• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

So in lieu of walking down Halo memory lane here I stumbled upon an ancient August 2000 copy of PC Gamer I had lying around. In it is a preview for one of the best shooting games of all time, you guys might have heard of it, it's called
Max Payne
but a scant few pages before it we have a preview for the once third person PC exclusive version of Halo.

PC Gamer said:
Reel off a list of the best game designers working at the moment. Go on... (pause for thought). Done? How many of you have Jason Jones on that list? 'Fess up, which one of you said "who"? Would the creator of the classic (albeit Mac) Marathon games, the engineer and designer of Myth, and mind behind the stunning Halo engine be worthy of a place? Probably, but the publicity shy founder of Bungie has avoided the spotlight of game designer fame. however, with the buzz that's surrounding Halo, started at last year's E3, and further enhanced by the demo given at this year's event (and available exclusively on The PC Gamer CD), we had to find out what was on the mind of the game's technical engineer and designer.

"We're all huge sci-fi fans here," says Jones, "and with a few notable exceptions, Hollywood has forgotten how to make a real sci-fi film. So a lot of our inspiration has come from literature."

Unlike cinema, which often blandly duplicates the success of former crowd-pleasures like Blade Runner, current sci-fi authors like Neal Stephenson (Snow Crash), Iain Banks (Consider Phlebas) and Peter Hamilton (The Neutronium Alchemist) provide the petrol that fuels the imagination of Halo's team. "In the way that Ian Banks is really hard sci-fi, we're trying to stay very realistic," says Jones. "Everything in the game should be realistic and believable, which is something that Banks does really well."

We've all seen some of the amazing screenshots of Halo, but even Jones admits that "everyone stops paying attention to what a game looks like after a couple of hours of playing it," he says. So why is Halo going to be more filling than just a bowl of icing? Jones claims that the single-player game, which many shooters have abandoned in recent months, is going to be as good as any game out there. "We thing we have a story that is so good," he says, "you could write a book about it and sell it as a sci-fi novel."

That's a bold claim, as a lot of games have fallen short of their literary aspirations. Furthermore, in the past few years, multiplayer online gaming, and the explosion of the mod community have upstaged the single-player experience. But Jones is just as confident that Halo will be a new standard in squad-based, multiplayer combat.

There will be a lot more to do than simple team deathmatch, as mods like Counter-Strike for Half-Life have shown that squad-level, class-based action can be a compelling experience. Jones is coy about the multiplayer features of Halo, but he promises us an experience more realistic and intense than you will find anywhere else.

The physics in Halo are quite simply stunning, with no detail overlooked -- from the realistic ejection of spent cartridges, to the contrails of a missile drifting away in the breeze. This kind of attention to detail is brought to the vehicles, too, which are one of the most intriguing aspects of Halo. Although other games have used crafts as part of combat, Jones says, boasting, "Our vehicles are going to be ten times better [than anyone else's]."

Look for some multiplayer battles to start with one side establishing air superiority before ground troops begin their assault. And don't think that only the swift and the strong will rule on the battlefield. There will be a lot to do besides shoot the bad guys, including driving the vehicles, sabotaging the enemy's installations, and other forms of indirect support.

The coming months are going to be crowded with squad-based online shooters, so Halo is going to have to do a lot to distinguish itself from games like Tribes 2 and Team Fortress 2, both of which have a proven track record as multiplayer games. So what is Halo doing to stand apart? Like many developers, Jones keeps his cards close to his vest because competitors could easily adopt the kind of gameplay innovations planned for Halo. "Things like [new technology] are easy to talk about." he says, "because they are hard to implement." But he promises that once the game is on our machines, we will be marveling not only at how it looks, but at how it plays.

Like Bungie's previous game Marathon (a technologically impressive first-person shooter originally released for the Mac), the story will involve the active participation of an AI life form. Just before the main character lands on the ring planet -- the halo-shaped world that gives the game its name -- the AI will download itself into his cybernetic matrix, and become a sort of unseen supporting character. "The AI is actually with you all the time," Jones says. "Instead of saying 'Hey, there's a sniper lined up on your head,' she'll say 'Hey, there's a sniper lined up on our head.' I think that is really powerful emotionally, and will give us lots of interesting possibilities as designers."

