• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

A27 Tawpgun said:
Just found this thread over at HBO.

http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=1082222#m_1082222

Some pics and vids of the LAN and a good writeup. I noticed some fancy audio and video equipment. So the LAN will probably make it into the Vidoc.

These things look so awesome. I've had a few LAN experiences at my local community center years ago, but it was always with people I already knew. I would LOVE to go to a massive LAN like this to meet some members of the community.

Also, Wu didn't take his shirt off in the video. I was disappoint.

Lans are probably my fondest memories of Halo. As for the vidoc, I'm hoping they at least hint at what genre or sort of game their next title is. Also wouldn't mind reading that post mortem on Reach Urk spoke of a few months ago.

Tunavi

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
AR starts in Reach is better than H3 yes, but it's still terrible. I have almost no fun on AR starts. I just want my beta magnum back. I LOVED using that thing.
Beta Magnum - had a FAST firing rate, very small bloom, the thing was a beast.
Vanilla Reach Magnum - Pistol firing rate has been slowed, bloom is HUGE, thing got fucking nerfed.

Beta Assault Rifle - Complete shit
Vanilla Reach Assault Rifle - A lot more powerful

Thank you Sage for ruining Reach.

MrBig

Tunavi said:
Beta Magnum - had a FAST firing rate, very small bloom, the thing was a beast.
Vanilla Reach Magnum - Pistol firing rate has been slowed, bloom is HUGE, thing got fucking nerfed.

Beta Assault Rifle - Complete shit
Vanilla Reach Assault Rifle - A lot more powerful

Thank you Sage for ruining Reach.
Sage: Make the AR stronger and nerf everything else

this can not be said enough

One of my biggest problems with Reach is that the 3 starting weapons can all have almost the same kill time in cqc. Makes for terrible firefights.

Tawpgun

I hope 343 realizes the importance of precision weapons in Halo's gameplay.

Bungie, to me, seems to try REALLY hard pushing the AR starts gameplay and making it seem like the real way to play Halo.

From the H1 Pistol being a mistake
SMG starts and spread BR (until patch) in H2
AR starts with no pistol until BR starts starting coming in and AR starts got a pistol (all be it a terrible one) in H3...

Reach has actually done fairly well in this besides some flaws like AR's in objective. We have a decent pistol, but when it was REALLY good they nerfed it to make the AR more powerful....

But you listen to one side and piss off the other.... Would anyone be against the setting AR/BR preferences before the party leader goes in? Everyone would be happy.

Detox

I hope that the Halo 4 trailer means the AR is dropped from Halo. Just dropping the colour purple isn't enough for 343 to distinguish their games from Bungie's, they need to drop the bane of all Halo fans existence.

Tawpgun

Detox said:
I hope that the Halo 4 trailer means the AR is dropped from Halo. Just dropping the colour purple isn't enough for 343 to distinguish their games from Bungie's, they need to drop the bane of all Halo fans existence.
Hopefully Forerunners have precision, hitscan weapons....

Campaign wise, we'd only have human weapons for the first mission or so.... Not sure how they could give us more human weapons.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
CyReN said:
The main problem is the AR, it's always been a terrible weapon.

the AR's role should be (and is, IMO) a good CQC weapon for newbs. the pistol, its compliment in AR starts, is a tougher weapon to use but (again, IMO) its superior in CQC and also useful in longer range combat.

i have no issues with AR's (except coupled with teams of jetpackers!) - it gives less skilled players an opportunity to get kills and i own them all day long with timed and accurate pistol shots.

my one complaint with the changes to these weapons, post beta, is the drop of two bullets from the pistol clip, which would allow you a bit more flexibility in taking on more then one opponent or correcting for a few missed shots.

i actually prefer AR/pistol starts in most games as i think it adds a lot more variety to the combat, whereas with BR/DMR starts combat is 99% the same. i should add that while i think i'm a better then average to good player, i'm not ultra competitive and have never approached the games with that mindset.

A27 Tawpgun said:

Campaign wise, we'd only have human weapons for the first mission or so.... Not sure how they could give us more human weapons.

sentinel beams for all! yuk

it would be nice to have the dmr and br in halo 4, obviously with some tweaks to distinguish them. a 3 shot closer range br vs. the long range single shot dmr would be sweet IMO.

