• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Just remember EazyB was banned for comparing Shishka to a certain dictator. Thing is Shishka no longer does the playlists cause he ACTUALLY WAS TERRIBLE at it.

I came here years ago now just basically saying "hey you know what...Halo 3 has some terrible playlists" mind you it was blunt and vulgar the way I attack and at first EVERYONE hated me, alotta people agree now though that H3 had some shit playlist management.

Say stuff sucks when it does. Even though a lot of people consider Reach worse than H3 I doubt many people would say the playlist management in Reach is worse than H3. So thats an improvement.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
xxjuicesxx said:
Just remember EazyB was banned for comparing Shishka to a certain dictator. Thing is Shishka no longer does the playlists cause he ACTUALLY WAS TERRIBLE at it.

I came here years ago now just basically saying "hey you know what...Halo 3 has some terrible playlists" mind you it was blunt and vulgar the way I attack and at first EVERYONE hated me, alotta people agree now though that H3 had some shit playlist management.

Say stuff sucks when it does. Even though a lot of people consider Reach worse than H3 I doubt many people would say the playlist management in Reach is worse than H3. So thats an improvement.

I remember agreeing with a lot of what you said but not with how you said back then.

Happy Independence Day America, the UK didn't want your country anyways ;)

kylej

Banned
xxjuicesxx said:

Thanks for the tip, this post has given me the confidence I need to speak my mind.

xxjuicesxx said:
Just fuck off and get on for some Double Team Donging.

Is this an innuendo? It sounds kinda hawt.

Is gaf going to be teaming up on Thursday? I wont be on for as long as I would like but I would love to party up with Gaf for at least a few games on that day.

I can't seem to get my hands on the face value passes from the PAX forums. I just need a Saturday pass. ARGH.

If anyone finds one, let me know. I'd really, really appreciate it.

FyreWulff

xCM9N.jpg

Tawpgun

MrBig said:
The hype for that was unbelievable for such an underwhelmingly empty and terrible map.

Even Hugeass (sic) was better because stuff actually happened
I'm going to have to stop your right there. I had a lot more fun on Coldsnap than Hugeass. I loved how one team got the nuke launching mythos and the other team for the Longsword.

But I was a jet whore and proud. I got ridiculously good in those things and the only thing I hated about coldsnap were the bitch snipers that camped out on top of mountains. But eventually I even learned to take them down. I'd go hunting for snipers constantly. It was a lot of shenanigans really. Some of the best fun I ever had in a Halo game.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Yo Juices you have the Black Magic Intensity Pro right? Can I use that with VGA or is that HDMI only? Because I play on a monitor that only take VGA and my Xbox doesn't even have an HDMI port

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
It only does component, composite and HDMI. No easy way to capture VGA. It'd be cheaper to buy a monitor with HDMI or component.

Tawpgun

Tashi0106 said:
Yo Juices you have the Black Magic Intensity Pro right? Can I use that with VGA or is that HDMI only? Because I play on a monitor that only take VGA and my Xbox doesn't even have an HDMI port

Gotta get dat HD PVR. It's sort of costly at $200 but you get your money's worth. Very easy to use, I use it with component cables though. Or whatever the RGB ones are.

But like Ellis said, there's no common way of capturing through VGA.

Tashi

Damn. Hmmmm. I still haven't purchased a monitor for my PC that I'm going to build so maybe I can buy another 22 inch monitor that connects through HDMI and just hook up my soon-to-be-built PC to my current VGA monitor that I'm playing my 360 on. And then I guess throw on the optical cable to my Astro Mixamp for audio to my headset. Hmmmmmmmm *strokes beard* Hmmmmmmm

edit: No actually I couldn't do that because my Xbox is old and doesn't have an HDMI port. Fuck!

Ken

Tashi0106 said:
Damn. Hmmmm. I still haven't purchased a monitor for my PC that I'm going to build so maybe I can buy another 22 inch monitor that connects through HDMI and just hook up my soon-to-be-built PC to my current VGA monitor that I'm playing my 360 on. And then I guess throw on the optical cable to my Astro Mixamp for audio to my headset. Hmmmmmmmm *strokes beard* Hmmmmmmm

edit: No actually I couldn't do that because my Xbox is old and doesn't have an HDMI port. Fuck!
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002453K5G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Evo monitor.

Speakers are kind of terrible but you have headphones.

Might as well grab a 360S if you're upgrading everything.

Tashi

Ken said:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002453K5G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Evo monitor.

Speakers are kind of terrible but you have headphones.

