• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

GhaleonEB said:
Analogy time.

James Cameron is my favorite film director, and Terminator 1 and 2 are among my favorite films. I've never seen the subsequent two movies in the series. The reason being, nothing I saw or read about them made me want to see them. The reason I love T1 and T2 because of the way they were made, not the title. I'm a Cameron fan, not a Terminator fan. So I approach his next endeavor with frothing desire, not the next Terminator film.

So to with Bungie. Halo made me a Bungie fan, not a Halo fan. So I'm in line day 0 for whatever Bungie is cooking up, and I approach the next Halo with cautious optimism; it's from a new team that's never done a game together before. If it looks good, I'll get it. If not, I'll move on.

(Believe it or not, I'm not currently sold on CEA. The strength of the Firefight map and the depth of the TU changes and how they affect the classic maps will seal it for me; otherwise, I'll be blissfully playing Skyrim.)
I used to follow any director whose work I loved, regardless of the material. Cameron was one of them, until I was was beset upon by the horror that was Titanic (I actually had problems with T2, but they went mostly overlooked by comparison). Now I don't really follow any director with such devoted passion, I feel that I have to know more about the material, actors involved, writers, etc. to get my viewership. I feel the same has to be applied to both 343 and Bungie; you've got my attention guys, let's see what you're going to do with it before I blindly plop down some Special Edition monies.

op_ivy said:
Out of curiosity, which unveiling is HaloGAF more excited for - Bungie's new IP or Halo 4?
A new IP is an exotic entree. It's hard for me to sink my teeth in if I don't have the previous knowledge of the taste to support my decision.

It doesn't matter what "Halo 4" brings to the table, because at its core will be nearly the same sensory experiences. It might be spiced differently, but the main ingredients will be the same.

That said, I'm going with the new IP. I found one of my favorite games of all time, "Star Wars: Battlefront," by giving Pandemic the benefit of the doubt based on its past experience, namely "Full Spectrum Warrior." Bungie's history is ripe with success, and the involvement of Jason Jones is the biggest draw of all.

And I find the little tidbits coming out about "Destiny" more intriguing than what's being said about "Halo 4." Maybe I'm getting tired of the taste.

Don't think I won't squeal like a schoolgirl at PAX, though.

GhaleonEB said:
Analogy time.

James Cameron is my favorite film director, and Terminator 1 and 2 are among my favorite films. I've never seen the subsequent two movies in the series. The reason being, nothing I saw or read about them made me want to see them. The reason I love T1 and T2 because of the way they were made, not the title. I'm a Cameron fan, not a Terminator fan. So I approach his next endeavor with frothing desire, not the next Terminator film.

So to with Bungie. Halo made me a Bungie fan, not a Halo fan. So I'm in line day 0 for whatever Bungie is cooking up, and I approach the next Halo with cautious optimism; it's from a new team that's never done a game together before. If it looks good, I'll get it. If not, I'll move on.

(Believe it or not, I'm not currently sold on CEA. The strength of the Firefight map and the depth of the TU changes and how they affect the classic maps will seal it for me; otherwise, I'll be blissfully playing Skyrim.)

Couldn't agree more.

Tunavi

Banned
PLAYLISTS

General
* Removed Rebirth from all playlists
* Added community maps Chateau, Eden Minor and Renova to Team Slayer

Premium Battle
* All objective gametypes in Premium Battle now use the Big Team variants
* Removed Hot Potato from Premium Battle

Team Objective
* All gametyes in Team Objective now feature DMR/AR starts (excluding Classic and Pro variants)
* Integrated 3 Flag, 2 Flag Slayer and Speedflag into Team Objective

Grifball
* Updated with latest maps and gametypes from Grifballhub.com

MLG
* Removed MLG King on MLG Zealot

MAPS

Sword Base
* Soft kill added to small ledge

Zealot (not Arena Zealot)
* Soft kills added to specific locations in space

Boardwalk
* Both Sniper Rifles now spawn at 180s with 2 spare clips

Anchor 9 / Unanchored
* Rocket Launcher now spawns at 180s with 1 spare clip

Mt. Lam Lam
* Removed Camo powerup

GAMETYPES

General
* Slayer DMRs game variants now use the default vehicle set
* Big Team Assault gametypes now use 3 second arm time
http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=63034255

DMR starts in Objective = My new home. (it kind of already was but this just seals the deal)

Edit: However, one concern, Jeremiah. Why didn't you take evade of Objective? We all asked for it to be taken out.

