• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

A27_StarWolf said:
Bro, I have a love affair with the banshee, and I think you are wrong.

You have to be TOP NOTCH with vehicles to actually do well in this game. Two people with DMR's can shut down a wraith. Halo would not be Halo without the amazing vehicles. I do a lot of wraith killing long range as well.

:( you are not my bro.

GhaleonEB

A27_StarWolf said:
Two people with DMR's can shut down a wraith.
I'm trying to formulate a sentence that better describes, succinctly, the ways Reach's vehicles are badly tuned, but this is pretty much perfect.

Detox

Ramirez said:
What can I say, Urk showed me the light in the beta.

Originally Posted by urk:
Instead of shooting like this: CRYCRYCRYCRYCRY
Shoot like this: CRY CRY CRY CRY CRY

No crouching required.

Haven't had bloom troubles since!
When Frankie saves us from the oppression under the shadow of Sage's fist it will be a crying shame that all those moments spent practising will be lost in time like tears in the rain.

GhaleonEB said:
I'm trying to formulate a sentence that better describes, succinctly, the ways Reach's vehicles are badly tuned, but this is pretty much perfect.

Use it in a publication, make my day!

Juices, come on bro.

Can we all agree that even if you don't play playlists with them, vehicles have always been an integral part of the halo experience?

Striker

CyReN said:
I agree about the shooting aspects. Melee had no lunge because it wasn't built for online MP, however.

That said, bloom, spread, recoil. They're all mechanics to tune a weapon's power, and at least in recoil, you're able to control it and aren't punished by any randomness which is caused by the other two, be it the firing rate or the reliance on good host. If we had dedicated servers, spread might be fine and dandy.

A27_StarWolf said:
Juices, come on bro.

Can we all agree that even if you don't play playlists with them, vehicles have always been an integral part of the halo experience?

Agreed without vehicles and AR's all the bad kids would probably stop playing and the good kids (not you) would have nothing to dong on. So thank you for being you :)

xxjuicesxx said:
Agreed without vehicles and AR's all the bad kids would probably stop playing and the good kids (not you) would have nothing to dong on. So thank you for being you :)

The BR is possibly one of the worst inventions ever.

Look at all the shit it has caused?

I have a problem with AR starts, but I DON"T have a problem with the AR.

If you get killed by an Assault Rifle, and you have a DMR, you sir, are the BK.

xxjuicesxx said:

Nade + AR in a tight space and side stepping can easily wreck a DMR.

A27_StarWolf said:
The BR is possibly one of the worst inventions ever.

Look at all the shit it has caused?

I have a problem with AR starts, but I DON"T have a problem with the AR.

If you get killed by an Assault Rifle, and you have a DMR, you sir, are the BK.

For the record I agree with you and think Vehicles have theyre spot in Halo, and even if I spend most of my games playing the Pit its nice to have a game of BTB with a Banshee once in a while.

I dont understand where the BR comes into it, I also dont understand why you are hating on it. I hate you man :(

Gui_PT

Does anyone want to party up in a couple of hours? I haven't played MM in a while.

Btw, if anyone has an extra render minute, this just happened to me while playing WC:
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=19587581&player=Monolith%20Gui
That really scared me lol

bobs99 ... said:
For the record I agree with you and think Vehicles have theyre spot in Halo, and even if I spend most of my games playing the Pit its nice to have a game of BTB with a Banshee once in a while.

I dont understand where the BR comes into it, I also dont understand why you are hating on it. I hate you man :(

I don't hate it my self, but the bland one weapon only gameplay that some people like just boggles my mind. I love the weapon sandbox, when I use a needler whenever I am playing with kylej I get told "put that shit down and pick up a DMR".

No, I won't because I can obviously kill with a needler. The idea that one gun rules all in any game is,

boring .
repetitive.
annoying.

I understand a DMR being a go to gun and such, but an assault rifle should be more effective close, a plasma repeater as well. Not like you don't spam with the DMR up close any way.

A27_StarWolf said:
I don't hate it my self, but the bland one weapon only gameplay that some people like just boggles my mind. I love the weapon sandbox, when I use a needler whenever I am playing with kylej I get told "put that shit down and pick up a DMR".