Just as interesting is Halo's emphasis on a variety of tactics. Jones feels that the best games are those that allow gamers to choose how they want to play. So in Halo, you can solve a problem with a sniper rifle, a tank, or even air power. But don't expect to hit the quick-save button before launching an attack. Jones regards the unceasing saving and reloading as a tiresome style that should be abandoned. "We have a lot of really good ideas that allow you to have the experience of being constantly near death but without punishing the player with constant reloading," he says.

But he also admits that the Halo team is still undecided on some areas of the game, such as camera placement. Sniping will be done in a first-person perspective because, "there's no other way to do it," he says. But the team is still debating the first/third-person issue. When driving a jeep, for instance, Jones is strongly committed to a third-person view. But won't that make it harder to run over the bad guys? "I don't think so," Jones says with a laugh. "It's sort of the same problem with parallel parking in real life; it's a lot easier to do in third-person. And running people over is the same thing. You have a much better idea of how big your car is and in what direction they are moving. But other players in the vehicle, like gunners, will be able to use a first-person view."

As in all team-based games, cooperation is going to be paramount, but Jones isn't rushing to embrace new technologies like voice-over-'net or the Powerplay protocol hyped by Valve but now conspicuously absent from the headlines. "One of the things that we are trying to do as much as possible," he says, "is eliminate the need for non-social communication in the game. The thing I am worried about is the modem player. Do you want your bandwidth taken up with some guy talking to you, or do you want your bandwidth to be used to line up your sniper shot?" If voice-over-'net makes sense, then "Halo will absolutely have it," but until then, he has adopted a wait and see attitude.

One thing that is certain about the game is that once it ships, you will be able to use Bungie's tools to create mods. Halo will come with a full-featured, C-based editor that will allow the mod community to take the game in different directions. Although the editor will most likely be pretty complicated -- it is coming from the folks at Bungie, after all -- casual coders will be able to reshape the game and perhaps do things even Jones never imagined.

As with most high-profile titles, the developers are reluctant to talk about release dates. Jones politely side steps the issue and assures us that it won't ship until it's done. That's fine, because it's games like Halo that make us buy shiny new rigs we can't afford and skip a day at work waiting for the DSL guy. This is one worth waiting for.

Some of the images in the preview show a creature that looks similar to an Engineer, and another that shows something looking similar to Reach's Guta saying that there would be indigenous lifeforms on Halo. Another screenshot is given the text "Hand gestures will be important in multiplayer for communicating information in short period of time" and a final screenshot shows a vehicle that looks almost identical to what the Spectre was in Halo 2.

It's interesting to see where the game went between then and the release on the Xbox. Something I never really gave much thought to was the dynamic checkpoint system in Halo, I guess that was a secret innovation that flies under most radars but it works wonderfully.

zumphry

Banned
Hydranockz said:
So my brother, who many of you have played with, has finally made it on to HaloGaf. One era ends and another begins :p

Heckfu and Zalin on GAF?

StXoX.gif

Risen said:
I think it only came up twice for us... enough to know I don't like it, not because of the design exactly, but for some reason my montior or box absolutely reject all that it is. Not sure if it's the grass, or draw distance, or just Forge World acting ugly but I can see all sorts of lines/pixels/jaggies that I just do not see on other maps. Had frame rate issues both times - and that only came on Tempest and Asylum consistently.

Yep unfortunately Tempest has some obvious perf issues but it's by far my favorite map on Reach. The map feels the most alien and interesting out of the bunch let alone the fact that it's fun to play in.

One of my main gripes towards the campaign were the environments. Planet Reach felt bland and uninteresting due to the human focused architecture and lack of anything forerunner. What drew me into Halo was not the human conflict so to speak but a new alien and ancient universe that was slowly being unveiled. There's a lot more of the Halo universe that could have been peeled back in Reach but instead it was just a clone of Earth with different vegetation.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ramirez said:
Gears 3 was awesome when the servers were up, when they were down I got pretty shoddy matches, not as bad as 2, but not as smooth as Reach. I'd love for 4 to have dedi's, I doubt it though, I think the only reason Gears got them is because of how pathetic the netcode was in the other 2 games.
At least Epic's coop netcode isn't complete shit.

FyreWulff

So, two more MM updates from Bungie? August 2nd is the first Tuesday of August.

Unless the July update just got pushed back to then.

GhaleonEB

After some poking around and stablizing the system, I decided to haul in the professionals. I took it to our local PC services shop for clean up and data recovery.

