• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Ken

Hitmonchan107 said:
That makes two people here with a Bravia, and one with an LG LH30.

I'm in the market for an HDTV as my roommate is taking his when he moves. (It's a Sharp Aquos 40" 40E67UN.)

Any other suggestions?
Something bigger than 40'' of course.

MrBig

Ken said:
Something bigger than 40'' of course.
I wouldn't recommend anything bigger than the 30-40 range for gaming if you are sitting at a respectable distance from it. Then you'd have to move you eyes or even your head to see everything you need to see. I used to have to deal with that, at 52", and am much happier at 32".

O D I N

IMAG0154.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality picture.

Lack of a setup, really. I have my turtlebeach headset (for gaming when the wife is asleep), and the tv was free (Can't complain about free. Though it has component inputs, they don't work. >_> No HDMI either).

Still. Free. But old. I'd guess it's probably about 10 ish years old. I can't wait for a new one (one day).

Is that a Sony Trinitron? Looks like my old CRT right down to the stand it's on. As far as tube TVs go, I was very happy with the picture quality on it. It even has a widescreen setting. Shame about the not working component inputs.

Louis Wu

Hit the credit limit (first time ever for me)... no jackpot. Whee!

On the plus side, in a couple of dozen games with randoms, I didn't have one bad game. (I mean, I had games where I played badly... and games where we lost... but no BAD games.)

Folks who were friendly... folks who played pretty well... folks who made the game FUN. Multiplayer, Firefight - didn't matter. Just worked.

At one point, we had a group of four together for 5 or 6 games - one didn't even have a mic. But we STILL worked together as a team.

So it happens. ;)

Tawpgun

Louis Wu said:

On the plus side, in a couple of dozen games with randoms, I didn't have one bad game. (I mean, I had games where I played badly... and games where we lost... but no BAD games.)

Folks who were friendly... folks who played pretty well... folks who made the game FUN. Multiplayer, Firefight - didn't matter. Just worked.

At one point, we had a group of four together for 5 or 6 games - one didn't even have a mic. But we STILL worked together as a team.

So it happens. ;)

..I'm not sure what game you were playing but it sure wasn't Halo :p

J-Roderton

Finally hit that big ass jackpot. That and getting 2 more of my commendations to gold and doing every challenge today, I hit general. Feels good man.

O D I N

Barrow Roll said:
Is that a Sony Trinitron? Looks like my old CRT right down to the stand it's on. As far as tube TVs go, I was very happy with the picture quality on it. It even has a widescreen setting. Shame about the not working component inputs.

Not sure if it's a Trinitron or not. I can look into it more later. I got the tv for free for being able to take it down two flights of stairs. Didn't bother to ask what kind it was. As for setting up widescreen, I'd be interested in this, provided it doesn't ruin things for me (Xbox is displayed in FS at the moment, widescreen doesn't work well).

Yeah, I'm disappointed about those component inputs. :( Ah well. I told my wife our next tv must be at least 36-42+ inches and have HDMI. Then, I'll be happy.

Louis Wu said:

So it happens. ;)
And yet you STILL won't play haven't played a few rounds with me. ;^p

Sounds like a blast.

My frustration with the competitive multiplayer fades when I play a few rounds of Firefight.
Thanks, LakeyB!
I played Sniper Attack on Overlook earlier and had a ball.

I haven't tried Firefight Doubles yet. I might do that tomorrow. Any takers?

MrBig

Hitmonchan107 said:
I haven't tried Firefight Doubles yet. I might do that tomorrow. Any takers?
sure, I havent either

Is there going to a big gaf party to go into mm with on Bungie day?

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Hey guys first day here, play reach everyday pretty much with a couple buddies of mine, hopefully I can get into some customs here one day!

Anyways heres the junior questionnaire

Highest Halo 3 level and which playlist.

Didn't play halo 3 much my internet was shit at the time =/

AR or BR?

Real question? BR

Favorite multiplayer map from Halo 2 and 3 (one of each).

Zanzibar (hard to pick a favourite from H2 soo many good ones) and Guardian from H3

Do you prefer BTB or MLG?

BTB actually

Competitive multiplayer or Firefight?

Competitive multiplayer, I actually have no interest in firefight =/

Games completed on Legendary.