No, I won't because I can obviously kill with a needler. The idea that one gun rules all in any game is,

boring .
repetitive.
annoying.

I understand a DMR being a go to gun and such, but an assault rifle should be more effective close, a plasma repeater as well. Not like you don't spam with the DMR up close any way.
That just says it all.

A27_StarWolf said:

boring .
repetitive.
annoying.

My problem is, that while Halo has a pretty extensive sandbox, most of the weapons are just plain unfun to use. Plasma Rifles/ Ar's/ Spikers and all other automatics dont lend themselves to very dynamic gameplay. The needler is a little different from the rest of those, but even still, theres little more to it than holding down the trigger and aiming in the general direction of the opponent.

The BR gameplay can be seen to be very repetitive, but I feel as though it provides the most variety in terms of gameplay scenario's, it opens up more possibilities than simply running at your opponent holding the trigger.

This is just my opinion of course but I would prefer a game with less weapons, but weapons which lend themselves to a variety of situations and allow the player to create the variety in the gameplay itself, to a game with loads of weapons but rock paper scissors esque gameplay.

I hate to even say this, but I almost feel as if the people who hate on the 1 weapon gameplay just do it from an aesthetics viewpoint, the variety exists in the gameplay, but maybe they find it boring just seeing 1 weapon? Im not putting you in this bracket Starwolf as its clear your talking from a gameplay point of view, but I cant help think throwing in different BR skins would shut a lot of complainers on the Bnet forums up lol.

GhaleonEB said:

Makes me actually miss the days vehicles were indestructible and you had to fire directly at passengers to take them out. Made the vehicles less shit but still gave people a chance to take people out. As unrealistic as it was, it made for better and more hilarious vehicle shenanigans.

bobs99 ... said:
My problem is, that while Halo has a pretty extensive sandbox, most of the weapons are just plain unfun to use. Plasma Rifles/ Ar's/ Spikers and all other automatics dont lend themselves to very dynamic gameplay. The needler is a little different from the rest of those, but even still, theres little more to it than holding down the trigger and aiming in the general direction of the opponent.

The BR gameplay can be seen to be very repetitive, but I feel as though it provides the most variety in terms of gameplay scenario's, it opens up more possibilities than simply running at your opponent holding the trigger.

This is just my opinion of course but I would prefer a game with less weapons, but weapons which lend themselves to a variety of situations and allow the player to create the variety in the gameplay itself, to a game with loads of weapons but rock paper scissors esque gameplay.

I hate to even say this, but I almost feel as if the people who hate on the 1 weapon gameplay just do it from an aesthetics viewpoint, the variety exists in the gameplay, but maybe they find it boring just seeing 1 weapon?

When the BR got introduced they pretty much rendered a bunch of weapons inadequate. What I miss most about Halo 1 was the close range weapons when wielded properly could still take someone out even if they had the pistol. Halo 2 fucked that up so hard.

Kuroyume

Banned
A27_StarWolf said:

No. How can they be integral if you can play in a playlist without them?

So tired seeing of people whine about DMRs taking a goddamn Banshee apart. The thing has a fucking mini nuke on it. How the fuck do you balance against that? Lasers? LOL. The wraith? The splash damage on that thing could take like five well spread people out. Hard as hell to hijack it too because if a vehicle barely nudges up against you you're either splattered or your shield pops and you get knocked back like 5 feet for an easy kill. Whining about DMRs killing a Wraith... Give me a break.

Reach vehicles have to be the deadliest in the series, and yet people still complain. At the very least they made the armor weak to give the rest of us a chance. Nerf them some more for Halo 4 and lets get back to the basics. Hand guns, strafing, jumping, etc. ON FOOT STUFF... That's a first person shooter. Enough of this I want to drive around with my buddy for 15 minutes killing everyone. If they don't kill everyone at the vert least they kill any sort of movement in the game because no one wants to get caught in the middle of a warthog's chaingun.

I would really love to see the weapons removed from vehicles. Just make them transport vehicles.

rjm6g6.jpg

My top 5. I wish melee was lower...

