• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Arnie

Just had a single game of Reach and it makes me so sad. It's such a shame that Bungie had to bow out with what is their worst multiplayer game(from a purely mechanical perspective, unfortunately the one that matters most).

Going back to Halo 3 is too, a sour experience. Games are hard to come by in groups and host booting is rife in the playlist I enjoy the most(MLG). I almost feel unable to get that Halo fix that I crave.

I was planning to play a ton of Reach tomorrow but after that last match it's dawned on me that I don't think I can. It almost feels like Bungie purposefully made a bad Halo as a way of passing the gauntlet over to 343, by lowering the bar to mind boggling levels. I won't detail the bad points of Reach, as we all know them like the back of our hands, and in fact knew(and voiced) them before the game was even released in a period of communication with Bungie themselves.

I may hop on and play a couple of Firefight matches whilst commemorating my favourite developers 20th Birthday, but at the same time I'll remember how disappointed I was with their swan song. It's over to you now 343, I'll let Bungie go in a new direction and hope Reach wasn't a sign that I can't keep up.

Dug

Banned
The Real Napsta said:
Tender Loins just got the 30k super jackpot on the stream.
It's rigged I tell you, rigged!
LLShC.gif

Homeboyd

Zeouterlimits said:
How many games has he quite out of so far? *trollface*
I did see one of them drop in the middle of a game earlier.
I think this is Alaskan playing now.. (looking at the tag)

He's pretty good.. haven't seen him quit any. Although he's playing a game to 75 now where everyone but 1 person quit on the other team. Heh

senador

Banned
Arnie said:
Just had a single game of Reach and it makes me so sad. It's such a shame that Bungie had to bow out with what is their worst multiplayer game(from a purely mechanical perspective, unfortunately the one that matters most).

Going back to Halo 3 is too, a sour experience. Games are hard to come by in groups and host booting is rife in the playlist I enjoy the most(MLG). I almost feel unable to get that Halo fix that I crave.

I was planning to play a ton of Reach tomorrow but after that last match it's dawned on me that I don't think I can. It almost feels like Bungie purposefully made a bad Halo as a way of passing the gauntlet over to 343, by lowering the bar to mind boggling levels. I won't detail the bad points of Reach, as we all know them like the back of our hands, and in fact knew(and voiced) them before the game was even released in a period of communication with Bungie themselves.

I may hop on and play a couple of Firefight matches whilst commemorating my favourite developers 20th Birthday, but at the same time I'll remember how disappointed I was with their swan song. It's over to you now 343, I'll let Bungie go in a new direction and hope Reach wasn't a sign that I can't keep up.

If you really think Bungie would make "a bad Halo as a way of passing the gauntlet over to 343, by lowering the bar to mind boggling levels", that's pretty messed up.

That leads me to these thoughts...

I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I wish some here would state it as such. I joined because I'd like to come in with better feedback than what I've seen. Blanket statements and such just aren't helpful.

I personally think Reach has its flaws, but I also think Bungie did a fracking awesome job with it. I'm sorry that you don't like it but to say its the worst multiplayer ever is kind of messed up. I have a blast with Reach. While I loved the passed Halos, I like Reach the best. Its clear Bungie worked hard with it. I hope for some tweaks, but overall I think its a fantastic experience.

I think 343 has got a really tough job. I've been with Halo since the beginning, and I'm an average player. I don't want a rehash of 2/3. I'd actually want something more like Reach, but tweaked and progressed. How can everyone be pleased? I don't think its possible.

Hitmonchan107 said:
This man keeps it real. Glad to have another Pro-Pipe user in the ranks.

When I finally noticed what you wrote, I LOLed. :)

The Real Napsta said:
What is your opinion of it in the MLG playlist?

I think the settings are pretty good, but the maps selection is lacking, and the lack the gametypes is pretty bad, especially with v5 only being slayer and flag.

Arnie said:

I know it's all opinions, but it's a ridiculous notion that Bungie deliberately set the bar low - or that it's their worst game mechanically. Everything about the game oozes polish and effort - they included everything but the kitchen sink (the sink in this case, being party view in theater mode), it's nearly flawless glitch/exploit wise, and it has the best iterations of Forge/Firefight and Campaign (at least for feature set).

As for the mechanics - I think the vast majority of players don't give a fuck about bloom or armor lock, melee etc. The game still plays like Halo and has the series staples we've come to expect. I can't wait for a bloom fix, but it's not some game breaking change that ruined the game - it's an inconvenient system that allows spam to luck out and get an undeserved kill sometimes. It's not ideal - but you respawn in 5 seconds - and provided you pace/aim your shots carefully you will defeat a spamming player very consistently.

I know it's all opinions - and I have issues with the game aswell, but I think it's the best Halo game thus far - that just comes shy of hitting Halo 2's Slayer awesome-sauce.

