• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

ElRenoRaven

GhaleonEB said:
Just went through four cycles - 32 voting rounds - in Score Attack and couldn't get a good combination. Glacier, Overlook, Waterfront, Holdout. Repeat. Cycling through all the voting rounds chewed up all the rest of my playing time. Maddening.

I know that feeling. That's the one area I hope 343I really works on for future games. As much as I love Bungie they have been intent on not allowing us freedom to choose what we want to play. For future games I want the choice of what I play. Give us choices. The more the better.

GhaleonEB said:
Just went through four cycles - 32 voting rounds - in Score Attack and couldn't get a good combination. Glacier, Overlook, Waterfront, Holdout. Repeat. Cycling through all the voting rounds chewed up all the rest of my playing time. Maddening.

That 5 seconds between showing new options is extremely irritating lol!

By the way nice work GAF, the odds of anyone here playing Bungie and getting a steaktakular are really low and yet you guys managed it like straight away. Im super jelly.

I will be able to play later on, hopefully people will be teaming up in a few hours?

Homeboyd

I asked this in the Bungie Day thread but didn't get a response. Ghal, maybe you know..

I know you guys have talked about the cR super jackpot and whether it counts if it doesn't show up in the post game report or not but couldn't remember what the verdict was. I got one in the Bungie Day playlist (popped up at the end of the match) but since the playlist is set to 777 cR slot machines, it didn't show up in the post game report. Does that mean I didn't get it? Got both the super jackpot and the 777 cR slot machine?

I've won several before and they've all shown up in the post game report is the reason Im asking.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I play on 3. But in Halo 3 for a while, I used to play on 10. Halo 2 was 6. I've bounced around a lot over the years. I like 3 because it's pretty steady as far as shooting goes but I don't feel like it's too slow in situations where it's good to be quick like CQC. My sniping is OK, but I don't think sensitivity would effect positively. I feel like my gameplay has evolved around the 3 sensitivity so that I never feel like it's too slow.

Tashi0106 said:
I play on 3. But in Halo 3 for a while, I used to play on 10. Halo 2 was 6. I've bounced around a lot over the years. I like 3 because it's pretty steady as far as shooting goes but I don't feel like it's too slow in situations where it's good to be quick like CQC. My sniping is OK, but I don't think sensitivity would effect positively. I feel like my gameplay has evolved around the 3 sensitivity so that I never feel like it's too slow.

Thanks Tash.

I've been watching
stalking
some players who have absolutely handed my ass to me on a platter in DMR battles... and while it's difficult to always tell what sensitivity they are on (third person view etc), they tend to move a lot slower than I do. I think it's time to suck it up and start winding down the sensitivity as I'm wasting many DMR/Needle-Rifle shots due to over-correcting and over-compensating... funnily enough, my Magnum accuracy is seemingly unaffected.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Stripper13 said:
Thanks Tash.

I've been watching
stalking
some players who have absolutely handed my ass to me on a platter in DMR battles... and while it's difficult to always tell what sensitivity they are on (third person view etc), they tend to move a lot slower than I do. I think it's time to suck it up and start winding down the sensitivity as I'm wasting many DMR/Needle-Rifle shots due to over-correcting and over-compensating... funnily enough, my Magnum accuracy is seemingly unaffected.
If you're over compensating and over aiming then try touching the right stick less. When I played on 10 I tried to touch it in battles very little. Also you have to pick your battles. If you feel like you're going to lose a BR battle then you can turn around and sprint away very quickly on a higher sensitivity. I also used to like to higher sensitivity because the rapid movement would require so much attention it would pump me up and suck me into the match. I've learned to control that though. Sometimes I need to put myself in tough situations to play my best. Like bring sniper into a hot spot or enemy base rather than just sitting back.

After a point it's just fine tuning. You could put me on 10 sensivity or 1 and everywhere in between I'll still kick ass. But at 3 or even 4 I'll really shit on everyone.

Don't sweat the sensitivity so much. Whatever you choose, stick with it, give yourself a chance to adapt to it. Also, there's so much more to Halo than just the shooting aspect. There are so many players who are better at shooting then I am, but if I put myself in advantageous positions all the time, it doesn't matter how good of shooter he is.

I think I'm either using 4 or 5. In the beginning of Reach, it was 3 for me but after around 2 months, I got out DMR'd more frequent. Then was the moment when I thought to myself: I've got to turn it up a little. Now, my K/D is slowely rising from 1.17 to 1.26 in 2 months.

My sniper skills aren't very consistent in Reach (I think I'm one of the few people who think sniping in Reach is more difficult) but I don't think it has anything to do with sensetivity but more with my mind and aiming skills.

Say if you spend a good amount of time in the BvsW play list looking for Bungie, and you end up winning a lot without finding them. Will trueskill keep you from matching with bungie essentially ruining your chances at a steak? Bungie gets their ass kicked all over the place by other teams so their trueskill has got to be down the scale quite a bit. Your super teams would be behooved to lose to randoms heightening the chances of a trueskill match up, no?

