• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Hitmonchan107 said:
Apparently, nobody crack my code.

:^(

Man, really sorry about that guys.

Congrats, equil! lol

From now on I'll stick with random giveaways.

Edit: I'm giving another code away on Twitter in 10 minutes. If you're bored.

Double edit: Five more minutes!

Did I ever tell you I am jealous of your job? :p

I'm giving away a Grifball avatar accessory whenever I hit 50 followers. If that happens in the next hour, I'll give it away tonight. If not, check back tomorrow!

The way my Twitter contests work:

At the right time, I'll tweet a message. The first person to DM me that message over Twitter wins.

To enter, you'll have to follow me, and I'll have to follow you.

That way, only followers have the opportunity to get the code. Sound fair?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Hitmonchan107 said:
I'm giving away a Grifball avatar accessory whenever I hit 50 followers. If that happens in the next hour, I'll give it away tonight. If not, check back tomorrow!

At the right time, I'll tweet a message. The first person to DM me that message over Twitter wins.

bah, i'm old and cant figure twitter out. maybe i'll score one from your drawing tomorrow :/

PNut

Banned
BWU was nice on the MM front. New community maps added to Arena? Maybe that will help the population. Until then, anyone want to play some late night Halo 3 matchmaking?

GT- PNut d kidnaper

op_ivy said:
bah, i'm old and cant figure twitter out. maybe i'll score one from your drawing tomorrow :/
I'm sorry. I'm just trying to spread the love evenly.

GhaleonEB said:
The sides of the bases are covered, except where the flag is located. Also, there is no sniper rifle on the map.
How about a focus rifle?

GhaleonEB said:
SOLD. Can we please test it out in customs?

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Just did the Weekly in under an hour with Dani and Ivan. It's been pretty fun to do these LASOs more than once and watch your mission duration get repeatedly cut in half as you perfect the encounters and shortcuts.

Hitmonchan107 said:

I'll retweet every of your tweets.

kylej

Banned
xxjuicesxx said:
So I heard the classic objective gametypes are all AR starts?

Shake My Head.

lmao. You wonder why I play blops? I can't handle any more incompetence.

I'm sure these new changes will be bangers that bring the Classic playlists above 300 people. I'm sure.

Hey You

What was that gametype in Halo 3 where the team in the lead had Waypoints above their heads?

Also I can't remember, was Lurkers (in H3) Neutral or Offense/Defense territories?

GAFers: The Mark V avatar helmet giveaway is still going on. All you have to do is send me a PM to enter. No purchase necessary!

Please list the color you'd like (from most wanted to least wanted) in the message. (I have one blue, one green and one red.)

So if you really wanted the green helmet and would rather not have the blue, the message would be:

Green
Red
Blue

You have until midnight EST tonight (or 12 hours for you international folks) to enter!

Twitter Update: It's over! Thanks for playing!

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

I had a conversation the other night and the above article is the result. I sat down and thought what I would want a potential Halo remake to do right (and maybe wrong).

Hope you find it worthwhile to read and if you any other suggestions yourself, leave a comment on the page, reply on the Ascendant Justice forums or just here.

Ramirez

Dani said:

I had a conversation the other night and the above article is the result. I sat down and thought what I would want a potential Halo remake to do right (and maybe wrong).

Hope you find it worthwhile to read and if you any other suggestions yourself, leave a comment on the page, reply on the Ascendant Justice forums or just here.

I think you guys are absolutely insane if you think a CE remake won't have online MP. There's literally no point to it at all if you leave out one of the best features it offered.

If a CE remake is coming, I would have to assume it's going to be a retail game, if ODST was a retail game, then so will this. They won't take MP out of a retail game, I think the backlash for such a foolish thing would be huge.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Ramirez said:
I think you guys are absolutely insane if you think a CE remake won't have online MP. There's literally no point to it at all if you leave out one of the best features it offered.

If a CE remake is coming, I would have to assume it's going to be a retail game, if ODST was a retail game, then so will this. They won't take MP out of a retail game, I think the backlash for such a foolish thing would be huge.

