• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Damnable junk gun,
you hold no sway over me;
I press Y on spawn.

junkgun.jpg

(Pistol K/D: 3.06.)

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Plywood said:
Oh AR of mine
Kill when I lack aiming ability
Enshrine me in your gilded bullets
So that I may best my opponent
Wielders of precision

Spread, spread, spread
Like scattered seed across the fields

Cut, cut, cut
Like diamonds with our own dust

Wield, wield, wield
Spartans at war

Thrill, thrill, thrill
Evade, Jetpack, Armor Lock, nevermore

Without skill, without practice, without trying

Kill them all
Just make me winner before The Fall

Hyxgo.jpg

ljpT4.png
For new page, post your AR k/d, genuinely curious.

Booshka

Just found a reliable and good teammate completely randomly in Team Doubles. I wasn't on my mic, but he did a good job of staying close to me, and we had good teamwork naturally. Baiting and switching on players, and team shooting pretty well. Team Doubles is probably the best place to sift through random players on Reach and find new friends, you can tell pretty easily in a 2v2 game whether or not they are a good Halo player.

Havok

0.8 and proud of it.

I've started getting lazy lately, though, spraying around blind corners. If I can't beat the scrub jerks, might as well join them 3 or 4 times a match. It probably also doesn't help that I have almost as many combined flag + bomb kills than AR.

Ramirez

AR kills is 1275/1216, I personally find it easier to just spray with the rest of the tards in pistol/AR start matches. The pistol bloom is the most frustrating thing in the game for me. Cannot wait for TO to go all DMR starts...

Curious, does anyone have a better ratio with the nade launcher: 751/86 (8.73) The thing needs to be on more maps so I can bump it up into my top 3 weapons. :p

Ryaaan14

Banned
Starting to sound strangely reminiscent of Halo 3 before they started adding BR starts.

AR has never really been a go-to for me, but I think it's funny it has received such a stigma from people who understand Halo mechanics.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Ramirez said:
AR kills is 1275/1216, I personally find it easier to just spray with the rest of the tards in pistol/AR start matches. The pistol bloom is the most frustrating thing in the game for me. Cannot wait for TO to go all DMR starts...

Curious, does anyone have a better ratio with the nade launcher: 751/86 (8.73) The thing needs to be on more maps so I can bump it up into my top 3 weapons. :p
The pro pipe feels so inconsistent to me, I've blown it up at peoples faces and it would kill them, do the same thing when they're one shot and they live, same with under them and next to them. Only works with me when it wants to. >_>

Nade launcher k/d: 105/62 (1.69)

Ramirez

Ryaaan14 said:
Starting to sound strangely reminiscent of Halo 3 before they started adding BR starts.

AR has never really been a go-to for me, but I think it's funny it has received such a stigma from people who understand Halo mechanics.

No one likes being killed by someone who had to do as little as possible to achieve the kill, aside from rockets, it's the worst way too die in the game. The beta balance between the pistol/AR was really good, but of course they had to go and mess with it.

Yea, I've had instances like that Ply, the thing has to be a direct hit pretty much, I wouldn't change it for anything though, it's such a more skilled weapon than it was in the beta.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Ramirez said:
Yea, I've had instances like that Ply, the thing has to be a direct hit pretty much, I wouldn't change it for anything though, it's such a more skilled weapon than it was in the beta.
You know, I never thought of actually firing it dead on at the player I always tried to get it at there side. smh

edit: Thermite, lol. I applaud your refusal to the use the weapon.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Ramirez said:
No one likes being killed by someone who had to do as little as possible to achieve the kill, aside from rockets, it's the worst way too die in the game. The beta balance between the pistol/AR was really good, but of course they had to go and mess with it.

Except if someone gets killed by an AR, they made a poor choice to counter the attack. If you're using a pistol against an AR and die, you are obviously using the pistol ineffectively. If you are using an AR against another AR and constantly losing, you need to aim better or have better timing.

Regardless of whatever balance the beta had, the way things are now is the way things are. I'm probably going to take some heat for saying this, but I just get annoyed when I hear people make claims about balance issues that have been tested to a ridiculous extent.

Booshka

Ryaaan14 said:
Except if someone gets killed by an AR, they made a poor choice to counter the attack. If you're using a pistol against an AR and die, you are obviously using the pistol ineffectively. If you are using an AR against another AR and constantly losing, you need to aim better or have better timing.

Regardless of whatever balance the beta had, the way things are now is the way things are. I'm probably going to take some heat for saying this, but I just get annoyed when I hear people make claims about balance issues that have been tested to a ridiculous extent.
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=18816796&player=SkyFighta65
Seriously though, the gun is a joke.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Booshka said:
It's not a fun gun to shoot, it's bottom of the barrel Halo.
So what makes a gun fun to shoot? It being able to kill dudes? The sound it makes? The pretty lights? It's ability to kill at short, medium, and long ranges?

