• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

runboli

Neo Member
TrounceX said:
sup

I don't post here much though just a huge lurker.

edit: I'm better than Tashi O_O

haha, well I come from the MLG forums and I'm just wondering if there's any hardcore Reach gamers here. It seems like NeoGAF has a better, more mature, community, so it fits me, cause I don't have much time to play anymore.

runboli

Neo Member
PS: Sorry to double post, but is there a way for me to get notified when someone quotes me? I don't want to have to check all my threads manually

Xaeinovis

Neo Member
I am just cursed with the worst randoms possible in every single playlist.

After some wonderfully terrible teammates in both Team Slayer and Squad Slayer I figured, hey, maybe I should just buckle down and get matched with some hombres in MLG.

Big mistake. Quitters do their thing the second something doesn't go according to plan, and the ones who remain have been helping me out oh-so much by going double-digits negative.

Oy.

Booshka

Stripper13 said:
What! How did Tash get banned? Perma?
1 month ban, for mentioning Liam Neeson in a Taken (Sci-Fi show) Thread.

I also came from MLG Forums (Join Date was in 2005), but I haven't really played MLG Halo seriously since Halo 2, I thought Halo 3 was awful, and Reach I just can't take serious, playing MLG in Reach feels like work to me.

If I want to go super tryhard in a competitive shooter, I just play MLG Shadowrun, the MLG support is totally dead, but there are still people playing on those settings, and I am one of them.

runboli said:
PS: Sorry to double post, but is there a way for me to get notified when someone quotes me? I don't want to have to check all my threads manually
What is your home phone number? Every time someone quotes you I will call your house.

Beyond that you're on your own.

runboli said:
haha, well I come from the MLG forums and I'm just wondering if there's any hardcore Reach gamers here. It seems like NeoGAF has a better, more mature, community, so it fits me, cause I don't have much time to play anymore.
Sweet avatar. I've been to a few Senses Fail shows. Pretty glorious, though I'm not into that music as much these days.

TrounceX

runboli said:

Dude, I am in the exact same position as you right now. Hit me up on live.

GT: Trounce

Actually I'm gonna go remove a bunch of people and free up some spots. Anybody from GAF that wants to add me please do. Thanks.

Edit:

Sai-kun said:
I laughed.

Why is that funny?

The MLG forums are absolutely terrible these days.

Kuroyume

Banned
NullPointer said:
And here's one for my personal wishlist for Halo 4. Don't focus all of the post-release support purely on multiplayer. Reach, ODST and whatever games are to come could use new campaign missions, solo and co-op challenges, and wholly new firefight modes. Give us background story episodes for some of the characters or backstory behind some of the missions.

This whole map pack 1,2,3 thing is just a worn model already and its only led to fewer good maps at release.

y45645.gif

runboli

Neo Member
Booshka said:
1 month ban, for mentioning Liam Neeson in a Taken (Sci-Fi show) Thread.

I also came from MLG Forums (Join Date was in 2005), but I haven't really played MLG Halo seriously since Halo 2, I thought Halo 3 was awful, and Reach I just can't take serious, playing MLG in Reach feels like work to me.

If I want to go super tryhard in a competitive shooter, I just play MLG Shadowrun, the MLG support is totally dead, but there are still people playing on those settings, and I am one of them.

I thought no one played Shadowrun anymore! hit me up, my GT is AzN RunsHouse. I'm a troll player btw.

@ Trounce, I'll send you a FR.

@ Hitmonchan, I love Senses Fail, been listening to them since middle school and they're still good. never got to see them live though

@Duncan, I guess that's one thing the MLG forums have over GAF. Looks like I'll have to stick with one or two threads and watch em regularly

@Sai Kun, I've been lurking for a while, is that not true? tbh, anything must be better than the MLG forums right now. I don't think there's any thoughtful discussion on there

Tunavi

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
You know what they need to fix in the TU? The Rockets not appearing when you roll.
For some odd reason, I love that glitch.

Random thought: I really wish they would put Arena FFA back into the game.

TrounceX

Ramirez said:
AWWWWWWWWW YEA

Too bad he's not here to defend himself. :(

Haha there you are! I remember you from the first time I posted in here :) I think I also said I was better than Tashi then too. Just to see HaloGAF's reaction, of course.

GhaleonEB

Dani said:
Hardcore? Lawls.
I'm the opposite of hardcore. What is that, softcore?

This Firefight Doubles game was a study in contrasts. Me, being methodical, opportunistic and careful; zero deaths. He, crazy jetpacking oft-respawing, 31 times total. I'm sure we both had fun, though spending 2.5 minutes of a 20 minute game waiting to rewpawn would take me down a notch.

I can't help but feel games like that are actually competitions. When Firefight Doubles was announced, I was expecting a bros to the end style game type. Limited is in there, but I've only had the chance to play it a couple times. Most games are Arcadefight, which is also okay with me. But they mostly devolve into who can gobble up the most points, and while I don't try to steal kills, jetpacking FRG dudes seldom have much restraint, bombarding anything I'm putting shots on. Most (but not all) Firefight Doubles partners are, franky, dicks. Which makes games like this, where I can see their frustration mount as I pull away, a bit sweeter.