GhaleonEB

My preference would be for the magnum's Beta firing speed to be restored, but not the recoil, and the bloom effect to be reduced greatly. Then it would be a powerful precision close range weapon. But I'd remove its scope, and then reduce the scope on the DMR to 2X, to bring the average kill distances in Reach closer together. I don't have a problem with the AR's power. Given that it cannot do headshots, it should be powerful and have decent range.

kylej said:
wape.png

I think Devin Olsen wins this battle with like 2 AR kills.
I re-live each one... It's like a bad re-occurring dream.
IptXc.png

Tawpgun

GhaleonEB said:
My preference would be for the magnum's Beta firing speed to be restored, but not the recoil, and the bloom effect to be reduced greatly. Then it would be a powerful precision close range weapon. But I'd remove its scope, and then reduce the scope on the DMR to 2X, to bring the average kill distances in Reach closer together. I don't have a problem with the AR's power. Given that it cannot do headshots, it should be powerful and have decent range.

2 things.

Please don't remove my pistol's scope :(

Make the new precision weapon have a smaller zoom and less accuracy from FAAAAAAAR away. You're right in your complaints that the DMR has FAR too long of a range. But then the DMR can't come back because long range is what a Designated Marksman Rifle is. Bring back the BR or introduce a new weapon.

Bloom needs to leave though.

My other fear is base movement speed and sprint.... Every single fps now has sprint built in and I think the only people calling for Halo to have sprint are the CoD fans that want to play Halo from time to time. I've always been proud of Halo for not following terrible FPS trends, but with the advent of Armor Abilities and Loadouts, I don't like where its headed.

If they DO do sprint, two things...

1. It's use is primarily to run around the map. No melee rushing. There should be a significant delay of when you come out sprint to when you can shoot/melee.

2. Base movement speed needs to be at Halo 2 levels at least. Putting in sprint and sacrificing base movement speed is a TERRIBLE idea.

But no sprint at all would be preffered. I'm just scared after reading over this, which has been posted before, it's a possible leak of Halo 4 details.
http://segmentnext.com/2011/06/09/halo-4-leaked-plot-features-and-gameplay-detailed/

Many things about it seem really cool and I like, like the way the planet works.
Some things I'm interested in but don't know if they will destroy Halo or not, like the AIM system.

Other things are just downright retarded like warring human factions from the forerunner planet ONI was apparently researching...

GhaleonEB said:
Thanks. I put a lot of time into the Campaign piece this week, but cut that off as the week progressed to work on the Firefight one. In terms of completion, I went through it from the beginning and smoothed it out, marking out what's done and what's left to do. All told it's about 3/4 done now. Two big topics to hit, a polish pass, and then some media to drop in. Probably one last week. (I know, I know.)
Definitely looking forward to it, your articles are always a great read.

Plywood said:
For new page, post your AR k/d, genuinely curious.
With the little MP that I participate in:
V6Lqn.png

I'm very happy with my 5.89 k/d with the pro-pipe.

A27 Tawpgun said:

The removable pieces for Chief's weapon is very intriguing. Can't wait to hear more about who the adversary/adversaries are this time around. No giant space monkeys, please.

Anyone else get the Unicron vibe from the teaser, or is it just me?
NIy81.png

VfmAs.jpg

edit: that 'leak' sounds like complete fabrication. "a friend of someone"? Yay, internet journalism. :-|

squidhands said:
Anyone else get the Unicron vibe from the teaser, or is it just me?
http://i.imgur.com/NIy81.png[/IM

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/VfmAs.jpg[/IM
[/QUOTE]
Not me. It didn't even cross my mind until you posted that.

Tawpgun

Louis Wu said:
As you say... it was filmed for the ViDoc. I don't need my overly large belly enshrined for perpetuity, thanks.

XD

Looks like you guys had a blast though.

Anyway, campaign wise I'm hoping for a very CE like vibe in that you're exploring an alien world and trying to figure everything out. A good pacing between exploring and MASSIVE battles.

Also,

Tunavi
Banned
(Today, 11:17 AM)
Reply | Quote

Explanation?

feel

Battle Rifle starts as the default start across everything for Halo 4 please. Lots of people won't like it you say? Well, we've endured AR and SMG starts being shoved down our throats for 7 years, I think they'll be ok. Their spray machine is one button press away anyways, and a powerweapon that outperforms the BR probably a short walk away. And make the gametype and map vote separate, sucks having to choose a bad map over a good one just because of the gametype.

