• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Steelyuhas said:
Yeah not sure if its worth ending my glorious retirement haha.

Grenade Launcher or Shotgun in the 'Basement' (bottom mid) on Zealot would work pretty well I think. As for Countdown, what you originally came up with would work pretty well I think. Grenade Launcher where the shotgun was, Focus Rifle where the Sword was, and Concussion stays were it is. I don't know what the hell to do with Boardwalk...

Speaking of our epic blaze of glory that we exited Reach with, the video has about 1,800 downloads on Bnet and 2,200 views on Youtube. I have been offered MS points in exchange for someone to commentate the gameplay lol, and I had no less than about 20 FR and messages when I got on Xbox last night from randoms asking about that game lol.

Internet fame
focus rifle is pretty useless though. No one would pick it up. How about Jetpack where sword is?

MrBig said:
I've gotten like 10 FR's, as well as people challenging me to fight them. That was such a bad game for me I don't even know why.

Has bungie contacted you about the steaks yet? The terms said they would by today but I haven't heard anything from them.

Yeah lol I had several messages that just said "1 v 1". Not even a question mark.

I haven't had any contact about the steaks.

Tunavi said:
lol someone took a picture of the rocket you miraculously dodged at the beginning! Also, Kwatz saved your ass at 2:00 with the hologram haha. And no one on our team went for the initial rocket spawn... And if anyone was wondering how the post-game conversation was, it went something like this
(Hitmonchan is Alan)
lol thats awesome. Hitmonchan as Alan haha.

thezerofire said:
focus rifle is pretty useless though. No one would pick it up. How about Jetpack where sword is?
Although it was nerfed pretty hard after the beta it is in no way useless. Jetpack is not used as a pickup in default Reach, I want to consider realistic weapon placement spawns on the map that should be legitimately considered for being in the MM variant.

Plus, why would you place the jetpack at the highest point on the map? Not very helpful there.

darthbob

GhaleonEB said:
Oregon here as well, same situation. I'm going under the assumption that it will be cancelled.

Urk mentioned that they were going to try their best to fulfill those orders...

If nothing else, I guess stocking the bags with other store swag would be cool. But if that fails, refund. :'(

btw: Where in Oregon? I live close enough to Portland to almost consider myself a part of it lol

Steelyuhas said:
Although it was nerfed pretty hard after the beta it is in no way useless. Jetpack is not used as a pickup in default Reach, I want to consider realistic weapon placement spawns on the map that should be legitimately considered for being in the MM variant.

Plus, why would you place the jetpack at the highest point on the map? Not very helpful there.
because it takes longer to get to

Ken said:
Not in close quarters.
still, the cooldown time makes a lot of other weapons preferable to it

Tunavi said:
lol someone took a picture of the rocket you miraculously dodged at the beginning! Also, Kwatz saved your ass at 2:00 with the hologram haha. And no one on our team went for the initial rocket spawn... And if anyone was wondering how the post-game conversation was, it went something like this
(Hitmonchan is Alan)
That video barely scratched the surface. As emotions soared like a screaming bald eagle over the plains of victory, I heard those words that still haunt my dreams like a feral lover:

"Hey, back out."

My first conversation with Bungie. It was a beautiful moment I will cherish forever.

thezerofire said:
because it takes longer to get to

If you are going to put a jetpack on the map as a pickup, you want to put it in a useful location though. Then, the team that is able to get the jetpack gets that player faster passage to the top of the map. If you put the jetpack at the top of the map, then no one is going to care.

Hitmonchan107 said:
That video barely scratched the surface. As emotions soared like a screaming bald eagle over the plains of victory, I heard those words that still haunt my dream like a feral lover:

"Hey, back out."

My first conversation with Bungie. It was a beautiful moment I will cherish forever.
Yeah they had no interest in sharing a few words with us.

They mad bro

Ken

thezerofire said:
still, the cooldown time makes a lot of other weapons preferable to it

You're doing it wrong if it overheats and the enemies around you aren't reduced to crispy bacon bits.

4585445219_4d54c702a4.jpg

Focus rifle is so powerful it takes two Spartans to properly use it.

Steelyuhas said:
If you are going to put a jetpack on the map as a pickup, you want to put it in a useful location though. Then, the team that is able to get the jetpack gets that player faster passage to the top of the map. If you put the jetpack at the top of the map, then no one is going to care.
that's true. Countdown would be better if there were legs up to sword, like on Construct, it's big brother

Ken said:
You're doing it wrong if it overheats and the enemies around you aren't reduced to crispy bacon bits.
I mean if you let go of the trigger

A27 Tawpgun said:
Isn't it 20k posts? If so we're down to the last page or last 2 depending on what post per page you're using.

Suggestions for next thead title time?
I think Ghaleon said the next thread title was going to be something about Armor locking, I forgot what it was right now, but it was an instant classic.

darthbob

A27 Tawpgun said:
Isn't it 20k posts? If so we're down to the last page or last 2 depending on what post per page you're using.

