said:
So, anyone bother with completing the weekly, or did you say "Fuck it" and skip it?
Yeah, if the weekly was this week and not last, I would have got it. But with School, I'm not in the mood to play 22 games/day.

Duncan, disagreements (i.e., things you forgot to mention)
1. You can't make AL work. It needs to be removed.
2. Camo shouldn't be reusable and needs to return to its proper form like in Halo 2/3
3. Overshield needs to return.
4. If AAs return as pick-up items in Halo 4, and if they have to be reusable, I think six times for any item is too much. Three seems to be a safer bet.
5. Bubble shield needs to return to its proper form in Halo 3. Though I do like your idea of people on the inside not being able to look out.
6. Jetpack is one time use.

That's all I can think of for now.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Dax01 said:
Duncan, disagreements (i.e., things you forgot to mention)
1. You can't make AL work. It needs to be removed.
2. Camo shouldn't be reusable and needs to return to its proper form like in Halo 2/3
3. Overshield needs to return.
4. If AAs return as pick-up items in Halo 4, and if they have to be reusable, I think six times for any item is too much. Three seems to be a safer bet.
5. Bubble shield needs to return to its proper form in Halo 3. Though I do like your idea of people on the inside not being able to look out.
6. Jetpack is one time use.

That's all I can think of for now.

What if you soak damage as you're armor locking and if the person shooting you dies, you survive and don't take the damage. However if he's alive when you come out of armor lock you take that damage and are left absolute.

Could Bungie please just rip Reflection out of match-making. There isn't a mode that the map is fun to play on. Not even 1-flag.

It was a bad map in the Halo 2 sandbox, it's worse in Reach.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Tashi0106 said:
What if you soak damage as you're armor locking and if the person shooting you dies, you survive and don't take the damage. However if he's alive when you come out of armor lock you take that damage and are left absolute.

That sounds overly complicated though.

Try making Armour Lock one use per charge, keep the recharge rate the same. Make the Lock last for only a few seconds (go by shield strength, full shields 3 seconds, half, 1.5 seconds), take away the frosting when you come out of it and make it automatically strip your shields when you come out.

That or select the code from the engine editor, press the delete key and never look back.

Lazslo

ncsuDuncan said:
If there's ever another Halo ARG (or even one for Bungie's next game) and they want it to be sufficiently cryptic and mysterious they probably shouldn't have 42 entertainment do it (even though they did a fantastic job with ILoveBees).
If there isn't at least one full-size ARG for either CEA, Halo:4 or Destiny- I'll be real bummed. IRIS was awesome and I heard ILB's was even better. When there was NOTHING at all for Reach, I was kinda shocked. There was so much potential for an ARG with the story of Reach- they could of paid 42 to do it, shit even 343 could of produced it- Franky's writing was the reason IRIS was so fun. It just doesn't make sense, after Halo:2/ILB and Halo:3/IRIS- on Bungie's last Halo game they didn't even make a small ARG- there was nothing.

Dani said:

Try making Armour Lock one use per charge, keep the recharge rate the same. Make the Lock last for only a few seconds (go by shield strength, full shields 3 seconds, half, 1.5 seconds), take away the frosting when you come out of it and make it automatically strip your shields when you come out.

That or select the code from the engine editor, press the delete key and never look back.

That lol.

Giving a player invincibility at the press of a button, even if it used as a pick up is a poor idea IMO. Just get rid of it.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Dani said:

How is it overly complicated?

I'm fine with scrapping armor abilities completely for Halo4. If they bring back equipment, I hope they ditch the health regenerator. I hated that thing. I think it is possible to make armor lock work, but I'd just assume see it removed from the game completely. There is something wrong with a spammable invincibility AA(with no durational consequences) that removes other people's shields and can last long enough for that player's shields to completely recharge. Who thought this was a good idea in development?

The Antitype said:
Could Bungie please just rip Reflection out of match-making. There isn't a mode that the map is fun to play on. Not even 1-flag.

It was a bad map in the Halo 2 sandbox, it's worse in Reach.
Wut? Ivory Tower was awesome in Halo2. I enjoyed both Slayer and Objective games (one-bomb and one-flag) on it.

Top Bottom