• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Tunavi

Banned
Tha Robbertster said:
But it is interesting to hear this news and I'm wondering how Microsoft and Sony are going to react on this.
Are they also going to announce a new system? I think it would be a good step for Microsoft since the 360 is getting a little old and it would be a great way to get rid of the RROD. The PS3 however still has some time to go so I think Sony will only go further with their handhelds.

No, the slim is less than a year old and the Kinect is even younger. They literally released the Slim at E3

wwm0nkey

Tha Robbertster said:
You're losing me with DX11 :p

But it is interesting to hear this news and I'm wondering how Microsoft and Sony are going to react on this.
Are they also going to announce a new system? I think it would be a good step for Microsoft since the 360 is getting a little old and it would be a great way to get rid of the RROD. The PS3 however still has some time to go so I think Sony will only go further with their handhelds.
To put it in perspective

PS3 and 360 are both DX9 consoles both DX10 and DX11 have been HUGE improvements over those and I am also going to assume this new will will have 1 to 2 GB of ram as well where as the 360 only has 512MB of ram.

Also yes news has been flooding in all day about them getting ready to announce it at E3.

Tunavi said:
No, the slim is less than a year old and the Kinect is even younger. They literally released the Slim at E3

Yeah MS has been pretty open that they are shooting for a 10 year cycle for the 360 (2015 release).

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Tha Robbertster said:
You're losing me with DX11 :p

There's nothing old about the 360. With NXE, Kinect, 360 S and now a new disc format, Microsoft has already been giving us a new console, just via the 360 itself. And the RROD issues have long been taken care of for a while now. I'm not saying it's completely gone, just not a wide-spread issue anymore.

<3 Xbox 360

MrBig

Tha Robbertster said:
Most guesses have est the next MS/Sony console to be in 2013 with an announce this E3 or next.

MS already hid the RROD with the Slim. I'm not sure what you're getting at with the PS3 having more hardware life than the 360, they are basically powered by the same hardware. The team that designed the "The Cell" is the same one that designed the 360's chip, and they both use nearly identical proprietary graphics hardware. The only thing that will outlast in the PS3 is the RAM, one of the most essential parts though. They're both so far outdated it doesn't even matter. If they did put one out now it would all look the same but be able to do more stuff within the same parameters. The leap wouldn't be as big as the first gen xbox to 360. Not to mention the added dev costs to take advantage of that, and devs currently working on already announced titles.

So is it just me or has Amazon suddently got really expensive?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0765323966/

There's no way a book (even a Halo book) should be 30 quid. Im also sure the Wireless controller adaptor was about half the price before.

Hmm?

I think in that case its just the seller who is putting it up for such a high cost, but what happened to Amazons stock?

Tunavi said:

You have a point with this. I think I'll ajust my date to next year's E3. They could make the new xbox competable with Kinect and I think Microsofts wants to have someting to compete with Nintendo and I don't think Kinect is going to do the tric.

wwm0nkey said:
To put it in perspective

PS3 and 360 are both DX9 consoles both DX10 and DX11 have been HUGE improvements over those and I am also going to assume this new will will have 1 to 2 GB of ram as well where as the 360 only has 512MB of ram.

Also yes news has been flooding in all day about them getting ready to announce it at E3.

Aaah, thank you.
I think I understand the principle right now.

And to the other responses:
I know the RROD problem has been improved with the release of the Slim but their are still plenty of people who have the old console and aren't going to trade it in for a new variant of the 360 and Microsoft's reputation hasn't become better with the RROD problem. A brand new console though would have much more appeal, not only to xbox owners but also to the people who were scared away by the RROD.

And I have to admit, I don't really know much about the PS3 but I've always been told that it was a ''stronger'' machine then the xbox 360

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Domino Theory said:
There's nothing old about the 360. With NXE, Kinect, 360 S and now a new disc format, Microsoft has already been giving us a new console, just via the 360 itself. And the RROD issues have long been taken care of for a while now. I'm not saying it's completely gone, just not a wide-spread issue anymore.

<3 Xbox 360

As much as I love the 360 platform, just take a gander at how graphics are evolving over on the PC side. By comparison alone, the 360/PS3 are outdated.

But to be honest, I don't care that much for graphics alone. If Microsoft and Sony continue their support in terms of the features you mentioned, I think the most people, myself included, would be happy to wait another few years.

The best thing is, the longer we wait for new hardware, the better that hardware will be when it comes out.