Arnie

senador said:
If you really think Bungie would make "a bad Halo as a way of passing the gauntlet over to 343, by lowering the bar to mind boggling levels", that's pretty messed up.
Stripper13 said:
I know it's all opinions, but it's a ridiculous notion that Bungie deliberately set the bar low - or that it's their worst game mechanically.

Eh? I said that's how it feels, not what I think they actually did. I'm well aware that isn't in any way, shape or form what they intended. Talk about missing the point.

I'll edit my post so their aren't more misunderstandings. I just feel the game is so poor compared to previous Halo's that I'm attributing some sort of meaning to the madness.

Oh and I think the mechanics are polished, I never said they weren't, I just don't think they fit into multiplayer Halo. In Singleplayer and firefight I think they're excellent.

Striker

The Real Napsta said:
What is your opinion of it in the MLG playlist?
Never played Reach's MLG, but evade as a armor ability, even on a single person, can be disruptive and abused to a point it's unbalanced in close quarters. It belongs on Elites and only Elites.

senador

Banned
Arnie said:
Eh? I said that's how it feels, not what I think they actually did. I'm well aware that isn't in any way, shape or form what they intended. Talk about missing the point.

I'll edit my post so their aren't more misunderstandings. I just feel the game is so poor compared to previous Halo's that I'm attributing some sort of meaning to the madness.

Oh and I think the mechanics are polished, I never said they weren't, I just don't think they fit into multiplayer Halo. In Singleplayer and firefight I think they're excellent.

Thanks. ;) I really think people adding that little bit goes a long way, at least for me. I understand you feel that way (and why even), and Reach isn't what you wanted, but I actually like it quite a bit.

Again, I think 343 really has a dilemma.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Halo 4 panel SEXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

A shame that I'll be missing the Anniversary panel on Friday since my flight arrives in Seattle at 11am.

Kibbles

[edit] nvm I'm an idiot lolololol. Thought the camera in the video on the Halo 4 teaser in Halo: Reach was a sign of possibly being able to add mainmenu pics of forge maps in the new title update (which I didn't think would be possible), but then I realized it can't be, it's a fan video. Then I quickly realized that the camera is just the camera angle shown when you respawn. I'm herping and derping today.

Arnie

senador said:
Thanks. ;) I really think people adding that little bit goes a long way, at least for me. I understand you feel that way (and why even), and Reach isn't what you wanted, but I actually like it quite a bit.

Again, I think 343 really has a dilemma.
Yea, I'm like that too sometimes. Although I never meant to say it was a unanimous opinion, despite the fact that between my entire friendship group it seems to be.

It's just personal preference and with a game as diverse as Halo that only widens. I personally like my Halo fast, the mechanics added in Reach reduce the overall game speed in numerous ways, thus I really don't enjoy them.

FyreWulff

bobs99 ... said:
Damn all the best, when you say bombed out what do you mean exactly? I was in a similar position last year and after a while the pain actually went away, so while I should still get it sorted you may not need to rush into surgery? That said your problem sounds 10x worse than mine.

One of them looks like a ghost-tooth on the Xray.

I don't think I need to be rushed into surgery right now, but the doctor said "You better get them out now rather than later". I'd love to schedule the surgical consultation/appointment but I have to wait until I actually have the cash to do it. The pain is making it hard to even think about playing Halo, let alone actually playing.

But damnit, I'm gonna participate in Bungie Day shenanigans.

Sorry we couldn't connect, Zayne. I spent an hour trying to portforward and junk to get an open NAT, bit I didn't know what the hell I was doing. :lol

Trasher

Ferrex's hat eh? I wonder if someone got a Ziploc bag with Luke's shaved off beard.

Ramirez said:
I'll more than likely be on around 4-6 EST...
When does it actually begin?

Edit: Nm. Crap. 24 hours to get a free steak. So you won't be on until 4am???

Ramirez

Trasher said:
Ferrex's hat eh? I wonder if someone got a Ziploc bag with Luke's shaved off beard.

When does it actually begin?

Edit: Nm. Crap. 24 hours to get a free steak. So you won't be on until 4am???

4am?? Good grief! I meant PM!

It doesn't actually start tonight at 3 AM EST does it?

Kuroyume

Banned
Striker said:
Never played Reach's MLG, but evade as a armor ability, even on a single person, can be disruptive and abused to a point it's unbalanced in close quarters. It belongs on Elites and only Elites.

Amen

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Tawpgun

Ramirez said:
Interesting, wish they were in the beast coast timezone.

