• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

MrBig

So it looks like Bungie's plan for world domination is nearing completion.

On Thursday - Bungie Day - they will be swapping out Nasa's astronauts for their own men, who will then swap the shuttle's cargo for that of the pieces for their orbital slingshot. On friday they will be launched as 777th men to be launched into space by the shuttles where they can begin construction to slingshot BKs to the sun.

The 777 bit is actually true.

Risen

So I've been lurking the forums for over a year... I know, strange right? Then out of the blue and to my complete amazement, over the holiday weekend I received the long awaited - "Account Activated". Whew that was some kind of wait! It's like recon armor back in the day... ask for it and you'll never ever ever get it. Ahhh the benefits of patience (or forgetfulness).

Since I saw another "new guy" post up, I thought I'd follow suit with the "questionnaire":

Highest Halo 3 level and which playlist.

MLG - 50
TS - 50

AR or BR or CE Pistol? (fixed)

CE Pistol

Favorite multiplayer map from Halo 2 and 3 (one of each).

H2 - Midship
H3 - The Pit

Do you prefer BTB or MLG?

MLG

Competitive multiplayer or Firefight?

Competitive

Games completed on Legendary.

All

Are you EazyB?

Nope

Favorite Campaign missions (all games).

CE - 343 Guilty Spark
H2 - High Charity
H3 - Sierra 117
Reach - Lone Wolf

Favorite Reach playlists.

Arena
MLG
Team Objective
Team Classic

Size of frankie erotica folder (in megabytes).

Deleted when he left Bungie

Opinion on reticule bloom.

LAN - it works to increase skill gap in a one shot weapon like the DMR (although seeing someone get a headshot when aiming at the crotch hurts my feelings unless it's an intended play on words).
Online where 90% of games are actually played - worst decision ever and only increases connection gap

Opinion on Armor Abilities and the one you favor.

Sprint and Evade should be default with all others being pickups based on the map.

Why are you a Halo fan?

The multiplayer started it - LAN parties and then XBL slapping friends around in a virtual world made me buy more than one Xbox.

Now feel free to introduce yourself and/or share anything you want so we get to know you better, we'd love to read it. (optional)

I've been a gamer since the Atari, and am primarily a competitive player. My sweet spot in Halo releases was H2 (though I appreciated the requirements of moving as a team in H3 and was a better player for it). Reach is a bit of a miss for me. I keep coming back to it month to month, but long for several key changes that would make the game much more enjoyable.

I play on a high latency connection which makes me rage from time to time. I'm married with a three kiddos who all recently found they LOVE Halo. I also play Black Ops and will likely split time in Gears 3, MW3, and Battlefield 3 at the end of the year.

There are a few familiar faces here - Ramirez was once on my FL in H3 (though I'm not sure he'd remember), Hitmonchan I recently met through the Community Tournament he helped orchastrate. I've played with a few others here or there through other friends over the years.

Thanks to the Neogaf powers that be that hit the Activate button! I look forward to hanging out!

cory021

Neo Member
I've already posted here a few times, but I haven't taken the Junior test (taken from Red_man's post)

I had a 41 in Lone Wolves

AR or BR?

Obviously, I would pick a BR is a gunfight, but I think AR fights are more fun.

In Halo 2, Waterworks, and in Halo 3 Rat's Nest.

BTB. I love the sense of organized chaos that occurs in with 16 players

Well, I enjoy both of them, but my service record says I play multiplayer more.

Halo 2, Halo 3, ODST, and Reach.

Are you EazyB?

I don't think so o_O

CE: Truth and Reconciliation, H2: Metropolis, H3: The Covenant, Halo Wars: Beachhead, ODST: Uplift Reserve, Reach: Long Night of Solace

Premium Battle, Big Team Battle, Firefight Limited

If we round down, then I guess it's 0 megabytes

I don't think it's that bad. Honestly, I think it works well with every weapon except the DMR. It should have been used primarily for automatic weapons like the AR, while precision weapons like the DMR should have had their reticule magnetism and auto-aim decreased instead of their accuracy.

I wish they didn't have as huge of an impact on gameplay as they do, but I really don't mind them too much.

Why are you a Halo fan?

I got Halo 3 around the same time I got an Xbox. I played the campaign, didn't really know what was going on, but then I got Xbox Live and I thought the multiplayer was amazing. I really started to get into Forge.

Favorite Halogaffer, and least favorite. (optional)

I don't really know any one here besides Hey You.

Now feel free to introduce yourself and/or share anything you want so we get to know you better, we'd love to read it. (optional)

I already posted an introduction a while ago. I would find it, but I can't search my posts yet...

Maybe it's just the onset of OCD, but when filling out the questionnaires, could you guys bold the questions please?

