• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

xxjuicesxx said:
Nope

Halo 2 > Reach > Halo 3 > ODST > Wars

CE doesn't count because no MP over Live.

noooo1.gif

My rank of Halo MP's.

CE>H2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Reach>>>>>>H3

feel

Not that Halo 3 was close to perfect or anything, but if you people seriously prefer Reach then...

2py4wup.jpg

Halo is already dead :(

I'm out of this place for the night, hopefully Argentina loses so that at least that lifts up my spirit a bit after this...

Striker

Steelyuhas said:
My rank of Halo MP's.

CE>H2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Reach>>>>>>H3
I like you friend.

ruxtpin

Banned
Crazy question, but I read something that said if you use the regular stick layout and have trouble aiming, switch to southpaw. Might take a couple of weeks to get adjusted, but the site said that using your left thumb would allow you to keep a steady reticle (as opposed to your right thumb moving around when you pulled the right trigger).

Was I just being bullshitted? Anyone ever try this?

darthbob

ruxtpin said:
Crazy question, but I read something that said if you use the regular stick layout and have trouble aiming, switch to southpaw. Might take a couple of weeks to get adjusted, but the site said that using your left thumb would allow you to keep a steady reticle (as opposed to your right thumb moving around when you pulled the right trigger).

Legacy Southpaw up in here!

Tawpgun

lol. I played way more H2 customs than matchmaking so my run ins with modders was minimal. I had a few on my FL that modded for fun which was always great.

Letters said:
Not that Halo 3 was close to perfect or anything, but if you people seriously prefer Reach then...

2py4wup.jpg

Halo is already dead :(

I'm out of this place for the night, hopefully Argentina loses so that at least that lifts up my spirit a bit after this...
Really?

The Halo 3 maps were nothing special.
The netcode was worse than Reach.
The stupid AR/double-pummel dance was horrible.
The equipment was horrible compared to Armour Abilities.

Just a far more boring experience. I couldn't get into it as much as Reach.

FyreWulff

ruxtpin said:

legacysticks.jpg

darthbob said:
Legacy Southpaw up in here!

Legacy bro hi5

Tunavi

Banned
Reach's maps are actually pretty good (BTB got shafted). The bloom, melee system, forge world spam, shitty player movement, loadouts, shitty armor ability implementation, bad weapon placement, and grenades are the things that make the game shitty.

HMMM I SURE HOPE 343 DOES SOMETHING ABOUT ALL THESE ISSUES

darthbob

Tunavi said:
Reach's maps are actually pretty good (BTB got shafted). The bloom, melee system, forge world spam, shitty player movement, loadouts, shitty armor ability implementation, bad weapon placement, and grenades are the things that make the game shitty.

Believe

Striker

Havok said:
Control your raging hormones and get on Reach (after that spectacular XBC failure).
Power went out twice earlier. :lol

I would love to try it. My console was being found before but I had no one on to try getting into games, except the Mexican hosts which I had no business of wanting to join.

FyreWulff

Tunavi said:

If you think the game is so shitty, why have you already played almost 200 games of Reach in July alone? :lol

Havok

Striker said:
Power went out twice earlier. :lol

I would love to try it. My console was being found before but I had no one on to try getting into games, except the Mexican hosts which I had no business of wanting to join.
There are quite a few more rooms going now than before if you want to try again.

Ken

FyreWulff said:
If you think the game is so shitty, why have you already played almost 200 games of Reach in July alone? :lol
Reach is alright in a party, which is how I imagine Tunavi played those 200 games. But still, that's a lot of games lol.

FyreWulff said:
Holy fuck that is alot of games.

I'll always think Halo is great as long as the core gameplay remains intact and doesn't turn into a shallow mess like COD. So Reach is pretty awesome. I'd like to see some elements of H2/H3 carry over - I'm hoping the title update manages this - but Reach is still the best online (console) shooter currently, like the Halo's before it. That said, melee bleed through, bloom, armour lock, grenades - fix this shit and let me own noobs without having to die from lucky grenade/headshot kills.

Tawpgun

Tunavi said:

He has a point. Reflection would be fine without jetpack.
Sword/Hammer would be balanced without Sprint/Evade
Armor Lock is the worst decision in Reach
No more Camo snipers.
Who cares about Hologram
No more sprint melee
No more silly evading
Player movement makes grenades OP
Weapon timers are off

The maps themselves aren't great but without all this shit they should play fine.