Good news is they're re-building the data, it will take a day or two to complete but it's all there. Apparantly the malware from this morning a nasty one, because once it ran it pulled in a bunch of other malware to wreak havoc (18 different viruses installed today).

Turns out the malware program I had installed from Comcast was only partially running; the firewall was fine but the antivirus wasn't fully set up. So I was wide open, and they all just marched right on in. Lesson learned, going to really educate myself more in this area and build some redundancy/backup systems.

Thanks for everyone's help this morning, I was freaking out. :lol

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Oh good. I hope you get a full recovery on your data. I learned the hard way that I should back up my data when my hard drive failed on me once. Wasn't pretty.

vhfive

Tashi0106 said:
Oh good. I hope you get a full recovery on your data. I learned the hard way that I should back up my data when my hard drive failed on me once. Wasn't pretty.
same :(
losing all my music was by far the worst. I still don't have everything I used to.

O D I N

Homeboyd said:
Maybe we'll hear something from France soon... ;)

The agony of waiting... it will hurt.

Futurama%20dog.jpg

You sonuvabitch. I cried more at this than the Bungie 'update'. I'm really empathic to these kind of things, and I cried during that episode too...

sonuvabitch... T___T

No hard feelings... BUT DAMMIT!!! D':

Plywood said:

Took the thought right out of my head. Also, love your avatar.

Plywood said:
It's not an MMO guys, it's a POE (Persistent Online Experience).

Have you considered a career in 'Wordsmithing'?

GhaleonEB said:
After some poking around and stablizing the system, I decided to haul in the professionals. I took it to our local PC services shop for clean up and data recovery.

Good news is they're re-building the data, it will take a day or two to complete but it's all there. Apparantly the malware from this morning a nasty one, because once it ran it pulled in a bunch of other malware to wreak havoc (18 different viruses installed today).

Turns out the malware program I had installed from Comcast was only partially running; the firewall was fine but the antivirus wasn't fully set up. So I was wide open, and they all just marched right on in. Lesson learned, going to really educate myself more in this area and build some redundancy/backup systems.

Thanks for everyone's help this morning, I was freaking out. :lol

Had I been on earlier, I would've tried to help. I hope that works out for you.

After running through Malware bytes (which I have, and run often), if it's still giving you trouble, I probably would have tried a system recovery from a few days ago. I'm not as computer savvy as I'd like to be (believe it or not, my wife is the computer genius. I'm more... Computer literate).

I'll keep my eyes open here in case you need anything else. Happy to help (or at least try to).

Thanks for the Halo Bungie. Can't wait to join you starside... whenever that is...
Soon™?

Tashi

Hitmonchan107 said:
Oh man. "Halo 4" has some major competition for my Game of the Year 2012.

Oh good I was hoping to see this 15 minute demo. I loved the first Bioshock but I love Halo multiplayer too much for anything to come close for Game of the Year.

edit: Game looks awesome.

edit 2: new youtube layout is fuckin sexy

wwm0nkey said:
You know if it wasn't for Bungie and Halo, I don't think I would have been so big into games as I am today.

The only games I played before Halo where Megaman and Banjo Kazooie.

I actually remember my first time ever playing Halo CE like it was yesterday. I was with my father for his basket ball stuff but all the members where having a LAN party and playing Halo CE and they let me hop in, 4v4 CTF on Hang Em High :)

After that I went right a head and bought a Xbox and Halo CE (got Steel Battalion too) with my Birthday cash. Then not too long after I started to hear about E3 and my first E3 viewing happened to be the E3 where they announced Halo 2. Needless to say I was pumped. When Halo 2 came out that was a instant buy and I actually won a strategy guide from Game Crazy for winning the FFA tourny they had. I actually never had Xbox Live for the first year or so of actually owning Halo 2 yet I played it every single day either single player or MP with my cousins or friends. Then after a year my parents finally decided to get good internet connection and with in hours I had my gamertag (still the same as today) set up and was ready to go. Then I discovered the wonder of Xbox Live. I met quite a few awesome friends on my first day, 2 of which I still talk to daily, tried to make a few Halo videos (warthog jumps and ect) and played the ever loving crap out of BTB.

I could go on and on about Halo 2 and Xbox live and Halo in general but I think I will stop now lol

Bungie thank you for making me a very happy gamer over these past few years. :)

THIS x100 Thanks for the years Bungie. That said after I played Halo I just couldn't play anything else, every other game felt weak in comparison lol.