Everyone :)

Are you EazyB?

:lol nope dont know who that is

Favorite Campaign missions (all games).

Truth and Reconciliation H1, Delta Halo H2, The Storm H3, Tip of the Spear Halo Reach

Favorite Reach playlists.

Team objectives but no one plays it :(

Size of frankie erotica folder (in megabytes).

over 9000?

Opinion on reticule bloom.

Don't mind it, took some time to get used to.

Opinion on Armor Abilities and the one you favor.

DIE ARMOR LOCK DIE!!!!! I use sprint 90% of the time

Why are you a Halo fan?

Master Chief <3 it was my first big console game, amazing story + gameplay

Favorite Halogaffer, and least favorite. (optional)

Don't know any of you that well besides Ghaleon from lurking :/

Now feel free to introduce yourself and/or share anything you want so we get to know you better, we'd love to read it. (optional)

Like everyone else here love playing some halo with some buddies, and love the halo-gaf community

Ramirez

HiredN00bs said:
I'd take him any day over you and your ilk.

Thank you.

Hydranockz said:
Good to see TJ sticking together in times of idiocy :p How's that host bloom treating ye? :lol

Welcome to the TJ clan Thermight! He didn't even know...

Out of curiosity what is HiredN00bs known for? I have heard the name before but dont know why.

I thought he was a Halo community vet, how could you not know? He is a Forerunner in Reach, so maybe he's known for that.

Trasher

Thermite said:
DAT HALO COMMUNITY VETERAN STATUS
How do I get in on this shit?!?!

Oh and Therms, we will be sending some Microsoft points your way for the gamer tag change.]

Ramirez said:
Hydra has never been the smartest poster around here lol.

O D I N said:
Not sure if it's a Trinitron or not. I can look into it more later. I got the tv for free for being able to take it down two flights of stairs. Didn't bother to ask what kind it was. As for setting up widescreen, I'd be interested in this, provided it doesn't ruin things for me (Xbox is displayed in FS at the moment, widescreen doesn't work well).
In the top left corner, what does the text say? If it's a Trinitron then I can tell you how to setup widescreen on it.

Here's my setup. Sorry for the poor lighting and image quality, it was taken with my phone camera. My PC is to the right of my bed off screen but I generally browse GAF on my iPhone while I'm playing.
DlIoE.jpg

Ramirez

To whoever asked about playing for credits the other day, do you honestly think people would stress out to get these challenges done if credits weren't attached to them?

feel

I'll be honest with you all, every cR related post hurts me a little bit on the inside. Back in the day people used to just enjoy Halo...

Trasher said:
Oh and Therms, we will be sending some Microsoft points your way for the gamer tag change.
He can use the opportunity for a fungineer homage too. TJeremight is not taken.

Striker

For EXP and cR, agreed. If the game was simply ranks (for ranked) that's all you need. Unranked playlists that gave you nothing but the experience for the maps and gametypes.

Booshka

Letters said:
I'll be honest with you all, every cR related post hurts me a little bit on the inside. Back in the day people used to just enjoy Halo...
In Halo CE; people have been playing Halo for rank and progression ever since Halo 2 introduced ranks into Halo MP. Halo 3 stepped it up from there with Armor unlocks and overall experience ranking along with numbered TrueSkill ranks. Reach just took it to the next logical level
AKA CoD
, it's a sad state of MP gaming in general, but Reach isn't an anomaly.

PNut

Banned
Ramirez said:
To whoever asked about playing for credits the other day, do you honestly think people would stress out to get these challenges done if credits weren't attached to them?

Well I didn't but the credit system is zero fun for me. I could give two shits about dressing up my player with armor or effects. I remember playing Halo 3 for several months in and someone told my I could change my armor. Meh, I could care less and I'm sure I'm in the minority.

I hope 343i doesn't push this fetish for dressing up your doll in Halo 4. But the way things are looking, with the whole "trilogy" talk, I foresee that shit will be even worse than AA's and Armor upgrades in Halo Reach.

Just go back to EXP and numbered ranks. There's no reason why that would not work. If 343 kept this and the game still sucked they would still be better off if they tried recreate the entire franchise.

