• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

GhaleonEB said:
1/5 on the jackpot so far. Playing quite a fair bit, too. I was pretty excited when the 30k jackpot was announced, I assumed it would be modestly easy to get, given the event. Instead it's just annoying. I really wish bonuses like this were handled better.

I said "bonuses", not jackpots. The nice thing about the old Double XP weekend playlists in Halo 3 was you knew you'd get double XP for playing them. Super Jackpots? Almost never. I'd rather have some fixed component of the reward system accelerated marginally than a random (unlikely) chance of a large bonus.

Better yet, Challenges that had actually scaled up over the past year as had been indicated.
I hit the 30k Jackpot twice last night, I've gotten in 4 times in total now. One of those times it didn't show up in the credit post game report, however the bar had moved so far to Brigadier that it had to be a jackpot. Seems relatively common, not sure how they weight it - but I never leave a match and play Team Slayer 99% of the time.

As for the map Rebirth - I think it's really good. One of the better maps and certainly among the best community maps. Precipice, Affinity and Kingdom are all nice too. I think Enclosed might be one of the best Halo maps I've played - but I haven't played it too much so far so I'll hold judgement for now. Think Twice is thoroughly unenjoyable - I think the massive archways/tunnels around the outer circle of the map give the Sniper Rifle way too nice a sight line - and the plasma launchers are useless on all but the most ideal situations. To top it off, the health pack in the middle plus the ability to drop-down/walk-up the bridge area freely, means that a hammer user has way too much freedom of movement/hiding/flanking/healing. As I play it more I may change my mind but it's pretty atrocious so far.

PNut

Banned
Sai-kun said:
Joke post, right?

...right?

Nope. With a full team that's communicating it's by far one of the easiest maps to hold control of in the game. Stay on your side, time power weapons and it's an easy win. What's the problem?

Edit- Besides the glitch that lets you hide outside of the map. That was posted a few pages back and has been known for some time.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
PNut said:
Nope. With a full team that's communicating it's by far one of the easiest maps to hold control of in the game. Stay on your side, time power weapons and it's an easy win. What's the problem?
So that makes it a good map how?

GhaleonEB

Stripper13 said:
I hit the 30k Jackpot twice last night, I've gotten in 4 times in total now. One of those times it didn't show up in the credit post game report, however the bar had moved so far to Brigadier that it had to be a jackpot. Seems relatively common, not sure how they weight it - but I never leave a match and play Team Slayer 99% of the time.
That's grand. I've hit the credit cap two nights without hitting it, and got within a few thousand on another day, and hit it one day in five total. You can imagine why I might have a different view of the system. :p

Ramirez

Is Rebirth the small Pit remake? Meh

Just played a doubles game where some dudes jetpacked behind the sniper building on Asylum for a good portion of the match, thanks for the killzones brahs.

I thought today was Bungie day and I was planning to stay in and play all day. It is not. I work on Bungie day. Fuck.

Is there anything really going on in game besides cR jackpots for 7/7?

urk said:
I feel your stench ridden pain. I worked at a Fazolis in my youth. Might as well have bathed in garlic "butter."
I've worked at 3 food places during my youth: Taco Mayo, Pizza Inn, and a frozen custard place called Shakes. The worst of the 3 was Shakes due to the smell of spoiling custard on clothing. The best was Pizza Inn because I did delivery and got to eat free pizza.
Domino Theory said:
PAX '08's convention was cool where we designated Bungie's booth as our 'hub' to meet up, chat, etc. I like that there was a point where there wasn't really anyone in line waiting to play Assembly so we all just went and played against each other at the same time while changing our character models to be pink elites (<3 you Eazy).

Top 3 finish FTW
I live smack dab in the middle of the country where nothing ever happens gaming-wise. Can't afford to fly and I wouldn't have the time to do so anyway. But it would be a lot of fun. I wish that I could go one of these years, to any gaming event for that matter.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
equil said:
What makes it a bad map other than the fact that people can get outside of it.
Well it doesn't do anything The Pit did right.

-It's too small

-It's a frustrating game of Cat and Mouse when you're about to kill an opponent and they hide behind a really long wall and you're on the opposite side of said wall

-You can set up camp on either side and take the kills as they come, there are no alternate routes to sneak up on someone who does this, so either hope a power weapon spawns and you get to it first or charge the enemy and hope for the best.

-You can literally spawn kill the enemy team because they do not spawn on the opposite side

-It's a Forge Map

CyReN said:
Anybody going to MLG Anaheim for Halo?
I am. fucking excited.