100 Posts Per Page, Glourious Reading Race.

Would anyone like to help me get my last ODST Firefight achievement?

I need 200,000 points on Security Zone. I hate trying to get par by myself. It's such a tedious task.

Edit: I think I have a group ready. Thanks, though.

MrBig

A27 Tawpgun said:

It is 20k, which is 10 pages away at 100 ppp

Blinding

fmlcantdomaths

For the past two weeks now I've been getting matched up with teams of 4 constantly when going in solo, which doesn't really seem right.

zumphry

Banned
Hitmonchan107 said:
Would anyone like to help me get my last ODST Firefight achievement?

I need 200,000 points on Security Zone. I hate trying to get par by myself. It's such a tedious task.

Edit: I think I have a group ready. Thanks, though.

If I'm able to get in I call Spartan Laser.

MrBig

Blinding said:
Your post number was 19022, and at 100 ppp that would make it 1 page away from 20k, unless there's something about post numbers that I don't know about.
19122 posts is not 20000 posts.

more filler posts like these and we'll be there in no time

Am I the only one who likes Countdown?

I don't think it's a brilliant map, but I choose it fairly often as it's fast paced and fun. The 5 lifts negate some of the shotgun/sword camping as there is plenty of options. I'd love to see the grenade launcher and focus rifle replace them - as suggested earlier. I'd also like to see something down about the holes in the floor on each side. Maybe if you could jump up through there/access it from below. I know it won't happen - but it gets annoying watching someone get a sword spree by dropping through the floor several times in a row.

MrBig said:
Powerhouse is the best map in Reach.

I never play it because it's mainly in team slayer
You wouldn't play it anyway, no one votes for it because it's not camping in Swordbase or a terrible Forge World map. I downloaded the Reach demo to get more Powerhouse games in.

GhaleonEB

Playing One Bomb in Premium Battle on Condemned, I pick up the sniper rifle and get betrayed for it (I didn't see the other guy going for it). However, because I'd taken some damage from the opposing sniper, it doesn't count as a betrayal so I can't boot the guy. I was debating my response awaiting respawn...and then this happens.

This is the third person view showing how it played out.

I've never seen the spawn system deal out karma like this before. This made my day.

So good.

GhaleonEB said:
Playing One Bomb in Premium Battle on Condemned, I pick up the sniper rifle and get betrayed for it (I didn't see the other guy going for it). However, because I'd taken some damage from the opposing sniper, it doesn't count as a betrayal so I can't boot the guy. I was debating my response awaiting respawn...and then this happens.

This is the third person view showing how it played out.

I've never seen the spawn system deal out karma like this before. This made my day.

So good.
Amazing! :lol Wow that was insanely handy!

I think powerhouse, sword base, countdown, zealot and boardwalk are all good maps. They're certainly not the best of Halo - but they've grown on me. I'd remove the low grav area on zealot, the shrubs/trees on boardwalk, the tiny lift room in sword base and the hammer in powerhouse - in a heartbeat. But otherwise they're all really fun maps with lots of options.

The forgeworld maps vary, but Aslyum, precipice, kingdom, treasury, enclosed and uncaged are all really enjoyable maps. I think Enclosed ranks somewhere among the best Halo maps in the series. I think the only awful forgeworld maps are pinnacle, think twice and affinity. While certainly playable they tend to turn into power weapon domination matches - and they all have 'ideal' areas for the winning team to hold - it makes many areas of the map fairly worthless or overly dangerous.

As for the Halo MP Rankings:

Halo 2 before modding > Reach > Halo 3 > CE > ODST > Wars > Halo 2 during modding.

Reach is nice. Very nice.

Tawpgun

I'll say one thing about Reach and Halo 3.

I can't go back to Halo 3. Not after hitscan and this netcode.

But I had more fun on Halo 3 for sure. Much less bullshit and more fair.

darthbob

Stripper13 said:
I laughed plenty during Halo 2's modding phase - but it turned into an unplayable mess on Live, at least whenever I was on.

Unfortunately, that was the case for what seemed like so many people.

Halo 2 was nigh unplayable in late 2005-early 2006 after all. (at least to MY recollection)

darthbob said:
Unfortunately, that was the case for what seemed like so many people.

Halo 2 was nigh unplayable in late 2005-early 2006 after all. (at least to MY recollection)
I can't recall exactly when I was playing - it wasn't near launch. I enjoyed it thoroughly for some time, but I know that later on every single match involved 1 of 3 things.

1: Massive lag - either a result of matching me to faraway lands like the US, or modding causing shit to go crazy
2: Modding - invincible enemies, super battle rifles, crazy vehicles - you name it, I saw it
3: Domination - I'm not sure whether the Australian userbase at that time had filtered down to the hardcore Halo crazies, or if they were messing around with their rankings, but no ranks/trueskill could save me from Clan/Group rape over and over.

A truly awful game by the end - it's why I don't hold it in the same regard as many other Halo fans. I'd take bloom and armour lock over Halo 2's end result, without hesitation.

Top Bottom