• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

bobs99 ... said:
I just finished a game of snipers on Hemmorage. Why that combination exists is beyond me, sure the Sniper is a long range weapon, and sure typically sniping is about crouching behind a rock and hiding until someone pops into your line of sight, but this is a video game. Worse still its Halo, which has typically been known for having fun gameplay.

Even though my team ended up winning im bored out of my mind

I've been bleating on about this for a while. Hemmorhage on Snipes is riddled with problems. Red team has a huge advantage over blue, I get at least a killing frenzy every time i'm red on the map and yet, when i'm on blue team, I get blanied out of NOWHERE by a scrub (crouching behind a rock) I literally cannot see. The draw distance on the map (and Reach in general) is terrible to the point where you have to scope for the screen to even register the opponent. Worst part of the map is, it's utterly, mind numbingly boring and yet, it's one of the most voted for maps in the playlist. But I know why this is the case. It's the same reason Countdown and Swordbase are the most popular maps in default Reach playlists; Halo Reach is full of low skilled players and players that barely posses basic videogame skills can actually get a kill against a decent player on these maps - Countdown/Swordbase sword and shotty and concussion rifle dominate, Hemorhage, players will extract themselves as far away from the battlefield as possible and snipe one person a minute (30 seconds to line up the headshot).

When 343 take over I really hope they give the Snipers playlist a thoroughly good shakeup. My hopes:

- Radar on
- Zealot, Asylum and another community map added to the rotation - the map list is a little lean at the moment
- Atom removed; poor map to begin with, utterly broken in Snipers. If you get control of the towers you may as well be playing Zeus from Halo 3 Action Sack
- If Hemmorhage has to remain then it needs forging to redress the aforementioned Red/Blue imbalance and also be shortened to speed up matches.

Jerpie is bngtest on the stream, though he said he isn't playing.

He said, "I think Urk may post the full rosters with timeslots, I'll ask him in a bit."

Bulletin is up!
http://halo.xbox.com/en-us/news/headline/the-halo-bulletin-7611-/94898

Halo: Anniversary
Pegasus Theatre (Sheraton)
Friday, August 26th, 10:00am–11:00am

The team responsible for the 2011 reimagining of the classic Xbox title peel back the cover on the process behind bringing Halo: Anniversary to gamers on the 10th anniversary of Halo: Combat Evolved. Panelists include Executive Producer Dan Ayoub, Producer Dennis Ries, Franchise Development Director Frank O’Connor, Franchise Manager Kevin Grace, and more!

Halo Universe
Pegasus Theatre (Sheraton)
Friday, August 26th, 4:00pm–5:00pm

Over the past decade Halo has touched millions of people around the world. Come be a part of the 10th anniversary celebration as we welcome some of the people who helped bring the universe to life. Panelists include Franchise Development Director Frank O’Connor, Franchise Manager Kevin Grace, Pete Stacker (Captain Jacob Keyes), Tim Dadabo (343 Guilty Spark), and Steve Downes (Master Chief).

Halo 4
Main Theater (Paramount)
Sunday, August 28th, 10:00am–11:00am

Here is your first chance to see and hear from the 343 Industries team that is creating the exciting next chapter in Master Chief’s heroic story. Be there as we kick off the next 10 years of Halo! Panelists include Franchise Development Director Frank O’Connor, Creative Director Josh Holmes, Executive Producer Kiki Wolfkill, Senior Art Director Kenneth Scott, and Audio Director Sotaro Tojima.

Okay! I'm going to be at all three panels!

GhaleonEB

You guys strive for Perfections. Me, I've had a different goal in my sights for a while.

Ever since this Wraith double stack on Beachhead, I've been hoping to pull off a triple stack. It's a mix of luck - getting enough Wraiths in that spot all in a row without them despawning - and taking them down either before or just as they land.

Finally pulled it off:

TripleStack.jpg

It collapsed after a few seconds, but I can relax a little on Beachhead now. Oh, Halo. What you do to me.

Also, while cruising around in the theater on Beachhead, I learned just how far you can go without resorting to pan cam. Pretty darn far. Across the water, there's this loading area where several dozen of these guys are chilling. They're kind of cute.

Chilling.jpg

My daughter thought they looked like "zombie pigs".

Edit: I'll hit all three panels for sure. They're all in huge theaters, but you'll want to get in line at least an hour early for each one. Halo stuff is HUGE at PAX.

TU suggestion #5 needs to be implemented.

