• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Tawpgun

Wow. More than Halfway through this OT.... and Halo 4 doesn't come out for more than a year.

I'm assuming since CEA comes with Reach multiplayer and its just CE remastered we won't have a separate OT for that right? Unless its on the gaming page or some shit. I don't want HaloGAF to be separated.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
A27 Tawpgun said:
Wow. More than Halfway through this OT.... and Halo 4 doesn't come out for more than a year.

I'm assuming since CEA comes with Reach multiplayer and its just CE remastered we won't have a separate OT for that right? Unless its on the gaming page or some shit. I don't want HaloGAF to be separated.

Ugh, I always hated this but it's usually for the best. There will definitely be an Anniversary thread where I'm sure there will be campaign talk and stuff. I intend to talk about the maps and stuff in here.

GhaleonEB

Tashi0106 said:
Ugh, I always hated this but it's usually for the best. There will definitely be an Anniversary thread where I'm sure there will be campaign talk and stuff. I intend to talk about the maps and stuff in here.
I think that makes the most sense, since it's effectively the last Reach DLC, bundled.

MrBig

A27 Tawpgun said:

There'll probably be a topic made for campaign discussion, but the multiplayer part on the disc is just there for people who don't actually own Reach. Otherwise its just a map pack.

Mik2121

Could you guys explain me what's going to be included on the CE remake disc(s)?. I thought it was just CE.. remade. Didn't know about the Reach stuff.

Will you need Reach to play the new maps included, or it's some sort of Reach multiplayer client of sorts..? Or what? Detailed explanation would be appreciated :p

MrBig

Mik2121 said:
Could you guys explain me what's going to be included on the CE remake disc(s)?. I thought it was just CE.. remade. Didn't know about the Reach stuff.

Will you need Reach to play the new maps included, or it's some sort of Reach multiplayer client of sorts..? Or what? Detailed explanation would be appreciated :p
It's just the same experience that you get with Reach, except for the 7 maps (6 mp, 1 ff) are the only things included, everything else is stripped out. You can use Forge, Theater, Customs, Matchmaking and everything else you can do in Reach, but just on those 7 maps.

Hit campaign and you get HA1O. Halo:CE remastered with 2 points of articulation. Transforms from mega-mode to incognito-mode at the touch of a button.

All on one disc.

Kuroyume

Banned
They are new maps. None of the old maps on Reach are going to be included. That would make too much sense and would make it too much of a good value.

FyreWulff

Kuroyume said:
They are new maps. None of the old maps on Reach are going to be included. That would make too much sense and would make it too much of a good value.

Including the entire original CE and ton of new data for CE:A "pretty mode" pretty much makes it impossible to fit all of Reach's multiplayer maps onto the same DVD. It seems they don't want a split disc setup like ODST.

I'd like another Halo 3: Mythic myself because it lets you actually play DLC on LAN a lot more easily, but maybe we just have to wait for Halo: Reach: Mythic later on.

It'd be something of a shame if we only ever get 2 new FF maps via DLC though. Would figure they'd go the whole hog with it being a "remake pack" and also include a FF map from ODST. Lost Platoon would probably be the top map that everyone would want back, but we also already have an up-res'd version of Crater in the Reach campaign.. still wonder why that wasn't an actual FF map.

Tunavi

Banned
Now that Halo 4 has been announced, do you guys think this is real or fake? I saw this a while ago, I'm sure you guys have as well.

halonemesisleaked.jpg

GhaleonEB

FyreWulff said:
It'd be something of a shame if we only ever get 2 new FF maps via DLC though. Would figure they'd go the whole hog with it being a "remake pack" and also include a FF map from ODST. Lost Platoon would probably be the top map that everyone would want back, but we also already have an up-res'd version of Crater in the Reach campaign.. still wonder why that wasn't an actual FF map.
That's mystifying to me as well. It seemed like a no-brainer.

I wanted it because instead of the normal drums for the boss music, I wanted the disco lights and music to fire up for the boss waves.

That Overlook Challenge was a bit grind, but a 10k game was nice at the end. There are some pretty fun ways to play Overlook. Crashsite in Score Attack is great on it.

Havok

Tunavi said:
Now that Halo 4 has been announced, do you guys think this is real or fake? I saw this a while ago, I'm sure you guys have as well.

