• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

wwm0nkey said:
So guys anyone want to take bets on what the Kinect feature in Halo CE is?

My bet is on Head Tracking.

EDIT: Though this would effect the core gameplay so its probably not Head Tracking

Here's my list:

- dancing chief
- interactive acting machinima
- mini-game - hit 343GS!

ncsuDuncan said:
It's obviously just a Kinect minigame where Sgt. Johnson makes you do pushups.

David Scully knocks it out of the park; with him yelling at players I expect to see a bunch of ripped gamers in the midnight release line for Halo 4.
This is the only reasonable way to implement it.

wwm0nkey

Hypertrooper said:
I booked my flight and the hotel for PAX today. I'm going to stay in the La Quinta Inn & Suites Sea Tac. I really can't wait to meet you guys :)
Can I come with you and take your PAX ticket?

Hey You said:
Even though its optional, I think it shouldn't be in CEA.
Here's a fun game:

"Even though its optional, I think X shouldn't be in CEA."

Replace X with any optional feature:

- rumble
- widescreen support
- online co-op
- splitscreen co-op
- the new graphic layer
- the old graphics mode
- Kinect support
- hidden Terminals
- easter eggs

Not trying to troll, I just wanted to point out how ridiculous that statement is.

ncsuDuncan said:
Here's a fun game:

"Even though its optional, I think X shouldn't be in CEA."

Replace X with any optional feature:

- rumble
- widescreen support
- online co-op
- splitscreen co-op
- the new graphic layer
- the old graphics mode
- Kinect support
- hidden Terminals
- easter eggs

Not trying to troll, I just wanted to point out how ridiculous that statement is.

If its not mandatory, complaining about kinect support is pretty ridiculous...

The Real Napsta said:
The tops of red and blue bases have cover in different places. That alone makes it not symmetrical.

Highlands is symmetric is its core design, it just has some asymmetric qualities. A shocking number of "symmetrical" Halo maps have asymmetrical elements to it. For all intensive purposes though, those maps are played as symmetrical maps.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Tunavi said:
Just had Cryptum ordered to be sent to my town's library. Can't wait!

I have it as an eBook. I'm only a little over a chapter into it and I'm surprised at the stuff they've revealed so far in such a short amount of time.

GhaleonEB

Hypertrooper said:
I booked my flight and the hotel for PAX today. I'm going to stay in the La Quinta Inn & Suites Sea Tac. I really can't wait to meet you guys :)
That's one mile away from the hotel Hitmonchan and I are staying in. :D

GhaleonEB said:
That's one mile away from the hotel Hitmonchan and I are staying in. :D
Awesome! My hotel can be the forward base. It's right in downtown Seattle and 0.6 miles from the convention center. :)

Probably going to be an awful place though, it was only $75/night. Good thing I'm not going to spend much time there.

ElRenoRaven

The Antitype said:
I'm not exactly at my most rational when I've been smoking for hours.

What? Are you one of them pot smokers son? Have you been smoking the pot? Why must people smoke cookware. It's never good for their health. j/k in case you didn't notice. lol

ElRenoRaven

Mr Vociferous said:
Is there a list of the Halo GAF folks going to PAX this year, somewhere?

Don't think there is a list per say. I know I'll be there in spirit. Why oh Why can't anyone bring a giant gaming convention to Oklahoma damn it. It's perfect right here in the middle of the US damn it. WHY????? LOL

Mr Vociferous said:
Is there a list of the Halo GAF folks going to PAX this year, somewhere?
I've been keeping a list:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28472946&postcount=11538

But it's always a good time to repost:
HaloGAF goes to PAX:
ncsuDuncan
Hitmonchan107
Hypertrooper
GhaleonEB
Louis Wu
Devin Olsen
Fyrewulff - After he pawns his gold
wisdom
teeth.
Mr Vociferous
Nutter
Ramirez
Captain Blood
Omlet
EazyB Lake Minnetonka Mysterious Junior Member #3

And I assume:
OuterWorldVoice
Lybertyboy
Urk?
Should I add you? Added. :)

FyreWulff

I've already got my 3 day but not sure where I'm staying at the moment. Depends on how much financial damage I'm in for to get both of my bottom wisdom teeth pulled over the next week (might have to delay or cancel the Bungiedayathon depending on what happens)

A27_StarWolf said:
If its not mandatory, complaining about kinect support is pretty ridiculous...

I think it's reasonable to argue against it. Developers have limited time, budgets and resources for completing a game. As a consumer, I have opinions and can and should voice them. I don't own a Kinect and would rather 343i not spend their time developing for it. That's reasonable for me to say to 343i, "I don't want Kinect," especially when they have a very strict ship date that is fast approaching.

