• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

xxjuicesxx said:
THATS NOT FUNNY DAMN NEAR EVERYBODY I KNOW HAS BEEN PRISON-FUCKED.
It's not about who you know. It's about the fact that words have meaning. Using a term that means criminal sexual violation to describe a resounding victory may be offensive, but more importantly, it's moronic.

So I played 32 games in the Bungie Day playlist. I got 1 game on a new map, my last game, on Tempest.

Did anyone else play on new maps in that playlist?

HiredN00bs said:
It's not about who you know. It's about the fact that words have meaning. Using a term that means criminal sexual violation to describe a resounding victory may be offensive, but more importantly, it's moronic.

One definition of "rape" is: any violation or abuse: the rape of justice

Wouldn't that apply to it's use in a gaming situation?

Blinding

Tashi0106 said:
Welcome blinding, glad you finally got accepted.

Thanks man, I feel bad that we haven't played in a while. :l

Thanks to the Bungie Day playlist, I hit the credit limit for the first time last night, which is pretty cool I guess, though I was getting annoyed to see that the Bungie guys kept constantly getting matched up with randoms and teams of twos instead of actual teams. I wanted my steaks god damn it.

Edit: I played on Tempest and Anchor 9 a few times Napsta, though most of the time it was only if they came up on the first voting screen and were DMR starts.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Donged on is too light for me. It just doesn't decribe the level of ass kicking I lay on fools.

Dookied on is fun to say. Shit on is one of my favorites. Also shitting in various places is good for epic domination. For example, "oh my god I just shit on that kid's face" or, "wow that kid just ate my shit" I also like to out BR a fool and just act surprised and say, "oh my goddddd, you're so baddddd"
Lol there are more but I'm blanking.

Edit:lol don't feel bad, it's Halo bro.

Dax01 said:
Hey. Ken Levine (the man) talks about how the Warthog in Halo was an inspiration for a game mechanic in BioShock Infinite. (10:17).

I think it was in Edge, But Levine also said that Halo CE provided the basis of exploration in the original Bioshock.

P.s. You seen the infinite gameplay? How sweet does that look? Halo 4 and infinite make 2012 epic.

Edit: It was actually PC Gamer

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
What's worse, "raped", or "donging on kids."

Hmmm, either way I think people are over sensitive about this.

Juices should just stick to saying "I forcibly assfucked those kids with my high caliber armor lock play."

Hey Halogaf, I just got approved. I tried to friend one or two of y'all. Don't think anyone accepted my request or read my message or y'all just didn't want to talk to a random (which I totally understand). Anyways, I am a big Halo fan that has been lurking here for a while and I hope to play with y'all sometime.

GhaleonEB

Thought I'd check here first, hope someone can help out.

My home PC is currently hosed, as of about an hour ago.

I was searching for a way to download youtube videos, and googled "how to download youtube vidoes" and clicked the first result (which looked like a youtube video).

I got a notice from my antivirus that something was trying to access the system (something.exe), and I directed it to squash it. But it popped back up, and again, and again, and again, and again. I couldn't get out of it.

So, I rebooted, the thought being that would get away from the site with the virus.

This was apparantly a big mistake.

Now, the system is reporting wide-spread HDD failures and dead clusters, won't run properly, reports high RAM usage, and is otherwise just going haywire.

I restrated in safe mode and did a system restore to last night, but that failed.

I logged in under safe mode and ran for updated anitvirus protections (using Constant Guard, which is what we get as a Comcast customer). Exiting safe mode and restarting, Constant Guard crashes. Windows security is now yelling at me that there is no antivirus protection (when there is, er, was.)

Just now the system went down to black screen and I shut it down. I have no idea what to do. Anyone have any suggestions?

If you can, try to get some different antivirus software on the machine asap. I recommend Microsoft Security Essentials or AVG. See if you can't install one of these and then scan and try to remove the virus.

Blinding

GhaleonEB said:

I was searching for a way to download youtube videos, and googled "how to download youtube vidoes" and clicked the first result (which looked like a youtube video).

I got a notice from my antivirus that something was trying to access the system (something.exe), and I directed it to squash it. But it popped back up, and again, and again, and again, and again. I couldn't get out of it.

So, I rebooted, the thought being that would get away from the site with the virus.

Now, the system is reporting wide-spread HDD failures and dead clusters, won't run properly, reports high RAM usage, and is otherwise just going haywire.

I restrated in safe mode and did a system restore to last night, but that failed.

I logged in under safe mode and ran for updated anitvirus protections (using Constant Guard, which is what we get as a Comcast customer). Exiting safe mode and restarting, Constant Guard crashes. Windows security is now yelling at me that there is no antivirus protection (when there is, er, was.)

Just now the system went down to black screen and I shut it down. I have no idea what to do. Anyone have any suggestions?

If you absolutely can't remove the virus, then you'll more then likely have to do a complete wipe of your HDD and reinstall your OS to salvage your PC.