Ken

Wish the Blue Flames could be unlocked by playing on the 7th since I can't sign in to my Windows Live/b.net account.

Guess I'll put down my 3DS for a bit and get in some games on the 7th anyways.

Be there as we kick off the next 10 years of Halo!

*shudder*

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ramirez said:
I hope a lot of people from here are playing tomorrow, I would hate to get matched up against them and have 3 randys.
I'm debating whether or not I'll play. Usually if I don't have anyone to play MLG with I'll play Street Fighter or some shit.

Striker

thee henery said:
- Radar on
- Zealot, Asylum and another community map added to the rotation - the map list is a little lean at the moment
- Atom removed; poor map to begin with, utterly broken in Snipers. If you get control of the towers you may as well be playing Zeus from Halo 3 Action Sack
- If Hemmorhage has to remain then it needs forging to redress the aforementioned Red/Blue imbalance and also be shortened to speed up matches.
I don't play much Snipers on Reach, nor did I Halo 3 after I realized how bad it was considering the maps (Snowbound, Isolation, et. al), radar being ON, and equipment on the map. Really was a huge downgrade coming from the quality we had in Halo 2 for Snipers.

But radar needs off. You might hate getting assassinated, but in radar games with Sniper, it'll turn into a "sees red dot, assumes crouching and melee fest". I would also welcome Pistol getting taken out of secondary weapon and unlimited ammo removed, but neither of those will happen so meh.

vhfive said:
Isn't trueskill based on playlist and not an overall rank. So shouldn't everyone have the same chance.
Even so, when a player has close to 400 games played in it, and then gets matched up with a player(s) who has 20 some games, it gets a little ridiculous.

Halo 4
Main Theater (Paramount)
Sunday, August 28th, 10:00am–11:00am

Here is your first chance to see and hear from the 343 Industries team that is creating the exciting next chapter in Master Chief’s heroic story. Be there as we kick off the next 10 years of Halo! Panelists include Franchise Development Director Frank O’Connor, Creative Director Josh Holmes, Executive Producer Kiki Wolfkill, Senior Art Director Kenneth Scott, and Audio Director Sotaro Tojima.
FUUUUUUUCCKK you all who are going. I jelly bros, I jelly.

Had no idea Wolfkill was Exec Producer.
Also, no Payton. :(

Tawpgun

Dax01 said:
Re: Jess' fifth of top five recommendations:

...and in one, huge chorus, HaloGAF cheered.
And in one, sad whimper, juices cried.

Plywood said:
Who wants to form some super teams for some free steaks?
This guuuuuuy. But it's honestly going to depend who's on at the time. I'll be playing all day.

Louis Wu said:
I hope they have enough....

Also,

Ever Wonder Why We’re Here?

Should you fancy yourself a machinima-maker or a master map manipulator, get your Theater mode ready because we’ll be hosting both a Machinima and Forge Art contest for all who find themselves willing and able to participate. Both contests—the specifics of which will soon be available on our Facebook page—will be judged on creativity, originality, and themes that celebrate Halo’s 10th Anniversary. There are a ton of details our legal team makes us include (I got disqualified due to the obscenity clause), but what it boils down to is this: Make epic [yoink], and you’ll win epic [yoink]. You need not be present to take home the trophy, so get to prepping your entry already. And as I’m sure you have no interest in the prizes, let’s wrap this sucker up.

Wait, you do want to know about the prizes? Ok, then! The machinima contest winner will get a walk-on voice role in a Red vs. Blue Rooster Teeth production, and the Forge art winner will get an ACME Archives limited print run of their submission in production along with an art quality print of their work. I’ve only got one thing to say about that: Blarg-Chicka-Honk-Honk!
http://halo.xbox.com/en-us/news/headline/the-halo-bulletin-7611-/94898

I'm doing this. Who wants to help?

Presco

GhaleonEB said:
You guys strive for Perfections. Me, I've had a different goal in my sights for a while.

Ever since this Wraith double stack on Beachhead, I've been hoping to pull off a triple stack. It's a mix of luck - getting enough Wraiths in that spot all in a row without them despawning - and taking them down either before or just as they land.

Finally pulled it off:

TripleStack.jpg

It collapsed after a few seconds, but I can relax a little on Beachhead now. Oh, Halo. What you do to me.

Behold, the quadruple stack:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=9046856&player=Presco

And its inevitable collapse:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=9046870&player=Presco

CyReN

Quick questions:

1)So after 7.7.11 Bungie is basically done with anything Halo related besides their stats on their sites etc?