I wish Beast coast got any kind of gaming attention. I'll be going to PAX East as I'll be in Boston next year, but I know Bungie/343 probably won't be there :(

Should be fun, but all the gaming stuff happens on the West Coast, Germany, and Tokyo.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
A27 Tawpgun said:
I wish Beast coast got any kind of gaming attention. I'll be going to PAX East as I'll be in Boston next year, but I know Bungie/343 probably won't be there :(

Should be fun, but all the gaming stuff happens on the Best Coast, Germany, and Tokyo.

Fixed. ;P

zumphry

Banned
-Yeti said:
Sorry we couldn't connect, Zayne. I spent an hour trying to portforward and junk to get an open NAT, bit I didn't know what the hell I was doing. :lol

It's ok. Got into a bit of network trouble myself when I disconnected from a game with a few friends of mine. Hopefully it won't be bad tomorrow.

Miggytronz

Looking more into the history of Ferrex's hat i found the origin of it all. Which i never knew.

For those of you who dont know heres a FYI.....

Tyson "Ferrex" Green
Tyson_Green.jpg

http://tain.totalcodex.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5339
Heh. During the E3 2003 crunch, when we created the Earth City demo, I happened upon a box of swag being cleared out of the store, inside of which was a blue hoodie and a boonie hat. Being cold (due to an obnoxious air vent-window combination that created a frigid microclimate around my desk), I donned both. Being in crunch, I didn’t have a chance to remove either for several days, and they stuck (figuratively.)

The hat sort of became a mark of distinction, as well as a way of hiding motorcycle-helmet-hair. I am often told by new coworkers that they “didn’t recognize me!” when first seeing me without it, so it’s just sort of expected now.

The original threadbare hat still sits on a MW2 bust on my desk, while it’s more robust replacement (which Jim McQuillan scared up after stitches and iron-on patches became necessary on the original hat) is always in my bag for rainy and/or bad hair days.

I wonder if anyone got the Hoodie?

Ramirez said:
4am?? Good grief! I meant PM!

It doesn't actually start tonight at 3 AM EST does it?
I'm getting a nap once I get off work, but I plan on playing from 3 a.m. EST on.

MrBig said:
I'm thinking about doing this. I'll watch what I shamefully missed of the new Futurama season and if I dont fall asleep I'll join you.
The new season started?! What the crap, Comedy Central!

MrBig

Hitmonchan107 said:
I'm getting a nap once I get off work, but I plan on playing from 3 a.m. EST on.
I'm thinking about doing this. I'll watch what I shamefully missed of the new Futurama season and if I dont fall asleep I'll join you.

Hitmonchan107 said:
The new season started?! What the crap, Comedy Central!
No, season 6. I thought the season was over after the holiday break

Miggytronz

Captain Blood said:
Please, please tell me you realize that isn't actually his hat lol
Did you read my previous posts?

Hat is clearly used. Smells like its been used and has sweat stains on the tag. Also tag is thread worn. (See pic I posted)

Mikasangelos said:
Did you read my previous posts?

Hat is clearly used. Smells like its been used and has sweat stains on the tag. Also tag is thread worn. (See pic I posted)

Yea but I don't see how that proves it belonged to anyone specific. I could be wrong I guess but it just seems bizarre and ridiculous to me that they would have Tyson wear a hat around so they could get it nice and sweaty to give away in a swag bag.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Captain Blood said:
Yea but I don't see how that proves it belonged to anyone specific. I could be wrong I guess but it just seems bizarre and ridiculous to me that they would have Tyson wear a hat around so they could get it nice and sweaty to give away in a swag bag.
Believe.

Haha I am not trying to rain on anyones parade but I can't imagine they stole someones used hat to put in a swag bag. You seem pumped about it though so hopefully it is his.

Considering I'm on the West Coast, I'd be down to play a few games tonight when the playlist goes up. Jeremiah said it is scheduled to go up at 11:45 pacific time tonight.

If others are on then just shoot me an invite.

Anyone feel like playing some Reach?

Also picked up my Burn Blue T-Shirt today! (Thank god I got a Medium... I usually fit small perfectly, but this medium is almost to small for me)

don't mind the myspace style pic
NADTcl.jpg

Devin Olsen said:
Anyone feel like playing some Reach?

Also picked up my Burn Blue T-Shirt today! (Thank god I got a Medium... I usually fit small perfectly, but this medium is almost to small for me)

don't mind the myspace style pic
NADTcl.jpg

It's always weird to see actual pictures of GAF'ers. I always picture them as their avatar.

If I ever met Ghaleon and he is not a fish, I might have a MELTDOWN!

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Steelyuhas said:
It's always weird to see actual pictures of GAF'ers. I always picture them as their avatar.

If I ever met Ghaleon and he is not a fish, I might have a MELTDOWN!

Yeah when I met Blood at PAX '08, I was expecting him to come with a cape and a pointy black mask. :p

...oh wait

Top Bottom