Well, I'm back from a wonderful vacation. Didn't take any pics, but the shuttle launch was beyond awesome. And yes, while I did wear my Bungie Aerospace shirt as I watched the launch, I didn't experience any sudden insight into what Crimson could be.

I'm finally caught up on the thread (I was lurking from time to time on my phone). I really need to finish my writeup on why Sword Base is broken (and why I think my Glaive variant improves certain aspects of it).

Tashi... :(
I think I might buy a capture card in remembrance... I think an Intensity Pro should be a fitting memorial.

FYI, a minor update to my Destiny article is incoming. As soon as I hear back from my (secret) source I'll publish the edits and let you guys know. It's nothing big at all, but definitely a tidbit of new info not seen anywhere else yet.

Oh and I'll offer here first:
I have ONE Friday pass for PAX and ONE Sunday pass for PAX up for grabs. I bought them with someone in mind but they are no longer needed. I'm selling the passes at face value ($35 each). It's not first-come-first-served, I reserve the right to pick favorites. (Most likely HaloGAF -> Twitter -> HBO -> any other Halo Community -> Penny Arcade forums. )Send me a PM if interested.

Does anyone know of any good Gephyrophobia remakes? I can't find any and I would love to take some ideas for a spiritual successor I'm making in Forge.

Tunavi

Banned
Plywood said:
When do we start our Halo 4 wishlist?
Now sounds good.
Halo 4
-Give us 10-14 GOOD multiplayer maps at launch. Do not put gimmicky maps in the game.
-Interactive maps that affect strategy.. Switch that opens doors,
-No Gimmicks like zero gravity
-No more Blood Gulch successors. The map has seen its day.
-1 to 50 Ranks.
-Clans in some form, maybe designated teams, squads, groups, ect, integrated within the game.
-Toggle for button combos for combat like BXR. On for Ranked, off for social, optional in customs. Button combos could be VERY skillful, strategical and it would make for interesting gameplay. It wouldn’t be in social/casual gametypes so casual players wouldn’t have to learn how to do it to be able to play.
-Hitscan precision weapons. Works best for netcode and gameplay.
-No bloom.
-No more Invasion. It sucks up too many resources from other necessary gametypes. It will always be there in Reach anyway.
-Focus on Small maps, medium maps, and BTB maps equally.
-Custom game browser. There should be regular social/ranked competitive matchmaking like we have now, and a custom game list browser. This would be great for the community.
-Better DLC implementation.
-Active Roster and overall UI of Reach is amazing, keep that for Halo 4.
-Better quitting regulations. If someone quits before the match, don’t start the match. Restart matchmaking. If the majority of a team quits out, give the shorthanded team the option to back out without a loss or a penalty, give the loss and experience/credit loss to the quitters, and the win to the winners. Match quitters with quitters.
-The map editor MUST be completely restructured. Forge is a create idea and its awesome for customs, but it has completely ruined matchmaking for me. The template is so lackluster, so boring. Very unappealing. Halo is known for its vibrant maps and beautiful settings, forge is totally contradictory to that. It is with Reach and it was with 3.
-Don’t limit the game to one disk. I’d rather have 1 disk for campaign and firefight, and 1 disk for forge and multiplayer. Inconvenient? Yes, but the whole structure of reusing resources in campaign, firefight, and multiplayer does not work. The 8 GB max size limits this, so two disks would be awesome.
-Minimal Kinect Implementation. I know Microsoft will force you to make it part of the game, but don’t make it mandatory, and don’t spend a lot of time developing Kinect for Halo 4.

Edit: These won't happen lol
-Dedicated Servers
-60 FPS
-Cool skyboxes!!!

Tl;dr Make Halo 4 a good game.

FyreWulff said:
Wouldn't that make my opinions about Reach's flaws more credible?

Havok

Tunavi said:
Active Roster needs to be available at any time during the matchmaking process, not just while idling in lobbies. Make it like the Y button Friends menu, have it available with a simple button press that brings up a new overlay with that stuff.

Kuroyume

Banned
Tunavi said:
Now sounds good.
Halo 4
-Give us 10-14 GOOD multiplayer maps at launch. Do not put gimmicky maps in the game.

15 at the very least. None of this 3 small, 1 mid, 4 BTB Invasion, 7 FF crap either. It should be

3 small
4 mid
5 BTB
3 FF

Also, focus on the maps. Enough with the fiction. OhhhhHHHH something is going on above my head... No, nobody cares okay. I have not looked up above my head with the new maps more than once. This skybox stuff is done. It's a dead horse and it smells.