PNut

Banned
stephen08 said:
HiredN00bs was one of the final Halo 2 players.

Yeah, he's even got a good article about it in the "official" Halo magazine. That's where I recognize the name anyway.

feel

Booshka said:
In Halo CE; people have been playing Halo for rank and progression ever since Halo 2 introduced ranks into Halo MP. Halo 3 stepped it up from there with Armor unlocks and overall experience ranking along with numbered TrueSkill ranks. Reach just took it to the next logical level
AKA CoD
, it's a sad state of MP gaming in general, but Reach isn't an anomaly.
Progression and rank that reward good performance are very nice. I probably should've worded that differently, I meant just tons people being ok with suffering through all kinds of shit just because some bar is filling based on play time and arbitrary jackpots.

Striker

PNut said:
Just go back to EXP and numbered ranks. There's no reason why that would not work. If 343 kept this and the game still sucked they would still be better off if they tried recreate the entire franchise.
What's the point of EXP? OMG Becky he's a 50 in unranked Slayer, you should totally go out with him!

EXP and cR are just artificial flavors for people to have. They have no substance other than just to be there. Ranks are fine if properly balanced and for appropriate playlists, otherwise that's all you need. Unranked stuff needs nothing.

Traveling tomorrow (I travel weekly, hence the cord hanging out, I find it's easier to just carry a spare cable and lug the power brick around), but here's my setup. The receiver and blu-ray player and guitar hero guitars are the to left.

DSC_0467.jpg

GhaleonEB

Louis Wu said:
I've hit the credit cap two of the four days so far. And today, I'm just a few thousand away and since the jackpot counts against the cap, it wouldn't count even if I did get it.

I know this is meant to be some sort of fun bonus, but in reality it's just another source of frustration. Like nearly everything else about the way cR are implemented in Reach, the execution leaves much to be desired.

stephen08 said:
There are quite a few posters here who are just absolutely unpleasant towards you if you do not agree with their point of view. It's a real shame because most posters here seem to be great people with interesting insights.
Same group of people have been like that for years. Ignore them (or put them on ignore) and the thread is easier and more interesting.

When people take to attacking the posts of others because they are new to the forum rather than on the merits, you can safely assume they don't have anything positive to contribute.

Ramirez said:
Well, duh.
Yeah, because Thermight was the guy that complained about how shit bloom was when he didn't have host... only to find out that host is a client side calculation....

Oh wait a minute... that was good ole TJ Ram. He didn't even know.

But you're right guys, clearly you must be smarter than me and so many posters here. I mean, you guys gots all jelly at fyre and hirednoobs because they were making better contributions than ye. Ye clearly were far smarter than the rest of us and correctly determined this was because they were juniors. Yeah, I could never be that smart...

stephen08

There are quite a few posters here who are just absolutely unpleasant towards you if you do not agree with their point of view. It's a real shame because most posters here seem to be great people with interesting insights.

Nutter

FyreWulff said:
Oh god I'm starting to get flashbacks
ZOMG, Halo VET Confirmed!

Hydranockz said:
Yeah, because Thermight was the guy that complained about how shit bloom was when he didn't have host... only to find out that host is a client side calculation....

But you're right guys, clearly you must be smarter than me and so many posters here. I mean, you guys gots all jelly at fyre and hirednoobs because they were making better contributions than ye. Ye clearly were far smarter than the rest of us and correctly determined this was because they were juniors. Yeah, I could never be that smart...

internet_serious_business_framed.jpg

Butane123

I've never hit the cap, I just don't play enough in a a day to do so, (I bet if I forged less...), but at this point it does rather seem kind of pointless to keep in there.

The one thing that always bothered me about the credit system is that the only way to unlock new items is by increasing you rank. I think it would of been rather cool to have certain items in the armory unlock after a certain task was completed. Solo Legendary? Unique helmet. 10 weeklies? New armor effect.

It would just be a little bit extra incentive to do so once someone hit that point where the points awarded for them are outweighed by playing a single game. I'm there, but I like seeing how many I've completed of each in my record more than what is awarded to me.

Major Williams said:
Guys let's get back on topic and start talking about my setup and my golden retriever.
I'll have to get a picture of my border collie in here!