In the article I explained why I don't think we'll see traditional competitive multiplayer in a potential CEmake. It fragments the user base and hurts Microsoft's ability to generate revenue via future Reach DLC.

I think multiplayer would exist as it exists in ODST, as Co-Op only.

Personally, I would love to see proper multiplayer, but I just don't see it happening. If ODST can be released as it was, then I cannot rule out a CEmake emulating it.

I don't think the backlash would be huge either. Obviously the internet is a great home for outrage but I don't think it would have a significant impact on the game's overall reception or sales.

Besides, if it did have multiplayer, it may as well be developed as a full game, so it would take longer to make and miss the 10th anniversary window and take away from Halo 4's development.

Ramirez said:

Agreed, I understand Dani's logic, but who the hell wants a remake just for the campaign!??

Personally I can go play the campaigns any time I want, its the multiplayer over live im excited for. Halo 1 and 2 and loved by fans and yet the only way to play them online is on the lackluster PC ports.

I also dont get why Reach's population being cut by a newer title would be a bad thing. As far as 343/ MS is concerned there will be a Halo title up there with a high population.

Dani said:
In the article I explained why I don't think we'll see traditional competitive multiplayer in a potential CEmake. It fragments the user base and hurts Microsoft's ability to generate revenue via future Reach DLC.

Personally, I would love to see proper multiplayer, but I just don't see it happening. If ODST can be released as it was, then I cannot rule out a CEmake emulating it.

I don't think the backlash would be huge either. Obviously the internet is a great home for outrage but I don't think it would have a significant impact on the game's overall reception or sales.

Besides, if it did have multiplayer, it may as well be developed as a full game, so it would take longer to make and miss the 10th anniversary window and take away from Halo 4's development.

Well how much longer do you think that Reach will receive DLC? H3's DLC release schedule after the first two packs was completely whack. I would assume that will we receive a third DLC in a couple of months (probably June) and then a fourth (and I assume final) DLC pack a few months after that (September would be my guess).

Ramirez said:

I'm on the fence about it. He does bring up a valid point with how it would cut into Reach's already diminished MM population. However, the inevitable backlash would be quite severe. Honestly I'd be more than content with an HD remake of campaign with just a few bells and whistles added (revamped enemy AI, inclusion of skulls, tweaking levels like the Library in order to make them less repetitive etc.). Anything else beyond that, especially when taking into account Bungie's apparent dissatisfaction with Halo:CE's MP sandbox, would be setting yourself up for potential disappointment.

Dammit, why don't people tag their maps with the map name. I'm trying to find these BTB maps that are going to be added to the playlist.

Did the Vidmaster achievement already happen? If not, I'll able to do it in an hour.

Consider it a GAF warmup to customs tonight.

If it doesn't happen, I'm going to watch Halo Legends for the first time. (I know, right?)

Speaking of Legends, here's the HD version of my League of Legends project.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Steelyuhas said:
Well how much longer do you think that Reach will receive DLC? H3's DLC release schedule after the first two packs was completely whack. I would assume that will we receive a third DLC in a couple of months (probably June) and then a fourth (and I assume final) DLC pack a few months after that (September would be my guess).

I hope we're still getting fresh new content this time next year. And the year after.

Hope, not expecting. =)

MrBig

Hitmonchan107 said:
Did the Vidmaster achievement already happen? If not, I'll able to do it in an hour.

Consider it a GAF warmup to customs tonight.

If it doesn't happen, I'm going to watch Halo Legends for the first time. (I know, right?)
The ghost run? Nope. I'll be up for that as well if we can get two other people.

I'm working on some halo art right now that I might be able to post tonight.

I sincerely hope this remake, if it's even happening, is all about the Halo:CE fans that have been begging for the ability to play the original multiplayer side of the game on xbox live. If they aren't doing that, then I really don't see the point in remaking the game. Over the past two weeks I have replayed through Halo:CE's campaign on normal, heroic, and legendary; and it was still enjoyable. The old graphics didn't even bother me. A remake of the original campaign, without any kind of online matchmaking offerings, is completely unnecessary and would be a waste of time in my opinion. And adding new campaign content would just be too weird. So the remainder of my post is only focused on online matchmaking.