Tunavi said:

YES

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I have one really big one above all else:

Dedicated Servers.

I dream big and I dream often.

Also if it doesn't happen Barrow Roll will owe me a dollar via paypal because I won't be there day one.

MrBig

Focusing on maps, I think one of the biggest problems with Reach's maps is that they aren't specialized, meaning they can do everything but can do nothing well. Look to Halo 2 for inspiration.

Striker

MrBig said:
Focusing on maps, I think one of the biggest problems with Reach's maps is that they aren't specialized, meaning they can do everything but can do nothing well. Look to Halo 2 for inspiration.
What, you don't like a Blood Gulch Forge map being used for Crazy King and Team Headhunter with 16 players?

Plywood said:
I have one really big one above all else:

Dedicated Servers.

I dream big and I dream often.

Also if it doesn't happen Barrow Roll will owe me a dollar via paypal because I won't be there day one.
Oh shit, now it is written. Prepare to eat those words.

MrBig

Striker said:
What, you don't like a Blood Gulch Forge map being used for Crazy King and Team Headhunter with 16 players?
I don't like Countdown being used for BTB headhunter and I don't like Powerhouse being used for flag, and I don't like so many of the combinations in Reach. There is no good objective map. There is no good BTB maps. There is no Headlong or Waterworks successor.

Tunavi said:
Now sounds good.
Halo 4
-Give us 10-14 GOOD multiplayer maps at launch. Do not put gimmicky maps in the game (For example, no zero gravity). Multiplayer has the priority over Firefight.
-Interactive maps that affect strategy.. Switch that opens doors
-No more Blood Gulch successors. The map has seen its day.
-1 to 50 Ranks.
-Clans in some form, maybe designated teams, squads, groups, ect, integrated within the game.
-Toggle for button combos for combat like BXR. On for Ranked, off for social, optional in customs. Button combos could be VERY skillful, strategical and it would make for interesting gameplay. It wouldn’t be in social/casual gametypes so casual players wouldn’t have to learn how to do it to be able to play.
-Hitscan precision weapons. Works best for netcode and gameplay.
-No bloom.
-No more Invasion. It sucks up too many resources from other necessary gametypes. It will always be there in Reach anyway.
-Custom game browser. There should be regular social/ranked competitive matchmaking like we have now, and a custom game list browser. This would be great for the community.
-Better DLC implementation.
-Better quitting regulations. If someone quits before the match, don’t start the match. Restart matchmaking. If the majority of a team quits out, give the shorthanded team the option to back out without a loss or a penalty, give the loss and experience/credit loss to the quitters, and the win to the winners. Match quitters with quitters.
-The map editor MUST be completely restructured. Forge is a create idea and its awesome for customs, but it has completely ruined matchmaking for me. The template is so lackluster, so boring. Very unappealing. Halo is known for its vibrant maps and beautiful settings, forge is totally contradictory to that. It is with Reach and it was with 3.
-Don’t limit the game to one disk. I’d rather have 1 disk for campaign and firefight, and 1 disk for forge and multiplayer. Inconvenient? Yes, but the whole structure of reusing resources in campaign, firefight, and multiplayer does not work. The 8 GB max size limits this, so two disks would be awesome.
-Minimal Kinect Implementation. I know Microsoft will force you to make it part of the game, but don’t make it mandatory, and don’t spend a lot of time developing Kinect for Halo 4.
-Netcode, Netcode, Netcode. Will make or break the game. You have no experience with it as a company, so its going to be tough. Bungie are netcoding veterans, so you have big shoes to fill, 343.

Wouldn't that make my opinions about Reach's flaws more credible?
I almost puked at a few of those suggestions. Namely:

No Blood Gulch - this map is a huge part of Halo, good or bad. It's a massive draw for many players - you only have to look at the votes and join custom matches with the more 'casual' players to see how many people love it. I don't particularly enjoy it - but I'd welcome back in a way similar to Halo 3's take on it - a spiritual successor.

Interactive Maps/switches/doors - it's a gimmick through and through. It was a gimmick in UT/Quake and would be a gimmick in Halo. Keep the focus on the combat and weapon/map control.

Button Combo's - the worst Halo suggestion I have ever seen. It should never return to Halo in any form. I was pretty good at BXR/easy-Combo's in H2 - but it was a glitch, and totally unnecessary. Having it as a toggle/playlist feature would split the population and fuck with balance. It was a cool thing to learn and abuse in Halo 2 - but it needs to stay there.

