• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Booshka

HAHAHA Wow at that AR video, I have seen some awful displays of flawed gunplay mechanics in Halo 2 and 3, but that AR video for Reach takes the cake. H2 had some shitty bullet magnetism, and Halo 3 had some awful melee magnetism, but the fact that only about 15% of the reticule is on the target, and none of the center of the reticule, yet nearly all the bullets hit, is embarrassing.

The range is also disconcerting, that is way too effective at that range to spray in the general direction and be effective. What a complete failure of balance that the AR can be that easy and that Overpowered, when skill based precision weapons like the DMR, and especially Pistol, are actually nerfed by the bloom, when a spray weapon isn't. I like that you can effectively burst the AR, but the fact that the bullet magnetism is that fucked, almost negates that mechanic.

I played a few Double Team games, I actually enjoy the pace and style of that playlist, but I was reminded how insane both jetpacking with AR/Nades, and with the Needler especially is. It is so damn scrubby for a player to fly up and spray while chucking nades and get easy kills. The Jetpacking Needler combo is even worse, that gun is way too strong and the jetpack just amplifies it's lock on even more. It was infuriating to get killed by that combo when I played, then I used it a couple times and noticed the glaring issues with its balance.

The AR video makes me want to do some Shadowrun mythbuster type tests with the aiming model and mechanics. I have seen plenty of Halo vids, and Halo CE is the best, but it was never online. So, I would like to see how the modified Halo CE engine of Shadowrun handled the online environment in respect to their aiming model. If anyone would like to help me out, send me a message on XBL, GT Booshka. I'll be on maybe later tonight, and most of tomorrow.

So for most of you this will mean nothing, but I quit my job today... I have been working for the same company for five years and now it is time for a change. This also means I will no longer be away from home for 3 weeks of the month... aka more time to participate in customs/nightly MM games.

I am home in four days, and am looking forward to playing with some of you guys again. It has been to long!

Also PAX is fast approaching, and I am excited for Halo Fest this year. Have they given any details on what will be available/shown?

MrBig

Tunavi said:
So I just discovered how to install mods for the Halo demo. Holy shit this is so fucking awesome
Been modding halo since 2004. Still dig into it occasionally. The build up to H2's launch with CMT's pre-makes, and Ms Doublefire's New Mombasa was the highlight of my stay in the Halo community thus far. It's a shame that we haven't been provided the same experience since. Console gaming is great and all but the community is nothing compared to what springs up on PC- TF2, Oblivion, Unreal, Halo, pretty much every big console game was 100 times the size in community involvement on the PC side.

Devin Olsen said:
So for most of you this will mean nothing, but I quit my job today... I have been working for the same company for five years and now it is time for a change. This also means I will no longer be away from home for 3 weeks of the month... aka more time to participate in customs/nightly MM games.

I am home in four days, and am looking forward to playing with some of you guys again. It has been to long!

Also PAX is fast approaching, and I am excited for Halo Fest this year. Have they given any details on what will be available/shown?
Hope you find a better job!

And Ghaleon, I really enjoyed your Firefight article. Now if there were only something on campaign...

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
Hope you find a better job!

And Ghaleon, I really enjoyed your Firefight article. Now if there were only something on campaign...
Thanks. I put a lot of time into the Campaign piece this week, but cut that off as the week progressed to work on the Firefight one. In terms of completion, I went through it from the beginning and smoothed it out, marking out what's done and what's left to do. All told it's about 3/4 done now. Two big topics to hit, a polish pass, and then some media to drop in. Probably one last week. (I know, I know.)

Kibbles

ZayneH said:
2d0ysd2.jpg
That gif never gets old, lmao every time I see it. :D

Dax01 said:
I expect an updated .gif of this with the new graphics from Anniversary.
I challenge someone to do this. I'll give you a internet high five.

GhaleonEB said:
Thanks. I put a lot of time into the Campaign piece this week, but cut that off as the week progressed to work on the Firefight one. In terms of completion, I went through it from the beginning and smoothed it out, marking out what's done and what's left to do. All told it's about 3/4 done now. Two big topics to hit, a polish pass, and then some media to drop in. Probably one last week. (I know, I know.)
What's most hilarious is I've never been this hyped for a videogam review. Haha. Can't wait to dive into your analysis.