Ramirez said:
I have 116/28 (4.14).

Best gun. Needs to be on more maps.

Ramirez said:

I don't know, I think it would be skilled if it was just consistent. For that alone I'd take the Beta Pro Pipe

also I'm so down for Halo 3 customs you have no idea

GloveSlap

Ramirez said:

The pistol really does get shit on in every possible way by the game. It has the worst bloom and seems to be affected by lag the most, all magnified by it's microscopic clip size and inferiority to the AR. It really is such a frustrating burden to use, i feel like a martyr using it.

Ryaaan14 said:
So if the AR is just so-damn-good-it's-so-unfair, then why don't the hardcores just start using the fucking thing?

Sigh.
One word: class. I avoid using the AR because it's a cheap PoS. I get no satisfaction from mowing people down (Call of Duty style) with the AR. An overpowered automatic weapon goes against Halo's tried and true hierarchy of weapon strengths. Pray and spray weapons have never been as effective as precision weapons in any previous Halo game, and I don't think they should be unless Halo wants to become just like every other FPS game around. That's my opinion.

I still think that a player's skill with a precision weapon should be more important than having to have the right counter weapon for every weapon within the game. That's what makes Halo such a great game for competition. Games don't come down to chance and having the right counter weapon. They come down to pure player ability. That's what I've always liked about Halo, anyway.

Ryaaan14 said:
So what makes a gun fun to shoot? It being able to kill dudes? The sound it makes? The pretty lights? It's ability to kill at short, medium, and long ranges?

The more skill it takes, the more rewarding the kill is.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Deputy Moonman said:
One word: class. I avoid using the AR because it's a cheap PoS. I get no satisfaction from mowing people down (Call of Duty style) with the AR. An overpowered automatic weapon goes against Halo's tried and true hierarchy of weapon strengths. Pray and spray weapons have never been as effective as precision weapons in any previous Halo game, and I don't think they should be unless Halo wants to become just like every other FPS game around. That's my opinion.
Well you bring up a valid point. A lot of people feel like just because a certain weapon doesn't exercise a certain amount of skill automatically makes it frowned upon to use in the game.

It's one thing if people want to criticize a game's mechanics in a professional tier, but as far as playing the game as a normal player would, spare the hyperbole. If a weapon is easy to use in it's situational niche, then so be it. Excuse the analogy, but it would be like criticizing someone for driving their car to work as opposed to riding a bicycle which requires more skill, but is not as practical.

I can concede that this board is definitely apart from the Bungie.net forum users, or the silent majority that is playing on Xbox Live, but it really shocks me that some of you can't come to terms with this.

Yo, my AR K/D is 1.00.

Btw. have you seen the Headhunter motion comic? Part 1 is nice, but Part 2 is freakin' awesome! Much action and Spartans-III.

Willeth

Deputy Moonman said:
I still think that a player's skill with a precision weapon should be more important than having to have the right counter weapon for every weapon within the game. That's what makes Halo such a great game for competition. Games don't come down to chance and having the right counter weapon. They come down to pure player ability. That's what I've always liked about Halo, anyway.
I'm not going to say that this is wrong necessarily, but to me, this is why 'skill' needs such a better definition. Skill in Halo, for me, is about arming yourself and your team appropriately so that you can handle different situations. Making sure that at least one person has an anti-vehicle weapon and that they're the person who knows how to use it, keeping a long and close-range weapon on-hand and switching to them when you're anticipating that weapon to be most useful (ie, if you're looking down a corridor and about to have a DMR battle, I could just go for the risky but 'honourable' route and out-DMR him, or I could take the much safer guaranteed kill by dropping a grenade as he closes in, ducking round the corner and switching to the AR, and popping back out and firing for a second just as the grenade blows).

The mental game of Halo, where you're each trying to out-think each other, dodging around cover and anticipating each other's movements is why I fell in love with the game and what feels more awesome than any precision play.

Hypertrooper said:
Yo, my AR K/D is 1.00.

Btw. have you seen the Headhunter motion comic? Part 1 is nice, but Part 2 is freakin' awesome! Much action and Spartans-III.

I saw part 1, kinda slow but I loved it. I'm gonna watch part 2 right now, thanks hor the heads up.

EDIT: Loved part 2, only thing that botters me are the voice actors, Sometimes, they don't put enough emotion in certain scenes were it's neccecary.

Crucio

I can understand the hate from those who get shitty games in BTB All stars but it certainly does help to enter the playlist as a team.
I think the whole point of this experiment is to bring in teams of players for some extra competition. To me that's why they chose Invasion, a team oriented playlist that truly requires great cooperation, for the qualifying.

The BTB playlist can be just as frustrating.