My suggestions are:

Improved matchmaking - I'm quite happy dealing with the slow speed compared to BF/COD etc - but the quality of the matchups/trueskill is hardly indicative of a good system. Either make it quick and dirty like COD, or extremely accurate like Halo should be. I know there are options in Reach, but it doesn't seem to affect anything too substantial. Start matching squads with squads - there's nothing worse than playing with a group of randoms and getting worked by an awesome team of 3-4.

No Battle Rifle - I want a bloomless DMR for Halo 4. I know it sounds simple, but a single shot rifle is far more appealing and rewarding (IMO) than the 3 burst battle rifle. Don't get me wrong - the battle rifle was amazing - but I'd like to see a new take on the precision rifles for the next Halo game. Returning to the battle rifle would be nice, but not in the least bit exciting.

Maps, maps, maps - spend your resources making a complex forgeworld (smaller scale?) with many environments, pieces, features, decorations and gimmicks/shield-doors/grav-lifts etc. The new community maps are one of the things I love about Reach - bring it back without the boring aesthetic theme, and show the community how it's done, with some high quality remakes and new maps.

PNut

Banned
Sorry for going off-topic but I need some advice from HaloGAF. PM's are welcome.

I've been gaming on a 27" Sony Trinitron since Halo 2 and it finally bit the dust. About a year ago I purchased a 32" Vizio 720p unit and the input lag was so terrible I took it back the same day.

Can anyone recommend me a HD TV 32" or less that has zero input lag? I mean zero. When I push the RB button I want it to instantly melee.

Thanks.

Ken

PNut said:
Sorry for going off-topic but I need some advice from HaloGAF. PM's are welcome.

I've been gaming on a 27" Sony Trinitron since Halo 2 and it finally bit the dust. About a year ago I purchased a 32" Vizio 720p unit and the input lag was so terrible I took it back the same day.

Can anyone recommend me a HD TV 32" or less that has zero input lag? I mean zero. When I push the RB button I want it to instantly melee.

Thanks.
Asus VH236H has minimal input lag but it's a monitor and it's smaller than 32 inches.

Tunavi said:
Toggle for button combos for combat like BXR. On for Ranked, off for social, optional in customs. Button combos could be VERY skillful, strategical and it would make for interesting gameplay. It wouldn’t be in social/casual gametypes so casual players wouldn’t have to learn how to do it to be able to play.

What.

That's like disabling Special Moves and Ultra Combos in Street Fighter because casual players don't know the inputs. It's a terrible answer to balancing players.

Simple solution:

1. No button combos in Halo 4.
2. Patch out any found button combo glitches.
3. Expect all players to at least know about it since they are hardly a secret and if they don't want to perform simple button combos, that's fine but don't prohibit others from doing them.

MrBig

Stripper13 said:

No Blood Gulch - this map is a huge part of Halo, good or bad. It's a massive draw for many players - you only have to look at the votes and join custom matches with the more 'casual' players to see how many people love it. I don't particularly enjoy it - but I'd welcome back in a way similar to Halo 3's take on it - a spiritual successor.
It is true that people like to play on this map for some reason.

Interactive Maps/switches/doors - it's a gimmick through and through. It was a gimmick in UT/Quake and would be a gimmick in Halo. Keep the focus on the combat and weapon/map control.
So starcraft is full of gimmicks, and Halo 2 was full of gimmicks?

Button Combo's - the worst Halo suggestion I have ever seen. It should never return to Halo in any form. I was pretty good at BXR/easy-Combo's in H2 - but it was a glitch, and totally unnecessary. Having it as a toggle/playlist feature would split the population and fuck with balance. It was a cool thing to learn and abuse in Halo 2 - but it needs to stay there.
As a cheat it was terrible, but as a feature (an optional one, maybe as a "pro" gametype, not everywhere) that was fully fleshed out to give a benefit to more skilled player would be good. Not all people are the same, but as long as they all have equal opportunity there is nothing wrong with it.

My suggestions are:

Improved matchmaking - I'm quite happy dealing with the slow speed compared to BF/COD etc - but the quality of the matchups/trueskill is hardly indicative of a good system. Either make it quick and dirty like COD, or extremely accurate like Halo should be. I know there are options in Reach, but it doesn't seem to affect anything too substantial. Start matching squads with squads - there's nothing worse than playing with a group of randoms and getting worked by an awesome team of 3-4.
I don't know what happened in Reach, but the 1-50, strict trueskill ranking in H3 worked well.