ElRenoRaven

GhaleonEB said:
Impressive, but I refuse to get sucked into the hype on this one. The first Bioshock was so absurdly over praised, and was so flawed, that I straight up ignored the sequel. We'll see.

Wow. I thought the first lived up to the hype. The second I don't know because a different development team and just everything about it screamed cash in. Maybe one of these days I'll get it when cheap. This one though being done by Ken and his crew again it has my interest.

Gui_PT

bobs99 ... said:
THIS x100 Thanks for the years Bungie.

Seriously. Once I played Halo CE, my view on videogames completely changed. Made me want to create fun games with and tell great stories.

10 years and 15 chest hairs later, I'm living the dream.

So if anyone from Bungie is reading this. Thank you.

Karl2177

GhaleonEB said:
Impressive, but I refuse to get sucked into the hype on this one. The first Bioshock was so absurdly over praised, and was so flawed, that I straight up ignored the sequel. We'll see.
Bioshock is one of those strange games where I can watch people play it, and have more fun watching them than actually playing it. That and Fallout 3 are 2 games that I want to try, but for some reason can't play.

EDIT: Gah, The Poster Pack is still in stock and I'm on the edge of buying it, but I'm not sure...

Kuroyume

Banned
thezerofire said:
opinions, opinions.

Yeah, I take it back. Don't want to get into any back and forth argument with a Gears fan. Silly thing to say.

PsychoRaven said:
Wow the tears over Bungie day from the Bungie.net forums are hilarious. This one really is. This is your future 343. This is what you have to look forward too. lol

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=62798044

This thread is just too funny.

My rant against Bug Bussiness

Tashi

Yea I played the Gears 3 Beta a few days straight and then I realized that Gears just isn't the type of game I like. I love the campaigns though.

feel

Hitmonchan107 said:
So good.

Tashi0106 said:
Yea I played the Gears 3 Beta a few days straight and then I realized that Gears just isn't the type of game I like. I love the campaigns though.
Translation = I got shat on and they laughed at me when I said I would destroy them on Halo :_( (wait, where do we stand on pooping jokes? Didn't mean to offend anyone!!)

Tashi0106 said:
I couldn't get into any of the other ones, but Gears 3 Beta had that skill gap that I miss so much in Reach

MrBig

PsychoRaven said:
Wow the tears over Bungie day from the Bungie.net forums are hilarious. This one really is. This is your future 343. This is what you have to look forward too. lol

Are you trying to just get more money? Looks like it. You even gave up the game industry, something you have been a part of all your life, to help something else. What kind of decision is that? You people are idiots, and I no longer want to work for you morons when I get out of college.

These bits there just baffle me.

blamite

PsychoRaven said:

I think I can top that.

This thread started out innocently enough.
how do i get the blue flame helmet at bungie.net
after a few people pointed out it wasn't available anymore:
well then -blam!- bungie i'll play battlefield from now on there -blam!- cheats someone needs to contact an attorney about this -blam!-
Some people call him out for overreacting. He goes on to say:
someone needs to talk to the esrb about this bunch of cheats
Quick, call the ESRB!
honestly what kind of company gives away meat i mean damn that is just trashy i don't blame microsoft for kicking them to the curb
:lol

You stay classy, b.net forums!

Ken

Someone's mad that they didn't win a steak after playing for 24 hours in BvW.

Not sure about the latter but it probably is true too.

ElRenoRaven

blamite said:
I think I can top that.

This thread started out innocently enough.

after a few people pointed out it wasn't available anymore:

Some people call him out for overreacting. He goes on to say:

Quick, call the ESRB!

Yup those are pretty hilarious too. I really can't wait for all those idiots to move over to the Waypoint forums. The Bungie.net forums might actually become bearable.

GhaleonEB

PsychoRaven said:
Wow. I thought the first lived up to the hype. The second I don't know because a different development team and just everything about it screamed cash in. Maybe one of these days I'll get it when cheap. This one though being done by Ken and his crew again it has my interest.
I loved the demo, and bought the game, and thought it was just okay after a few incredible hours. It didn't sustain itself through the run time, stopped being scary. The dark environments all started to blur together; new enemies were more powerful but otherwise identical version of old ones; new plasmids were stronger versions of old plasmids; no new encounter designs. The second half of the game felt like a grind to me, and then it ends with a 1) collect the armor mission, 2) an escort mission and 3) a pattern-base boss who goes through different elemental-based attack cycles. All the incredible inspiration from the first quarter of the game just evaporated.

