• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
HaloGAF picking on the Community Cartogrpahers? New low.

Havok said:
Sure, that's what I've been doing, staying as far away from those playlists as possible, because while the Crown of Flies and Kingdom games I played were fine, the rest were kind of miserable. I'd be lying if I said that I'd rather the playlist management team continued prioritizing the Forge stuff rather than fixing established issues first (the hill in zero-g, as seen above, and Drop Shield in Objective!!!!). But moving on, you're right that DLC Forge maps would benefit from using DLC. Even just using Tempest instead of Forge World would get rid of the framerate problem that plagues the Classic playlist so very badly. Unfortunately catering to a tiny portion of your consumer base isn't very good business and so it won't happen anytime soon. Pay attention, 343i.

They rely on the different communities to moderate and submit candidates through appointed representatives (Ghaleon, NOKYARD). Unfortunately I think some communities are less discerning than others when considering map quality.

The Cartographers have no influence over playlist management at all. The job of the cartographers is simply to bring the best community maps to Bungie. That's it.

Your mention of the use of DLC maps is not up to us because it would change the requirements of certain playlists and the maps the Cartographers bring to Bungie's attention must meet certain criteria.

However if you feel there are notable DLC forged maps, then by all means provide links and examples so that the Cartographers here can have a look. If they are solid maps, I'm pretty sure a Cartographer or two will take interest.

As far as I am aware, the active Cartographers are doing a solid job and there is no difference in the quality bar between any of the maps submitted so far. If you think differently, if you think some of the maps the Cartographers have forwarded aren't up to scratch, why don't you list them and explicitly state whatever issues you have. If there are real problems that you feel the Cartographers are overlooking, then make them known so that they can attempt to address them.

Insaniac said:
speaking of the "community" playlists, do they even bother testing the maps or do they just throw whatever bullshit comes there way? And can I submit maps because I feel like my maps are much better than whats on those playlists

The Cartographers test all of the maps they submit thoroughly. Not just by the submitting Cartographer, but by others in the group and sometimes finally by Bungie themselves. If a Cartographer map ends up in MM, then it's been playtested significantly by multiple communities and groups of players in addition to Bungie's testing.

Note that not all maps in the Community playlists are from the Cartographers. Remember the Forgetacular competition with the hundreds of thousands of maps? Some of the maps in the Community playlists are taken from Forgetacular entries. The Cartographers have no say over these maps, how they are selected or their quality and we aren't responsible for them. However, Cartographer members can take any serious issues found on these maps to our feedback area for what it is worth.

Any maps you show on GAF are almost certainly looked at by Cartographer members. No Cartographer would let a quality map go unnoticed.

Havok

Dani said:

The Cartographers have no influence over playlist management at all. The job of the cartographers is simply to bring the best community maps to Bungie. That's it.

Your mention of the use of DLC maps is not up to us because it would change the requirements of certain playlists and the maps the Cartographers bring to Bungie's attention must meet certain criteria.

However if you feel there are notable DLC forged maps, then by all means provide links and examples so that the Cartographers here can have a look. If they are solid maps, I'm pretty sure a Cartographer or two will take interest.

As far as I am aware, the active Cartographers are doing a solid job and there is no difference in the quality bar between any of the maps submitted so far. If you think differently, if you think some of the maps the Cartographers have forwarded aren't up to scratch, why don't you list them and explicitly state whatever issues you have. If there are real problems that you feel the Cartographers are overlooking, then make them known so that they can attempt to address them.
I wasn't picking on anyone, and never implied that you guys were responsible for anything but presenting maps to Bungie. That's all I said, and I'm sure you guys are doing perfectly good jobs with the maps you're given by the community, I just don't happen to think many of them are great (and slogging through some of the worse BTB maps to play them all in the playlist isn't feasible with the limited time I've had to play). Everything I said previous to answering Insaniac's question would be directed towards Jeremiah and the playlist management team, but primarily just serve for me to think out loud (for example, thinking about differences in the quality bar across communities). I don't intend to offend anyone, especially when it's not directed at that group of people at all. Not really sure how it came across that I didn't have respect for the Community Cartographers, especially since I've been primarily focused on the limitations of the tools preventing designs from being fully realized, not the other way around.