No Battle Rifle - I want a bloomless DMR for Halo 4. I know it sounds simple, but a single shot rifle is far more appealing and rewarding (IMO) than the 3 burst battle rifle. Don't get me wrong - the battle rifle was amazing - but I'd like to see a new take on the precision rifles for the next Halo game. Returning to the battle rifle would be nice, but not in the least bit exciting.
Bloomless DMR is a boring BR. It takes more skill/accuracy to land all 3 pellets of the BR than it does to fire and forgot with a bloomless DMR. The DMR was designed with bloom in mind. It doesn't translate.

Maps, maps, maps - spend your resources making a complex forgeworld (smaller scale?) with many environments, pieces, features, decorations and gimmicks/shield-doors/grav-lifts etc. The new community maps are one of the things I love about Reach - bring it back without the boring aesthetic theme, and show the community how it's done, with some high quality remakes and new maps.
Should be at least 2 forgeworld maps in H4, with two different aesthetics. One would be on the Forerunner planet using whatever distinctive stylings are there as long as there is distinctiveness in them. Second should be on Earth with the styling of Exodus with as many user definable colors as possible and be based on Headlong.
bold

ElRenoRaven

Stripper13 said:

My suggestions are:

I agree with you except for having switches etc. I don't mind them when done like they were in Halo 2 in Zanzibar. They shouldn't totally screw you over but should supply some benefit like a path through the windmill or a gate to get a vehicle into the base. Small things like that.

Also Forgeworld if it were to be brought back should be smaller and allow you to forge anywhere on the map. Reach's was so limited. I would have killed to be able to make a map in the cliff side with all the trees.

Tawpgun

Stripper13 said:
As much as I'd like to see button combos implented into a shooter... That made me rage.

Opening the gates/lowering the bridge on Zanzibar
The Teleporter on Relic
Gates in Containment

These things aren't gimmicks if they are of strategic value in multiplayer. These added secondary objectives to maps and gave it more depth.

While some things like the stalactites on Waterworks and the Terminal train could be seen as gimmicks they at least made the maps more interesting. Reach's maps are so goddamn bland and boring.

As for Halo 4 maps, don't even restrict yourself to themes from the campaign. We might not visit Earth in Halo 4 but earth levels would still be welcome.

Sai-kun

Banned
tried LASO, got stuck on the insane turrets/FRG chieftan for an hour, gave up. Fuck this game. :/ That was the least amount of fun I've had in two hours ever. I don't even know why I bothered.

ElRenoRaven

A27 Tawpgun said:
As much as I'd like to see button combos implented into a shooter...

This is what made me rage.

Opening the gates/lowering the bridge on Zanzibar
The Teleporter on Relic
Gates in Containment

These things aren't gimmicks if they are of strategic value in multiplayer. These added secondary objectives to maps and gave it more depth.

While some things like the stalactites on Waterworks and the Terminal train could be seen as gimmicks they at least made the maps more interesting. Reach's maps are so goddamn bland and boring.

As for Halo 4 maps, don't even restrict yourself to themes from the campaign. We might not visit Earth in Halo 4 but earth levels would still be welcome.

Exactly. The interactive bits are one of the things i do think make Halo multiplayer interesting. I also agree don't limit the maps to being set in the game only. Also don't try and put them into the campaign. Go back to the way they're done in Halo 1,2,&3. Make great multiplayer maps and set them in the universe. I don't care where in the Halo universe they are either.

Now firefight maps I can see those coming out of campaign but don't design campaign around firefight maps either. I can think of several spots in Halo, Halo 2, and 3 that would have made great firefight maps and it wasn't intentional.

Speaking of that I really really hope that we could get a firefight map or two as DLC for Anniversary. I know we're getting one but I can think of at least 3 spots that would have made awesome firefight maps. I'd kill to play firefight on them too. So if there is going to be future DLC for it Include a firefight map or two.

ManBearPanda

Neo Member
So I just read on VG247 that Phil Spencer (MGS head) thinks that Halo has "lost its way".

Phil Spencer said:
“What does that mean? Playing Master Chief. We kind of lost our way a little bit, I’ll say. And that’s why I wanted to make sure that at the unveiling of Halo 4, you knew you were playing Master Chief, that John was back. Because Master Chief is the John Wayne character of that universe, and that’s who you want to play.”

It seems he's speaking more specifically to the fiction in Halo, and that casual fans who don't have any real interest in the fiction past the Chief. The comment that excited me far more was,

Phil Spencer said:
“What we said was: ‘let’s get back to what Halo is about’.

So... Save us Phil? :p

Top Bottom