ElRenoRaven

GhaleonEB said:
Analogy time.

Get out of my head. You nailed how I feel perfectly. I'm taking a wait and see. Just because the game is Halo doesn't mean I'm going to automatically buy it. 343i has to win me over first. Bungie on the other hand hasn't made a game I haven't loved yet. So I'll buy whatever their next game is without a doubt.

senador

Banned
Boardwalk
* Both Sniper Rifles now spawn at 180s with 2 spare clips

Anchor 9 / Unanchored
* Rocket Launcher now spawns at 180s with 1 spare clip

General
* Slayer DMRs game variants now use the default vehicle set
* Big Team Assault gametypes now use 3 second arm time

Brilliant! 180s respawn is an increase for Sniper yeah? Looks like by a full minute. I was just complaining about Boardwalk snipe and Anchor 9 rockets spawns the other day.

Also glad to see DMR starts now have hogs instead of geese. TO DMR starts will be awesome too. I'll be in there more often.

One more update from them yeah? Kinda hoping they slide a removal of Armor Lock across the board in there and go out in style.

GhaleonEB

Sigh. Firefight ignored in the last playlist update, and there were a set of very simple but needed fixes Jeremiah was made aware of.

Please don't ignore Firefight, 343.

Yay to the rest of the changes, some good all around clean up. Assault in particular....no more drive bys on Breakpoint.

Tunavi

Banned
Hey You said:
Why would he do that?
Because we asked for it.
When EVERYONE can spawn with evade, it makes for bad gameplay. Everyone jumping around like frogs is just ridiculous. Its hard to finish kills with people jumping to cover. And it they have a shotgun/sword, its way overpowered.

senador

Banned
Some days I hate Evade much more than Armor Lock.

Hey You said:
:(

I'm one of the few that love Evade I guess.

You don't feel its unbalanced or cheap? Its not the CQC that pisses me off, its when I get someone to one shot and they roll backward as I am about to melee, or roll in circles til their shield comes back, or plain roll away. At least sprint is a constant speed and direction.

I think its perfectly fine for large Elites, but I don't think Spartans should have ever been able to use it save for special gametypes like Grifball.

GhaleonEB said:
Analogy time.

I 100% agree with this. I got more hyped reading the recent article about Bungie's various Destiny hints than I did for that Halo 4 trailer (by a long shot). So much mouth-watering potential. As for the remake, we'll call it CE: ehhhh...

I'm back from my self-imposed exile (actually work/real-life imposed). At least I blend in with all the new juniors.

I missed you fellas.

Kuroyume said:
So frustrating... 343 bring it back and just give these babies an option to mute the announcer. Flag games now pale in comparison to what they were when you could pull and move the flag out really fast like in the old games.

Why not let us choose our own announcer? Sort of like having your own Firefight voice. Make the default Seitzer (Steitzer? Seltzer? sp?zer?) and let us cR-buy/unlock Cortana, Johnson, John 117, etc. Then make one option Mute. Come on' 343, there's still time!

Evade works with Elites, in Invasion. With the Spartans it is awful.

Playlist changes look good, I think I'll come out of retirement for some TO today. Hopefully the DMR start will increase the population enough that when I go in by myself, I'm not guaranteed to play a team of 4.

Bregmann Roche said:
I'm back from my self-imposed exile (actually work/real-life imposed). At least I blend in with all the new juniors.

I missed you fellas.

Why not let us choose our own announcer? Sort of like having your own Firefight voice. Make the default Seitzer (Steitzer? Seltzer? sp?zer?) and let us cR-buy/unlock Cortana, Johnson, John 117, etc. Then make one option Mute. Come on' 343, there's still time!
Stacker would be pretty funny

GhaleonEB said:
Analogy time.