Tashi

Ugh that's the worst. What's worked for me in the past are these 2 guys...

http://www.technibble.com/rkill-repair-tool-of-the-week/

First, the program was designed for the use in my malware removal guides so that I can have a tool that is easy to use and kills known processes that stop the use of our normal anti-malware applications. Simple as that. Nothing fancy. Just kill known malware processes so that we can use the normal anti-malware program to their job.

So in summary rkill just kills processes, imports a reg file that restores HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command, removes policies that disable regedit, taskmgr, hides your desktop icons, etc, and removes a key used by a malware protection process. Then it kills explorer so it will restart and enable some of the reg changes. Other than what is listed above, it does nothing else. It does not create a report, because this tool was not made to be fancy but made made to help novice users remove malware through my guides. Maybe in the future I will include a report of what it has killed. It is not a priority though right now.

And then I hit it with MalwareBytes Anti Malware

This Anti Malware is a god send!

It hasn't failed me yet. Before these I would reformat my HDD and re install windows.

Blinding said:
If you absolutely can't remove the virus, then you'll more then likely have to do a completely wipe of your HDD and reinstall your OS to salvage your PC.
This. Hopefully that won't happen. It sounds like the comcast software that you have is less than great, so that was probably the problem to begin with.

Edit: As suggested above, Malwarebytes is also a good one for removal. Just make sure you get some new software for protection so you don't have to remove in the future.

Tashi

Yea in my PC I run Microsoft Security Essentials and Malware Bytes Anti Malware

Also, if you want to download youtube videos check for add ons for your browser. I currently use Flashgot for FireFox. I don't know the Chrome equivalent.

The Real Napsta said:
So I played 32 games in the Bungie Day playlist. I got 1 game on a new map, my last game, on Tempest.

Did anyone else play on new maps in that playlist?

I played Tempest for my second to last game, and that was the only DLC map I played. Sure tells you how many people bought Reach DLC....

GhaleonEB

Thanks. Currently running Malware Bytes Anti Malware in safe mode, it's flagged a few "infected objects" so far in the scan. Here's hoping...

Edit: it found seven problems, delted them. Restarting in safe mode, going to run the other stuff next...

GhaleonEB said:
Thanks. Currently running Malware Bytes Anti Malware in safe mode, it's flagged a few "infected objects" so far in the scan. Here's hoping...

Edit: it found seven problems, delted them. Restarting in safe mode, going to run the other stuff next...

If worst comes to worst just make sure you backup all your data asap. I was lucky with the fact that when my hard drive got infected a few years ago I could still take the hard drive out and use it as an external hard drive to transfer all the data across to another machine.

GhaleonEB said:

Once you get booted normally, not in safe mode, go grab Microsoft Security Essentials that is what I use. AVG Anti Virus is another good option too. Also see if you can uninstall that Comcast software, I just googled it, looks like it runs on Norton, which is horrible.

Miggytronz

Awesome Barlow said:
Once you get booted normally, not in safe mode, go grab Microsoft Security Essentials that is what I use. AVG Anti Virus is another good option too. Also see if you can uninstall that Comcast software, I just googled it, looks like it runs on Norton, which is horrible.

x2 on the bolded. I got my office to switch to that and they are very pleased.

senador

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Computer stuff
Hi Ghaleon. If none of the scans work, go here and read the forums: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/.

The people on that forum help with malware and such. They have a few steps that will help general cases, but for tough ones they have you run reports and post results to help you figure things out. I used them twice with my laptop and a friend's (who downloaded way too much pr0n. Lol). They are volunteer based and really friendly and helpful. The 2 laptops they helped me with would have been toast, the bad files would returned on reformat/reinstall even.

Re: rape
While I agree with you guys that the way the word is being used means something different, and I too say it sometimes, the fact that a few people have said it offends them and are sensitive to it should be enough for you/us to stop saying it and respect them. This is legitimate too, its not like someone is saying "stop swearing, it offends me".

Come on HaloGAF, can't we all be friends? <3

GhaleonEB

Re-running a full scan using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (did a quick scan before).

I'm encouraged that all of the screaming the computer was doing about bad data clusters and so on have stopped, and system performance is normal.

I'm worried that most of the data on the system is gone - all saved files from the desktop and other folders. Pictures, personal folders, ect. are all gone.

Is there anything I can do to restore data that malware has deleted? I'm looking at four years of family photos and videos gone, among other things.

feel

Make MSE and malwarebytes tag team that bitch

GhaleonEB said:
Is there anything I can do to restore data that malware has deleted? I'm looking at four years of family photos and videos gone, among other things.
Damn, try Recuva. And check malwarebytes' Quarantine area, maybe they're still there.

Striker said:
Jeremiah has mentioned not adding Halo 3 maps because you or any one else can play those said maps on Xbox Live at the moment.

If any updates to Classic 343 can do is update a better version for Lockout, and add some others for flag. They could add 1-flag to Hang 'em High's variation and add some other maps like Ascension, Sanctuary, Turf, and possibly for a large map experience, a Coag variant.
They need a better (I mean good) version of Midship. The one they have now is just awful.