It might be premature to complain about Kinect since they haven't announced all of Anniversary's features. We don't know what multiplayer will be like (fully) and we don't know if there will be a theatre mode or skulls or what have you.

What I will be upset with is if core features of the Halo franchise, like skulls & theatre mode don't make the cut, but Kinect support is there.

So for now, I'll say, "I don't want Kinect" and wait (im)patiently for them to announce the stuff that I really want (like theatre mode).

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hypertrooper said:
There is now a train direct to downtown, which takes about twenty minutes. So it has gone from being a terrible place to stay to a sensible one. Otherwise it would have been $40 cab rides each way.

ncsuDuncan said:
Should I add you? :)
Yup.

FyreWulff said:
I've already got my 3 day but not sure where I'm staying at the moment. Depends on how much financial damage I'm in for to get both of my bottom wisdom teeth pulled over the next week (might have to delay or cancel the Bungiedayathon depending on what happens)
Dualx from AJ was looking for a place to crash too. Maybe you guys could play the find a hotel mission on co-op.

Epyon MX said:
I think it's reasonable to argue against it. Developers have limited time, budgets and resources for completing a game. As a consumer, I have opinions and can and should voice them. I don't own a Kinect and would rather 343i not spend their time developing for it. That's reasonable for me to say to 343i, "I don't want Kinect," especially when they have a very strict ship date that is fast approaching.

It might be premature to complain about Kinect since they haven't announced all of Anniversary's features. We don't know what multiplayer will be like (fully) and we don't know if there will be a theatre mode or skulls or what have you.

What I will be upset with is if core features of the Halo franchise, like skulls & theatre mode don't make the cut, but Kinect support is there.

So for now, I'll say, "I don't want Kinect" and wait (im)patiently for them to announce the stuff that I really want (like theatre mode).
- There IS theater mode for the Multiplayer because it uses the Halo: Reach multiplayer engine.
- There IS NOT theater mode for Campaign because it uses the Halo: CE engine.
- Skulls are not confirmed yet either way, but there are rumors of something like that being in.

I still don't think it's a very reasonable complaint, because the people that would add features like Campaign Theater aren't necessarily the people that would implement some minor Kinect functionality. Not to mention the development time and effort taken is on a completely different level. It's not like "Hey guys, we can add Kinect but that means we have to drop co-op support and we won't have time to build all 7 multiplayer maps." I guess there is a point where X and Y features are equal in terms of development cost, but I trust 343 to make the right decision when it comes to that.

ElRenoRaven

Epyon MX said:

I agree. If you don't voice your opinion then how do they know what the fans want? What I don't agree with is that there are some people that are just so violently against it already when we don't know anything. I'm not speaking about you of course. I'm talking in general. I myself like you am going to take a wait and see. Hopefully more is revealed at Halofest about what they are doing.

Nutter

ncsuDuncan said:
I've been keeping a list:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28472946&postcount=11538

But it's always a good time to repost:
HaloGAF goes to PAX:
ncsuDuncan
Hitmonchan107
Hypertrooper
GhaleonEB
Louis Wu
Devin Olsen
Fyrewulff - After he pawns his gold
wisdom
teeth.
Mr Vociferous

And I assume:
OuterWorldVoice
Lybertyboy
Urk?
Should I add you? Added. :)

You are missing a few folks.

Namely

Me, Ram, Blood, Omlet, Eazyb.

ncsuDuncan said:
I still don't think it's a very reasonable complaint, because the people that would add features like Campaign Theater aren't necessarily the people that would implement some minor Kinect functionality. Not to mention the development time and effort taken is on a completely different level. It's not like "Hey guys, we can add Kinect but that means we have to drop co-op support and we won't have time to build all 7 multiplayer maps." I guess there is a point where X and Y features are equal in terms of development cost, but I trust 343 to make the right decision when it comes to that.

Yeah, they very likely aren't equal in terms of development time/cost. I would be curious to know how long the game has been in development. Campaign theatre is a *huge* cost. I remember how limited (but glorious) it was in Halo 3. How they worked super-hard and still couldn't get everything they wanted to do. And Reach is just fantastic. It just hurts to lose that glory. Especially with Halo 1's tricking and epic battles.

ncsuDuncan said:
- There IS NOT theater mode for Campaign because it uses the Halo: CE engine.
If this is true, then I'm heartbroken.

Has it been confirmed as not being in? I'm hoping that since the graphics engine runs on top, that they can record that.

Havok

If anybody wants to join me in powering through some Doubles Arcadefight on the smaller FF maps for the weekly, just send me a message on Live. My recent Doubles randoms have either been total jerks or quit out immediately (which I guess falls into the same category). I won't have a mic in, just a heads up.

