• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Lead Based Paint said:
I see them go past me at at least waist to chest level on my screen, I am running and jumping forward, feels likes I am so far away and then.....
yeah I get this all the time. grenade magnetism?

GhaleonEB

-Yeti said:
Bad as in overpowered, or bad as in weak sauce?

Because I think the grenades are like mini-nukes. So annoying.
I have this sense of despare whenever I've taken enough damage that I don't fully regenerate my health. Beacuse with even a few bars of health missing and full shields, a single frag will kill without any other damage dealt. I go running for a health pack hoping to find one before I hear the tink tink of doom underfoot. On maps like Countdown, that seems to be every few seconds.

Kuroyume said:
I was one of those guys that liked them in the beta although I also asked for them to limit their respawn and only allow players to carry one at a time. Anyway, I played a few games the other day and it was incredibly annoying. It's like people are more likely to use grenades to kill someone rather than their gun. I would trade a few shots with some AR dude and they would then toss a grenade and it was impossible to escape even though I was already moving back.

I'm not against strong grenades, but they have to make sense in the context of the game. If the player isn't able to move quickly then you can't have grenades with a huge blast radius and very short fuse timer.

The thing I do like about strong grenades is that you can flush out people trying to camp or people that retreat to cover when they are weak.

darthbob

At least grenades aren't the nuclear bombs that they were in the Beta.

Even in the retail game, having 3 red bars of health and full shields and being able to get killed with a single grenade seems sorta reasonable, considering where the grenade damage system used to be.

GhaleonEB said:
I have this sense of despare whenever I've taken enough damage that I don't fully regenerate my health. Beacuse with even a few bars of health missing and full shields, a single frag will kill without any other damage dealt. I go running for a health pack hoping to find one before I hear the tink tink of doom underfoot. On maps like Countdown, that seems to be every few seconds.

Yeah every time I think of how bad the 'nades are, I think of how I despise playing on Countdown because of them. I don't even bother going for health packs on the top floor because I know a 'nade will be waiting for me.

Striker

bobs99 ... said:
I think ODST and Reach would have been fine if the multiplayer lived up to scratch. I dont think Master Chief himself is the factor at work here like the article says.
I think all three failed to live up to [my] expectations. ODST and Reach, at least, had solid campaigns. So it obviously has nothing to do with Master Chief like the article suggests. The campaigns without him have been better since, though I welcome him back as he's the icon of the brand. I trust 343 will ship him back in the right direction.

Also, rather funny... Team Objective now has more gametypes than maps. smh :lol

Frankie, who's running the playlists at 343?

bobs99 ... said:
Not sure I agree with the spin the auther is trying to take with this article:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111582-Microsoft-We-Lost-Our-Way-With-Recent-Halo-Games

I think ODST and Reach would have been fine if the multiplayer lived up to scratch. I dont think Master Chief himself is the factor at work here like the article says.
Yeah, Phil Spencer doesn't get it. I would've been fine with the Chief being stuck in cryo for at least another four years, if not more.

darthbob

Striker said:
I think all three failed to live up to [my] expectations. ODST and Reach, at least, had solid campaigns. So it obviously has nothing to do with Master Chief like the article suggests. The campaigns without him have been better since, though I welcome him back as he's the icon of the brand. I trust 343 will ship him back in the right direction.

Also, rather funny... Team Objective now has more gametypes than maps. smh :lol

Frankie, who's running the playlists at 343?

Wouldn't it be AWESOME if Frankie ran the playlists?!

senador

Banned
Recently Ramirez mentioned frag grenades sticking to armor. Since he mentioned that I've been paying attention and I would not be surprised if this is true. Too often I hear the whiz of a frag and no matter how far away I get I still hear it just as loudly, then it explodes and I die.

I need to watch clips, but do frags actually stick to armor fairly frequently?

Steelyuhas said:

Wow you seriously owned that game.

EDIT:
Blue Ninja said:
Playlists? There'd be only Phantom Pistols on the Waterworks remake is Frankie was responsible.

Or J-SWAT.