I find it amusing that it takes a presumably cooperative game of Doubles to bring out my competetive side.

Hopefully we get Bungie's final playlist update tomorrow. (Er, later today that is.)

Ramirez

TrounceX said:
Haha there you are! I remember you from the first time I posted in here :) I think I also said I was better than Tashi then too. Just to see HaloGAF's reaction, of course.

The real question is, who isn't better than Tashi?

Trolling banned people is fun.

FyreWulff

NOKYARD said:
Hopefully it will not be an 'interesting' day for me.

Hopefully I'll be able to take more than one hit from a hammer as a bomb in this update. I swear there's Megalo script in it that says IF BOMB_HOLDER IS GAMERTAG "FYREWULFF" THEN APPLY OS_LEVEL1

FyreWulff

wwm0nkey said:
just came across this video, pretty much a perfect remake of Cold Storage/Chill Out

The scale is inconsistent and my finger is itching to do very obvious and easy object count reduction on that sucker in Forge from looking at it.

Pretty good job though

NullPointer said:
Oh yeah. And its completely insane.

And here's one for my personal wishlist for Halo 4. Don't focus all of the post-release support purely on multiplayer. Reach, ODST and whatever games are to come could use new campaign missions, solo and co-op challenges, and wholly new firefight modes. Give us background story episodes for some of the characters or backstory behind some of the missions.

This whole map pack 1,2,3 thing is just a worn model already and its only led to fewer good maps at release.
I, too, would like to see single-player missions as downloadable content. But not sure how they would make that fit within the context of the campaign.

Ken

Dax01 said:
I, too, would like to see single-player missions as downloadable content. But not sure how they would make that fit within the context of the campaign.
Side stories with other Spartans on Reach, what the rest of Noble Team was doing when they were split up from Six, etc.

Ken

wwm0nkey said:
How about adding that mission where you drive a Scarab?
Wasn't the Scarab supposed to happen after the city is destroyed and Noble rides through said city on the Scarab, which wouldn't work in the current story where Noble evacuates right after the explosion.

They could just release it anyways like Epic did with that cut Gears 2 mission.

Ken said:
Wasn't the Scarab supposed to happen after the city is destroyed and Noble rides through said city on the Scarab, which wouldn't work in the current story where Noble evacuates right after the explosion.

They could just release it anyways like Epic did with that cut Gears 2 mission.
"When we were planning out all of the missions, we knew we were going to have something in a ravaged city. We were not sure if it was going to be just before it was glassed, during, or just after. Initially we wanted to do it after, and we were going to use a Scarab as the means for the player to cross the glassed terrain. So the player was going to work to hijack a Scarab and then be able to control the Scarab across parts of the edges of the glassed city."
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-halo-reach-tech-interview?page=3

The universe of Halo has a lot of sidestories to tell. I would love to see Expansion Pack with a two-three hours campaign and 5new maps. Otherwise it costs more to produce a expansion map. Map-Packs are a lot of cheaper. But every new Zombie-Map in a Black Ops DLC delivers something unique. Something I want to see in a DLC.

Halo 3 had worse
-Main weapon
I'll take the bloom with hitscan over the BR that had 1. undefined leading for shots, even on ONSLAUGHT a small ass map, thats not how bullets fucking work, bullets go really really fucking fast. 2. It had RANDOM bullet spread too, Read that word I made all caps, RANDOM! Why the fuck would I want randomness in the MAIN gun I use? I'm a skilled player and when I shoot shit right I want it to work, and the DMR does that, in SWAT if I wait and get that headshot in,yes, I might die but I will trade kills if I nail that headshot, and thats important to me because I like being rewarded for doing the right thing, not MAYBE being rewarded for doing the right thing like random bullet spread does.
-Terrible playlist management
I'll take Jeremiah over Shishka anyday even though Jeremiah isn't even that great! The maps for 3 might be slightly better than Halo Reach BUT the playlist management was so bad I didn't really have a goto playlist where every map I like. Hell Ghost Town SWAT had an overshield on it for awhile because Shishka overlooked that. WTF is that!? Also see Grifball > Living Dead > Grifball > Living Dead. Constant reuse of the same fucking double exp playlists when there were SO MANY good ideas. Instagib! Like in UT.
- The Maps!
Seriously think back to the H3 thread, people bitched about H2's maps being better than H3's maps because they were, H3 didn't have GREAT maps at all, think Rats Nest, Epitaph! (even though I like that one) Isolation, Construct is a love it or hate it, and Snowbound with the fuckin SHIELD DOORS! and camping with shotgun below! cmon guys that shit sucked so hard. In Reach I can go into Squad Slayer and I'm guaranteed to like most of the maps (Powerhouse, Zealot, and Countdown almost come up everytime, I also don't mind Unanchored either)
- Framerate, the frame rate was terrible in H3, Reach's while bad on certain maps is generally much smoother.
Of course the basics too, theater, graphics, forge, are all obviously improved upon. I also feel Reach's campaign was better than H3's.

H2 still has the best MP and got me hooked on Halo to begin with.