2)Do fans actually have any impact on the new TU? I'd love me some bloomless halo.

MrBig

CyReN said:
Quick questions:

1)So after 7.7.11 Bungie is basically done with anything Halo related besides their stats on their sites etc?

2)Do fans actually have any impact on the new TU? I'd love me some bloomless halo.
1) August

2)I don't think there has ever been a TU for something that fans haven't wanted changed.

Bloom is not leaving. That's a basic mechanic of reach. They're not going to change it halfway through its life. Look to Classic++ and the new maps for a different experience if there is going to be one.

CyReN said:
Quick questions:

1) Pretty much.
2) 343/bsA will listen. Not that it will necessarily happen, but she's in a community role for a reason. To take what she hears from the community and put in context & a productive state for 343 to take on board. (I think)

Plywood said:

Im in but wouldnt that just make trueskill matchmaking EVEN worse?

MrBig said:
1) August

2)I don't think there has ever been a TU for something that fans haven't wanted changed.

Bloom is not leaving. That's a basic mechanic of reach. They're not going to change it halfway through its life. Look to Classic++ and the new maps for a different experience if there is going to be one.

That said surely at this stage the TU would be pretty much decided on and that suggestions thread wont make a difference?

MrBig

bobs99 ... said:
That said surely at this stage the TU would be pretty much decided on and that suggestions thread wont make a difference?
They wouldn't need more than a month for QA and testing as long as no major changes are being implemented. Assuming the TU is being unleashed with CEA, there is still plenty of time.

bobs99 ... said:
Im in but wouldnt that just make trueskill matchmaking EVEN worse
Plywood said:
I'll join. Trueskill is per-playlist so everyone is fresh.

CyReN

I don't care if bloom stays in but if there's a option to turn it off I'd be playing a lot more. Looking at my Halo history this is the least played title by far (15k+ for H2/7k+ for H3) and I just hit 1k yesterday. Nothing to do with COD or anything other games either.

senador

Banned
In the bulletin, there's a link to go share your Top 5 for the TU. I don't know if they are actually using that to gauge or just for fun, but I'd imagine its worth a shot. 343 has been reading forums the last few years so they probably have a good idea of what people want.

Re: Bloom
I am glad it most likely won't leave. I can't imagine how much more of a spam fest it'd be with it just turned off, it'd just reward spammers further. The DMR would have to have some sort of range put on it. Ghaleon's kind of covered this though.

senador said:
In the bulletin, there's a link to go share your Top 5 for the TU. I don't know if they are actually using that to gauge or just for fun, but I'd imagine its worth a shot. 343 has been reading forums the last few years so they probably have a good idea of what people want.

Re: Bloom
I am glad it most likely won't leave. I can't imagine how much more of a spam fest it'd be with it just turned off, it'd just reward spammers further. The DMR would have to have some sort of range put on it. Ghaleon's kind of covered this though.

Clearly you couldnt remove bloom without implimenting a RoF that just goes without saying. The RoF that the BR had was fine, spamming wasnt an issue. Infact I remember kicking a guys ass in a 1v1, who claimed I was cheating because he had a modded controller lol. With that you can spam all you want, but you do need to actually aim - just spamming your gun will mean a lot of reloading.

MrBig said:
They wouldn't need more than a month for QA and testing as long as no major changes are being implemented. Assuming the TU is being unleashed with CEA, there is still plenty of time.

I'll join. Trueskill is per-playlist so everyone is fresh.

Ah yeah good points!

Miggytronz

My Bag

264031_2080126035416_1012983956_2487685_4362305_n.jpg

BUNGIE 2XL Long Sleeve
Reach 2XL Short Sleeve
Halo 3 Med Short Sleeve
B.U.N.G.L.E XL Short Sleeve
BUNGIE Hat (seems used, Sweat stain on the tag, smells like it too)
Reach Action Figure - SCOUT (Some what opened)
Limited Edition Master Chief Figure - Camo w/Sword
Halo 2
Halo 2 Multiplayer Map Pack

senador

Banned
bobs99 ... said:
Clearly you couldnt remove bloom without implimenting a RoF that just goes without saying. The RoF that the BR had was fine, spamming wasnt an issue. Infact I remember kicking a guys ass in a 1v1, who claimed I was cheating because he had a modded controller lol. With that you can spam all you want, but you do need to actually aim - just spamming your gun will mean a lot of reloading. !