I almost feel the same way, but based on Reach im not sure im the demographic Bungie is catering for. Im also a Halo fan foremost and then a Bungie fan, so right now to answer the original question - im personally more excited for Halo 4.

like Ghaleon im not sold on Halo CE either, there are just too many good games coming out to justify rebuying a 10 year old classic thats already sitting pretty in my collection. The new stuff needs to be amazing for me to really be there day one.

bobs99 ... said:
I almost feel the same way, but based on Reach im not sure im the demographic Bungie is catering for. Im also a Halo fan foremost and then a Bungie fan, so right now to answer the original question - im personally more excited for Halo 4.

like Ghaleon im not sold on Halo CE either, there are just too many good games coming out to justify rebuying a 10 year old classic thats already sitting pretty in my collection. The new stuff needs to be amazing for me to really be there day one.

Depends how good the TU is for me I think. Playing maps like Beaver Creek will be awesome, and if Reach is improved significantly, I could see myself really getting into Reach again.

Soooooo many good games this fall though.

Havok

Tunavi said:
Edit: However, one concern, Jeremiah. Why didn't you take evade of Objective? We all asked for it to be taken out.
This would have been my number one priority fix, orders of magnitude above DMR starts (which will just exacerbate the lack of skill in any random I'm unlucky enough to be matched up with). Maybe next month? The Halo Playlist Cycle continues.

feel

Got my bag
2n1tm4p.jpg

Posted all the pics in the other thread, check the post out if curious, nothing too exciting though
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29259137&postcount=527

Letters said:
Got my bag
http://i52.tinypic.com/2n1tm4p.jpg[IMG]

Posted all the pics in the other thread, check the post out if curious, nothing too exciting though
[url]http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29259137&postcount=527[/url][/QUOTe]
I want that wallet.

Woah reading back through the thread there are people who like Reach more than Halo 3!?? Juices likes Reach more than Halo 3, wtf!?? Juices are you just lieing so that Sage will hire you? I always thought the hire Juices thing was a joke but now I think you would be perfect. :p

Im not sure I understand how the DMR's bloom is fine considering you seem to hate randomness so much. Sure the BR spread was inconsistant, but in my opinion was far better than the bloom. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Stripper13 said:
Really?

The Halo 3 maps were nothing special.
The netcode was worse than Reach.
The stupid AR/double-pummel dance was horrible.
The equipment was horrible compared to Armour Abilities.

Just a far more boring experience. I couldn't get into it as much as Reach.

In my opinion Equipment where far better than armour abilities, and I never had any issues with the stupid AR double beatdown nonsense because I knew better and never used the AR lol. As for the maps, compared to Reach the maps are a whole level above what Reach has to offer.

You right about the netcode, but to be honest before Reach everyone was used to it, and while there was bullshit, it felt ok at the time, it was fun, definatly didnt feel as bad as it feels now 3 years later with games with far superior netcode putting things into perspective.

Striker

Hey You said:
:(

I'm one of the few that love Evade I guess.

Is the Halo Bulletin today? Hopefully we'll get details of the transition.
Do you use the Sword or Shotgun alot in 4v4? Then of course Evade is your preference.

With Objective getting the fringe gametypes added in, I might want to play Premium Battle or BTB more often. The 3-second arm time should be better, at least.

The problem with Objective wasn't AR/Pistol starts necessarily, but the awful Pro editions. Instead of Pro, it should just be, for example, 1 Flag Pro to 1 Flag DMRs, because in Pro it eliminates certain power weapons but not all. This gives blue team the short stick in Reflection with the Sword being gone, but the red team gets Rockets and Shotgun. And for small maps, 1-bomb/flag Fast is better with faster reset times for flag and bomb.

The other problems were the absence of new maps. They took out Hemorrhage and added nothing. Evade is totally broken on smaller maps so it has many guys having Shotgun/Sword often as their TOD. Remove Pro, Evade, and add new maps = success.

Will hope 343 realizes this sooner than later.

kylej

Banned
op_ivy said:
Out of curiosity, which unveiling is HaloGAF more excited for - Bungie's new IP or Halo 4?

Halo 4. Halo 3, ODST, and Reach were nowhere near as good as they could and should have been. I think that's less a reflection on Bungie as a developer and more them being completely burned out on the Halo franchise.

The team behind H4 is too awesome to not be hyped.

i LOVE how people are trying to say that flag juggling killed objective. WRONG.