All IMO, of couse. I'd give it a 7/10, for the opening sequence (perfect), the decent but clunky upgrade system (I have to find a machine to review my own stats/perks?), decent gunplay and poor enemy AI. I played through it twice, once on hard and then again on the hardest difficulty, then sent it away to my brother. Never really thought much about it since.

So when I see the (true) sequel getting so much praise, I get this sense of deja vu. Will approach with catious optimism.

Wait, what thread is this? :lol

My NAT changed somehow, it's no longer open. Funny thing is, that's in turn given me host in every Firefight game since. I'm trying to motivate myself to change it, but haven't found the will quite yet.

PsychoRaven said:

This, bioshock deserved every praise it got. Bungie are better collectively, but as a individual developer, Ken Levine is a fucking genius, imagine that man working on halo 4? A man can dream right?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
blamite said:

Ugh, I hate forums where everyone feels that there thoughts require a new thread. Rather I should say I hate users that feel there every thought requires a new thread, thus ruining forums.
Gametrailers

ElRenoRaven

GhaleonEB said:
I loved the demo, and bought the game, and thought it was just okay after a few incredible hours. It didn't sustain itself through the run time, stopped being scary. The dark environments all started to blur together; new enemies were more powerful but otherwise identical version of old ones; new plasmids were stronger versions of old plasmids; no new encounter designs. The second half of the game felt like a grind to me, and then it ends with a 1) collect the armor mission, 2) an escort mission and 3) a pattern-base boss who goes through different elemental-based attack cycles. All the incredible inspiration from the first quarter of the game just evaporated.

All IMO, of couse. I'd give it a 7/10, for the opening sequence (perfect), the decent but clunky upgrade system (I have to find a machine to review my own stats/perks?), decent gunplay and poor enemy AI. I played through it twice, once on hard and then again on the hardest difficulty, then sent it away to my brother. Never really thought much about it since.

So when I see the (true) sequel getting so much praise, I get this sense of deja vu. Will approach with catious optimism.

Ah to each their own I guess. I never expected the game to be scary myself. Course I grew up on horror movies so nothing really scares me anymore. I can see your complaint about the baddies. For me it was the world that interested me. I spent a lot more time just exploring rapture then actually playing the game I think.

And yea. We probably need to get back to talking about Halo in the Halo thread. lol

Hitmonchan107 said:

I've had my eye on this game for awhile. Thoroughly enjoyed 1 & 2 and have been extremely impressed with what I've seen so far. I wonder if they will be offering a MP component ala BS 2 which was actually not that horrible IMO.

xxxstylzxxx said:
I've had my eye on this game for awhile. Thoroughly enjoyed 1 & 2 and have been extremely impressed with what I've seen so far. I wonder if they will be offering a MP component ala BS 2 which was actually not that horrible IMO.

As tacked on as the mp was, I also quite liked it, partly due to the atmosphere and art design it retained from the single player side of things. Also, I think Ken said there is no MP in infinite.

Louis Wu

Rickenslacker said:
So in lieu of walking down Halo memory lane here I stumbled upon an ancient August 2000 copy of PC Gamer I had lying around. In it is a preview for one of the best shooting games of all time, you guys might have heard of it, it's called
Max Payne
but a scant few pages before it we have a preview for the once third person PC exclusive version of Halo.

Some of the images in the preview show a creature that looks similar to an Engineer, and another that shows something looking similar to Reach's Guta saying that there would be indigenous lifeforms on Halo. Another screenshot is given the text "Hand gestures will be important in multiplayer for communicating information in short period of time" and a final screenshot shows a vehicle that looks almost identical to what the Spectre was in Halo 2.

It's interesting to see where the game went between then and the release on the Xbox. Something I never really gave much thought to was the dynamic checkpoint system in Halo, I guess that was a secret innovation that flies under most radars but it works wonderfully.

Heh - for anyone else who wants to read this for themselves:

http://halo.bungie.org/pressscans/display.html?scan=pcgamer.0800

Tashi0106 said:
xxxxStylesxxxx of NeoGAF says Bioshock 2's MP is, "not that terrible"

LOL glowing review

You've got to give it the Hollywood treatment:

"I've ... [t]horoughly enjoyed ... [the] multiplayer component [of Bioshock 2]."
- NeoGAF.com

Top Bottom