Well right, but with the unlimited range the DMR has, I don't think RoF alone would be enough. Plus, I don't want to be locked at a RoF, I'd much rather have bloom and control my pace/range myself.

The BR had spread, wasn't hitscan, and didn't have endless range. I don't think the BR can even be used as a reference point for removing bloom in Reach.

Also, I tried so many times to get a bag, I'm bummed I didn't get one. Oh well, the shirt and posters are pretty neat. :)

FyreWulff

Man, Bungie Day is going to be real interesting for me.

Just got back from the consultation at the dentist. They want to take all 4 of my wisdom teeth out. The bottom two are "bombed out" and the top two are impacted. I'm currently hoping my incoming contract money shows up right the fuck now because I have no insurance and did not qualify for the payment plan card thing so I can afford to have them all pulled while being knocked out.

Meanwhile, they gave me a Vicodin prescription. Let's see if my skills improve while on it.

Dunno why I made such an effort considering I really doubt its too late for them to affect the patch, but fingers crossed:

1 – Melee System. – I did prefer how this worked in older games, the lack of bleed through is jarring and leads to a lot of double melees, as even if someone puts 3 shots into an opponent, the opponent can simply run up to them and bring themselves on an even playing footing without risking deaths which is what would have happened in older games if a significantly weaker opponent attempted the same move.

2 – Nade placement. – Perhaps I haven’t adjusted to this properly, but compared to say Halo 3 where nades were used pretty tactically to strip shields and had to be placed very much under a players feet to do so the Reach nades feel very random and placement still seems off.

3 – Player movement/ Inertia system. – Im just personally not a fan of the sense of weight that these Spartans have, a lot of the movement feels stiff and I feel as though this has impacted on gameplay. Strafing doesn’t exactly seem common anymore.

4 – Individual Weapon power level adjustments - currently if the damage is set to a value which allows for the DMR to be a 4 shot kill the Sniper and nades become super powerful, which for me is partly the reason I don’t enjoy Classic as much as I would have hoped, letting each weapon be adjusted on a individual basis would get past that problem, whilst allowing for some interesting tweaking.

5 – Bloom, if it cant be totally removed hopefully it can be toned down to levels where its not noticeable. If this was possible I guess technically a rate of fire would also have to be patched in for all the different guns. That would be pretty sweet. :p

Noticeable mentions – the Sniper aim assist is very high at the moment which leads to very deadly and less satisfying to use weapon.
Player models can sometimes be quite hard to spot; I may be off the mark but I have seen this referenced on another forum: perhaps draw distance is to blame on larger maps like Haemorrhage? Do Spartans render properly at distance?

P.S. I loved Jessica’s Armour lock suggestion. :p

FyreWulff said:
Man, Bungie Day is going to be real interesting for me.

Just got back from the consultation at the dentist. They want to take all 4 of my wisdom teeth out. The bottom two are "bombed out" and the top two are impacted. I'm currently hoping my incoming contract money shows up right the fuck now because I have no insurance and did not qualify for the payment plan card thing so I can afford to have them all pulled while being knocked out.

Meanwhile, they gave me a Vicodin prescription. Let's see if my skills improve while on it.

Damn all the best, when you say bombed out what do you mean exactly? I was in a similar position last year and after a while the pain actually went away, so while I should still get it sorted you may not need to rush into surgery? That said your problem sounds 10x worse than mine.

GhaleonEB

I'm going to tell you a tale about impacted wisdom teeth. Brace yourself.

They had to be chistled out over the course of four hours, while I was sedated with morphine. After, my jaw was wired shut due to all the damage to the jaw bone and surrounding tissues. The holes turned into dry sockets, one at a time, over the course of a few weeks. Each requiring very painful treatments and medications for the pain.

Then, the jawbone itself became infected from the inside, requiring extensive treatment, pain killers and antibiotics.

All told, my jaw was wired shut for six weeks, so I was on an all liquid or very soft foods diet, and the infections bled and oozed the entire time, my cheeks swollen out like a stuffed chipmonk from the swelling. I would wake up in a 12" circle of blood and puss soaked into my pillow every day - for a month straight.

To this day, I cannot open my mouth as fully as most people can because of all the damage.

Most people don't have those kind of problems, though. Most people.

wwm0nkey

Getting your wisdom teeth removed isnt too bad, but the holes that stay there are annoying as all can be when food gets stuck back in there.

Top Bottom