• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Dani said:
I want Reach to have more than just a single year of post release support via DLC. I would like to see it extend well into year two after release.

There's going to be a major COD at the end of the year and another one the year after. Halo 3 managed to sustain great population numbers against such competition but I'm not sure if Reach has that durability, although I hope I'm wrong.

I want a nice, robust online experience, not long search times.

You are right, if a CEmake did have full online support, then it would make a better showcase than without it. I just don't see two major Halo FPS titles with online competitive multiplayer sitting right next to each other in such a small time frame.

People are going to continue to play Reach past the first year, even if there is no more DLC. When a new DLC has come out, the population numbers in Reach have really not boosted back up, they have remained fairly constant.

I get the feeling that Reach's DLC has not sold nearly as well as H3's did (just a personal feeling really). Most of the players I know that I play with that I also played with in H3 bought all the H3 DLC day one, and haven't bought any Reach DLC.

DLC is great, and I will always buy it assuming I'm still playing the game, but I just don't think it has that large of an impact on the continued player base of the game, especially considering you are not really rewarded for buying the DLC, as they do not come up in matchmaking.

Topgun and Myself just completed the challenge faster than ANY OTHER mission.

The easiest part was by far the rails, you just needed team work. Jetpack can get you past most of the encounters.

vhfive

As much as I would like CE multiplayer in a remake I don't think that's what we're going to get (if we get a remake at all). I agree with ODST line of thought. I think we'll get the remake in the Reach engine and on another disc will be the Reach multiplayer with new maps. All the new maps will be remakes from old Halo games including 2 and 3 because honestly only a few CE maps (Battle Creek, Hang'em High, and Wizard which were all in 2) need to be remade.

Ramirez

Dani said:
I think there's two big factors. Money (obviously) and player base integrity. Sometimes it isn't always about money though.

Question, do people honestly think Microsoft would risk splitting Halo's active player base between two concurrent online Halo FPS titles?

The way I see it, CEmake would be just as profitable without competitive multiplayer as it would be with it, so from that perspective, I don't think they would include it.

Honestly, by the time BF3,Gears 3, & new COD come out, how many people do you think will still be playing Reach consistently? The game has a pretty lackluster population as it is, those games are just going to take away even more.

Ramirez said:
Honestly, by the time BF3,Gears 3, & new COD come out, how many people do you think will still be playing Reach consistently? The game has a pretty lackluster population as it is, those games are just going to take away even more.
But what if they release DLC?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Ramirez said:

Less. I wouldn't hazard any more of an exact guess but I'm sure there will be less players when all those titles hit.

But would an online CEmake bring in new players? Would it stop players from playing those other games you've mentioned? Wouldn't it simply fragment the Halo fans between two games instead of one?

An online CEmake with competitive multiplayer would be disastrous for Reach's online numbers. It would half numbers or worse and with all those other games coming out that you've mentioned...

I just can't see them cannibalising Reach's (hotly disputed to be already comparatively lower) population like that.

Dani said:
I think there's two big factors. Money (obviously) and player base integrity. Sometimes it isn't always about money though.

Question, do people honestly think Microsoft would risk splitting Halo's active player base between two concurrent online Halo FPS titles?

The way I see it, CEmake would be just as profitable without competitive multiplayer as it would be with it, so from that perspective, I don't think they would include it.

There are a lot of people who play Halo just for the multiplayer. For a game to do well now it needs to have it. A lot of people who are new to the series would be put off by the lack of multiplayer, and a lot of the hardcore multiplayer only fans would also be put off.

As for 'splitting the population', I wouldnt be suprised if the newer title simply stole the population, but that said as long as matchmaking works for the newest game im sure MS would be happy.

Dani said:
Less. I wouldn't hazard any more of an exact guess but I'm sure there will be less players when all those titles hit.

But would an online CEmake bring in new players? Would it stop players from playing those other games you've mentioned? Wouldn't it simply fragment the Halo fans between two games instead of one?

An online CEmake with competitive multiplayer would be disastrous for Reach's online numbers. It would half numbers or worse and with all those other games coming out that you've mentioned...

I just can't see them cannibalising Reach's (hotly disputed to be already comparatively lower) population like that.

I hate to be a dick about things, but im sure there are a lot of old school halo fans that would play a Halo CE remake more than they play Reach. Thats the thing, the Halo CE remake getting released after the other big titles coming out stands a good chance of taking population away from those games. If its a simple population argument then I think a new multiplayer component would do better than Reachs could. Especially if its released after the bigger games already come out.

vhfive

bobs99 ... said:
I hate to be a dick about things, but im sure there are a lot of old school halo fans that would play a Halo CE remake more than they play Reach. Thats the thing, the Halo CE remake getting released after the other big titles coming out stands a good chance of taking population away from those games. If its a simple population argument then I think a new multiplayer component would do better than Reachs could.
and as long as it has living dead and grifball the majority of Reach's population won't care.
amirite

Lake Minnetonka said:
But what if they release DLC?