Havok

Account Attempt #4 said:
Say if you spend a good amount of time in the BvsW play list looking for Bungie, and you end up winning a lot without finding them. Will trueskill keep you from matching with bungie essentially ruining your chances at a steak? Bungie gets their ass kicked all over the place by other teams so their trueskill has got to be down the scale quite a bit. Your super teams would be behooved to lose to randoms heightening the chances of a trueskill match up, no?
I don't think that the system would allow jumps in trueskill rapidly enough to make that much of an issue. Its certainly possible, yeah, but I'd imagine it would take a lot of games to really happen in a 24-hour playlist. Besides, trueskill restrictions, with the experience I've had with randoms, are loose enough that it's a pretty unlikely scenario.

Louis Wu

rofl - not sure who was playing on the 9am-10am shift... but someone should dock their pay.

5 games, they lost all 5, steaktacular'd 4 of the 5. :)

Homeboyd said:
I asked this in the Bungie Day thread but didn't get a response. Ghal, maybe you know..

I know you guys have talked about the cR super jackpot and whether it counts if it doesn't show up in the post game report or not but couldn't remember what the verdict was. I got one in the Bungie Day playlist (popped up at the end of the match) but since the playlist is set to 777 cR slot machines, it didn't show up in the post game report. Does that mean I didn't get it? Got both the super jackpot and the 777 cR slot machine?

I've won several before and they've all shown up in the post game report is the reason Im asking.
Sometimes the Super Jackpot is displayed in the post-game cR report and sometimes it's not. Either way, it definitely counts towards your daily cR cap (unless you hit the cap prior to getting it, in which case it adds on top). If you saw that cR notification at the bottom left display +3XXXX at the end of the game, you definitely got the Super Jackpot, regardless of what it says in the post-game cR report.

GhaleonEB said:
What kind of games are you looking for?

senador

Banned
Louis Wu said:
rofl - not sure who was playing on the 9am-10am shift... but someone should dock their pay.

It makes you wonder if they even play/played the game. I'm taking into consideration that some of these guys could be marketers, artists, animators, etc so it doesn't matter if they are any good at the game, but it does worry me. How can you make a game like this if you don't really play it? The guy just now was shooting a Plasma Rifle long range from the bottom of the hill to the top that leads into Powerhouse.

I really hope that 343 are all gamers, and play Halo quite a bit. I would think that's pretty crucial to making a great game. Based on who they have hired, I think this is true, but I think its imperative. Seems like 1-2 hours of Halo at work or at home each day should be a job requirement.

<3 you Bungie, but some of you dudes don't look like you play Halo, or even Xbox at all.

senador said:
It makes you wonder if they even play/played the game. I'm taking into consideration that some of these guys could be marketing, artists, etc so it doesn't matter if they are any good at the game, but it does worry me. How can you make a game like this if you don't really play it? The guy right just now was shooting the Plasma Rifle long range from the bottom of the hill to the top that leads into Powerhouse.

I really hope that 343 are all gamers, and play Halo quite a bit. I would think that's pretty crucial to making a great game. Based on who they have hired, I think this is true, but I think its imperative. Seems like 1-2 hours of Halo at work or at home each day should be a job requirement.

<3 you Bungie, but some of you dudes don't look like they play Halo, let alone Xbox at all.

Yeah, this kind of blows my mind (happens more often than just with Bungie) but it dovetails with what you hear about a lot of people in the companies not even really being into gaming at all to begin with. I'm not saying they should be as good as people who don't have jobs and play their game all day, but it's kind of weird when they don't seem to even get the basics. I guess I just feel that if I worked at a development studio I'd make it a point to put some time into getting good at the product.

At the same time, this isn't the 16-bit days anymore and these sort of AAA games require so many people to get off the ground that it's probably impossible to get an entire staff that is talented AND interested in MP games.

It's really appalling how bad Bungie is at this game. I mean, they've never had the reputation of being particularly good, but this is ridiculous.

senador said:
It makes you wonder if they even play/played the game. I'm taking into consideration that some of these guys could be marketers, artists, animators, etc so it doesn't matter if they are any good at the game, but it does worry me. How can you make a game like this if you don't really play it? The guy just now was shooting a Plasma Rifle long range from the bottom of the hill to the top that leads into Powerhouse.

<3 you Bungie, but some of you dudes don't look like you play Halo, or even Xbox at all.
It's almost like they spend all their time working hard and spending time with their families, the miscreants!

senador

Banned
Genesis Knight said:
At the same time, this isn't the 16-bit days anymore and these sort of AAA games require so many people to get off the ground that it's probably impossible to get an entire staff that is talented AND interested in MP games.

Yeah this. Plus doing the work these guys do takes up a lot of time and effort. I don't know about guys in the graphics/animations area, but many programmers come home and keep coding since its what they love. Add a family into the mix and they probably don't even have time after work. This isn't exactly true though because Evil Otto has a huge family, but probably plays the most Halo out of anyone at Bungie. Nearly 1500 games. He's not a "pro" but he's played enough to know what's up.

After working on a game every day for 2-3 years probably makes it hard to want to play it. Reach is only about a year old for us, but for these guys its going on 4-5. So really, all the more props to Candland.