This shouldn't be a competition with Reach: but an alternative for old fans who have given up on the series for changing too many things and for people who tried Reach out and didn't like it. If the remake is true to its roots, just watch all of the old die-hards come out of the wood work to form their own healthy player base. It's all dependent on how well the remake is done, but the two games should be like oil and water and completely different. I don't see many players liking both. It's going to be two extremes; and for that reason I don't want the Reach engine used. I would just prefer that the remake not have any association with Reach; although it wouldn't be the end of the world if the Reach engine was used.

"...and make the spray and pray Assault Rifle badass." Do not want. For me, the strange focus that the assault rifle has been given in Halo3 and in Halo: Reach has coincided with me liking the games less and less. While it could be coincidence, I think not.

Personally, I see way too many ways to fail in remaking the game. So a straight port (non-PC port that is) with minor tweaks and graphical changes seems safest. A company doesn't need to inspire me with a bunch of new changes, they just need to show me that they can keep the old feeling of playing Halo:CE lans the same, but on xbox live.

Dani said:
That all depends on when they started doesn't it? I always got the impression that it was a full game anyway.

Gui_PT

Deputy Moonman said:
This shouldn't be a competition with Reach: but an alternative for old fans who have given up on the series for changing too many things and for people who tried Reach out and didn't like it

Shouldn't, but will be (if it happens)

Karl2177

Just wasted 3 hours attempting the LASO with a friend. We were at 1 checkpoint for about 1 hour 45 minutes. Eventually we whittled down the tower to the Fuel Rod Brute, and it was basically invincible. Nothing including PP overcharges would take its shields down or knock it off.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Deputy Moonman said:
"...and make the spray and pray Assault Rifle badass." Do not want. For me, the strange focus that the assault rifle has been given in Halo3 and in Halo: Reach has coincided with me liking the games less and less. While it could be coincidence, I think not.

Bear in mind I was talking about the AR in respect to CE's campaign. I loved tearing through Grunts and shreadding Elite shields with that thing. Good times.

The Real Napsta said:
That all depends on when they started doesn't it? I always got the impression that it was a full game anyway.

The way I have come to see it (and a wise old man suggested it this way); a smaller project helps 343i establish itself. Gets them all working together and working with a Halo game before they tackle the big next Halo game. A small jog around the park before they run the marathon, so to speak.

Ramirez

Dani said:

Have you ever taken into consideration that maybe MS is completely ok with releasing maybe two more DLC packs, and sending Reach off into the sunset?

I personally believe they want 343i to become recognized and in the spotlight, no better way to do that than to have them release CE with online MP, the only Halo game to not have Live capability.

I really cannot think of a more dumb decision than to leave out online MP, I can't even believe that in 2011 we're even considering a game with a great MP to not have online capabilities.

If you're going to remake something, do it right, or not at all.

Louis Wu

Karl2177 said:
Just wasted 3 hours attempting the LASO with a friend. We were at 1 checkpoint for about 1 hour 45 minutes. Eventually we whittled down the tower to the Fuel Rod Brute, and it was basically invincible. Nothing including PP overcharges would take its shields down or knock it off.
I did the run solo - but I got stuck there too.

I tried Tyrant's super-long jetpack jump to avoid that section, and failed - a bunch of times. So I gave up and decided to play it the regular way. I got up to the top of the stairs... but was always pretty low on ammo, and simply could not take that friggin' brute out.

Then, after a ton of tries, MrBig posted a much, much shorter jetpack jump to avoid that section - so I gave it a try. After being stupid for a long time, I finally figured out how to do it -but since I'd already triggered all the baddies on top, I died pretty much the second I landed on the roof (because both turrets were shooting at me as I came in).

I decided to start over, because i knew i couldn't get by the first brute, and I knew I couldn't survive those friggin' turrets. Turns out that after you've tried as many times as I have, getting back to the jump location takes about 20 minutes. :)

At that point, jetpacking up to the roof avoids everything.

