• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Ramirez said:
I weep. I CANNOT play this game with randoms, I used to play Halo 3 all day by myself, but I can't stomach more than maybe 3 games of Reach before I want to break my Xbox...It's not even regular MP, I got disgusted with the amount of idiocy in the FF playlists that I gave up after a couple of games there too.
I might print this out and frame it.

Too true. It's why I stopped playing Reach until I joined GAF.

But why is this true? That's what I want to know.

Ramirez

Hitmonchan107 said:
I might print this out and frame it.

Too true.

But why is this true?

-Too many quitters
-Gameplay mechanics restrict the rambo backpacking you could do in past games
-Laughing about how bad the game is with friends takes away some of the frustration of actually focusing on just how bad the game is when you're alone.

I don't feel like listing anymore, I guess it basically just boils down to the game just not being as fun as past games for me. This sweeps across gameplay, maps, gametypes, etc. At least when I'm playing with friends we're chatting and generally having a good time trolling Nutter or something.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Ramirez said:
Tried playing Arena, 1st game was red bars the whole game, people from Canada, Colombia, and Mexico in it.

I still don't understand why there isn't a region filter that players can choose from. And don't give me that "but teh game has an automatic filter!!!" because it doesn't. Just let the player choose the region they want to get matched up in. If it takes 5 minutes to search for a game as a result? So what, the player made the decision on their own, now let them deal with any consequences of that decision that may or may not occur.

kylej

Banned
Tawpgun can vouch for this; we went into Arena as a team of four and got worked by one of the worst hosts ever. Found out at the end that they were all German. German host.

Ok, whatever. Try another game. New group of four people with horrendous host. Check gamertags after game.... all German.

Prefer good connection on.

Couldn't play anymore after that horseshit. Reach is hysterical.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Devolution said:
Psst, they all have broken spawns. And it's even worse if it's objectives.
Zealot throws the people literally in your face, even at your own base in Slayer or right after you just killed them.

Sai-kun

Banned
Devolution said:
My favorite is playing doubles and they spawn my buddy across the map.

Real Devo quote: "Why the fuck is no one ever near me?"

:lol I say sorry every time, but somehow you manage to go lone wolf when you're destroying peeps.

Trasher

Thermite said:
MY FAVORITE IS REACH
al_swearengen_30frames.jpg

J-Roderton

Spending most of my weekend drinking and completely missing out on my Reach festivities. Tomorrow is a sober Reach day. Haven't made a cR all day. Gotta enjoy my time up until Bungie day.

FyreWulff

Remember when Halo 2 randomly spawned your team on both sides of Coag at the start of a Team Slayer match?

Good times

edit: also the killing floor that was the offense spawn on Burial Mounds

J-Roderton

Trasher said:
We yelled at Halo a lot today... Doubles can be so mind-numbing.

Unless you get the occasional amazing teammate. Even when neither of you are using mics, but you both just completely play amazing together.

Jroderton said:
Unless you get the occasional amazing teammate. Even when neither of you are using mics, but you both just completely play amazing together.

Oh Trasher and I were playing together but we kept getting crap maps, hosts and then we'd spawn literally on the opposite end of a map from each other. It was a piss off for sure.

Trasher

Jroderton said:
It's still shit. Me and Devo were playing together, and the friggin maps are just awful. Every forge map is so frustrating with their random spawns.

Havok

Trasher said:
It's still shit. Me and Devo were playing together, and the friggin maps are just awful. Every forge map is so frustrating with their random spawns.
Not even just Forge maps, but every map (although Forged maps do amplify the problem, you're right), since spawns and spawn zones are placed with Forge. Part of me wonders if this is the primary reason for the awful spawns in the last two games. I remember one of the Bungie guys here saying to place two spawn points on top of each other instead of just one, to give the system more choices, which doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the spawn system. Note: I am completely ignorant of the technical details of any of these systems and am just speculating.

MrBig

Havok said:
Not even just Forge maps, but every map (although Forged maps do amplify the problem, you're right), since spawns and spawn zones are placed with Forge. Part of me wonders if this is the primary reason for the awful spawns in the last two games.
No, the last two games have been the first to implement respawn zones...

It's a problem with not having any standard spawn set up principles, and using neutral spawns. If you're going to use neutral spawns you have to use redundant zones and anti-zones, which even bungie (shishka?) failed to set up properly in reach and 3

Jroderton said:
Tunavi and I are unstoppable when we play doubles together.

Isn't that right, Tunavi?

Oh wait...

LOL I kid because I care.

FyreWulff

Havok said:
Not even just Forge maps, but every map (although Forged maps do amplify the problem, you're right), since spawns and spawn zones are placed with Forge. Part of me wonders if this is the primary reason for the awful spawns in the last two games. I remember one of the Bungie guys here saying to place two spawn points on top of each other instead of just one, to give the system more choices, which doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the spawn system. Note: I am completely ignorant of the technical details of any of these systems and am just speculating.