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/7616/halonemesisleaked.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

dat Times New Roman

FyreWulff

GhaleonEB said:
That's mystifying to me as well. It seemed like a no-brainer.

I wanted it because instead of the normal drums for the boss music, I wanted the disco lights and music to fire up for the boss waves.

That Overlook Challenge was a bit grind, but a 10k game was nice at the end. There are some pretty fun ways to play Overlook. Crashsite in Score Attack is great on it.

There's two reasons I can think of:

1) Due to New Alexandria's setup, it was fairly easy for them to justify ANYTHING from a previous game being the inside of a building. This mission also has Ivory Tower/Reflection in it, which barely gets used as an actual playable space. But that was probably also the easiest place to put a map from a previous game into the campaign.

To that, Crater was never intended as a FF map, just a callback to ODST to those that paid attention and a place to set up Club Errera in. (I noticed it was Crater after about 10 seconds)

2) It was intended as the FF remake to go along with Ivory Tower as the multiplayer map remake. However, the FF version was cut for time or they couldn't think of a way to justify Drop Ships (if you notice, Reach has no "inside" maps like ODST did). After being cut for time, Bungie would probably avoid releasing it as DLC due to potential backlash from "BUT THE ASSETS ARE ALREADY ON THE DISC"

Speaking of maps, the Repository now all of the latest maps as of the June update. Gametypes are still not all updated though. I didn't include the Zealot update because they only updated the Doubles version.

Another minority opinion from me, but I just don't really care about skyboxes in matchmaking. It's about as interesting to me as it was checking out water in previous games. If people are checking out the scenery during a game, they're doing it wrong.

Mik2121

Deputy Moonman said:
Another minority opinion from me, but I just don't really care about skyboxes in matchmaking. It's about as interesting to me as it was checking out water in previous games. If people are checking out the scenery during a game, they're doing it wrong.
You don't tell me how should I play games!.

(yes, sometimes I will be walking down a corridor and stop and look at some assets. But I'm a 3D artist so I guess that's a natural thing to do for us.. :p)

zumphry

Banned
Deputy Moonman said:
Bungie Aerospace is going to be an adult dating website isn't it? I figured it out.

I got dibs on Jason Jones.

#ohgosh

FyreWulff said:
SEATTLE, WA 9:00am (AP)

A building burned down at the Microsoft campus today after a very large server was installed at their test facilities. Nobody was hurt. One of the engineers who oversaw installation of the Bungie Hydra was quoted as saying "Science has gone too far. First ducks with biceps, now film rendering? I didn't even know you could do that with an Xbox 360. That totally broke the terms of the EULA."

Bungie could not be reached for comment at time of printing.

Step 6.5?

GhaleonEB

FyreWulff said:
There's two reasons I can think of:

1) Due to New Alexandria's setup, it was fairly easy for them to justify ANYTHING from a previous game being the inside of a building. This mission also has Ivory Tower/Reflection in it, which barely gets used as an actual playable space. But that was probably also the easiest place to put a map from a previous game into the campaign.

To that, Crater was never intended as a FF map, just a callback to ODST to those that paid attention and a place to set up Club Errera in. (I noticed it was Crater after about 10 seconds)

2) It was intended as the FF remake to go along with Ivory Tower as the multiplayer map remake. However, the FF version was cut for time or they couldn't think of a way to justify Drop Ships (if you notice, Reach has no "inside" maps like ODST did). After being cut for time, Bungie would probably avoid releasing it as DLC due to potential backlash from "BUT THE ASSETS ARE ALREADY ON THE DISC"

Speaking of maps, the Repository now all of the latest maps as of the June update. Gametypes are still not all updated though. I didn't include the Zealot update because they only updated the Doubles version.
One exception to the bold: Corvette. When drop ships are disabled enemies spawn through the doors on the far side of the map. A similar mechanism could have been used on the Crater remake.

But that detail aside, those are the only reasons I can think of as well. Which is a pity - there are no Firefight maps quite like Crater in Reach, and it would have filled a nice slot in the lineup.

Moving through Noble rank is going faster than I thought. I'm nearly 1/3 of the way through in just over a week. Firefight Doubles is pretty lucrative from a cR standpoint, around 6,500 per game.

Butane123

FyreWulff said:
I think we found the Bungie Day freebie map!

:D

OK, I can wish...

Mik2121 said:
You don't tell me how should I play games!.