Tashi0106 said:
You guys have any idea why my microphone indicator would be going off even though I'm not chatting? It looks like I'm saying stuff but you can't hear anything. It's super annoying. BTW my setup is Astro Mixamp with Sennheiser PC 350
god tier

Kibbles

urk said:
I feel your stench ridden pain. I worked at a Fazolis in my youth. Might as well have bathed in garlic "butter."
omg I love their breadsticks. I remember looking up the breadsticks online and would hear Fazoli employees bitching about them.
KuGsj.gif

FyreWulff

Plywood said:
  1. Get betrayed on spawn, boot betrayer
  2. Lose whole team
  3. ????
  4. Profit.

I always love it when I boot an asshole and it turns out he was splitscreening. I always hope the people they were playing with started punching them soon after.

The main reason, why I will fly to PAX, is the HaloFEST. So I'm going to be there the most time. Otherwise I'm going to check out interesting Panels. About games, I don't know if I play some. I have the advantage that I'll go to the GamesCom a week before PAX and so I can check out the most games already. Gears Of War 3 is coming out 3weeks after PAX and I know that a lot of people want to play it.

FyreWulff said:
I always love it when I boot an asshole and it turns out he was splitscreening. I always hope the people they were playing with started punching them soon after.
They likely just laughed and found another game.

Barrow Roll said:
I thought today was Bungie day and I was planning to stay in and play all day. It is not. I work on Bungie day. Fuck.

Is there anything really going on in game besides cR jackpots for 7/7?
The Great American Steak Off

Ramirez said:
Just played a doubles game where some dudes jetpacked behind the sniper building on Asylum for a good portion of the match, thanks for the killzones brahs.
Yeah, there's also a hole in the soft kill zone above the blue sniper tower; someone should be highlighting these spots on the Optimatch forum before the final update.

GhaleonEB said:
That's grand. I've hit the credit cap two nights without hitting it, and got within a few thousand on another day, and hit it one day in five total. You can imagine why I might have a different view of the system. :p
There are a few problems causing people to think they're not getting the jackpot:

1) Although multiple Bungie employees have stated that the Super Jackpot does not count towards your daily cR limit, this is not how the system actually behaves. If you get the Super Jackpot before you hit your daily cR limit, it counts towards it. If you get it after you already hit your daily cR limit, it adds on top, actually earning you more than the limit for that day. It's quite difficult to do the latter this week because the odds are too high and it's in every playlist.

2) The Super Jackpot doesn't always show up in the post-game cR report.

3) At the end of a game, a cR payout is listed at the bottom left of the screen in which you will see the Super Jackpot included. Sometimes this number is impossible to read because the end game scoreboard will come up quickly and your cR payout will fade out along with the rest of your HUD before you can read it.

If you're not tracking your cR balance on a game-by-game basis looking for a large jump, you could get the Super Jackpot and not even know it.

Striker

Plywood said:
-It's a frustrating game of Cat and Mouse when you're about to kill an opponent and they hide behind a really long wall and you're on the opposite side of said wall

-You can set up camp on either side and take the kills as they come, there are no alternate routes to sneak up on someone who does this, so either hope a power weapon spawns and you get to it first or charge the enemy and hope for the best.

-You can literally spawn kill the enemy team because they do not spawn on the opposite side
You just described The Pit.

MLG remedied its issues by having prominent BR starts, removed equipment, and took away the horrid attic spawns (which hilariously was kept in for Slayer, Doubles, and Oddball).

Tawpgun

Striker said:
You just described The Pit.

MLG remedied its issues by having prominent BR starts, removed equipment, and took away the horrid attic spawns (which hilariously was kept in for Slayer, Doubles, and Oddball).
The problem with Rebirth is the sides are too small. In the Pit you would try and control the enemy side of the wall. You can't do that in Rebirth.

Presco

Tashi0106 said:
You guys have any idea why my microphone indicator would be going off even though I'm not chatting? It looks like I'm saying stuff but you can't hear anything. It's super annoying. BTW my setup is Astro Mixamp with Sennheiser PC 350

Might be a shoddy controller cable (2.5mm cable from mixamp to 360 controller). It, along with the A40s themselves, are usually the weak link in the Astro setup. If it happens when your switch your 350 mic off then it is probably the cable.

-edit- Hmm, now that I think about it, you might not have the problem if the mic is switched off. However, from my experience, that controller cable is the first one to go. Astro will send you a replacement but you might want to buy a few extra cables for reserve. I think they're $10.

GhaleonEB

HiredN00bs said:
3) At the end of a game, a cR payout is listed at the bottom left of the screen in which you will see the Super Jackpot included. Sometimes this number is impossible to read because the end game scoreboard will come up quickly and your cR payout will fade out along with the rest of your HUD before you can read it.

If you're not tracking your cR balance on a game-by-game basis looking for a large jump, you could get the Super Jackpot and not even know it.
Yup, I'm watching both of those. When I settle in to play, I pull up my service record on b.net. I play for a while, and then refresh to see the cR bump. I also watch the post game report like a hawk. I'm just not getting it.