Crucio said:
a team oriented playlist that truly requires great cooperation, for the qualifying..
Really? Invasion doesn't requires cooperation. Except the last wave. In the first two phases, you just need a good player, who are good at killing or at throwing grenades. It doesn't need great cooperation. Btw. to join the BTB All-star list, you just needed to play 5 Invasion games. You could just idle the whole time. So yeah great cooperation as you called it.

Striker

Ryaaan14 said:
Uh, why don't you guys still play Halo 3 customs then?

Hopped on Halo 3 a couple weeks ago and it felt great. A little variety is healthy.
It's not the same, durr. If people don't like something about the game or don't enjoy it, there's other alternatives. The population is approaching close to 800,000 so obviously not everybody hates it.

FYI, I'm not the biggest fan, but I [have] enjoy this over the previous game.

I can understand the hate from those who get shitty games in BTB All stars but it certainly does help to enter the playlist as a team.
According to the page on Bnet, they list All Stars having similar gametypes and map combos as the regular BTB playlsit. I don't understand that. Why not make it unique?

Ryaaan14

Banned
Striker said:
It's not the same, durr. If people don't like something about the game or don't enjoy it, there's other alternatives. The population is approaching close to 800,000 so obviously not everybody hates it.
I like Reach just fine, but I like many things about Halo 3. Just as I did Halo 2 with Halo 3, and CE with Halo 2. It's just nice to take a break and go back from time to time. I'm surprised GAF hasn't gone back to Halo 3 as much (together). It could be pretty healthy actually.

equil

Hypertrooper said:
Really? Invasion doesn't requires cooperation. Except the last wave. In the first two phases, you just need a good player, who are good at killing or at throwing grenades. It doesn't need great cooperation. Btw. to join the BTB All-star list, you just needed to play 5 Invasion games. You could just idle the whole time. So yeah great cooperation as you called it.

1 person cant take out an entire defending team while on offense, so yes there is a bit of cooperation needed in invasion.

Anyone now why the bungie home page looks like this http://i.imgur.com/MckeA.png in chrome?

Capture.jpg

@ Ghaleon

Is the interminable delay of your campaign review some sort of meta-comment on how Reach should have been delayed for polish?

BTB Allstars is not especially horrid - it shares the same problems as regular BTB. Hemorrhage and Spire are vile. Full teams of 8 being matched against randoms (don't care what anyone says, btb needs party restrictions, the population supports it). A hog that feels like a pebble being skimmed across a lake to control. General vehicle whoring and Paradiso, a map that proves that bungie don't playtest properly - if they did, it would have been scrapped.

Tawpgun

Willeth said:
I'm not going to say that this is wrong necessarily, but to me, this is why 'skill' needs such a better definition. Skill in Halo, for me, is about arming yourself and your team appropriately so that you can handle different situations. Making sure that at least one person has an anti-vehicle weapon and that they're the person who knows how to use it, keeping a long and close-range weapon on-hand and switching to them when you're anticipating that weapon to be most useful (ie, if you're looking down a corridor and about to have a DMR battle, I could just go for the risky but 'honourable' route and out-DMR him, or I could take the much safer guaranteed kill by dropping a grenade as he closes in, ducking round the corner and switching to the AR, and popping back out and firing for a second just as the grenade blows).

The mental game of Halo, where you're each trying to out-think each other, dodging around cover and anticipating each other's movements is why I fell in love with the game and what feels more awesome than any precision play.
This just shows people have different ideas of fun in Halo games. Spamming nades and ARing is what I consider the most annoying aspect of the game. Put in armor abilities into the mix and its rage worthy.

I like 2 styles of Halo. Crazy BTB action... that Reach has killed. And the tactical 4 v 4 DMR competitive side.

I've liked Halo because it had amazing vehicle infantry interplay, but then you could go and have a strictly infantry game and have it feel just as good. I've also liked the fact that you have to out skill opponents to win. Those mental games you talk about? Those can be done with the DMR as well, and often are.

I have 398 kills with the AR and a -304 spread. I use it from time to time around corners or when my pistol is out/reloading.

The thing I HATE about AR starts though is how useless you feel upon spawn. Some people try and make it sound like that's skillful, that you have to find better weapons like people did in games like Quake, DOOM, Unreal.... the difference is in those games you move at like 200 mph. You can get to those weapons AND you can dodge enemy fire effectively.

In Halo, especially Reach, you are a slug. If you don't have a weapon to defend yourself with you are screwed. I remember AR starts on Narrows. Enemy team gets BR's and top control and you can't do shit. I remember objective with AR starts. Not being able to do anything once the flag carrier was more than 20 yards away.

I don't like feeling that week. Both weapons can only kill one person before reloading. Even with nades, you'll have a tough time killing multiple people.

What they should do is seperate the people who want AR's and the people who want precision weapons. I still think my idea of the party leader selecting what starting weapon they want to play in matchmaking with before searching is perfect. You'll always get matched into DMR or AR games based on what you picked.