Its probably unrealistic for game devs to play their games as much as we do, but I can't help but wonder what Halo could be like if they could.

HiredN00bs said:
It's almost like they spend all their time working hard and spending time with their families, the miscreants!

I kind of addressed this above. I'm not really accusing them of anything, just wondering out loud.

Shake Appeal said:
Bungie are a large company with a lot of different employees. I think it is safe to say that people who make high-level design decisions about how the game actually plays actually do, uh, play the game.

What's up Shake? You used to post much more and I liked your input. Your Reach Beta write up was really useful for me too.

Read my paragraph above in this post. I know they play it, but gauging by the stream, they don't play it a lot. I know everyone plays at different skill levels too, itt just makes me wonder is all I guess. I'm not expecting them to be awesome at it (I'm not), but know when to crouch, throw grenade, hide, run, what weapon to use should be something they'd know don't you think?

Also, yes I'm sure the dudes balancing things actually do play the game quite a fair share, and we know they do internal playtesting. I also took into consideration that these guys not playing great are not those same ones making the high level decisions.

Anyway, just some thoughts is all.

Bungie are a large company with a lot of different employees. I think it is safe to say that people who make high-level design decisions about how the game actually plays actually do, uh, play the game.

What's up Shake? You used to post much more and I liked your input. Your Reach Beta write up was really useful for me too.
I play videogames a lot less in 2011 for various reasons, but I visit the thread less because there's no one in it I play with regularly, and the negativity and bitching just isn't as much fun as it used to be. On the whole I really do like Reach, and it's kind of tiring to read people complain about it endlessly. Not that I don't understand many of their complaints, because I share quite a few, but I just can't understand how some regulars maintain the energy to not only repeat their complaints daily, but to play the game they dislike so much for literally hundreds of hours more than I do.

Mostly at this stage in the Halo Cycle I just don't have that much to contribute that isn't repeating what someone else said (boring) or trolling somebody (not as fun as it used to be). When Halo 4 details arrive, I'll be here more often.

Just played a couple of games. Didnt meet Bungie but did get the worlds most noobiest extermination ever, that has to be worth something right. :p

Louis Wu said:

I was shocked at how bad the playing was. One of the games on Countdown looked like it was the person's first time on the map.

Shake Appeal said:

Not necessarily. One of the design philosophies of making games is that high level designers do not play the game during development because it will make their opinion biased on an aspect of the game. They rely only on feedback. Not saying that everyone does this, but it does happen.

Also, those that do play play new builds of the game nearly everyday for up to two years before the game releases, so I can understand why they don't play it much after the game comes out.

senador

Banned
Shake Appeal said:
I play videogames a lot less in 2011 for various reasons, but I visit the thread less because there's no one in it I play with regularly, and the negativity and bitching just isn't as much fun as it used to be. On the whole I really do like Reach, and it's kind of tiring to read people complain about it endlessly. Not that I don't understand many of their complaints, because I share quite a few, but I just can't understand how some regulars maintain the energy to not only repeat their complaints daily, but to play the game they dislike so much for literally hundreds of hours more than I do.

Mostly at this stage in the Halo Cycle I just don't have that much to contribute that isn't repeating what someone else said (boring) or trolling somebody (not as fun as it used to be). When Halo 4 details arrive, I'll be here more often.

Gotcha. I think I read you were writing a book too.

I understand, and I'd probably be in the same boat, but after a year of only being able to read, I'm ready to discuss, even if its just a rehash. I've been dying to join too, because I feel the same as you in that there's a lot of trolling and negativity, but I don't think it has to be that way.

I hope you don't think I was contributing to that. I really like Reach (I remember reading your thoughts last fall and I felt nearly the same) for the most part, and the things I'd change are minor. The stuff I was just talking about was just something I wondered while watching the stream, so I thought I'd bring it up. :)

Genesis Knight said:
Yeah, this kind of blows my mind (happens more often than just with Bungie) but it dovetails with what you hear about a lot of people in the companies not even really being into gaming at all to begin with. I'm not saying they should be as good as people who don't have jobs and play their game all day, but it's kind of weird when they don't seem to even get the basics. I guess I just feel that if I worked at a development studio I'd make it a point to put some time into getting good at the product.

I'm the kind of person who hates going back through anything I write or make (excluding proofreading). I notice all the little details that could have been better.

And, if I made a game, I'm sure that's what would happen, too.

FourDoor

Devin Olsen said:
I'll be on in 30 min. I have one person with me (goatrope) any two GAFers feel like partying up?

I may jump on and take an "extended" lunch around then. ;) Send me a message if you guys can't find 2 more players before then...

MrBig

I've got every single Halo OST released on rotation and will be on all day. Already got my steak, but send me an invite if you need another player.

FourDoor

squidhands said:
He just AL'd the sword guy twice, then was able to assassinate him. I bet Mr. Sword feels like and idiot.

LMAO I just watched that. The sword guy turned around and started walking away after the second swipe thinking he got him only to be assassinated by otto. LOL

Top Bottom