Tunavi banned wat

GhaleonEB

squidhands said:
It probably helps me because I saw that movie at the theater when it came out.
Same. Great movie, blew my mind at the time. It was startling to see Transformers getting killed after years of everyone being just fine for so long. I had the same thought about Unicron when I saw the trailer.

Letters said:
Battle Rifle starts as the default start across everything for Halo 4 please. Lots of people won't like it you say? Well, we've endured AR and SMG starts being shoved down our throats for 7 years, I think they'll be ok. Their spray machine is one button press away anyways, and a powerweapon that outperforms the BR probably a short walk away. And make the gametype and map vote separate, sucks having to choose a bad map over a good one just because of the gametype.

Tunavi banned wat

Said this since H3. You can't use any of the data present because its unclear whether the voter is voting for the gametype or map.

Ramirez

Ryaaan14 said:
Except if someone gets killed by an AR, they made a poor choice to counter the attack. If you're using a pistol against an AR and die, you are obviously using the pistol ineffectively. If you are using an AR against another AR and constantly losing, you need to aim better or have better timing.

Regardless of whatever balance the beta had, the way things are now is the way things are. I'm probably going to take some heat for saying this, but I just get annoyed when I hear people make claims about balance issues that have been tested to a ridiculous extent.

Tested to such a ridiculous extent that the video posted yesterday shows the crosshair doesn't even need to be on someone for bullets to hit, lol. You missed the point entirely about the other stuff, the amount of effort needed to kill someone with an AR compared to the Pistol is a colossal gap, it's a scrub weapon, plain and simple.

For the record, I really feel like the AR could be made just as good as the other precision weapons, mainly by lowering the clip a ton and actually making headshots make a difference once shields are down. Lower the clip and make people actually have to aim to kill something.

I don't know, I think it would be skilled if it was just consistent. For that alone I'd take the Beta Pro Pipe

It is consistent though, it's just not the smaller rocket launcher it was in the beta anymore.

108ius1.jpg

I regret nothing. Not to mention that probably half of my melee kills were the result of extremely skillful CQC AR charges. Mock me if you dare :p

comeatmebro.gif

Tawpgun

Letters said:

Tunavi banned wat

And then the AR users cry about how its not fair because DMR's are dominating the game and they don't want to use them because its too hard/variety.

Everytime someone brings up AR/DMR starts, this happens.

Also, agree on map and gametype voting.

Oh, and something about explosive weapons? Mainly regarding the Rockets among other things.

Make the explosive radius/damage much smaller. Halo 3 rockets took SOME skill to use and it was possible for the victim to dodge the kill if he timed his jump perfectly. All the explosives in this game are absurd.

Karl2177

Since I'm no where near a computer, iPhone version will have to do. Also when I went to the full version of the site on my phone, all of my stats were jacked up.

Edit: Silly me. They were on FF stats, not Competitive.

GhaleonEB

Dani said:
Bu..bu..bu.. we can't hate on the DMR!

I'm sure you'd get similar results from most of the weapons. Realities of aim assist/magnetism.
Which is what I was testing.

If any part of the targeting reticule is over a tiny fraction of an opponent, the reticule turns red, and all shots fired will land on the target, no matter what. Bloom is not a factor here since it just makes the reticule larger, with more overlap on the enemy. So all shots land whether you pace them or not. The DMR gets plenty of aim assist and fans of it should consider that when griping about the AR.

The one and only reason bloom exists as implemented in Reach is to make it harder to land headshots. The question is whether there needs to be a reason to make it harder to land headshots. Halo 3 had BR spread, but that was more to limit the range of the weapon; it was effective at headshots within its targeted range.

I think bloom is the wrong way to tune weapons, particularly precision weapons, and the mechanics of firing speed, built-in bullet spread (Halo 3 BR) and recoil are sufficient to tune weapons with. I find bloom to be a very frustrating mechanic to grapple with, and a poor way to make landing headshots more rewarding.

Well Bloom works pretty well on LAN. Then you go and get matched up against two different teams of Germans in Arena in a row and you wanna throw the fucking controller against the wall.

xxjuicesxx said:
Your K/D is high with vehicles. Try using a weapon that requires aiming and skill, not unslanted odds like killing people not in vehicles...You'll get there :)

Bro, I have a love affair with the banshee, and I think you are wrong.

You have to be TOP NOTCH with vehicles to actually do well in this game. Two people with DMR's can shut down a wraith. Halo would not be Halo without the amazing vehicles. I do a lot of wraith killing long range as well.

Top Bottom