Thermite

Ramirez said:

Trasher said:
Oh and Therms, we will be sending some Microsoft points your way for the gamer tag change.

906f76.gif

I'd like to take this time to thank my mutha and my fathah (without 'em I wouldn't be here today), the Astro A40s for allowing me to hear all things 100% clearer when vidya gaming, Gunnar Optiks for really giving me the edge to finally see in TRUE HD when playing Halo and posting on GAF, and my bieber-style haircut for finally paying off. God bless GAF, God bless Team Jesus, and GOD BLESS... GOD!

Voltron64

Hydranockz said:

6942nl.jpg

FyreWulff

Nutter said:
ZOMG, Halo VET Confirmed!

Have I ever told you how blue Halo 2 is?

It's pretty goddamned blue

Alternate answer:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/fyrewulff/hatersflaming.jpg

Alternate alternate answer:

I don't have a recent pic of my setup, but there's my mini-hydra sitting on my desk for the Bungiedayathon '10:

minihydra.jpg

Left computer (Dual core athlon) was for controlling the stream and chat room and interacting with the world during the marathon. Right computer (Quad core) handled capturing from the Xbox and was the one I used to play Oni with over the stream, since the other computer couldn't handle playing Oni and capturing it for the stream at the same time.

Yeah, I still have CRTs. I play the 360 on a 19" ThinkVision at 1280x1024. I'm holding off until I actually move to replace the suckers with LCDs for various reasons. Downside being that they take up a good 3/4ths of the desk currently.

Finally got around to getting a peasant iPhone picture of my setup.

GWFVn.jpg

46" Bravia and a Sony 7.2 Surround sound setup (surround speakers are mounted around the room). Absolutely epic setup for watching Blu-Ray's and playing big budget games - but kind of shitty for playing shooters online.

Also, above the right subwoofer is my Sega MegaDrive in a box. Sonic and Decap Attack will never stop being awesome.

I love how Bungie work.

Almost never quit out of a Reach game, but i've never had the credit jackpot.

Disconnected out of three games on Sunday due to my internet connection dropping momentarily, so i gave up. First game i played yesterday i hit the jackpot 30K.

GG Bungie, GG.

king picollo said:
I love how Bungie work.

Disconnected out of three games on Sunday due to my internet connection dropping momentarily, so i gave up. First game i played yesterday i hit the jackpot 30K.

GG Bungie, GG.

Well look who it is. Glad to see your account has been approved KP. Welcome to HaloGAF.

FyreWulff

king picollo said:
I love how Bungie work.

GG Bungie, GG.

I've actually gotten a jackpot from being lagged out of a game about 4 times now, or in the game right after lagging out.

My theory is that the jackpots are set up in such a way that they're extremely low for frequent quitters, but if you never quit or lag out, they don't show up as much either. This would be to counter people going into a game and helping the other team finish the game really fast in hopes of boosting to the jackpot each day.

So long stretch of no quitting would trigger this anti-boost algorithm. Maybe. Just a theory I have, I can't confirm it, but I hardly ever quit either (99.99% of them are internet/power outage), and it seems my jackpots come in right after a disconnect or the rare quit.

FyreWulff said:
My theory is that the jackpots are set up in such a way that they're extremely low for frequent quitters, but if you never quit or lag out, they don't show up as much either. This would be to counter people going into a game and helping the other team finish the game really fast in hopes of boosting to the jackpot each day.

So long stretch of no quitting would trigger this anti-boost algorithm. Maybe. Just a theory I have, I can't confirm it, but I hardly ever quit either (99.99% of them are internet/power outage), and it seems my jackpots come in right after a disconnect or the rare quit.
I.. if that was the case I'd hope it's a bug/unintentional system.

Yea I think I remember telling people to quit occasionally awhile back because I appeared to get frequent jackpots after a good 25 games of no quitting but they stop after awhile and if you drop a few they start back up again. I think its just how it was programmed in.

Some nice setups but none really compare to mine yet.

Kujo

My last 2 30k jackpots came the game after being disconnected from a match. Before that I played 2 hours without any jackpots. So yeah, if you want the jackpots, quit lol

Was playing zombies and I was kinda having fun (sorry) until Sword Base got voted for 6 games in a row, hate that map now.

Top Bottom