One more time in case you still don't know:

OBJECTIVE IS A JOKE BECAUSE NO ONE WILL DO ANYTHING ABOUT BROKEN ASS SUDDEN DEATH. ITS NOT SUDDEN DEATH SO DON'T CALL IT SUDDEN DEATH.

Objective has sucked after Halo 2, a little bit in 3 (Thank god there were still ranks in the playlist), and it completely blows in Reach.

Fix the actual problem please.

senador

Banned
Lead Based Paint said:

OBJECTIVE IS A JOKE BECAUSE NO ONE WILL DO ANYTHING ABOUT BROKEN ASS SUDDEN DEATH. ITS NOT SUDDEN DEATH SO DON'T CALL IT SUDDEN DEATH.

Objective has sucked after Halo 2, a little bit in 3 (Thank god there were still ranks in the playlist), and it completely blows in Reach.

I don't think anyone said flag juggling killed Objective. I did say the announcer annoyed me quite a bit.

What I think killed Objective is.....no one wants to play it. Most people just want to get kills. I think all the tweaks will help make it more fun, but I don't think it will increase the population.

I think doing more Super Jackpots in TO, and also increasing the game complete payout, or winning bonus for that playlist would help.

I like TO but the party I usually play with doesn't really and its no fun to play alone.

kylej said:
Halo 4. Halo 3, ODST, and Reach were nowhere near as good as they could and should have been. I think that's less a reflection on Bungie as a developer and more them being completely burned out on the Halo franchise.

The team behind H4 is too awesome to not be hyped.

Im not sure if this was just a rumour, but I remember reading that when Bungie split from Microsoft part of the deal was that they had to make 2 more Halo games before they moved on. ODST and Reach seem like shoe ins just to complete the contract and get the hell outta there to me.* If anything I wouldnt be suprised if the Bungie A team was working on the new IP the whole time on the sly.

So im not really sure, Bungies new IP could end up being awesome.

* - The funny thing is, that I say that whilst still considering Reach and ODST to be A* quality games. Reach coming from any other developer would have had an amazing feature set. Which I think speaks volumes about what we are used to from Bungie and how much higher they're usual quality is compared to everyone else out there. What im trying to say is, when a company produces something really good which is still considered a dissapointment, then you know the usual quality of games are going to be amazing.

Striker

ODST wasn't something they *had* to do if I remember right. So that would leave Halo 3 and Halo Reach.

senador said:
What I think killed Objective is.....no one wants to play it. Most people just want to get kills. I think all the tweaks will help make it more fun, but I don't think it will increase the population.
Team Skirmish was plenty healthy and populated in Halo 2. Probably because it had everything. Great maps, fantastic fun gametypes, and ranks. It's gone to shit since, there has been issues everywhere.

Striker said:
ODST wasn't something they *had* to do if I remember right. So that would leave Halo 3 and Halo Reach.

But the split from Microsoft was long after Halo 3 came out, I seem to remember it being before ODST was announced, but thinking back wasn't it Microsoft who ruined the ODST announcement which was the catalyst for Bungie splitting from Microsoft?

In that case the whole 2 game contract thing is probably totally wrong.

Would it be fair to say the ODST thing was a catalyst for Bungie to split from MS? I know things where bubbling over before that, but it seems like thats when a lot of the tensions boiled over?

Havok

Lead Based Paint said:

If nothing else, flag returns and sudden death should be proximity-based. Accidentally dropping the flag and scrambling to pick it up before SD ends or having the counter hit 0 when you're half a foot away and the pickup hasn't kicked in yet is infuriating. I don't necessarily think it should go back to infinite SD time while you hold the objective, though. That was ruined by assholes holding the bomb in a hiding place.

senador said:
I don't think anyone said flag juggling killed Objective. I did say the announcer annoyed me quite a bit.

I think doing more Super Jackpots in TO, and also increasing the game complete payout, or winning bonus for that playlist would help.

I like TO but the party I usually play with doesn't really and its no fun to play alone.

You're missing the point. This is something that was fine in Halo 2 outside of Glitching(Which doesn't exist in 3 or Reach) and then was taken out for no reason and without any explanation.