That's the ticket, cory021. And every time I see your avatar, I have to listen to "Everlong."

Risen said:
Only because you said please...
Haha! Thanks.

GhaleonEB

Just had a rather amusing freak accident on Courtyard. I got to play a Doubles game solo, as my partner quit out at the start (yay!).

During the second boss wave, I'm down on the right hand side, sniping Grunts as they crest over the hill. The Ranger Elite on the right in this shot is heading toward me, but a box is in his way.

reach_20119719_Full.jpg

My sniper shot ricochets off a crate and hits him just as he jumps over it.

reach_20119716_Full.jpg

Result: dude got some serious air.

reach_20119695_Full.jpg

So much air that he launches himself straight out of the map and over to where we toast Wraiths on the ONI campaign mission. Which caused me no small amount of confusion when he was the last enemy left in the round.

Video here. The bellow he lets out on the way over had me laughing, hard.

Risen

Hitmonchan107 said:
Maybe it's just the onset of OCD, but when filling out the questionnaires, could you guys bold the questions please?

That's the ticket, cory021. And every time I see your avatar, I have to listen to "Everlong."

Only because you said please...

cory021

Neo Member
Wait, so how the Elite die?

Anyways, what's your guy's opinion on Generator Defense? I think it's a lot more fun than standard Firefight. Fighting against the Covenant while at the same time trying to defend 3 generators is way more exciting than the standard slayer-firefight (IMO, of course).

GhaleonEB said:
Just had a rather amusing freak accident on Courtyard. I got to play a Doubles game solo, as my partner quit out at the start (yay!).

During the second boss wave, I'm down on the right hand side, sniping Grunts as they crest over the hill. The Ranger Elite on the right in this shot is heading toward me, but a box is in his way.

reach_20119719_Full.jpg

reach_20119716_Full.jpg

reach_20119695_Full.jpg

So much air that he launches himself straight out of the map and over to where we toast Wraiths on the ONI campaign mission. Which caused me no small amount of confusion when he was the last enemy left in the round.

Video here. The bellow he lets out on the way over had me laughing, hard.

That smooth landing was classic :) I also love how the elite just stands there as if he's in absolute shock over what just took place lol Moments like that always remind me why I still hold Halo in such high regard (despite its many flaws) to this day. Good stuff.

MrBig

quoting image stories....
cory021 said:

Anyways, what's your guy's opinion on Generator Defense? I think it's a lot more fun than standard Firefight. Fighting against the Covenant while at the same time trying to defend 3 generators is way more exciting than the standard slayer-firefight (IMO, of course).
GD seems like a dirty job to me. Pretty much all they did was define an object as a biped and put it on the Human side with a high target priority. If it was fully fleshed out and the AI reacted to it properly, and maps were actually built with it in mind, it could have been good.

Just realized I hadn't done this before.

42 in Lone Wolves, though I had a 40 or a 41 in Team Snipers.

AR or BR?
I love the BR. I have my fingers crossed for the BMR that was posted a few pages ago.

Halo 2: Lockout. Lockout was my bitch, and she was grateful for it.
Halo 3: Valhalla. Playing Team Snipers on that map ranks among the greatest moments of my Halo multiplayer career.

I rarely play MLG, but Big Team Battle is such a mess in Reach that I've got to give it to MLG. But BTB in Halo 3 was premium.

I'll take ODST's Firefight over competitive multiplayer any day of the week.

Halo: CE, Halo 2, Halo 3, ODST and Reach. (Hey cory021, the Oxford comma is dead!)

Are you EazyB?
Sometimes, when the mood strikes, I play a little Firefight. And when I do, on my shoulder sits a tiny bird, whose shrill voice squawks the high praises of the mode.

"It's so relaxing," it tells me. "It's like a shimmering lake of calm."

CE: Two Betrayals
H2: Regret
H3: The Ark
Halo Wars: Escape
ODST: ONI Alpha Site/Coastal Highway
Reach: Exodus/Tip of the Spear

Team Snipers, Premium Battle, Flagstravaganza, Team Objective, Squad Slayer

I prefer my urk pr0nz.

Not a fan of it in multiplayer. Love it in Campaign/Firefight.

I wish they were exactly like Duncan described in his article. And I love the jet pack. So good.

Why are you a Halo fan?
I wrote about this for the Age of Gratitude.

Favorite Halogaffer, and least favorite. (optional)
I don't have a "favorite" HaloGAFer, just ones I've gotten closer to than others. During the Halo Community Tournament, Duncan helped me out so much. He's seriously one of the most generous people I've been introduced to. And Tunavi is usually the one who hears most of my Reach bitching.

But I appreciate nearly everyone's comments. Some of you are hilariously devious trollers, and despite the hard time you give people, I can't help but laugh.