(yes, sometimes I will be walking down a corridor and stop and look at some assets. But I'm a 3D artist so I guess that's a natural thing to do for us.. :p)
haha. I said it was a minority opinion!, possibly an extreme minority (like i'm the only one) :) I'm gonna draw a really weird comparison here, but it's kind of like me and movies. I get irritated when a movie gets a lot of praise for how artsy it is despite the fact that it really wasn't that great of a movie. More important for me is did the movie entertain me? It's the same for video games. Having said that, as long as the game is good (level design, and gameplay), then developers can go to town and make the Mona Lisa of skyboxes and I'm cool with it.

ElRenoRaven

Butane123 said:

OK, I can wish...

You aren't alone. I can dream. That is the biggest Area ODST excelled was it's firefight. Granted ODST's entire package kicked ass. The maps were just perfect for it. I really really wish it's firefight had had matchmaking. I'd still go back regularly to play it even with Reach available.

FyreWulff

The main thing ODST was missing was a time limit option. Which was weird because the demo kiosk versions had a time limit. Would have been nice instead of everyone having to commit suicide to end a match cleanly for stats purposes.

Then again, ODST does this weird thing where it delays 360 Live popups (ie Invite Sent, ___ is online) by around 30 seconds. It was never mentioned by any reviews in the press or by anybody really, I thought it was pretty noticable.

ElRenoRaven

FyreWulff said:
The main thing ODST was missing was a time limit option. Which was weird because the demo kiosk versions had a time limit. Would have been nice instead of everyone having to commit suicide to end a match cleanly for stats purposes.

Then again, ODST does this weird thing where it delays 360 Live popups (ie Invite Sent, ___ is online) by around 30 seconds. It was never mentioned by any reviews in the press or by anybody really, I thought it was pretty noticable.

I've never had any delay like that. You sure it wasn't just your disc or your 360?

FyreWulff

PsychoRaven said:
I've never had any delay like that. You sure it wasn't just your disc or your 360?

I've asked people that I play with and some report it happening too.

If I dashboard or play another game, notifications are normal. Once ODST goes in, the actual action occurs immediately but I get notified that it happened 20-30 seconds later. I'll have to get my camera back and make a video.

wwm0nkey

Ok now with no extra crazy ideas thrown in, how many of you would like Halo 4 to be a 2 disc release that way we get a SP jammed with hours of game play and MP packed full of maps.

Havok

wwm0nkey said:
Ok now with no extra crazy ideas thrown in, how many of you would like Halo 4 to be a 2 disc release that way we get a SP jammed with hours of game play and MP packed full of maps.
I'd also like the case to come packed with hundred dollar bills, while we're throwing things that will never happen out there.

(to clarify: that'd be great, but it would also completely buck the trend of modern shooter content and cost metric fucktons to produce)

ElRenoRaven

FyreWulff said:
I've asked people that I play with and some report it happening too.

If I dashboard or play another game, notifications are normal. Once ODST goes in, the actual action occurs immediately but I get notified that it happened 20-30 seconds later. I'll have to get my camera back and make a video.

Wow that's weird. That's the first I've heard of anything like that happening to anyone. Maybe it's something with a particular model 360 or something.

Ryaaan14

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
As long as disc 1 uses the Halo 4 engine and disc 2 doesn't use the Reach engine.

FyreWulff

PsychoRaven said:
Wow that's weird. That's the first I've heard of anything like that happening to anyone. Maybe it's something with a particular model 360 or something.

It's a Halo 3 360 for the record.

Also on the Crater discussion, it's not the first time Bungie directly re-used geometry from the previous game in the campaign.

Halo 3 has two instances:

1) The last leg of the warthog run takes you around Silent Cartographer

2) The area/room that the third terminal is in on The Ark is a literal re-use of a room from the Silent Cartographer underground (or near that terminal, at least).

Deputy Moonman said:
haha. I said it was a minority opinion!, possibly an extreme minority (like i'm the only one) :) I'm gonna draw a really weird comparison here, but it's kind of like me and movies. I get irritated when a movie gets a lot of praise for how artsy it is despite the fact that it really wasn't that great of a movie. More important for me is did the movie entertain me? It's the same for video games. Having said that, as long as the game is good (level design, and gameplay), then developers can go to town and make the Mona Lisa of skyboxes and I'm cool with it.

More like a Michael Bay movie.