Reach is good , its fun getting on with a group of us here, going into Squad Slayer making sure we get the DMR gametypes and just donging on kids for hours. You can hate armor lock and a whole bunch of shit, well stay out of those fucking playlists then! Go into something else! there's a lot of playlists.

Also Trounce I sent a F/R, I usually just check stats and it seems like you're fucking good, you can probably run some Squad Slayer or something with us.

We need a single shot mid range gun. Basically the DMR but without the bloom. I prefer single shot because if you miss initially, you will be punished. In Halo 3, you could miss the first bullet, and still damage the opponent with 2 bullets. I think the former takes more skill.

Oh hey, that reminds me of the CE pistol.

KidA Seven said:
We need a single shot mid range gun. Basically the DMR but without the bloom. I prefer single shot because if you miss initially, you will be punished. In Halo 3, you could miss the first bullet, and still damage the opponent with 2 bullets. I think the former takes more skill.

Oh hey, that reminds me of the CE pistol.

What we really need is the option to turn bloom off. Apparently you can't do that without changing the map files or something
?

So release a new weapon...that is the DMR with no bloom on a new Forge World map, so any player can forge a map with that weapon. Make it a really colorful FW map. You know so the maps can stop sucking ass.

Tawpgun

FyreWulff said:
Nah, Horde and Campaign are basically the only two playable modes in Gears. The multiplayer has always been a trainwreck since 1 which from my playing of the beta, doesn't seem to have changed much.

I pretty much exclusively play Horde in 2, and I'm actually planning on never even touching multiplayer in 3. Horde and Beast all day errday
I'm sorry but wat.

You can have your opinion but don't try and call Gear's MP a trainwreck. ESPECIALLY after the GoW3 Beta, which was glorious and had a level of consistency only found in Reach.

You CAN say you didn't like it. At first I hated Gears gameplay. Being always stuck to the ground, rolling and shotgunning... But I realized players saw something special in it. It's a completley unique game with nothing else like it.

And now that I got decent at it it's a helluva lot of fun.

As for Halo related post, I hope Firefight Versus comes back as a massive 16 (or whatever max players is) gametype (fixing lag hopefully)

There is a squad of 4 or more Spartans chosen, and they face off against player controlled enemies. Ranging from grunts, to engineers, to hunters and elites. Or whatever the new enemies are in H4.

FyreWulff

A27 Tawpgun said:
I'm sorry but wat.

You can have your opinion but don't try and call Gear's MP a trainwreck. ESPECIALLY after the GoW3 Beta, which was glorious and had a level of consistency only found in Reach.

You CAN say you didn't like it. At first I hated Gears gameplay. Being always stuck to the ground, rolling and shotgunning... But I realized players saw something special in it. It's a completley unique game with nothing else like it.

And now that I got decent at it it's a helluva lot of fun.

As for Halo related post, I hope Firefight Versus comes back as a massive 16 (or whatever max players is) gametype (fixing lag hopefully)

There is a squad of 4 or more Spartans chosen, and they face off against player controlled enemies. Ranging from grunts, to engineers, to hunters and elites. Or whatever the new enemies are in H4.

KotH was improved in the Gears 3 beta, Retro Lancer is great, but the Sawed-Off snatched defeat from the jaws of victory for multiplayer. So, Gears multiplayer is still a trainwreck. Add to the fact that Epic STILL sees fit to spawn you inside a room with one way out and the other team is sitting just outside the door spawnkilling you, and I don't really see any reason to try and give it a third chance.

You're not going to see 16 man Firefight unless you want the AI to be really boring.

The AI in Halo is entirely not networkable; it's virtually impossible to make as expressive an AI as we had with an asynchronous model.

Source

kylej

Banned
FyreWulff said:
ueIzo.jpg

Where people exploit the listing browser and use it as a fucking spam billboard for their website.

Why would Bungie allow people to choose how they want to play? It's 2011, y'all. Custom game lobbies are pretty new, give them time. Makes much more sense to force everyone into playlists curated by one guy who doesn't play Reach.

Tawpgun

FyreWulff said:
KotH was improved in the Gears 3 beta, Retro Lancer is great, but the Sawed-Off snatched defeat from the jaws of victory for multiplayer. So, Gears multiplayer is still a trainwreck. Add to the fact that Epic STILL sees fit to spawn you inside a room with one way out and the other team is sitting just outside the door spawnkilling you, and I don't really see any reason to try and give it a third chance.

You're not going to see 16 man Firefight unless you want the AI to be really boring.

Source
The sawed off was a bit annoying... But it got a nerf. The most broken gun was the damn retro. Hipfiring that thing turned it into a death beam of bullets. It was far to powerful and thankfully got a nerf as well.

As for the maps, those issues got addressed as well. The entire geometry of some maps are changing. I wish Bungie could have done the same with sword base or the Boneyard base. Spawning has been addressed as well. It was a successful BETA. The most important thing that came out of it was a fantastic netcode, dedicated servers, and a perfect gnasher, which is Gears' BR: The go to gun.

Almost all gears players love where 3 is going. Its the perfect sequel MP wise. No gimmicks, just refinement of what makes it awesome. I hope this is the direction Halo 4 goes.

Top Bottom