So on top of buying a slew of new fall games (and playing them obviously), you think a large number of people are going to spend more money to buy DLC that is integrated poorly for a year old game?

The hardcore that are going to continue to play Reach no matter what comes out probably will, but the masses, doubtful in my opinion.

vhfive said:
and as long as it has living dead and grifball the majority of Reach's population won't care.
amirite

Yes.

You are right sir

ElRenoRaven

You're crazy without a doubt. If a Halo: CE remake removed the multiplayer it would fail. That simple. You can't remove half the game. Either remake it completely or don't remake it at all.

vhfive said:
amirite

Damn your right! The hammer doesn't exist in Halo CE, which means no Grifball. No Grifball means no reason to play the game!!! amirite!??

Frankie, shut down the 343 sweatshop you have running, put down the whip and let everyone out, Halo CE remake is going to be a failure.
:(

MrBig

I don't want a commercial CE remake yet. It has only been one generation. There isn't enough of a reason to make it on this generation. Maybe for the 15th anniversary but not now. The technology for making something that would really give something like that a meaning just isn't in the consoles yet.

Gui_PT said:
Who's interested in that Vidmaster achievement?
I can get on now.

PsychoRaven said:
You're crazy without a doubt. If a Halo: CE remake removed the multiplayer it would fail. That simple. You can't remove half the game. Either remake it completely or don't remake it at all.
I'd still buy it. It might turn a lot of people off but I don't think Microsoft would fragment the userbase.

PsychoRaven said:
Couldn't disagree more. Current fans would want to play the best Halo campaign in HD, and people who only jumped into the series on the 360 would have the best way to experience the original.

I think people are looking at Halo's multiplayer with nostalgia tinted glasses.

NullPointer said:
Couldn't disagree more. Current fans would want to play the best Halo campaign in HD, and people who only jumped into the series on the 360 would have the best way to experience the original.

I think you have a point there. A lot of people look back so fondly on Halo 1's multiplayer because of the situations they played it in. It was all on the same couch, lan partys and that sort of thing. It was fun for reasons other than just the core game.

There's no way a remade multiplayer would live up to people's expectations and I don't see the point in adding yet another multiplayer game into an already crowded market. Especially one that already has a Halo game (or two) in it.

And personally I'd buy a Halo HD campaign only remake in a heart beat.

Kuroyume

Banned
Releasing a Halo: CE remake without multiplayer would be like selling someone a book with 50 pages missing. It's kind of pointless. I mean what would be the draw besides the graphics? We don't want them to include new weapons, enemies, and vehicles, thus screwing around with the original game right? We just want Halo: CE with a new skin and online multiplayer. I've never played CE multiplayer so a remake would have to incorporate the multiplayer part of the game to have me interested and I'm sure that goes for most other people as well.

Just reading this split userbase argument over and over is just stupid. Why is it when there are annual installments of COD or the sports games no one raises their arms in the air in panic crying about split userbases, but when Halo is brought up the Halo nerds get in a panic with speculation? It doesn't matter at this point. I don't think Reach DLC is setting the world on fire in terms of sales... At least that's the impression I get when I look at the DLC playlists or the Defiant map pack on sale like a month later.

I enjoyed Reach even with the stupid flaws but I'm already looking for the next Halo and I sure as hell would not mind a small appetizer before we get the next big game. Reach has made me feel okay with the idea of annual Halo games. juices made a point a few days ago that I felt was true... Reach only came out a short while ago but it feels like it's been out there for years now. I want a new Halo.

Kuroyume said:
... We just want Halo: CE with a new skin and online multiplayer. I've never played CE multiplayer so a remake would have to incorporate the multiplayer part of the game to have me interested and I'm sure that goes for most other people as well.
Lets just agree to disagree then :p

I think there is far more interest in playing through the Halo CE campaign with an improved framerate and resolution, online co-op and achievements than some here think.

NullPointer said:

This.

Also many here are under the assumption that the MP component of a CE remake would somehow be identical to the original when Bungie has made it quite clear that things such as the TSK pistol were detrimental to the weapon sandbox. Even if it were included I seriously doubt that it would meet up to the expectations of those who had the pleasure of experiencing the original brand of MP back in the day.

eeblogue

Neo Member
We could see something like Halo 3 ODST with the Halo CE campaign being remade with the Reach engine and a bunch of Halo CE multiplayer maps remade for the Halo: Reach multiplayer.

EDIT: Sorry, just realised that this has been mentioned a few times.

eeblogue said:
We could see something like Halo 3 ODST with the Halo CE campaign being remade with the Reach engine and a bunch of Halo CE multiplayer maps remade for the Halo: Reach multiplayer.

I could live with that.

Hey You

I would prefer the full might of the 343i dev team focused on the new Halo game. That's where the moneys at.

I want Microsoft to focus on Supporting Reach right up until the next Halo game and making sure the next game is kick ass.