Also, who was that guy that had AR as his Top Tool of Destruction? I always thought that was hilarious.

Ramirez said:
I think it says a lot about this game when customs were dead in the water a couple moths after they started, heh. Halo 3 customs were epic, even with its problems.

I think the more competitive players who would play customs are put off by things by bloom, I know amongst my friends we still go back to Halo 3 when we just want to do some customs. However its not all the gameplays fualt... I honestly do think that at least just over half the people who play the game are primarily in it for CR, which explains why people flock to crappy playlists for a chance of a super jackpot lol. Customs dont pay out very well, and so people stick to matchmaking.

I would be so down for the Halo 3 customs with GAF, does GAF even run Reach custom nights anymore? If not we should do a revival of Halo 3 custom nights on Saturday nights

As for the AR, that explains why I can be miles away and still be AR'd down. Bungie's idea of balance seems more like kill off the power weapon play and make everyone use automatics.

Ryaaan14 said:
Well you bring up a valid point. A lot of people feel like just because a certain weapon doesn't exercise a certain amount of skill automatically makes it frowned upon to use in the game.

It's one thing if people want to criticize a game's mechanics in a professional tier, but as far as playing the game as a normal player would, spare the hyperbole. If a weapon is easy to use in it's situational niche, then so be it. Excuse the analogy, but it would be like criticizing someone for driving their car to work as opposed to riding a bicycle which requires more skill, but is not as practical.

I can concede that this board is definitely apart from the Bungie.net forum users, or the silent majority that is playing on Xbox Live, but it really shocks me that some of you can't come to terms with this.

The problem is, we are playing a video game, our lives dont depend on the outcome, so as a gamer im happy to take the harder, funner and more rewarding route, as there isnt really much risk. Hell in real life you would be stupid to do that, but in the virtual world, why not do the thing which is more fun?

Essentially the AR being overpowered skews the gameplay towards automatic weapon play, which I find less fun, and so rather than just use the less fun guns to get easy kills I just go play something else lol.

Willeth said:

That aspect of Halo exists (in my opinion to an even greater level) when using precision weapons.

Tawpgun

Holy hell instant arm.

I don't mind a faster arm time or something but instant arm and 10 second count down with only 5 seconds to disarm? Is that a joke?

Striker

A27 Tawpgun said:
The thing I HATE about AR starts though is how useless you feel upon spawn. Some people try and make it sound like that's skillful, that you have to find better weapons like people did in games like Quake, DOOM, Unreal.... the difference is in those games you move at like 200 mph. You can get to those weapons AND you can dodge enemy fire effectively.

In Halo, especially Reach, you are a slug. If you don't have a weapon to defend yourself with you are screwed. I remember AR starts on Narrows. Enemy team gets BR's and top control and you can't do shit. I remember objective with AR starts. Not being able to do anything once the flag carrier was more than 20 yards away.
Difference between Halo 3 AR spawns and Halo Reach AR spawns is they gave you a secondary weapon. The Pistol, even with its rather harsh bloom, is still a viable weapon. In fact it's my highest TOD in Objective. I didn't mind non-DMR starts in some maps. But for Hemorrage, it was needed. Instead of fixing that, it got removed. Kind of like instead of fixing Backwash (aka removing the Camo), it got removed. Instead of fixing the Mauler, it basically got removed.

My main complaint about Team Objective is the lack of variety. And Hot Potato is a fringe gametype, yet it stayed. Now he's adding in three other awful gimmicks of flag. Instead of playing Multi-CTF, 1-Flag, or CTF Classic, you'll get the wondrous joy of playing 3 Flag on Zealot.

Tawpgun

AR starts in Reach is better than H3 yes, but it's still terrible. I have almost no fun on AR starts. I just want my beta magnum back. I LOVED using that thing.

A27 Tawpgun said:
AR starts in Reach is better than H3 yes, but it's still terrible. I have almost no fun on AR starts. I just want my beta magnum back. I LOVED using that thing.

Twere my highest tool of destruction in the beta. I favoured it over the DMR.

equil said:
1 person cant take out an entire defending team while on offense, so yes there is a bit of cooperation needed in invasion.
But the same cooperation you need in every other Halo gametype. You can't win the slayer match against 4 if you are alone. Except they are noobs. etc.

Tawpgun

Just found this thread over at HBO.

http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=1082222#m_1082222

Some pics and vids of the LAN and a good writeup. I noticed some fancy audio and video equipment. So the LAN will probably make it into the Vidoc.

These things look so awesome. I've had a few LAN experiences at my local community center years ago, but it was always with people I already knew. I would LOVE to go to a massive LAN like this to meet some members of the community.

Also, Wu didn't take his shirt off in the video. I was disappoint.

Top Bottom