Whats worse is that they didn't even change the name. Its a freakin slap in the face. Sudden Death? Really close to scoring and tying and/or winning? LOL NOPE THE GAMES OVER TOO BAD LOLOLOLOL.

Who the fucks wants to play objective when that happens almost every time you fucking play.

EDIT: Not only that, but they took away the beautiful timer system on the Flag and Bomb Hud icons from 2. Where there was a little bar indicating the return timer on the objective. And if you could get close enough, the timer would pause.

WHAT WAS WRONG WITH THAT SYSTEM. IT WAS SO GOOD.

bobs99 ... said:
Im not sure if this was just a rumour, but I remember reading that when Bungie split from Microsoft part of the deal was that they had to make 2 more Halo games before they moved on. ODST and Reach seem like shoe ins just to complete the contract and get the hell outta there to me.* If anything I wouldnt be suprised if the Bungie A team was working on the new IP the whole time on the sly.

* - The funny thing is, that I say that whilst still considering Reach and ODST to be A* quality games. Reach coming from any other developer would have had an amazing feature set. Which I think speaks volumes about what we are used to from Bungie and how much higher they're usual quality is compared to everyone else out there. What im trying to say is, when a company produces something really good which is still considered a dissapointment, then you know the usual quality of games are going to be amazing.

Remember that Destiny sign in ODST? I bet you they WERE.

Hey You

bobs99 ... said:
But the split from Microsoft was long after Halo 3 came out, I seem to remember it being before ODST was announced, but thinking back wasn't it Microsoft who ruined the ODST announcement which was the catalyst for Bungie splitting from Microsoft?

In that case the whole 2 game contract thing is probably totally wrong.

Would it be fair to say the ODST thing was a catalyst for Bungie to split from MS? I know things where bubbling over before that, but it seems like thats when a lot of the tensions boiled over?
I thought they announced the separation in 2007 and wasn't ODST planned to be announced at E3 2008?

Miggytronz

bobs99 ... said:

Highly agree here.

ElRenoRaven

Hey You said:
I thought they announced the separation in 2007 and wasn't ODST planned to be announced at E3 2008?

They announced the seperation right before Halo 3 released. Hell it was like a month or so before if I remember right. Everything I've read said that they had to make two more games for Microsoft. Those of course being ODST and Reach.

And yes ODST wasn't planned. It came about due to the Peter Jackson Halo project dying and the team that was helping him having nothing to do. Instead of rejoining the main team they decided to make a smaller game with the short amount of time they had. They then went through ideas till they settled on the ODSTs and hence we got Halo 3: ODST.

If anyone at GAF has sent me a friend request in the last week or is going to, can you guys include a message that just says your from GAF. My internet fame has me getting 10 requests a day lol, and naturally I just reject them, but I wouldn't want to reject an GAF'ers.

-Yeti said:
Bad as in overpowered, or bad as in weak sauce?

Because I think the grenades are like mini-nukes. So annoying.

I see them go past me at at least waist to chest level on my screen, I am running and jumping forward, feels likes I am so far away and then.....

-Yeti said:
Bad as in overpowered, or bad as in weak sauce?

Because I think the grenades are like mini-nukes. So annoying.

Bad as in obviously OP. Fuse time is instant, blast radius is huge. Combine that with slow killing weapons, maps with small alleys/hallways, and the limited movement options and the grenades make no sense at all.

Also, TO solo is still pretty horrifying. I didn't heed Tunavi's warning.

Kuroyume

Banned
Tunavi said:

He loves Evade. Evade is more common now than it was at launch. Dude just took Armor Lock out (after much deserved bitching) and replaced it with something worse.

I just want the 343 guy who takes control to hate Evade as much as we all do.

Steelyuhas said:
Bad as in obviously OP. Fuse time is instant, blast radius is huge. Combine that with slow killing weapons and the limited movement options and the grenades make no sense at all.

Also, TO solo is still pretty horrifying. I didn't heed Tunavi's warning.

I was one of those guys that liked them in the beta although I also asked for them to limit their respawn and only allow players to carry one at a time. Anyway, I played a few games the other day and it was incredibly annoying. It's like people are more likely to use grenades to kill someone rather than their gun. I would trade a few shots with some AR dude and they would then toss a grenade and it was impossible to escape even though I was already moving back.

Top Bottom