• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
wwm0nkey said:
Again hopefully we find out Wednesday in the Halo Bulletin more of what the new TU includes.

Halo Bulletins are on Tuesdays and I doubt we'll get all the details at once this upcoming week. Before PAX? For sure, but I don't know about right now.

wwm0nkey

Domino Theory said:
Halo Bulletins are on Tuesdays and I doubt we'll get all the details at once this upcoming week. Before PAX? For sure, but I don't know about right now.
Yep, was just about to correct that actually lol

blamite

One of the little things I want from the TU, that I'm guessing most people here won't care about, is for Commendations to continue to award credits after getting them to silver.

I remember reading that campaign matchmaking was supposed to be the way to keep earning credits, but that seems to have fallen through. I'd be at least a little more motivated to keep playing the campaign if I could keep earning credits.
Tashi0106 said:
Page 343.

50 posts per pages > 100 posts per page
Agreed.

wwm0nkey

blamite said:
One of the little things I want from the TU, that I'm guessing most people here won't care about, is for Commendations to continue to award credits after getting them to silver.

I remember reading that campaign matchmaking was supposed to be the way to keep earning credits, but that seems to have fallen through. I'd be at least a little more motivated to keep playing the campaign if I could keep earning credits.
You know that would actually be a really awesome thing to include in the TU.

Tawpgun

I don't think there's any kind of grenade magnetism. The problem comes with the blast radius, grenade properties, player movement and shield/health system.

The blast radius is big but the further from the epicenter you are, the significantly less damage you take. This seems like a good idea but with a big radius like Reach nades have in conjunction with the health system... bad idea. Reach shields take a LOOOONG time to recharge to full capacity, and if you take the SMALLEST amount of damage, like a sliver of shield from a grenade shockwave, then your shields will stop recharging and you have to wait again. I've gone like 25 seconds at times without being able to recharge my shields. Even if they're 2/3's of the way recharged, if a nade falls at your feet You Are Already Dead.

Then, the health system under it. If you're red health, full shields, and close to a grenade, You Are Already Dead.

The other problem is that grenades, very inconsistently, can chain react with grenades on the ground. At least I'm like 90% sure they do, because nothing else explains the multiple explosions when only 1 or 2 grenades are thrown.

But perhaps the biggest one is player movement and the grenade fuse. The Reach grenades are just as powerful as the CE nades. The difference is in Reach, they have a significantly shorter fuse and you can't escape them once they hit near you thanks to a really stupid inertia system. There's been very mild inertia in Halo 3 also, but Reach takes it to another level. It makes strafing gimped and it prevents you from effectively getting out of the way of grenades.

I've been wondering what the game would play like if grenades acted like Reach melee, in that if you have any shield left, grenades would ONLY take out shields, not touch health. Then a second nade is necessary if you want a nade kill. Grenades in Halo have never really been meant to be used as weapons (besides stickies) They are mainly for flushing people out, sealing off an area temporarily, and most importantly, STRIPPING SHIELDS.

No matter how balanced the grenades may seem to be on paper, and maybe they are and we're overreacting, but most people agree that something about them feels off. They just aren't fun.

blamite said:

Disappointment: I hate how small the payout is for obtaining higher Commendations.

It's my mission to speak like an Elcor from now on. :^)

Ramirez

Can we ship Fyrewulf back to whatever cave he came from?

The frag grenades have a bad habit of actually sticking in your armor, it happened in 3 occasionally, but it happens in Reach all the time, it's why you hear that whirling sound no matter where you move to, heh.

Hey guys, my vacation is going great. How are things in the thr-

nevermind. :p

Won't be posting much this week, I regret missing all that Armor Abilities discussion. ;)

Just as I was losing faith, when all hope seemed lost, something amazing happened. The 30k credit jackpot does exist! I am honestly amazed, I never thought I would get it. That felt good.

Anyways, as people are talking about a TU, I figured I would throw this out there. Would anyone be opposed to level based rank progression per playlist returning? Make it separate from credits, but give you something to work towards when you have all other unlocks in the game. Im not sure if thats possible, but id it is, I would love it.

Also, dont forget about that mystery helmet. I know, .map files, etc. But I honestly dont believe they would tease that for no reason. It is something, you can bet on it. Just maybe not what we are expecting.