I think two spawns on each other have the same weight.

People generally like my spawns, however none of my maps have made it into matchmaking. But you are correct, the more choices you give the engine (ie more spawn points), the better they work. It seems weird but people that forge maps almost always have them spawn starved, because they think "I want someone to spawn in this area, so I'll throw down a point or two" then they need to be putting down 5 or 6 to account for deweighting by nearby players or increased weighting by nearby teammates. I wrote an entire FAQ for it for Halo 3 over at HBO.

Notable changes from 3 to Reach as confirmed by Jonnyothan is that Reach has Line-of-Sight spawn blocking depending on what weapon the enemy player is holding.

tl;dr Spawns work better if people think of spawning players in areas and not points. Especially since you can place up to 250 now, which is over twice the amount you had access to in Halo 3.

tl;dr2 Most maps should not ever have sided spawns because they're either a) not big enough or b) not enough safe locations on both sides to put the team. It just barely works on Valhalla, definitely does not work on Highlands or Tempest, etc. The only map in Reach that should have sided spawns in Slayer is Coag, because it's the only one that's long enough in one direction to justify it. Otherwise people should be making heavier use of buddy spawning to spawn a team next to each other (which is why you need to place more than 2 spawnpoints at a location). If you want locked spawns there needs to be more than 2 ways out of the base.

feel

Heads up for those on my xbl friends list, I changed my gamertag slightly to better reflect my real portuguese name, and so I don't get dumbasses on live getting joy out of pronouncing it with a retardedly exagerated latino accent (or calling me a beaner) every single game.

VVVV haha

Booshka

Letters said:
Heads up for those on my xbl friends list, I changed my gamertag slightly to better reflect my real portuguese name, and so I don't get dumbasses on live getting joy out of pronouncing it with a retardedly exagerated latino accent (or calling me a beaner) every single game.
My friend decided to make his GT Noche Negra, an awful decision
14 year olds call him "Nacho Negro"
Because of this, I gave him the nick name Nacho, I have been calling him by that for about a year now. You can't expect any better of the general XBL population to pronounce anything correctly, especially not GT's in other languages. I constantly remind him by calling him Nacho.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Letters said:
I've been called Xenalock, Xena warrior princess, Xenocock, Xenoclock and I shit you not Xenowhateverthefuckyournameis.

FyreWulff

PNut said:
I'm too lazy to check but how'd the Legendary no deaths run work out?

Died on Oni Sword Base.

Since it was a speedrun, I aimed the Target Locator for the usual spot to take both of them out at once, and ran by to the right to go activate the AA gun.

A little while later, apparently one of the wraiths survived and decided to kill me across the island over the mountain. I couldn't even see it from where I died. I guess Kat/the other AI didn't move up and attack it so it tracked me across the map and killed me because I stopped moving :(

Amusingly, I was power sliding around the mountain on Winter Contigency and ran sideways into a BOB near the upper holdout spot. I didn't even know there was a BOB there on that level in that spot - first time I ran into one there - almost killed me.

zumphry

Banned
Plywood said:
I've been called Xenalock, Xena warrior princess, Xenocock, Xenoclock and I shit you not Xenowhateverthefuckyournameis.

I'm still waiting for the game where someone other than myself calls me Zayne humps for free.

Oh wait, I have everyone but friends and party muted. Nvm.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
ZayneH said:
I'm still waiting for the game where someone other than myself calls me Zayne humps for free.

Oh wait, I have everyone but friends and party muted. Nvm.
Same here, this was all before that one feature. One of the best features in Reach actually.

Sai-kun

Banned
SleazyB!

(is that too easy?)

edit: in before someone says he was joking or not to take it seriously.

edit 2: eazyb is still a douche, but i guess he was not totally serious :lol oh u

MrBig said:
You should experienced that miserable game of banshee squatting on renegade with us on Renegade a few days ago.
I'm glad I missed it.

Devolution said:
What the fuck made them think BTB Snipers is a gametype worth playing?
The thing that makes me puke in my mouth a little is the fact that it's voted on with such voracity. More than half the group of 16 people voted for it, both time I played it. I even backed out to re-start the search, but I got paired up with a few of the same people and it was an overwhelming majority in favor of the same gametype on the same damned map. The stupidity of people is still baffling to me.

dc89

A27 Tawpgun said:
If you save that film and let me download it I'd love to make it more cinematic. This goes for everyone I gotta put my capcard to use somehow.

If you have an AMAZING halo moment and want it made awesome with more camera angles, give me the link to the file.

Example:
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=15728900&player=Tunavi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbjJ8_56b94&feature=channel_video_title

Sent you a PM.

Is this what you need?

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=19592125&player=dc89

Plasmid

did 5 levels on Legendary solo today, 7/9 baby, tomorrow i get my awesome achievements and break 1000G on reach.
i still need to get commander this weekend.

strange, my spartan hasn't updated in a long ass time.

Top Bottom