Blue Ninja said:
Yeah, Phil Spencer doesn't get it. I would've been fine with the Chief being stuck in cryo for at least another four years, if not more.
Really? We don't get it because we are kind of hardcore-Halo fans. If the normal gamer thinks about Halo, he will think about the Chief. A lot of people are excited about Halo 4 here in my region, because you can play the Chief again. For them, the Chief is Halo.

Havok

darthbob said:
At least grenades aren't the nuclear bombs that they were in the Beta.

Even in the retail game, having 3 red bars of health and full shields and being able to get killed with a single grenade seems sorta reasonable, considering where the grenade damage system used to be.
But that's not what the minimum kill health is. Full shields and any damage to health will kill in one grenade. Full health and a single pistol round to shields will kill. Hell, a grenade impact to the foot, a bounce, and detonation can kill, just not consistently. This is not okay. To say they aren't still nukes is crazy. They might not be as bad as they were before, but they're not good.

darthbob

Havok said:
But that's not what the minimum kill health is. Full shields and any damage to health will kill in one grenade. Full health and a single pistol round to shields will kill. Hell, a grenade impact to the foot, a bounce, and detonation can kill, just not consistently. This is not okay. To say they aren't still nukes is crazy. They might not be as bad as they were before, but they're not good.

Honestly, I haven't even noticed this, unless the entire enemy team bombards me with grenades, like they did last night on Precipice.

While it may not be consistent, it sure felt the same way in Halo CE. Those grenades were freakin' mortars.

MrBig said:
I like evade. It can be abused in CQC though, but removing it from everywhere is ridiculous.

It should be in Invasion, with the Elites, where is belongs. It is ridiculous with the Spartans. The dive is HUGE and the weapons don't kill fast enough in this game for it to work. On some of the maps like Zealot, an Evade user can escape pretty much any fight.

zumphry

Banned
Hitmonchan107 said:
Need one more for ODST Firefight. Send me a message on Xbox Live if you'd like to join.

Yeah, sorry about disconnecting. Already was risking getting on during a thunderstorm...but I love ODST's Firefight so much. Played a bit on Security Zone by myself and had a blast, up until the Buggers came out. Haven't had an internet connection up until about an hour ago.

jerpie said:
Actually not a fan of it.

I like Sprint!

9ocbE.jpg

Hypertrooper said:
Really? We don't get it because we are kind of hardcore-Halo fans. If the normal gamer thinks about Halo, he will think about the Chief. A lot of people are excited about Halo 4 here in my region, because you can play the Chief again. For them, the Chief is Halo.

I remember being totally mindblown when I realized that the main character of the Zelda games wasnt in fact called Zelda lol. I guess for the casual fans it makes it easy to identify with the series, but I really doubt Link not being the main character of a Zelda game would stop me from getting the other ones if I owned the right console...

Barrow Roll said:
Anyone want to join me on the Halo 3?

I would love to jump on with you, but may not be able to get on just yet. How long are you gonna be around for? I need to get stuff done first, but after I finish with that I might just crash out and sleep lol. :(

MrBig

darthbob said:
Honestly, I haven't even noticed this, unless the entire enemy team bombards me with grenades, like they did last night on Precipice.

While it may not be consistent, it sure felt the same way in Halo CE. Those grenades were freakin' mortars.
Balanced by long fuses. There is hardly enough time to react, considering the falloff distance.

Steelyuhas said:
It should be in Invasion, with the Elites, where is belongs. It is ridiculous with the Spartans. The dive is HUGE and the weapons don't kill fast enough in this game for it to work. On some of the maps like Zealot, an Evade user can escape pretty much any fight.
What? Why should it be kept to elites? That doesn't solve the problems that it has. The distance that it travels on the ground in two rolls is the same distance that sprint takes you. CQC, with the sudden movement, is the only area where it is a problem. I don't like CQC in reach at all, so I completely avoid maps and gametypes that have too much of it, so why should I be punished with you removing my second favorite AA from maps and gametypes that aren't detracted by it?