Finally, with the new maps, is it possible to add new vehicles to them? If so, Chopper, please? I would die happy.

J-Roderton

Demoncarnotaur said:
Just as I was losing faith, when all hope seemed lost, something amazing happened. The 30k credit jackpot does exist! I am honestly amazed, I never thought I would get it. That felt good.

Anyways, as people are talking about a TU, I figured I would throw this out there. Would anyone be opposed to level based rank progression per playlist returning? Make it separate from credits, but give you something to work towards when you have all other unlocks in the game. Im not sure if thats possible, but id it is, I would love it.

Also, dont forget about that mystery helmet. I know, .map files, etc. But I honestly dont believe they would tease that for no reason. It is something, you can bet on it. Just maybe not what we are expecting.

Finally, with the new maps, is it possible to add new vehicles to them? If so, Chopper, please? I would die happy.

Are you saying that the playlists would allow you to earn a ranks in them like in Halo 3? If so, no, I would not be opposed to that. It gives us a ranking model aside from the Arena.

Not sure I even care about the "mystery helmet" because I pretty much have all the armor and effects that I want. I don't see why they couldn't add any new pieces, but considering they never did that in Halo 3 (aside from Recon after the vidamsters) I don't think they would be adding more. I guess we'll find out.

And yeah, I support Chopper sprees.

Sai-kun

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Is that what we've been doing? The banner from 2010 was by Dani, but it's down and I can't find it locally. The 2009 one was ODST-themed from Dancing Jesus.

I made this last year :lol Had to find the password to my old photobucket account to get it!

bungieday2010.png

Edit: And this is the one I made for Bungie day '09

r9j1pz.png

Jroderton said:
Are you saying that the playlists would allow you to earn a ranks in them like in Halo 3? If so, no, I would not be opposed to that. It gives us a ranking model aside from the Arena.

Not sure I even care about the "mystery helmet" because I pretty much have all the armor and effects that I want. I don't see why they couldn't add any new pieces, but considering they never did that in Halo 3 (aside from Recon after the vidamsters) I don't think they would be adding more. I guess we'll find out.

And yeah, I support Chopper sprees.

Yup, and thats exactly why I would like it. While the arena is a really neat ranking idea, I feel the other playlists need progression also. It would give you something to work towards that isn't very slow moving.

While I agree that the Helmet in question isn't the coolest design ever, I am just curious on how it fits into the picture and what else there may be. I would love to see certain amour perms from H3 or the books/comics/legends etc. I also would just like to see new armory items to unlock. But from my understanding, new armor cannot be added due to it being tied to .map files. But like I said, that helmet is something.

Honestly, the Chopper was one of the vehicles I was looking forward to the most in Reach. I was so sad when the Brute sandbox was cut down so harshly with Reach.

blamite

Hitmonchan107 said:
Disappointment: I hate how small the payout is for obtaining higher Commendations.

It's my mission to speak like an Elcor from now on. :^)
This one approves of your decision.

Hanar FTW

Tawpgun

If Urk or anyone else from Bungle is reading this...

If I may make a suggestion.... Could you guys post the gamertags you will be using for Bungie vs The World? With the flames and nameplate out and about it's going to be impossible to tell who's Bungie unless you guys all don the skull helmets.

Butane123

2nd game of Score Attack to try to finish up some of the dailies/commendations, and I hit the 30,000 Jackpot. I usually never see those (Though this is the third day in a row I've hit it rather easily.)

MrBig

A27 Tawpgun said:
If Urk or anyone else from Bungle is reading this...

If I may make a suggestion.... Could you guys post the gamertags you will be using for Bungie vs The World? With the flames and nameplate out and about it's going to be impossible to tell who's Bungie unless you guys all don the skull helmets.
They said they would, since it's the only way to know you're playing them.

Tawpgun

MrBig said:
They said they would, since it's the only way to know you're playing them.
Sounds good, thanks for the heads up.

As for the banner, make sure to put that 20th anniversary crest (and the official Bungie crest) on it. Perhaps some swag. Some blue flames, perhaps, if possible, the bungie vs world animated banner.

Gotta go out with a bang.

ncsuDuncan said:
Hey guys, my vacation is going great. How are things in the thr-

nevermind. :p

Won't be posting much this week, I regret missing all that Armor Abilities discussion. ;)
I know how hard it is to stay away from GAF on vacations. I have a serious addiction./

Edit: Congrats on the DBO shoutout!