Seems like I'm the only one who uses the pistol.

Kuroyume said:
I would really love to see the weapons removed from vehicles. Just make them transport vehicles.

Bump up the damage taken and I agree. The problem with a bunch of maps in Big Team is it's a chore to get to the opposing base.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Kuroyume said:
No. How can they be integral if you can play in a playlist without them?

Stupid reasoning. It would be valid if there only one playlist available, which there isn't. Playlists that don't have vehicles aren't using the full sandbox.

The Halo sandbox has included vehicles from day one and vehicles do play an important and irreplaceable role. Remove vehicles and vehicle combat from Halo and it's not Halo.

Dani said:
Stupid reasoning. It would be valid if there only one playlist available, which there isn't. Playlists that don't have vehicles aren't using the full sandbox.

The Halo sandbox has included vehicles from day one and vehicles do play an important and irreplaceable role. Remove vehicles and vehicle combat from Halo and it's not Halo.
Precisely. A good game of BTB is really what defines Halo for me. Vehicle combat has been a main feature of Halo since the first game. No other FPS incorporates vehicle combat as smoothly and as naturally than Halo.

cory021

Neo Member
I had this great idea as a sort of replacement for bloom:

What if instead of using bloom to 'balance' the weapons, the auto-aim was the primary factor in balancing weapons.

Think about it: Range is one of the things that puts the weapons into their respective roles. It's harder to kill with an AR past the range where the auto-aim is gone. This is one of the main reasons the precision weapons are so powerful, their auto-aim is effective at all ranges, including the AR's range.

So, what if we took the BR and slightly reduced the auto-aim at close-range? It is still completely possible for the weapon to dominate the AR, but when it gets closer, the BR-user will find his reticule 'slippery.' Doing this will make weapons fit more appropriately in their respective ranges, but they can still be used differently than how they are designed.

This also would bring up another fix for bloom: replace the randomness of bloom with simply a slight decrease in auto-aim for every shot fired. The gun won't be random at all; it'll just be harder to use. I could even argue that it would be more skillful to use. Spamming a BR/DMR obviously has the potential for a faster kill, but the user will feel the reticule become less and less attracted to the target. Pacing your shot will kill slower, but the aiming won't be as difficult.

What do you think?

Tawpgun

1. Vehicles are an integral part of Halo and what made it so unique among other things. I can think of only the Battlefield and to an extent, Unreal, that made vehicles work well. Halo made them shine really well.

2. The BR is overpowering. But Bungie's approach to this has been to nerf the BR until its no fun to use/don't have it as a starting weapon. If they bring back the unique weapons in Halo 1, it would be amazing.

All the human weapons were perfect.
Sniper
Pistol
AR
Shotgun
Rockets

Then the covy weapons had a stun on them which made them useful. Except for the needler. That thing was trash in Halo 1.

I was wondering. What if they returned to DMR with slightly less range, and the AR was made with a burst fire. It would be more accurate than the current AR, but it wouldn't be spraying. It would let loose 3 or whatever bullets that had a decent spread on them.

Kuroyume

Banned
Dani said:

Your reasoning is stupid. Is there any playlist that uses the full sandbox? All the weapons? Vehicles? No, so shut up. Just crawl back into your hole.

Sandbox is another word for bullshit. Whenever I play Halo I don't touch the vehicles. I think I touched a vehicle maybe 5 times in the thousand games I've played. That's when I have a choice. Don't get me started on this Rocket Race/Hog Race crap...

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Kuroyume said:
Your reasoning is stupid. Is there any playlist that uses the full sandbox? All the weapons? Vehicles? No, so shut up. Just crawl back into your hole.

Sandbox is another word for bullshit. Whenever I play Halo I don't touch the vehicles. I think I touched a vehicle maybe 5 times in the thousand games I've played. That's when I have a choice. Don't get me started on this Rocket Race/Hog Race crap...

Cute.

Playlists and gametypes are designed to cater to fans of certain aspects of the sandbox. No single playlist could incorporate the entire sandbox although some BTB maps come close.