Also MS dropped the ball by not making a HDD a standard feature after making it a standard feature in the previous generation. It's needed more this generation and it's silly to see the platform being held back because of silly early pricing models. The MS tech team had better push hard for HDD standardisation next generation and now relent to save a few pennies.

ElRenoRaven

Steelyuhas said:
Yeah I think it's pretty absurd. It will be interesting to see what happens to the population of Classic with objective gets in there, although honestly I thought the classic playlist would have a higher population count at this point.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the modern shooter fan hates anything to shooting stuff.

I see it going down. Honestly He has done a piss poor job on matchmaking playlists. People finally get what we want and now he's screwing it up. That's just one of many many things that have been done wrong in regards to playlists.

wwm0nkey

Dani said:
As much as I love the 360 platform, just take a gander at how graphics are evolving over on the PC side. By comparison alone, the 360/PS3 are outdated.

But to be honest, I don't care that much for graphics alone. If Microsoft and Sony continue their support in terms of the features you mentioned, I think the most people, myself included, would be happy to wait another few years.

The best thing is, the longer we wait for new hardware, the better that hardware will be when it comes out.
Again I do not care too much for graphics myself but I do feel the 360 is being limited now by both age and disc size.

This new Wii has a chance to kick start the new console generation.

Gui_PT said:
Tashi, how about this song for a montage?

You know you like it!!!

I see your bet, and I raise you two.

Edit: Tashi, I think it'd be cool if you opened up the Weekly Montage to other people to try their hand. You'd get the clips from Juices and then let us try to make the best montage out of them. You can still do yours, and yours would be the first one to be shown. I think that'd be fun.

PsychoRaven said:
I see it going down. Honestly He has done a piss poor job on matchmaking playlists. People finally get what we want and now he's screwing it up. That's just one of many many things that have been done wrong in regards to playlists.

What? I have my own grumbles about playlist management, but I still think overall Jeremiah is doing a fantastic job. We've got the Classic playlist we wanted. Community maps are being integrated across the board. Big Team Battle is getting some love this month. Playlists without Armor Lock!

Sure you might not be a fan of some of every addition, but it's not like he's taking anything away from us.

Crucio

New Nintendo Console huh? This year keep looking better for the gaming world everyday.
I think the 360 and PS3 are still worthy of another 2-4 years at least. The technology gap in this case, I believe, still has to come further for PC to completely outclass the consoles.

For the average consumer, purchasing a PC with ever changing money hauling upgrades is looked down upon versus playing games on a console that stays the same for two years+. Yes they've upgraded the 360 and PS3 but those are never a necessity to play new titles. Sometimes the PC gives you no other option but to buy new hardware for the next big game.

bobs99 ... said:
So is it just me or has Amazon suddently got really expensive?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0765323966/

There's no way a book (even a Halo book) should be 30 quid. Im also sure the Wireless controller adaptor was about half the price before.

Hmm?

I think in that case its just the seller who is putting it up for such a high cost, but what happened to Amazons stock?

Its only 14.99$ CAN now. I bought mine for 30$ CAN. Hardcover releases usually have a 30-40$ price range.

wwm0nkey said:
Not if all the new consoles come with this amazing thing

Wii-Classic-Controller-Pro-300x300.jpg
That shit needs to be wireless. I fail to understand how they can produce tons of Wiimotes but no wireless(independent) Classic controllers. I'll use my Wavebird.

randomlyrossy said:
Well they don't really have anything new to talk about so I assume that's what we haven't had one for a while.

Like that's ever stopped them!

I'd have thought the transition of halo from them to 343 would make a lively topic to discuss

Tunavi

Banned
Hitmonchan107 said:
Edit: Tashi, I think it'd be cool if you opened up the Weekly Montage to other people to try their hand. You'd get the clips from Juices and then let us try to make the best montage out of them. You can still do yours, and yours would be the first one to be shown. I think that'd be fun.
fdb4adb8580f5f2c76d05722579a96fd5126437b_full.jpg

MrBig

wwm0nkey said:
Not if all the new consoles come with this amazing thing

Wii-Classic-Controller-Pro-300x300.jpg
What is that? Looks like a frankenstein of a ps3 and 360 controller but with terrible ergonomics.

Don't mean to seem like I'm against the Wii or anything, I like it in a social setting, but saying it will lead in sort of new gaming revolution is absurd.

ElRenoRaven

MrBig said:
What is that? Looks like a frankenstein of a ps3 and 360 controller but with terrible ergonomics.