Dani said:

I see what you're saying, but wouldn't Microsoft be more interested in a new game that keeps Xbox360's and Xbox live a hot item as opposed to making scraps off of DLC for Reach? I see the potential for more revenue being brought in by supporting Halo:CE matchmaking on xbox live. And DLC for a Halo:CE remake cannot be ruled out, either.

Ramirez said:

If Reach was doing gangbusters and both DLC playlists didn't hover under 1k on a Saturday I think Dani would have a point. I don't see the effort of recreating CE in an entirely new engine being justified with how few copies of a SP/Co-op only CE they would sale. CE is easily available through games on demand and $10 copies at Gamestop/Amazon if people want to experience an unadulterated, CE experience. I'd say the majority of Halo fans probably never got to experience 4v4 matches in CE let a lone 8v8. That's a worthwhile proposition.

Uplifting everything and putting it in the Reach engine isn't such an obvious choice either. Million reasons why they wouldn't go that route so no clue why Dani dismisses it so easily.

No, upping the resolution (this can be done on the PC version), bumping up the textures (this can be done on the PC version too!) and adding online support just won’t cut it in today’s market and not for today’s fans.
HD port
HD port
HD port
HD port
HD port
HD port
HD port

Ramirez said:
I think you guys are absolutely insane if you think a CE remake won't have online MP.
My heart tells me it won't have multiplayer.

My personal preference would be for HD/60fps campaign/co-op/achievements as $15 XBLA title, OR a full remake in the Reach engine + Reach multiplayer & map packs for $45 (which MS will try to sell for $60).

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Ramirez said:
Have you ever taken into consideration that maybe MS is completely ok with releasing maybe two more DLC packs, and sending Reach off into the sunset?

I personally believe they want 343i to become recognized and in the spotlight, no better way to do that than to have them release CE with online MP, the only Halo game to not have Live capability.

I really cannot think of a more dumb decision than to leave out online MP, I can't even believe that in 2011 we're even considering a game with a great MP to not have online capabilities.

If you're going to remake something, do it right, or not at all.

I want Reach to have more than just a single year of post release support via DLC. I would like to see it extend well into year two after release.

There's going to be a major COD at the end of the year and another one the year after. Halo 3 managed to sustain great population numbers against such competition but I'm not sure if Reach has that durability, although I hope I'm wrong.

I want a nice, robust online experience, not long search times.

You are right, if a CEmake did have full online support, then it would make a better showcase than without it. I just don't see two major Halo FPS titles with online competitive multiplayer sitting right next to each other in such a small time frame.

Ramirez

NullPointer said:
My heart tells me it won't have multiplayer.

My personal preference would be for HD/60fps campaign/co-op/achievements as $15 XBLA title, OR a full remake in the Reach engine + Reach multiplayer & map packs for $45 (which MS will try to sell for $60).

There is no way they would remake Halo CE to put it on XBLA. You guys sure like to settle for less, I'm not getting the expectations in here at all.

Ramirez said:
There is no way they would remake Halo CE to put it on XBLA. You guys sure like to settle for less, I'm not getting the expectations in here at all.
XBLA would be the perfect place for it if it was just a HD version of the original campaign. If they actually remade the game in the Reach engine then I could see them asking more.

Ramirez

NullPointer said:
XBLA would be the perfect place for it if it was just a HD version of the original campaign. *If* they actually remade the game in the Reach engine then I could see them asking more.

But there's just no logical reason for that, there's so much more money to be made with a proper release.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Deputy Moonman said:
I see what you're saying, but wouldn't Microsoft be more interested in a new game that keeps Xbox360's and Xbox live a hot item as opposed to making scraps off of DLC for Reach? I see the potential for more revenue being brought in by supporting Halo:CE matchmaking on xbox live. And DLC for a Halo:CE remake cannot be ruled out, either.

I think there's two big factors. Money (obviously) and player base integrity. Sometimes it isn't always about money though.

Question, do people honestly think Microsoft would risk splitting Halo's active player base between two concurrent online Halo FPS titles?

The way I see it, CEmake would be just as profitable without competitive multiplayer as it would be with it, so from that perspective, I don't think they would include it.

Top Bottom