These facts don't care for your preferred playlists or play styles. You don't touch vehicles? Well good for you. Ignore them all you want but others, thankfully, don't feel the same as yourself. Your opinion can't change fact either.

Stay classy though. =)

GloveSlap said:
The pistol really does get shit on in every possible way by the game. It has the worst bloom and seems to be affected by lag the most, all magnified by it's microscopic clip size and inferiority to the AR. It really is such a frustrating burden to use, i feel like a martyr using it.

I would love to talk to Sage/whoever else was responsible for the "make AR stronger and nerf literally everything else in the game" post beta. I would like to ask them why they hate fun.

Also, I played CE last night. That game is so much better than the other Halo games its a damn joke haha.

As for Pistol/AR/DMR/BR for Halo 4 discussion, I feel that Halo 4 needs a single starting weapon (or pair of weapons), that is the default starting set for all games. Not AR vs BR start bullshit that does nothing good for the game or the community. A single-shot precision weapon with a 2X scope. I would prefer that it is a pistol, but that's really just the skin, the functionality of the weapon is whats important. It would also be much easier to balance a weapon sandbox around a single starting weapon.

Tuvani? What happened?

Also:
weps.png

AR nowhere to be found.

dc89

Probably just pulled off my best bit of Halo 'Skill' ever.

Under fire from a rocket launcher I dodge the first rocket, then I duck under his second rocket before running to the right, hurling a sticky right at him and blowing him off the map. I'll make a video!

Edit: Best way to do it was to film my screen haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuX7Q-gZFmw

Enjoy. Let me know what you think.

dc89

Hypertrooper said:
Anyone is playing right now?

I'm online for the next 30 mins but I don't think any of you guys have my gamer tag.

I use two.

dc89
St1ss

I'm on dc89 right now. Feel free to add and we can play sometime.

dc89 said:
Probably just pulled off my best bit of Halo 'Skill' ever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuX7Q-gZFmw
Enjoy. Let me know what you think.

That, sir, was glorious.

Major Williams said:
Clearly best with the Nerfle...

Picture1.png
[/IMG]

cory021 said:
I had this great idea as a sort of replacement for bloom:

What if instead of using bloom to 'balance' the weapons, the auto-aim was the primary factor in balancing weapons.

Think about it: Range is one of the things that puts the weapons into their respective roles. It's harder to kill with an AR past the range where the auto-aim is gone. This is one of the main reasons the precision weapons are so powerful, their auto-aim is effective at all ranges, including the AR's range.

So, what if we took the BR and slightly reduced the auto-aim at close-range? It is still completely possible for the weapon to dominate the AR, but when it gets closer, the BR-user will find his reticule 'slippery.' Doing this will make weapons fit more appropriately in their respective ranges, but they can still be used differently than how they are designed.

This also would bring up another fix for bloom: replace the randomness of bloom with simply a slight decrease in auto-aim for every shot fired. The gun won't be random at all; it'll just be harder to use. I could even argue that it would be more skillful to use. Spamming a BR/DMR obviously has the potential for a faster kill, but the user will feel the reticule become less and less attracted to the target. Pacing your shot will kill slower, but the aiming won't be as difficult.

What do you think?

That sounds good, probably better than bloom. However, I imagine that sort of thing would be hard to code whilst accounting for latency, plus it's a rather complicated solution, when many agree that the Halo 2 BR had the balance right (sans bxr etcetera).

Sordid

I was curious to see my AR stats but it's way down my list. However...

TDjFi.png

SO much grenades, I never even realised. With my skills I'll take kills any way I can get 'em though!

Havok

A27_StarWolf said:
Bro, I have a love affair with the banshee, and I think you are wrong.

You have to be TOP NOTCH with vehicles to actually do well in this game.
u7oub.png

So much skill.

The Banshee is ridiculously overpowered, if you're flipping all over the place (stupidly removing the lock-on from almost all anti-air vehicles and causing DMR autoaim to freak out) you can last upwards of 5 minutes and sixty+ kills on a single life. That's not okay. The Wraith is much less of an issue, I won't contest that, but Ghaleon's sentiment is the right one here.

Top Bottom