Ghal, if you're going to hit the cR limit one of the days this Super Jackpot is still in effect, try writing down your balance after every game. I find it hard to believe this many people are hitting the cap without getting the jackpot.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Presco said:
Might be a shoddy controller cable (2.5mm cable from mixamp to 360 controller). It, along with the A40s themselves, are usually the weak link in the Astro setup. If it happens when your switch your 350 mic off then it is probably the cable.

-edit- Hmm, now that I think about it, you might not have the problem if the mic is switched off. However, from my experience, that controller cable is the first one to go. Astro will send you a replacement but you might want to buy a few extra cables for reserve. I think they're $10.
Yea that's what I thought it might be initially. I've heard of Astro having shitty cables. I'll see if I can aquire another 2.5mm cable. Thanks

Ruze789

Alright finally got approved on here! I'd been lurking on and off since ODST, and signed up just before the Reach Beta started. Didn't realize there was a 15-month wait time until account approval or I would have signed up during ODST.

Highest Halo 3 level and which playlist.
Yikes I thought I was better but Bnet says I stopped at around 24. Lone Wolves. Maybe I should try that again.

AR or BR?
BR

Favorite multiplayer map from Halo 2 and 3 (one of each).
Zanzibar
The Pit

Do you prefer BTB or MLG?
BTB, I'm terrible so I haven't ventured into MLG yet.

Competitive multiplayer or Firefight?
Competitive MP.

Games completed on Legendary.
All but Reach.

Are you EazyB?
No I am not.

Favorite Campaign missions (all games).
CE: Been quite a while but I think Truth and Reconciliation
H2: Outskirts or Metropolis. I liked the urban environment.
H3: The Storm
ODST: Tayari Plaza, I liked Buck's lines.
Reach: Long Night of Solace

Favorite Reach playlists.
Arena, BTB

Size of frankie erotica folder (in megabytes).
<1mb

Opinion on reticule bloom.
Ehhh I always seem to be off, but I don't hate it.

Opinion on Armor Abilities and the one you favor.
Sprint sprint sprint. Don't care for the others much.

Why are you a Halo fan?
I've been gaming since NES days, and something about Halo1 on the xbox stuck with me like nothing else had. I've loved it since the first time I popped it in the tray.

Favorite Halogaffer, and least favorite. (optional)
Really don't know anyone on here. I appreciate Tashi's streams though.

Now feel free to introduce yourself and/or share anything you want so we get to know you better, we'd love to read it. (optional)
I'm not a good Halo player but I love Halo itself. I'm a longtime member of the Halo Costuming site and have spent a lot of my time over the last couple years building or acquiring Halo props and helmets. I did get my entry posted in the Cardboard Helmets Bungie Allstars contest, but since they all took much longer than a week I didn't get a star for it.

Kajiba

Finally hit that damn jackpot. It took like 15 games or so until I got it....felt good.

Also, How do you check again to see how many games it will take you to get to certain rank?

Risen

Tashi0106 said:
Yea that's what I thought it might be initially. I've heard of Astro having shitty cables. I'll see if I can aquire another 2.5mm cable. Thanks

How old is your controller? Sometimes the socket loosens over time or bent in an odd way with use which can produce much the same effect as a cable going bad.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hitmonchan107 said:
Don't know if this is real or fake, but here's a possible leaked weapon from "Halo 4," courtesy of hotshot revan:

oLOtI.jpg

Also, tonight's "X-Play" goes behind the music with Marty O'Donnell.
It's like a combination of a Brute Shot and a dog boner.

Woorloog

Banned
Assuming that concept is real... urgh. Frigging ugly weapon. Looks like something from Dead Space or Red Factions... does not look nor feel like Halo for sure. Just my two cents.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Risen said:
How old is your controller? Sometimes the socket loosens over time or bent in an odd way with use which can produce much the same effect as a cable going bad.

1 month.

GhaleonEB

HiredN00bs said:
Ghal, if you're going to hit the cR limit one of the days this Super Jackpot is still in effect, try writing down your balance after every game. I find it hard to believe this many people are hitting the cap without getting the jackpot.
FWIW, the one time I got it, it showed up both during the in-game pop up and at the cR screen post game. This is not new, I have very seldom gotten them during their run. It's my luck. :p

I'll post the Bungie Day thread in just a bit.
Hitmonchan107 said:
Don't know if this is real or fake, but here's a possible leaked weapon from "Halo 4," courtesy of hotshot revan:

oLOtI.jpg

Also, tonight's "X-Play" goes behind the music with Marty O'Donnell.
Brute Spiker meets the sniper rifle. Not sure what to make of it, but I like the idea of an impaling sniper round.

Top Bottom