Might as well grab a 360S if you're upgrading everything

I think MLG has switched to that monitor too actually.

This is what I was thinking(bolded). They're only 300 and I have 40mb left on my Launch 20gb HDD. :lol We'll see once I build this PC. I probably won't be able to hook everything up until early August.

David, didn't you say the new Sparkast was being held until the middle of July? I couldn't find the post.

I want to know more about Anniversary.

Tashi0106 said:

Well any true setup has two monitors. That way you can browse GAF while gaming on the right monitor. Just make sure your new one has HDMI.

I'd suggest a weird setup like VGA > HDMI adapter, plug that into an HDMI mirror unit. Then plug one HDMI to your monitor and to your computer's BlackMagic slot. Unless you don't get a new monitor then I imagine ANOTHER HDMI > VGA adapter would work to get the second HDMI channel plugged into your ancient monitor.

Willeth

Tashi0106 said:

Solution - make sure your new monitor supports two inputs. I have my 360 going into VGA and my PC going into DVI on the same screen and it works great.

EDIT: My actual solution is a bit more complex. I have a 360 with VGA and a PS3 with component hooked into a switch that feeds into the VGA port of my monitor. The audio from each then goes into an audio switch, as does my PC audio line. The output from that goes into another switch, that can swap between my PC's line-in (for recording game/message audio) and my speakers.

I have, on rare occasion, piped my PC's audio into my line-in and had it play through. That's not fun.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Hitmonchan107 said:
David, didn't you say the new Sparkast was being held until the middle of July? I couldn't find the post.

I want to know more about Anniversary.
Yep, should be out before SDCC.

Tashi

Well yea I plan on a dual monitor set up. Right now I play on my 22inch monitor and I have a shitty old laptop that I use for streaming and everything else.

So I think this is how I'm going to do this.

(1)Use current VGA only monitor for my new PC that I'm going to build.

(2)Buy a new monitor that has supports HDMI.

(3)Buy Xbox 360 Slim

(4)Buy Black Magic Intensity Pro

(5)Connect Slim 360 to new HDMI ready monitor with Black Magic Intensity Pro connected all sexy like

(6)Stream and capture in HD

7)Rule the world

Sound good?

edit: My current mess is a setup because I have so many cables and splitter and converters all hooked up. It's a fucking shitty setup. I want to minimize cables and adapters and all that shit.

MrBig

Almost a year into reach an people still fall for my holograms -- to a ridiculous degree.

Also if you're the last person left in-game on your team and the score is 35-8, and you don't quit, I hate you.

Tashi0106 said:
Well yea I plan on a dual monitor set up. Right now I play on my 22inch monitor and I have a shitty old laptop that I use for streaming and everything else.

So I think this is how I'm going to do this.

(1)Use current VGA only monitor for my new PC that I'm going to build.

(2)Buy a new monitor that has supports HDMI.

(3)Buy Xbox 360 Slim

(4)Buy Black Magic Intensity Pro

(5)Connect Slim 360 to new HDMI ready monitor with Black Magic Intensity Pro connected all sexy like

(6)Stream and capture in HD

7)Rule the world

Sound good?

edit: My current mess is a setup because I have so many cables and splitter and converters all hooked up. It's a fucking shitty setup. I want to minimize cables and adapters and all that shit.

Yes getting a new Xbox with the HDMI would be the best wasn't sure of your budget.

That would be the easiest solution you have.

I had a problem I couldn't solve near 5 Theres an HDMI input and output on the BMI card but when I turned my Xbox on my monitor I had attached through the BMI card wouldn't get the signal and would shut off. So I ended up with that Splitter to put one HDMI to the card and one straight to the monitor. If you can get it to work though thats one less cable and one less splitter(with a power cord). I actually blame my monitor for just shutting off the second it doesn't get one friggen signal, such a stupid thing but also some of my settings may have been off. BMI settings are very picky, you'll see, still it gives you the best HD picture.

Tawpgun

Tashi0106 said:

This is what I was thinking(bolded). They're only 300 and I have 40mb left on my Launch 20gb HDD. :lol We'll see once I build this PC. I probably won't be able to hook everything up until early August.

xf1D0.png

I'm in the same situation.

xxjuicesxx said:
Well any true setup has two monitors. That way you can browse GAF while gaming on the right monitor. Just make sure your new one has HDMI.

ZqhQu.png

Feast your eyes on my glorious 15 inch TV.

Havok

1. Set matchmaking parameters to close skill.
2. Get matched with a team of all primary account warrant officers.
3. ???
4. Dong.