I'd rather not feed my ego.

GhaleonEB

cory021 said:

The Elite just despawned after a couple minutes, right when I was about to get a bead on him. :(

Generator Defense is a nice change of pace, but it highlights the limitations that are built into Firefight. Namely:

1) Cannot place the generators in better locations.

2) Cannot configure the generator traits: health, how long they lock, how long the cool down is.

3) Firefight maps were not designed for Firefight, and it really, REALLY shows in Generator Defense.

It's a concept I really wish was built out a bit more. I like it (and Crashsite in Score Attack) because it's the only game type where the enemy does not hold back, but rather swarms to the targets. It makes for a much harder, hectic and more interesting game than the default Firefight.

Naturally, no one ever votes for it, and when they do, they don't know how to play it. (Except for that one game on Unearthed, holy shit.)

GhaleonEB said:

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p172/ghaleoneb/Reach%20Screens/reach_20119719_Full.jpg[/IM

[IMG]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p172/ghaleoneb/Reach%20Screens/reach_20119716_Full.jpg[/IM

[IMG]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p172/ghaleoneb/Reach%20Screens/reach_20119695_Full.jpg[/IM

[URL="http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=20119833&player=GhaleonEB"]Video here[/URL]. The bellow he lets out on the way over had me laughing, hard.[/QUOTE]
The shout-out he makes is quite hilarious. You were a little slow to suicide and grab the jetpack though!

GhaleonEB said:
The Elite just despawned after a couple minutes, right when I was about to get a bead on him. :(

Generator Defense is a nice change of pace, but it highlights the limitations that are built into Firefight. Namely:

1) Cannot place the generators in better locations.

2) Cannot configure the generator traits: health, how long they lock, how long the cool down is.

3) Firefight maps were not designed for Firefight, and it really, REALLY shows in Generator Defense.

It's a concept I really wish was built out a bit more. I like it (and Crashsite in Score Attack) because it's the only game type where the enemy does not hold back, but rather swarms to the targets. It makes for a much harder, hectic and more interesting game than the default Firefight.

Naturally, no one ever votes for it, and when they do, they don't know how to play it. (Except for that one game on Unearthed, holy shit.)
Another thing that is really bad about generator defense is the fact that there is no balance between how the ai behaves when choosing who/what they attack. When the generators are locked, they only attack you. When the generators aren't locked, they only attack the generators. That is the aspect that really makes me hate generator defense.

FourDoor

Looks like I'm in the minority on HalGAF who likes big screens...

FourDoor_HaloGAF_Setup1.jpg

And the WIP that hopefully I can finally upgrade/finish later this year.

FourDoor_HaloGAF_Setup2.jpg

Risen

Tashi0106 said:
MLG 50 Risen? Be my friend!! Yessssss lol

LOL yessir! I believe I've played a game or two against you back in the day. I have a few open spots on my FL - shoot me an FR, I'd love to play. GT: Risen GBG

wwm0nkey

CyReN said:
I never realized how bad Reaches maps where til I replayed 1-3 this weekend.
Halo 1 - Great maps

Halo 2- Amazing maps hitting almost pure perfection

Halo 3- Had some pretty good maps

Reach- "Dear god, WHY!?"

Zeouterlimits said:
Oof. A delay of a month? Missing Bungie Day?
By god if doesn't feature Jason Jones blowing my mind I'll be very disappointed.
Bungie via facebook:
‎20th Anniversary ViDoc is now set for 8/2. Last rough cut I saw was 30 minutes. So, really it's like several pieces all rolled into one legendary half hour.

(Emphasis mine.) Holy crap! 30 minutes.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Risen said:
LOL yessir! I believe I've played a game or two against you back in the day. I have a few open spots on my FL - shoot me an FR, I'd love to play. GT: Risen GBG
Probably, I've played like 6000 MLG games back in Halo 3. I've played with just about everyone.

MrBig

Fourdoor, that theater set-up is fantastic. Gaming on a projector is a dream, the definition of comfy couch gaming. I've only experienced it a few times, but I plan on eventually building one myself, but teh monies :(

wwm0nkey said:
Halo 1 - Great maps

Halo 2- Amazing maps hitting almost pure perfection

Halo 3- Had some pretty good maps

Reach- "Dear god, WHY!?"
My sentiments exactly. Let us do your job for you bungie, let us play with the SDK

I'd love to play MLG with you guys sometimes, but I'm not sure I can hang at level 50. I only made it to 35, but I never played with a team.

FourDoor said:
Looks like I'm in the minority on HalGAF who likes big screens...

FourDoor_HaloGAF_Setup1.jpg

And the WIP that hopefully I can finally upgrade/finish later this year.