Falagard

GhaleonEB said:

Your files are still there, they can be recovered. Use file recovery software.

I haven't used any in a while, so I can't personally recommend something, but take a look at this maybe:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-data-recovery-file-undelete-utility.htm

It lists some software options that can do it.

Risen

Roddslayer said:
I played Tempest for my second to last game, and that was the only DLC map I played. Sure tells you how many people bought Reach DLC....

I think it only came up twice for us... enough to know I don't like it, not because of the design exactly, but for some reason my montior or box absolutely reject all that it is. Not sure if it's the grass, or draw distance, or just Forge World acting ugly but I can see all sorts of lines/pixels/jaggies that I just do not see on other maps. Had frame rate issues both times - and that only came on Tempest and Asylum consistently.

Bungie Day was a fun list for about 3 games - then it became a grind just hoping Bungie would show up in my lobby lol.

31 Steaktacular medals on the day - but not one on Bungie :(

By the end of the night my eyes were bleeding from the experience and I had lost all motor control in my hands lol.

ElzarTheBam said:
I think it was in Edge, But Levine also said that Halo CE provided the basis of exploration in the original Bioshock.

P.s. You seen the infinite gameplay? How sweet does that look? Halo 4 and infinite make 2012 epic.

Edit: It was actually PC Gamer

Infinite is 2012 GOTY. Foregone conclusion.

leonfaria04

Neo Member
GhaleonEB said:
Re-running a full scan using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (did a quick scan before).

I'm encouraged that all of the screaming the computer was doing about bad data clusters and so on have stopped, and system performance is normal.

I'm worried that most of the data on the system is gone - all saved files from the desktop and other folders. Pictures, personal folders, ect. are all gone.

this worked for me a while ago.... i just got a mac now and i run backups on my hdd with my wireless router.... just in case

http://http://www.ehow.com/how_7321012_recover-lost-files-due-virus.html

PD: next time use a plugin for firefox... or if you have a iOS device you can do it there...

GhaleonEB said:

Don't put your eggs in one computer basket. Get an external HD and back up files like that often, and/or use cloud storage like Dropbox.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
GhaleonEB said:

I'll reiterate what others have said and in this order specifically:

Microsoft Security Essentials
Malware Bytes but most importantly,
ComboFix

Finally, once you get everything up and running this can download youtube videos for you: http://www.freemake.com/free_video_downloader/

MrBig

GhaleonEB said:

Recuva works wonders for data retrieval. Just don't write any new files or delete anything else until you get what you can back. There's already a chance that the files have been overridden and you won't be able to get some amount back.

For downloading youtube video, just use a browser extension. I use this for firefox and then Adobe media encoder for re-encoding videos or stripping audio.

And yes keep MSE running if you're going to search for things like that.

Blinding

squidhands said:
Don't put your eggs in one computer basket. Get an external HD and back up files like that often, and/or use cloud storage like Dropbox.

I'd stay away from Dropbox with their updated TOS, has the potential for having them claim they own something you made personally or get you in trouble for uploading something that isn't yours.

thezerofire said:
I'm not going to lie, I started to tear up

Me as well, I am saving it all for the viddoc.... goddamn.

Here comes the part where we pick apart that last paragraph for hints towards their next game, because that article had lots of hints....

senador

Banned
A27_StarWolf said:
Me as well, I am saving it all for the viddoc.... goddamn.

Here comes the part where we pick apart that last paragraph for hints towards their next game, because that article had lots of hints....
I nearly teared up and it gave me the chills. Bon voyage Bungie. I hope the darkness doesn't last too long.

Hmm, I don't know that there were hints. Maybe, but I think that really was just a goodbye for now.

Dax, me thinks that was your final update. Maybe a final final upate with the Vidoc

Edit: urk said in the Bungie Farewell thread that the post mortem was/is internal only. I was hoping for an update with something like this. I'd like to hear about making Halo games, the fun parts and the challenges. Some of this will probably be in the Vidoc, but I'd also like to see stats and such.

Homeboyd

Hypertrooper said:
Maybe we'll hear something from France soon... ;)

The agony of waiting... it will hurt.

Futurama%20dog.jpg

MrBig

A27_StarWolf said:
That could possibly be Dead Orbit in the banner. It's either not Earth or Earth is "dead," with all those pock marks. Background is some kind of star chart with an edge filter. It being a chart would indicate it is navigable.

We're having a double win situation right now. We will get awesome Halo games made by 343i and a completely new universe created by Bungie. I'm excited to play both titles. I'm just hoping that Bungie's new game won't be a MMO.
Even if it is a MMO, I'll try it

wwm0nkey

Hypertrooper said:
We're having a double win situation right now. We will get awesome Halo games made by 343i and a completely new universe created by Bungie. I'm excited to play both titles. I'm just hoping that Bungie's new game won't be a MMO.
Oh we pretty much know Destiny an MMO at this point, but I dont think it will be a MMO in the tradition sense of the word.

Top Bottom