PNut

Banned
Steelyuhas said:

Yup. Not sure why it was ever made a Spartan ability.

Havok

darthbob said:

Sure, but those grenades didn't arm on impact with any surface (allowing them to explode in midair), only after coming to rest on the ground - a significantly longer timespan. That's what makes the plasma grenade's power okay, that it's easier to avoid. Reach is Halo CE power and Halo 2/3 arming.

darthbob said:
And that doesn't sound awesome to you?
I never said that. I'd immediately re-sub to Gold if that happened. :lol

Hypertrooper said:
Maybe. I dunno, I never heard people complain they "missed" the Chief.

GhaleonEB

Havok said:
Sure, but those grenades didn't arm on impact with any surface (allowing them to explode in midair), only after coming to rest on the ground - a significantly longer timespan. That's what makes the plasma grenade's power okay, that it's easier to avoid. Reach is Halo CE power and Halo 2/3 arming.
With slower movement speed, jump height and player inertia on top of it, making them even harder to avoid. So we have rapidly arming, powerful grenades that are hard to get away from.

MrBig said:
What? Why should it be kept to elites? That doesn't solve the problems that it has. The distance that it travels on the ground in two rolls is the same distance that sprint takes you. CQC, with the sudden movement, is the only area where it is a problem. I don't like CQC in reach at all, so I completely avoid maps and gametypes that have too much of it, so why should I be punished with you removing my second favorite AA from maps and gametypes that aren't detracted by it?

The Spartans are much smaller than the elites, and move slower, but the AA still covers the ground that it would with the Elites. How can you compare sprint with the instant bolt in any direction. It is broken with CGC including shotgun and sword, its too easy to escape fights when shots down. The non-invasion maps are clearly not designed to have this ability used as well, as the starting weapons have a difficult time being able to kill players using evade.

It was clearly designed for Elites to be used in Invasion and is just broken when used with spartans on 4v4 maps. That's my two cents at least.

Just ran some quick tests because I was curious. The spartan's evade is actually longer than the Elites.

jerpie said:
Sometimes they align, but my personal preferences do not dictate the changes that I implement.

Fair enough.

MrBig

Steelyuhas said:
The Spartans are much smaller than the elites, and move slower, but the AA still covers the ground that it would with the Elites. How can you compare sprint with the instant bolt in any direction. It is broken with CGC including shotgun and sword, its too easy to escape fights when shots down. The non-invasion maps are clearly not designed to have this ability used as well, as the starting weapons have a difficult time being able to kill players using evade.

It was clearly designed for Elites to be used in Invasion and is just broken when used with spartans on 4v4 maps. That's my two cents at least.
I agree, and as I both you and I said it breaks CQC. It's inconsequential elsewhere, so why does it matter?

Striker

GhaleonEB said:
With slower movement speed, jump height and player inertia on top of it, making them even harder to avoid. So we have rapidly arming, powerful grenades that are hard to get away from.
The Halo 3 movement is still slow, but aided by the agile mobility and moon jumps. Grenades were a problem on some maps in Halo 3 as well, notably Orbital, Construct, and Guardian. The problem in that game with grenades is how Bungie allowed them to remain on the map after dead bodies rather than disappearing after a certain length of time.

re: Evade

The roaring thunder of evade+Shotgun and Sword will still plague 4v4 and 5v5 as long as its in there. It was a bug of it getting to Spartans in the beta, no clue as to why they let Spartans act like Elites dodging in the retail.

MrBig said:
I agree, and as I both you and I said it breaks CQC. It's inconsequential elsewhere, so why does it matter?

I feel its effects are substantial outside of CGC. If everyone is using this on a game of Zealot for example, no one dies, especially with AR Mag starts. You can escape literally almost any fight (close, mid, and long range) with a couple evades on that map.