FourDoor_HaloGAF_Setup2.jpg
Awesome setup. I'm just a student so I can't buy such awesome stuff.
But I'm going to buy 3DTV, when Halo 4 supports 3D

Risen

thezerofire said:
went to Anaheim for Halo 3, will be going again this year

Nice Zero! I went to Dallas in H3 and had an absolute blast. Honestly the most fun I've had since CE LAN parties.

Hey there Halogaf I've been lurking since the launch of Halo Wars and finally got approved over the weekend. Good things come to those who wait I suppose. Well here we go...

Lone Wolves 41

AR or BR?

DMR

H2 - Sanctuary
H3 - Highground
Reach - Tempest

BTB

Competitive

All except Halo 2 (stopped trying after the hanger)

Are you EazyB?

Nope, only in my dreams

CE - Halo
H2 - Delta Halo
H3 - The Ark
Reach - Long Night of Solace

BTB
DLC playlists
Infection\Action Sack\Grifball

My Western Digital portable HDD says hi

I like it but don't love it

Spartan Evade and armor lock frosting can forever go away. All the other AA's can use a little tweaking but overall I'm glad Bungie put them in.

Why are you a Halo fan?

I first played Halo CE at my brother's house and my family couldn't get me away from that TV for the whole weekend I was visiting. My most vivid memory was driving the warthog through the level Halo and being blown away by the visuals, gameplay, and most of all the mystery of Halo. The story and campaign is what drew me in but the multiplayer is what has kept me coming back for more. In high school we hung out playing CE at my house, when I moved away I kept in touch most of my friends through Halo 2 and playing over live. Ever since Halo multiplayer has been the go to for me and my friends.

I know I'm in the minority here but I prefer Reach's multiplayer over all the others (and yes I played them all). That said it's far from perfect and I look forward to what 343i has in store especially with the Title Update. Here's hoping for a increase in banshee manuever cooldown, making the focus rifle and plasma launcher useful again, tweaking of AA's, and much much more.

About me I'm a Christian, husband, and father of two amazing kids. I ride motorcycles, fly airplanes from time to time, and play way too many video games. I'm glad to finally be a part of the GAF and I look forward to contributing to the conversation.

So what can we expect from Bungie Day now?

- "Crimson" info
- Bungie vs. the World
- Possible full reveal of Bungie Aerospace website

I'm asking the day off of work for 7/7. I might spend today sharpening my skills.

Is the playlist 4v4?

And when is the official thread going up?

Risen said:
Nice Zero! I went to Dallas in H3 and had an absolute blast. Honestly the most fun I've had since CE LAN parties.
Yeah it was really fun. And I got to see my tD win it all from the main stage.

I am super excited for God Squad and Old Str8 for this Anaheim though

Hitmonchan107 said:
So what can we expect from Bungie Day now?

- "Crimson" info
- Bungie vs. the World
- Possible full reveal of Bungie Aerospace website

I'm asking the day off of work for 7/7. I might spend today sharpening my skills.

Is the playlist 4v4?

And when is the official thread going up?

I don't know where I saw it posted but I thought it was 4v4, slayer only with around AR starts gametypes and all the other DMR starts without those new Forge World maps. I'm gonna look if I can find the complete list.

EDIT: Nope, can't find it but I do know that this is about right.

urk said:
This is the best place to set your expectations.
Do the companies that are partnered with Bungie Aerospace have full control of their PR schedules?

I would've expected Weisman to leap at the opportunity to have his team's game shown when the spotlight is brightest.

I know its extremely unlikely, and there is no evidence to support the claim, but I've been secretly dreaming/hoping that Bungie has a map that they are going to release for free on Bungie day.

DON'T CRUSH MY DREAM!

Homeboyd

Steelyuhas said:
I know its extremely unlikely, and there is no evidence to support the claim, but I've been secretly dreaming/hoping that Bungie has a map that they are going to release for free on Bungie day.

DON'T CRUSH MY DREAM!
Bungie Day,
Redeemed.

Steelyuhas said:

DON'T CRUSH MY DREAM!
Of what?

Steelyuhas said:

DON'T CRUSH MY DREAM!

Cold Storage was so awesome and for a free map it was one of my favorites for Halo 3. To troll the community they'll probably remake Chiron TL-34. I had some epic shotgun showdowns on that map. Make it happen Bungie!

wwm0nkey

Steelyuhas said:

DON'T CRUSH MY DREAM!
Covenant forge world! :(

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Hitmonchan107 said:
Do the companies that are partnered with Bungie Aerospace have full control of their PR schedules?

Jordan has been involved at every step. We'll make noise when the time is right. :)

Steelyuhas said:
AR starts (not even a Magnum secondary), armor lock the only AA, and only forge world maps confirmed.

Inexhaustible AA power to boot.

Top Bottom