Not splitting resources on something that probably won't even make half the money of a Full, New Halo Game.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
NullPointer said:

I think there is far more interest in playing through the Halo CE campaign with an improved framerate and resolution, online co-op and achievements than some here think.

I agree, there is, but there's also an interest in playing CE online on the 360.

I'll settle for a CE remake either way, to be honest.

The way I see it, it seems like the CE remake could be re-mastered in HD, online co-op, achievements and bundled with new Reach maps with a $59.99 price tag slapped on it.

Microsoft is a business and while they are always looking for ways to make money, they also know how to set their expectations for the things they sell accordingly. Is it unrealistic to expect Halo 4 to sell at least 3 million units in the US alone on the month it launches? No.

Is it unrealistic for them to expect the CE remake to do the same? Yes, and they know that.

The CE remake will be more of a fan service (and a damn good one) above all else.

kylej said:
lmao. You wonder why I play blops? I can't handle any more incompetence.

I'm sure these new changes will be bangers that bring the Classic playlists above 300 people. I'm sure.

I've been playing BLOPS and GoW3 lately and been having a blast, I haven't played much Halo in the last few weeks. The incompetence of really bad decisions in MM is just so disheartening. They don't know what they are doing. Hire Juices.

ElRenoRaven

NullPointer said:

And I think there is far more interest in playing it's multiplayer online with friends then some here think. However I agree. Let's agree to disagree.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Domino Theory said:
I agree, there is, but there's also an interest in playing CE online on the 360.

I'll settle for a CE remake either way, to be honest.

The way I see it, it seems like the CE remake could be re-mastered in HD, online co-op, achievements and bundled with new Reach maps with a $59.99 price tag slapped on it.

Microsoft is a business and while they are always looking for ways to make money, they also know how to set their expectations for the things they sell accordingly. Is it unrealistic to expect Halo 4 to sell at least 3 million units in the US alone on the month it launches? No.

Is it unrealistic for them to expect the CE remake to do the same? Yes, and they know that.

The CE remake will be more of a fan service (and a damn good one) above all else.

If I was a betting man, I'd bet on you being 100% correct.

GhaleonEB

Dani said:
If I was a betting man, I'd bet on you being 100% correct.
I agree, and I'd just add that including several remakes of Halo 1 maps with the Reach set, ODST-style, is what I'm expecting from the remake. HD remake in the Reach engine, online co-op, theater, and all the trimmings. Then the complete Reach MP with new MP maps from Halo 1.

From a process standpoint, I think it makes sense for 343 to have a remake be their first game. But I'd still rather see the resources go to something new.

Did anyone like my Survival gametype? Dislike it? Indifferent?

It's been downloaded over 100 times, and it has three likes, but nobody has said anything about it.

GhaleonEB

Hitmonchan107 said:
Did anyone like my Survival gametype? Dislike it? Indifferent?

It's been downloaded over 100 times, and it has three likes, but nobody has said anything about it.
I played it but forgot to comment on it. I liked it, but have two suggestions.

It's probably because I've played the piss out of Firefight Limited, but my one comment would be to use some different enemy combinations. Because I was familiar with them all the mode felt too familiar to me as I've faced the same enemy configurations many times, so it wasn't a challenge.

The other would be to juggle skulls more often - every Wave - and tailor them to the enemies that appear in each. Turn Catch on for a wave with Grunts, then toggle it off but turn Mythic on for a Brute wave (with Jackal secondary so Nerfles are supplied). That would add a specialized variety to each Wave, rather than Round, and mix things up a lot more. (I might give that kind of thing a go myself.)

Props for making it, we need more custom Firefight variants.

Tunavi

Banned
Game force quit during the Vidmaster challenge.
Then the game force quit during ODST achievement hunting. Ugh. It was fun anyways guys

Tunavi

Banned
Gui_PT said:
That was my plan all along!!!
HomerChokeBart.gif

Just read through the MM updates for May.

So they plan on ruining BTB and TS/TD/and Arena by adding community maps. Even though there is already dedicated playlists for this exact reason. Good stuff.

The 4 Classic objective types they plan on adding will be AR starts...So the playlist will now mostly be AR starts.

Squad Slayer another redundant slayer playlist will be added. Everyone go in parties of 3 if you want to dong since there will be no party restrictions that way!

Striker

xxjuicesxx said:
Just read through the MM updates for May.

So they plan on ruining BTB and TS/TD/and Arena by adding community maps. Even though there is already dedicated playlists for this exact reason. Good stuff.
Have you looked at the Community maps for BTB? The revision for Paradiso looks head and shoulders stronger than its original self. Hopefully this means Paradiso is getting replaced by it. Makes no sense to have both. The other maps I've seen look interesting. Much improved over the bunch they selected in Community BTB.

I haven't seen much of the Team Slayer maps. But it's Community Slayer now anyway.

Also have no idea what maps they're adding to Arena. But more maps in there can't hurt. They can now hopefully release Boardwalk from it.

Top Bottom