Ramirez

lolz at people actually being shocked that the BTB playlist sucks. There is no saving BTB in this game, every amazing BTB map across the game could be released and it would still be terrible, the gunplay and vehicle mechanics are just flat out trash for BTB.

CyReN

Lazslo said:
Nice- I like watching StrongSide donginate, especially when he Strongsides

-Hey Tashi- What's the MLG-scene overall opinion of the DMR? Do they like it better then the H3 BR. I have to believe their favorite was the H2 BR right?

Like every new game the population seems splits on the new game. I prefer Reach to H3.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Domino Theory said:
LMAO

Man I love that gif.

Me too. One of my favorites :lol I love doing the Bert stare in real life. Shit cracks me up.

I might be a little crazy :p

FyreWulff

Man, how did I know Bungie was going to be using Omaha Steaks.

We actually had a transfer student from Germany choose Omaha to go to because they had Omaha Steaks all the time and thought we all eat them daily or had them super cheap here.

(We don't, we have to order them just like everyone else)

And all the beef in our local grocery stores is actually from Alberta.

tl;dr I've probably seen some of the Bungie Day Steaks pass by me while still mooing on a truck.

We should schedule some NON MINI GAME CUSTOMS.

Oh yeah, no MLG either >.>

I miss playing BTB with just you guys doing customs, it feels like BTB again. Who is down?

Ramirez

I think it says a lot about this game when customs were dead in the water a couple moths after they started, heh. Halo 3 customs were epic, even with its problems.

Hey You

Ramirez said:
I think it says a lot about this game when customs were dead in the water a couple moths after they started, heh. Halo 3 customs were epic, even with its problems.
Yeah, there were plenty of customs during Summer 2010.

J-Roderton

Ramirez said:

Can't tell you the last time I played customs.

GhaleonEB

Customs definitely fizzled out a lot faster with Reach. With Halo 3 I built five maps over the course of a year after Sandbox hit, all tested and iterated on in HaloGAF customs. With Reach I did just two, and the last major update only got one game before customs petered out to the point where BTB games don't happen often.
A27 Tawpgun said:
I'm going to see if I can fix Highlands.
Highlands can't be fixed.

Tawpgun

We could always try and start it up again. I'm sure there will be somewhat of a revival after CEA. Then we hold out for a year for Halo 4. Hopefully a beta in between then.

I'm going to see if I can fix Highlands.

FyreWulff

It's been so long since I've played on either Highlands or Condemned.

Note to 343 / Certain Affinity: Please, no more developer-only Forge objects like Uplink. I'd like to be able to place doors/walls too, thanks.

edit: Also, it'd be great if the Remake Pack had door and wall objects so we could change the flow of the classic maps as well. IE make Beaver Creek with closed-off bases for example. Without having to make it look all junky with crates or something.

feel

Ramirez said:
I miss them so much :(

Ryaaan14

Banned
Uh, why don't you guys still play Halo 3 customs then?

Hopped on Halo 3 a couple weeks ago and it felt great. A little variety is healthy.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Before I sign on,

Oh AR of mine
Kill when I lack aiming ability
Enshrine me in your gilded bullets
So that I may best my opponent
Wielders of precision

Spread, spread, spread
Like scattered seed across the fields

Cut, cut, cut
Like diamonds with our own dust

Wield, wield, wield
Spartans at war

Thrill, thrill, thrill
Evade, Jetpack, Armor Lock, nevermore

Without skill, without practice, without trying

Kill them all
Just make me winner before The Fall

Hyxgo.jpg

ljpT4.png

Everyone post your AR k/d. Also your own AR odes/poems/tributes if you're feeling inspired.

feel

Ryaaan14 said:
Uh, why don't you guys still play Halo 3 customs then?

Hopped on Halo 3 a couple weeks ago and it felt great. A little variety is healthy.
1075990.jpg

The problem would be getting other gaffers to show up.

Ramirez said:

I think it also says a lot about the people playing.

Top Bottom