GhaleonEB

Striker said:
The Halo 3 movement is still slow, but aided by the agile mobility and moon jumps. Grenades were a problem on some maps in Halo 3 as well, notably Orbital, Construct, and Guardian. The problem in that game with grenades is how Bungie allowed them to remain on the map after dead bodies rather than disappearing after a certain length of time.
Pretty sure Reach base movement is a bit slower. But to highlight the points of differentiation, grenade spam was a problem in Halo 3. Lone grenades are a problem in Reach. When coupled with grende spam....
A27 Tawpgun said:
Wait, so as playlist manager you really have little to no power as to what changes to implement? Or am I reading that wrong.

Could you perhaps explain in a little more detail exactly how the playlist change process works? It would help if we knew why decisions were made and such.
I think he's saying he has a methodology for what changes to impliment, and just doing what he wants to see done is not it.

Tawpgun

jerpie said:
Sometimes they align, but my personal preferences do not dictate the changes that I implement.
Wait, so as playlist manager you really have little to no power as to what changes to implement? Or am I reading that wrong.

Could you perhaps explain in a little more detail exactly how the playlist change process works? It would help if we knew why decisions were made and such.

bobs99 ... said:
I would love to jump on with you, but may not be able to get on just yet. How long are you gonna be around for? I need to get stuff done first, but after I finish with that I might just crash out and sleep lol. :(
Don't worry about it, I just hopped off. It's no fun when playing with randoms and almost everybody you face is a 50. :/

senador

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:

No, he probably means he implements what he and his team feels is best for the audience, versus what he personally likes, but oft times the 2 align.

MrBig

Steelyuhas said:
I feel its effects are substantial outside of CGC. If everyone is using this on a game of Zealot for example, no one dies, especially with AR Mag starts. You can escape literally almost any fight (close, mid, and long range) with a couple evades on that map.
All of Zealot is CQC...

I'm talking about maps and gametypes above 4p

MrBig said:
All of Zealot is CQC...

above 4v4? In Big team it is certainly not as big of an issue if thats what you mean. I wouldn't mind it staying in Big Team, but it needs to go from all 4v4 and 5v5 playlists.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
-Yeti said:
My only wish for Halo 4 is to have this suit available in Multiplayer:

BlueStinger1.jpg
There's a lot they can do with the armor in fact I hope one thing 343i does do is allow fans to create helmets for a contest or something then let the community pick the top 5 and they end up in the game.

Striker

GhaleonEB said:
Pretty sure Reach base movement is a bit slower. But to highlight the points of differentiation, grenade spam was a problem in Halo 3. Lone grenades are a problem in Reach. When coupled with grende spam....

I think he's saying he has a methodology for what changes to impliment, and just doing what he wants to see done is not it.
I'm not insisting they're no problem, they are, especially in things like Rumble Pit, Multi-team, and certain maps (Countdown). I suppose since I mostly go in with friends in things like Objective, BTB, and Premium Battle, I'm not getting these spamfests daily like others in here do. I agree they're a problem, at least the fuse is. Make the fuse longer and it would be relative to their strength.

senador said:
No, he probably means he implements what he and his team feels is best for the audience, versus what he personally likes, but oft times the 2 align.
Sounds like "We know people pick Evade, so they obviously like it", as if them picking Evade isn't an indicative of why it's heavily abusive.

Reminds me of when somebody said "Headhunter is well liked in BTB because it gets voted for!". Well of course, when you had seen things like "Team Headhunter - Countdown", "Team Headhunter - Spire" and "Team Headhunter - Paradiso" show up as the final remaining voting options, what choice do you have?

Tawpgun

Oh my god. Me, Barrow, Plywood, Overdoziz and Tashi are playing the next NASCAR. It's a refreshing change from old nascar. We're playing this at customs.

Ramirez

Striker said:
Reminds me of when somebody said "Headhunter is well liked in BTB because it gets voted for!". Well of course, when you had seen things like "Team Headhunter - Countdown", "Team Headhunter - Spire" and "Team Headhunter - Paradiso" show up as the final remaining voting options, what choice do you have?

lol, maybe they're using the same methods Tiburon uses for Gameflow. I pick Evade because it's OP as all get out on most maps, I hate playing against it though. I think reducing it to just one roll would do a lot to make it more balanced and less annoying.

Top Bottom