I agree with you. They're cool, but I only really pay attention maybe when I look around the map when I first buy them.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Whoa, how did I not notice the Crater cameo! I think the shiny lights distracted me.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Gotta love that Trueskill, sure loves matching me up against the people I just lost to and giving me idlers for team mates.
Thermite said:
Now all we need is a touch of jetpack, a pinch of camo, and a dash of reticule bloom, and then we'll REALLY be getting that quintessential Halo experience! :D
Not quintessential, definitive.

Ramirez

Man, we got put up against the same group of guys like 5 times in a row. The first game was actually close, but after 4-5 rounds of being jetpack pooped on and camo sniped, we completely broke their will, they weren't even really playing anymore by the last game, lulz.

AA's are so stupid.

I went over 2K wins today, yay.

I'm insanely high and I have yet to play a match where 2 or 3 of my teammates haven't been idle, or just quit half-way through.

Yay, 10-game losing streak. Fuck you slayer-loving dudebros. Get the FUCK out of my playlist.

...in a sad way, it's the most consistent I've been for awhile. Usually I go, 2 or 3 wins, then a loss or two, repeat in random order.

Ramirez

The Antitype said:
I'm insanely high and I have yet to play a match where 2 or 3 of my teammates haven't been idle, or just quit half-way through.

Yay, 10-game losing streak. Fuck you slayer-loving dudebros. Get the FUCK out of my playlist.

Well, if you're insanely high, you should be playing Modern Warfare 2, not Reach.

Bungie. Your matchmaking is shit.

I live in Vancouver, Canada.

I am searching for CONNECTION.

STOP putting me into games with people from England you worthless fucktards.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
The Antitype said:

Could be that no one from Canada is on.

Just saying.

clav

:lol that screenshot is so obviously photoshopped.

Trasher said:

Better with Kinect.

It's optional man.

No need for knee jerk reactions.

The Antitype said:

Matchmaking is shit for all games. This includes PC games like Starcraft 2.

Bring back true skill?

Butane123 said:

OK, I can wish...

To be honest, the minute I saw that space in campaign, I thought that it could be a Bungie day free giveaway.

But I do not trust to hope, it is forsaken in these lands.

As for Kinect, MS is going to try to include some form of optional support for Kinect in every game that they can. Get used to it. Luckily, it should stay optional and as a supplementary function in most of out core games that we play.

At least all this losing is driving my ranking down.

Hopefully I'll get to a point where the game doesn't set me up against teams of 4 Onyx players.

Mik2121

The Antitype said:

Are you experiencing much lag? I live in Japan and while many times I get matched up with people from here, during the early mornings or very very late nights I usually get matched with Europeans or Americans and it works just fine. No lag (at least doesn't feel as laggy) compared to when that same shit happens in COD (which, funny enough, never happens except for the time I downloaded the latest DLC for Black Ops before Japan got it so I kept getting matched up with people from other continents..).

Sibylus

Banned
Habitually late to these sorts of back and forths, but I hate to miss 'em.

GhaleonEB said:
I liked the whole deleting armor lock thing. As a concept, I can't come up with any way it's a fun gameplay mechanic. It's a pure counter that brings combat to a halt, and no amount of rework will get around that. It was just plain a bad idea.
I'd be okay with it if it was nerfed to the point of being virtually useless as a proactive measure. It's a fun element when it's a last-second saving grace rewarded for good timing, and not something that's popped into at the slightest suspicious noise.

- Any lethal amount of instant damage = charge depleted, including, but not necessarily limited to:
  • Vehicle impact
  • Plasma stick / Frag detonation
  • Energy Sword / Gravity Hammer
  • Melee from behind
  • Vehicle fire

- Plasma Pistol overcharge drains it, standard fire will drain it also

- Plasma Rifle and Plasma Repeater will drain it in short order

- Needles will supercombine if user exits or is knocked out early (has to outlast them)

- Plasma stick will kill if user exits or is knocked out before the grenade detonates (no slippery armor)

- Meter doesn't recharge once exhausted (incentive to use it only when needed)

- Player doesn't get up automatically when ability is exhausted, must release button and potentially exposes self if he isn't quick about it. Combine with trimming or removal of the frosting effect.

But, if delete you must, there's only way to go about it.

Code:
//
// [Everything Armor Lock here]
//
//
// Sweet dreams, you piece of shit.

Top Bottom