I can't type DBO without thinking of this.

Zoolader

I'm praying they do something to the melee system in the TU. I never got over this game not having melees bleed-through the shields.

Booties

Banned
Alright time for some late night dong festivities. If you're on, stay on. If not, get on. MSG Booties

A Halo:CEA banner would be sweet. Throwbacks are always a good idea.

FyreWulff

GhaleonEB said:
It does exist.

I saw a Super Jackpot once. Mean and pale she was, 16 men to capture 'er it did.

Also, while playing Crashsite in Score Attack, I really wish we could get a Firefight map designed around the Generator Defense gametype. Like how Turf was made with 3 Plots in mind.

A27 Tawpgun said:
big grenade post
I agree with all of this. Grenades in Halo 3 seemed perfect to me.

and kinda on topic, but I played some shadowrun again today, and holy shit you can see why reach the way it is. tons of bloom, the grenades are super powerful and thrown at pretty much the exact same trajectory as in reach, and seems like there's a lot of inertia as well.

it all works well with shadowrun because you get stuff like Teleport but not so much for Reach.

Striker

The problem with Halo 3 'nades were how dead bodies left millions of them on the ground. A casual game of Team Slayer Construct (amazing!) could consist of 20+ grenades lying around the lifts.

Other than that they weren't bad.

The grenades in Reach make little sense.

The grenades are powerful, the blast radius is large, and the denotation timer is short. This is contradictorily combined with slow kill times of weapons, poor movement options, and maps with narrow areas/hallways that scream for grenades to be thrown their way.

wwm0nkey

Speaking of kill times, I hope that the TU results in much quicker kill times. Only thing that really kills the fun of this game for me sometimes.

Booshka

thezerofire said:
I agree with all of this. Grenades in Halo 3 seemed perfect to me.

and kinda on topic, but I played some shadowrun again today, and holy shit you can see why reach the way it is. tons of bloom, the grenades are super powerful and thrown at pretty much the exact same trajectory as in reach, and seems like there's a lot of inertia as well.

it all works well with shadowrun because you get stuff like Teleport but not so much for Reach.
Ya nades are one hit kills in Shadowrun if it's under your feet and you aren't a Troll. But, there are like 5 ways to avoid them at any time. The nades are also easy to see and beep very loudly. The momentum on the movement and strafe is necessary for Teleport to work properly, and it helps balance the movement based Bloom.

Also, crouch down and shoot the rifle very fast, you will notice almost no Bloom on it when crouched, you do have to control recoil though. It is more like the Halo 1 Pistol with its firing rate and accuracy, it also can shoot cross map.

Nades in Reach are OP because of the slow movement speed and sluggishness of Sprint, and the weapons aren't strong enough in comparison to nades and melees, which both can be spammed for easy kills.

wwm0nkey

I mean they did try to put that red flare thing on the grenades...you know the thing you dont even notice at all, the movement speed of Reach does cause a lot of grenade kills though :/

As said before, I always feel like I can't escape from some nades: I hear a nade flying towards me but whatever direction I go, it's always the wrong one and the nade explodes in my face.

FyreWulff said:
3/4 of them are Firefight today, 4th one is campaign.

My Gold account is currently susupended right now (gotta fix some bullshit payment issue) and since I have other plans for today, I won't be playing the game

FyreWulff

lazybones18 said:
My Gold account is currently susupended right now (gotta fix some bullshit payment issue) and since I have other plans for today, I won't be playing the game

Daw.

Anyway, weekly complete. 2 games of Score Attack and Nightfall'd the campaign one. That's #43 in a row for the history books.

FyreWulff said:
Daw.

Anyway, weekly complete. 2 games of Score Attack and Nightfall'd the campaign one. That's #43 in a row for the history books.

Damn, 3 of those challenges can be done pretty much in tandem. Just use the Pistol and go for headshots.

Campaign mission will be easy. Nice weekly. :p

Tawpgun

bobs99 ... said:
Damn, 3 of those challenges can be done pretty much in tandem. Just use the Pistol and go for headshots.

Campaign mission will be easy. Nice weekly. :p
I am not a fan of this weekly. Any weekly that can be completed so easily and worth so little is a weekly wasted....

Top Bottom