Don't mean to seem like I'm against the Wii or anything, I like it in a social setting, but saying it will lead in sort of new gaming revolution is absurd.

Honestly I know it won't happen but every console needs to have the 360 controller from here on out. The only improvement that would need to be made would be the dpad. I can dream though can't I?

wwm0nkey

MrBig said:

The Classic Controller Pro is amazing, Monster Hunter Tri + Classic Controller Pro = god tier.

Also here is the problem with that statement though. The new Nintendo Console =/= the Wii. They can take their new console in a lot of different directions than how they took the Wii.

Oh also Monster Hunter Tri > any PS3 or 360 game.

Kibbles

A27 Tawpgun said:
So I just remembered... When are they going to open up that beta tester survey again? I remember getting the email and then the servers crashed. They said we'd get another opportunity.
Yeah same here, what's the deal with that?

Who would be in the Bungie podcast nowadays? Best podcast lineup ever was Frankie, Ske7ch and Luke, with Frank occasionally pwning Luke verbally like his own personal underling :p
2/3rds of that line up have moved on to other things, while Luke isn't even involved with the community anymore
unless he still posts in the NFLGAF thread
. I'm afraid it would end up being a solo Urk, hemming and hawing verbosely for 45 minutes without actually divulging any real information
like th BWU does <3 u Urk

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Hitmonchan107 said:
I see your bet, and I raise you two.

I don't think I quite follow. How would people actually make the montage? Can you explain?

Account Attempt #4 said:
Who would be in the Bungie podcast nowadays? Best podcast lineup ever was Frankie, Ske7ch and Luke, with Frank occasionally pwning Luke verbally like his own personal underling :p
2/3rds of that line up have moved on to other things, while Luke isn't even involved with the community anymore
unless he still posts in the NFLGAF thread
. I'm afraid it would end up being a solo Urk, hemming and hawing verbosely for 45 minutes without actually divulging any real information
like th BWU does <3 u Urk

Urk hosted the last two podcast's if my memory serves me right.

Tunavi

Banned
Tashi0106 said:
I don't think I quite follow. How would people actually make the montage? Can you explain?
I think hes suggesting that you could post the clips individually and people can make their own montage of your clips.

Steelyuhas said:
Urk hosted the last two podcast's if my memory serves me right.
In that case, it sounds like I have two podcasts to listen to. Hopefully they'll flesh out this community team soon and get back into the swing of things. Of course it'll happen in due time, especially with the impending announcements, e3, etc. Shake get your resume in order and apply for that visa already.

Tawpgun

Dax01 said:
What's going on with the avatars?
Oh ok. I thought it was just me. No one seems to have one. I hosted mine through GAF, and have show avatars selected in my profile.

Must be a glitch or something.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
GAF now hosting all avatars.

NPD results hit.

Traffic spikes.

GAF makes avatars temporarily go away.

Lingitiz said:
Looks like they were disabled to cope with the npd stress. That's probably why they were internalized.
It's so much harder to recognize who's posting (given that you could tell from at a glance with an avatar before).

Hey You

Account Attempt #4 said:
In that case, it sounds like I have two podcasts to listen to. Hopefully they'll flesh out this community team soon and get back into the swing of things. Of course it'll happen in due time, especially with the impending announcements, e3, etc. Shake get your resume in order and apply for that visa already.
I'm sure once the other two Community Positions are filled, we will have three regular hosts for the podcast.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
vhfive said:
speaking of podcasts
When are we getting a new Sparkast?

Honestly I'm bummed we haven't put more out in the ether yet. Turns out it actually is really hard coordinating schedules across our group to actually make it happen.

Also, I'm still waiting on someone to accept my request for a fight to death so I can finally get my dedicated recording space.

tl;dr

Soon?

vhfive

lybertyboy said:
Honestly I'm bummed we haven't put more out in the ether yet. Turns out it actually is really hard coordinating schedules across our group to actually make it happen.

Also, I'm still waiting on someone to accept my request for a fight to death so I can finally get my dedicated recording space.

tl;dr

Soon™
fixed :p

Crucio

lybertyboy said:

tl;dr

Soon?
Yeah, Seems to me that the Sparkasts have been coming along side gaming events.
Are there any events before E3? :p

Looking forward to the next episode. I'm dying to get the vibe from 343. Even if its only by audio.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Tunavi said:
I think hes suggesting that you could post the clips individually and people can make their own montage of your clips.
How would that work? The clips all together are over 1gb. Sounds kinda crazy.

Top Bottom