Question:

Does anyone have an idea how the Betrayal system works behind the scenes?

Obviously I know the whole "X to boot, B to forgive" part, but is there any clue as to how the game decides when to show that menu? It just seems inconsistent sometimes, resulting in accidental betrayals ending in bootings (and host migration sometimes) while some clearly intentional and repeated betrayals go unpunished.

I know the system tries to account for multiple betrayals, damage to enemies, etc. Just curious if there is anything more concrete.

O D I N

ncsuDuncan said:
Question:

Obviously I know the whole "X to boot, B to forgive" part, but is there any clue as to how the game decides when to show that menu? It just seems inconsistent sometimes, resulting in accidental betrayals ending in bootings (and host migration sometimes) while some clearly intentional and repeated betrayals go unpunished.

I know the system tries to account for multiple betrayals, damage to enemies, etc. Just curious if there is anything more concrete.

I'm also curious, but I'm sure Bungie wouldn't out right say what makes that happen consistently. You'd have more 'griefers' abusing the system.

Karl2177

ncsuDuncan said:
Question:

Speaking of this, why the fuck aren't habitual betrayers banned? Or why do I always seem to get paired with them.

I know I shouldn't bitch about TrueSkill, but it just doesn't fucking work. Going in randomly is a complete shitfest. I'm raging pretty hard about how I got paired with one teammate who knew what he was doing, and 6 other people who are playing with their feet or are sadistic betraying bastards. IMO something similar to what Starcraft does needs to be implemented. If I go into BTB randomly, match me with other randoms, and RANK me as a random BTB player. If I go in as a party, match me with another team, and RANK the team as a BTB team.

Striker

Karl2177 said:
Speaking of this, why the fuck aren't habitual betrayers banned? Or why do I always seem to get paired with them.

I know I shouldn't bitch about TrueSkill, but it just doesn't fucking work. Going in randomly is a complete shitfest. I'm raging pretty hard about how I got paired with one teammate who knew what he was doing, and 6 other people who are playing with their feet or are sadistic betraying bastards. IMO something similar to what Starcraft does needs to be implemented. If I go into BTB randomly, match me with other randoms, and RANK me as a random BTB player. If I go in as a party, match me with another team, and RANK the team as a BTB team.
That's party restrictions, and primarily what killed Halo 3's BTB and later, Squad Battle. If there's something with lowish population and you can only set perimeters up for players x vs. players x, there will be long wait times; and in the long run, shy people away from the playlist.

I usually go in with 2-3 others in BTB, and you'll find your big share of idiots. If they're not waiting for a Banshee or Sniper Rifle, they're driving away in a lone Warthog or taking a Shotgun and driving off into the middle of the map in a Ghost instead of letting other users take that weapon for base defense.

At least once the update hits I may swift through the morons as long as they remove the Drop Shield and weight CTF and Assault high enough.

GhaleonEB

O D I N said:
Was just asking if and when you play FF (limited in particular), as I've been on a huge FF kick lately, and was lookin to play some games.

No biggie. It just always seemed like I was skipped over. It's all good. :bro fist?
I'm online most nights for a few hours from 8pm Pacific time. If my party is open, that means I welcome company.

My party is always open.

Hypertrooper said:
We did well on Lost Platoon the last time. Mmh. 6-9PST that means 3am for me. I guess, we can do one Vidmaster at that time.
6-9PST, I can't make it then. A friend of mine is having a going away party at a bar that night and I'll probably be out till at least midnight PST.

Gui_PT said:
Hey guys, thanks for saving my spot for the FF achievements in ODST.

I leave for a few days and you completely forget about me. Sheesh.
Except that the ODST FF shenanigans last night wasn't even planned. Hitmonchan came in here and asked for help and Tunavi, Choco and I just happened to be the only ones around to help. Hypertrooper still needs to the cheevos. Besides, I'm always up for ODST FF.

O D I N

GhaleonEB said:
I'm online most nights for a few hours from 8pm Pacific time. If my party is open, that means I welcome company.

My party is always open.

That's perfect; I usually work til 11, or am not available until 10.

I'll send you a FR then.

EDIT: I'm assuming it's the same name here?
EDIT2: @ Barrow; I still need 3 ODST FF achievements. Security Zone, Chasm Ten and Last Exit.