(5. Wonder if its bungie saying I have no skill)

MrBig said:
Almost a year into reach an people still fall for my holograms -- to a ridiculous degree.

Also if you're the last person left in-game on your team and the score is 35-8, and you don't quit, I hate you.
I'm part of the problem, I never quit when my entire team leaves me. I alternate between trolling and actually trying to fight back, but I don't actually hide. :lol

Tashi0106 said:

Yeah for the past few months, I've had to delete things off my hard drive whenever I DL something new, so I recently upgraded to a 360S. Thing is hawt!

MrBig

Barrow Roll said:
Like each individual pixel on a 1080p screen? You must have the eyes of a hawk. How close do you normally sit to your screen?
About 2 meters. I just got glasses for the first time a little while ago and it's pretty much like resizing something down using bicubic sharper in photoshop when I'm in a room.

Tawpgun

Big TV's also have some lag associated with them, in addition to having to do more work to see whats on screen. This is why MLG goes with the 25 or whatever inch screens. I would never want to game on anything bigger than what MrBig posted.

Tashi

I'll post new pics in a month when I build my PC and get a 2nd monitor.

From left to right:

Guitar Capo
A Class of Kings
30GB Zune
TV Remote
FiOs Router
Shitty PC speakers
Astro Mixamp
Wooden coaster
Xbox 360 arcade
Kodak Rechargeable batteries
Acer 22inch monitor
Bunch of guitar picks
Sennheiser PC 350
4.5 year old HP laptop. Dual core, 1.66ghz, 2gb ram. Windows XP SICK RIG!
Below: Mass of cables!

W4SVn.jpg

Don't try to copy this setup, it won't make you as good as I am in Halo ;)

A27 Tawpgun said:
Big TV's also have some lag associated with them, in addition to having to do more work to see whats on screen. This is why MLG goes with the 25 or whatever inch screens. I would never want to game on anything bigger than what MrBig posted.
This is most commonly the case but you can get some larger, entry level HDTVs without all the bells and whistles that have virtually unnoticeable input lag. I made sure of this when I bought my TV. I did a ton of research on the AVS Forums and even ended up just bringing my Xbox to the Best Buy. I just asked if I could test it for like 10-15 minutes on the floor model after tweaking the settings and they didn't have a problem with it. Hell, if I'm interested in plunking down a few hundred dollars then they better not a have a problem with it. Tested Halo 3, Gears 2, CoD4 and if there was any input lag, then I didn't notice and haven't noticed since owning it for about a year and a half now. I'm very sensitive to input lag and I generally tend to notice it immediately so when I play 60fps games that require much faster and more complex inputs than Halo on it without having to "adjust", I'm pretty confident with my TV. I ended up settling with an LG 42" LH30 LCD 1080p display. It's by no means a flagship model, but it does the job and, fuck, it looks great to me.

That said, my gaming setup is more comfortable than it is efficient. I game on my bed without any sort of surround sound or headphones. Just TV speakers. I sit about 3 meters/10 feet away which is a bit farther than I'd like but it's the most comfortable setup I could get out of my room. I'll take a snap shot when I get home from work.

I don't have pics just yet (at work) - but my setup is huge.

46inch Sony Bravia, black 360 elite, PS3, on a Sony 7.1 (7.2? There are two subwoofers) surround sound setup.

It's awesome fun, but I'm noticing that I can play Halo better on my bedroom setup, 5.1 surround sound + 40inch Sony Bravia. I think screen size definitely messes with some elements of shooters. Most notably, in Halo close quarters combat. Things get too frantic and I get lost.

Edit: I've turned off motion flow and that sort of shit to prevent lag of any kind. However having a friend come over who regularly plays on a 32inch screen - he hates my setup due to the screen size. Says it's too hard to snipe etc. I'll happily use that as my excuse for my waning sniping skills.

That makes two people here with a Bravia, and one with an LG LH30.

I'm in the market for an HDTV as my roommate is taking his when he moves. (It's a Sharp Aquos 40" 40E67UN.)

Any other suggestions?

Hitmonchan107 said:
That makes two people here with a Bravia, and one with an LG LH30.

I'm in the market for an HDTV as my roommate is taking his when he moves. (It's a Sharp Aquos 40" 40E67UN.)

Any other suggestions?
I had two samsung LCD's prior to the Bravia's and have a few friends with Samsung's - and I'd keep away. I had some issues and had to claim on warranty, and the remotes/settings/menus are awful. That said, once you adjust the settings the picture is as nice as you'd expect.

Top Bottom