Trasher

Epyon MX said:
Yeah, they very likely aren't equal in terms of development time/cost. I would be curious to know how long the game has been in development.

Has it been confirmed as not being in? I'm hoping that since the graphics engine runs on top, that they can record that.
That's been confirmed.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Epyon MX said:
Yeah, they very likely aren't equal in terms of development time/cost. I would be curious to know how long the game has been in development.

If Campaign Theatre mode was included, I'm sure we'd have heard about it during the initial announcement. I'd like to see it too but it isn't happening. =/

ElRenoRaven

Dani said:
If Campaign Theatre mode was included, I'm sure we'd have heard about it during the initial announcement. I'd like to see it too but I isn't happening. =/

God what I wouldn't I have given for theater and saved films in campaign.

ElRenoRaven

FyreWulff said:
I also just remembered that I also have to hope that the Missouri doesn't flood Omaha, otherwise our airport goes underwater.

I took the Greyhound to PAX 07. One time was enough.

Ah Bus rides aren't so bad. I'll never forget the time I road a bus for about 3 days straight each way from here to Seattle for the Microsoft MVP convention back in 04. The one thing I learned from my bus trip was to wear sandals because dear god wearing socks and shoes for 3 days straight really does a number on your feet. More so when you have a lot of walking to do on tours, etc. The trip itself though was amazing. Such beautiful scenery to see that you would miss flying.

FyreWulff

PsychoRaven said:
Ah Bus rides aren't so bad. I'll never forget the time I road a bus for about 3 days straight from here to Seattle for the Microsoft MVP convention back when I was one pre Halo 2. The one thing I learned from my bus trip was to wear sandals because dear god wearing socks and shoes for 3 days straight really does a number on your feet. More so when you have a lot of walking to do on tours, etc. The trip itself though was amazing. Such beautiful scenery to see that you would miss flying.

It was mostly the length. Realizing that once I got on the bus in Seattle that I'd have to watch the sun go down and come up 2 times before I got home was a bit daunting.

Also didn't help that the Greyhound driver outbound was an asshole. He almost left me behind in South Dakota. The subcontractor lines were much better and had on-bus movies.

ElRenoRaven

FyreWulff said:
It was mostly the length. Realizing that once I got on the bus in Seattle that I'd have to watch the sun go down and come up 2 times before I got home was a bit daunting.

Also didn't help that the Greyhound driver outbound was an asshole. He almost left me behind in South Dakota. The subcontractor lines were much better and had on-bus movies.

Ah that sucks to hear. I really never had any problems. The only time there was an issue was when our bus got delayed and we missed a connection. Luckily they had a spare bus ready and waiting when our bus arrived. The longest layover I had was in Amarillo Texas and was an hour. Most of the time I was back on another bus and off to the next connection within 20 minutes.

Trasher said:
[Theatre Mode's Absence & Epyon's Broken Heart]'s been confirmed.

I'm going to buy the game. Campaign co-op & HD graphics are enough for me to buy the game, but it certainly isn't everything I wanted or hope for. What's announced, and critically, what has been confirmed as not present, leaves a game that's just so limited from what it could have been. What's there is going to be unquestionably good, I just wish the game wasn't coming in November. I wish they had another year and could really do the game justice for 2011/12. Add in theatre mode. Add Ghaleon's gamplay additions (vehicle jacking, suicide grunts, etc...). I will stay tuned in, and it's a Day 1 Purchase, but theatre mode, your absence will be grieved.

Edit: Speaking of theatre mode, I still have 15 minutes for my Bungie PRO membership if anybody has films they want rendered.

Hypertrooper said:
Why can't you skip school?
Dude, I have no idea what I'll be needing to do with school or any of the clubs I'm in, so I'm already hesitant to go because of that. Plus, if I would go, I would need my parents' help to finance the trip. Saying to them, "Hey, can you give me X dollars so I can skip school and go to this Halo thing" isn't the most convincing argument.

You're making me jealous. Once you lucky bastards are off to PAX, I and whoever else stays behind will battle for dominion over HaloGAF. The victor shall be named King in the GAF for all eternity.

I am wondering if Tunavi, Neoism, Overdoziz or Xand took any clips from yesterday's games. My temp history was wiped sadly. How I would love if it could record voice, I was in stitches laughing. 5 of us going camo following people around the map was too funny.

JdFoX187

Banned
Havok said:
If anybody wants to join me in powering through some Doubles Arcadefight on the smaller FF maps for the weekly, just send me a message on Live. My recent Doubles randoms have either been total jerks or quit out immediately (which I guess falls into the same category). I won't have a mic in, just a heads up.
Your ass going to be on later? Need to get back into Team Objective, which hopefully won't be filled with maroons now that the jackpots have gone back to normal.

Top Bottom