Kuroyume

Banned
ncsuDuncan said:
Question:

I still haven't figured it out. I know many people were a bit annoyed with Reach's boot system at launch with people constantly getting booted in Firefight but it was stupid of them to change it back to the H3 system. They eventually got rid of friendly fire in Firefight anyway. Right now if someone betrays me and I betray them they're the one who gets the boot prompt to knock me out of a game even if they betray me again before I finally get to kill them. How stupid is that? If you're going to have friendly fire in the game you have to have a betrayal system in there that's not totally retarded. Not sure why you would talk about a new system in the previews for Reach and then change it a few weeks after launch.

Trasher

Dani said:
I know right? They've done an amazing job! I loved the community BTB playlist. It was a fantastic new low for the Halo franchise.

vhfive

Trasher said:
I know right? They've done an amazing job! I loved the community BTB playlist. It was a fantastic new low for the Halo franchise.
I thought that the community BTB playlist was taken from the forge contest and none of the maps had anything to do with the Community Cartographers group.

my customs got delayed a bit, gonna try to start in about 30 min, gonna be playing non mlg competitive. any forge testing is welcome. may play a few mini games too.

vhfive

AlmostMilk said:
my customs got delayed a bit, gonna try to start in about 30 min, gonna be playing non mlg competitive. any forge testing is welcome. may play a few mini games too.
If you have 4v4 play this please. It's set up for any pretty much any gametype.

I might join up later but currently watching b-ball/forging.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Ramirez said:
No one is picking on anyone, give me a break.

Really?

Trasher said:

Umm...

vhfive said:
I thought that the community BTB playlist was taken from the forge contest and none of the maps had anything to do with the Community Cartographers group.

Ramirez

Dani said:

Well you're dumb if you actually believe that's a legit post.

You can say Community BTB was a test bed, but the Community Slayer list wasn't any better, the maps were awful. The playlist was lucky to have 300 people in it, I don't think I was the only one to notice the quality.

Ramirez said:

You can say Community BTB was a test bed, but the Community Slayer list wasn't any better, the maps were awful. The playlist was lucky to have 300 people in it, I don't think I was the only one to notice the quality.

The quality of the maps did get better with each new release of the playlist though. There were several solid maps in it by the last time they did it.

Ramirez

Steelyuhas said:
The quality of the maps did get better with each new release of the playlist though. There were several solid maps in it by the last time they did it.

What were the names of them? The ones people always voted for when I played was Historical Site and the one that remotely looked like Midship, only 50x bigger.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Ramirez said:

The post is a joke, a not very funny one.

The Community Slayer playlist wasn't Cartographer maps for it's initial debut. The initial selection was from the Forge competition and yeah some of them were horrible. Each time the playlist was updated you'd see some Cartographer maps being rotated into it. But it's never been exclusively Cartographers' maps.

The Cartographers group have no control over which maps are put into the Community playlists or any other playlists. We just find what we honestly think are good maps from various communities to Bungie when the maps have reached a certain level of polish.

I think the low population of the Community Slayer playlist has a lot to do with the fact that initially most of the maps were rubbish. They were selected from thousands of random entries, only one of two of them stood out (the Forgetacular winner Treasury being a good example).

Community Slayer is also meant to be a test bed too. The better maps are suppose to be headed to the proper playlists after being put through their paces. However the Cartographers have no say in this, it's all Bungie at this point and there's nothing we can do about it to speed things up or only have specific maps in the community playlists.

Bottom of the line, don't worry about the Community playlists. They are testing grounds first and foremost. As long we Bungie get the data they need, and the search times for games aren't too bad, everything is good.

BTW, before anyone asks when we'll see the main playlists updated with solid community content, the answer is soon. Very soon. We'll be seeing the better community maps (not the shit ones) make their way into the main playlists. It's not my place to take about the details but the main playlists will see the fruits of the community shortly, hopefully.

Ramirez said:
What were the names of them? The ones people always voted for when I played was Historical Site and the one that remotely looked like Midship, only 50x bigger.

Affinity
Crown of Flies - GAFer Map
Kingdom - GAFer Map
Synapse
Treasury

Another apparent problem with that community slayer playlist was all they really said was "Hey make a map thats 4v4 and supports some objectives" (I think)

Problem was they never said what gametype it would be for...DMR starts or CRAP starts. DMR starts basically require different maps almost, especially for some of the weirder maps in that playlist, I no longer remember the names but that really open map with two bases, played so different with AR starts compared to DMR starts.

Halo's gotten pretty complex. They should have said hey heres the playlist settings we're doing, design maps that would work well in that specific setting. They really need to test the gameplay in very specific settings and go from there. Otherwise you get a clusterfuck of maps and game settings that don't work together, like the Community Slayer playlist. It makes for a really bad experience.

GhaleonEB

Just to add - if you are seeing amazing community maps, point them out here. I submitted Kingdom and would have done Crown of Flies but someone else picked it up for submission. The ForgeGAF crowd has died off and I didn't see any maps bubbling up that were nearing ready status (or rather, none that Nokyard wasn't helping to get ready for submission).

The signal:noise ratio in the playlist is just a reminder of how freaking hard it is to make good maps.

I'm not a gate keeper. My approach is to represent HaloGAF by forwarding maps the folks here think are great. (Even if I disagree, though I thought the two from GAF are excellent.) From there, it's all Bungie.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
GhaleonEB said:
I'm not a gate keeper.

ghostbusters.jpg

Kibbles

Oh we were at the end of the mission on LASO, at the beachhead part, but my friends lagged out/power went out or something. What do we do so we can continue. Do I go to end game and wait for them to return? I don't want to start all over :S

MrBig

Kibbles said:
Oh we were at the end of the mission on LASO, at the beachhead part, but my friends lagged out/power went out or something. What do we do so we can continue. Do I go to end game and wait for them to return? I don't want to start all over :S
You can continue yourself but your friend is screwed.

Havok

Kibbles said:
Wow that sucks... and since it says "End Game" I assume I can't do Save & Quit either? fuuucckkkk
Nope, no checkpoints in coop. Fortunately for you guys this is one of the easier weeks.

Kibbles

Havok said:
Nope, no checkpoints in coop. Fortunately for you guys this is one of the easier weeks.
Woo I beat it. My friends said they are still in it, which is weird. They aren't online so even if they do beat it themselves they probably won't get the challenge huh?

Havok

Kibbles said:
Woo I beat it. My friends said they are still in it, which is weird. They aren't online so even if they do beat it themselves they probably won't get the challenge huh?
If they're able to get back online before they beat it, then yes, they should get the challenge as long as it isn't grayed out for them in the "Challenges" portion of the Start Menu.

Edit: I say that they should try to get back online so the system doesn't see them as trying to exploit the Challenge system for credits. That's bad.

GhaleonEB

Kibbles said:
That happened to me a few times, including one LASO run. They should get it as well. What happened was you were split off into separate games, only one of which will be recorded on b.net. But you should both get the Challenge done.
Dani said:
If Sigourney Weaver is the key master, then disregard. Rawr.

After ten straight hours of video editing, I'm done with the semester.

And I'm exhausted, so I won't be getting online for the Vidmaster. Sorry, guys.

That vid never uploaded to 720p, even though I shot it at that setting.

Double Team is a good playlist. No armor lock, reduced ammo is power weapons, and sequential king is very nice.

Getting all kinds of wasted tonight GAF

Schmitty

Steelyuhas said:
Double Team is a good playlist. No armor lock, reduced ammo is power weapons, and sequential king is very nice.

Getting all kinds of wasted tonight GAF
I play double team when I want to romp on some people after getting beat in arena. Me and my friend have never let the other team get more than 10 kills I believe

*looks at first half of this page*

Come on, HaloGAF. You can be better than that.

You know, for some reason I keep thinking it's Friday and keep checking Bnet. for the Weekly Update. Gr.

O D I N

Dax01 said:
*looks at first half of this page*

Come on, HaloGAF. You can be better than that.

You know, for some reason I keep thinking it's Friday and keep checking Bnet. for the Weekly Update. Gr.

Seriously, you're not the only one. I've done the same thing THREE times at work today. @___@

EDIT: V V V Motion passes. 4/21/11 is officially Friday phase 1. Phase 2 begins 4/22/11.

Top Bottom