• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

MrBig

GhaleonEB said:
I just wish the Revenant physics glitch were fixed, and the custom file name over write addressed. Three times while working on the updated Crossroads, it erased the map and replaced it with Sword Base, while keeping the file name. I'd load up Crossroads 2.5 and get Sword Base, and have to revert a version and go from there. It's one of the reasons I save a bunch of different versions.
I'd say 60% of my time in Reach has been spent in Forge. Never had this happen a single time.

I wait for everything to finish loading before selecting anything and then on top of that I've started saving separate copies of maps for each major revision, because of stories posted on here, but have still never had an overright or loss of changes.

Increased Spartan attributes to Classic settings (excluding reduced melee damage)

Round One: Tough Luck and Catch
Round Two: Tough Luck, Mythic, Catch, Red Skull (enemies are more aware)
Round Three: Tough Luck, Mythic, Cloud, Catch, Blue Skull (enemies are stronger, more aware and trigger happy)

Spare Lives: 0

Set the initial and boss waves for all three rounds to ordered.
This means the initial and boss waves increase in intensity as the game progresses.

Recommended difficulty: Heroic

Recommended No. of players: 2

Download it here.

wwm0nkey

Havok said:
Especially since they haven't had an Xbox SKU without some form of storage on the market for over nine months.
Exactly, change Halo: Reach to a HDD required game and release an update that makes engine, custom game, and .map changes. We know its possible but would probably take maybe a 250-500MB update which I am fine with :lol

vhfive

MrBig said:
I'd say 60% of my time in Reach has been spent in Forge. Never had this happen a single time.

I wait for everything to finish loading before selecting anything and then on top of that I've started saving separate copies of maps for each major revision, because of stories posted on here, but have still never had an overright or loss of changes.
It's happened to me twice, once causing me to lose a map that was about 90% completed.

Also the glitch that makes it impossible to rotate an object to a certain degree is annoying as well

GhaleonEB

When doing missions such as ONI and Tip of the Spear, I've taken to not letting the AI use vehicles in any capacity. They are ineffective to the point of being hazardous on the turret, and alternate between homicidal and suicidal when driving. (Kat is both at the same time.)

I just tote vehicles around and park them as stationary turrets as needed, or do vehicle sections on foot. Most of the time I transport AI such as Kat to far regions of the map where they can do no harm, and then proceed from there. I got lazy on my attempt to do the daily Challenge on ONI just now.

I paid the price. I like how he calls out "Reinforcements!" as he barrels on through.

Gonna take to just blowing up the spare Warthogs from now on to neuter the bastards.

Havok

GhaleonEB said:
When doing missions such as ONI and Tip of the Spear, I've taken to not letting the AI use vehicles in any capacity. They are ineffective to the point of being hazardous on the turret, and alternate between homicidal and suicidal when driving. (Kat is both at the same time.)
Its funny, because I remember a weekly update talking about how the AI in previous games didn't know how the Warthog actually steered (with all four wheels turning instead of just the front) and that they'd be much better at it in Reach. As it turns out, it makes them far worse. I don't remember ever having as much trouble with them in Halo 3 (I got on that Mongoose on The Storm allll the time).

Tawpgun

My god I miss BTB. What the hell happened.

:(

Imagine. Halo 4 BTB. Dedi Servers. Awesome Maps. Fantastic vehicle balance.

Ughghghg.

kylej

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
My god I miss BTB. What the hell happened.

:(

Imagine. Halo 4 BTB. Dedi Servers. Awesome Maps. Fantastic vehicle balance.

Ughghghg.

343i baby. Believe in big daddy Franklin O'.

GhaleonEB said:

I just tote vehicles around and park them as stationary turrets as needed, or do vehicle sections on foot. Most of the time I transport AI such as Kat to far regions of the map where they can do no harm, and then proceed from there. I got lazy on my attempt to do the daily Challenge on ONI just now.

I paid the price. I like how he calls out "Reinforcements!" as he barrels on through.

Gonna take to just blowing up the spare Warthogs from now on to neuter the bastards.
I never let the AI drive me in any of the main Halo games, but I do let them use the turret in Reach. I don't think they're bad at all in that role.

I'm going to be on for the next three hours.

Would anybody else like to play?

If enough people join, we can run through some Halo 3 BTB.

GT: Hitmonchan107

Ken

Hitmonchan107 said:

Halo 3? I'll try to join in a few minutes after I submit a paper.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
I never let the AI drive me in any of the main Halo games, but I do let them use the turret in Reach. I don't think they're bad at all in that role.
They're terrible, worse than any other game in the series. They have very limited range - they won't fire the Gauss Hog unless you're in range for return fire - and they fire the chain gun in small, short pulses, even if there's a Ghost in point blank range pounding on us.

Edit: Sorry for bailing, Squid, I just couldn't take the maps any longer. Hours spent on terrible maps just put me in a really sour mood.

Annnnnnnnnd Waterfront again. AAAAAAAAARAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH

Striker

Havok said:
Oh, and Bungie/343 guys, if you're reading this, can we get this part of the matchmaking screen back?

b7df7c.png

It's helpful to not have to remember what every variant of every objective gametype is in every playlist, since they vary in such minute ways sometimes. There's plenty of screen real estate, and I think it would help newer players who don't know what the naming changes do (Pro, Classic, etc.). This is one of those usability changes that it seems like everybody up there forgot about when making the next few games, because they're never mentioned anywhere.

(and yes, I was watching a youtube video of when BTB was really fun.)
Can we have that game back?

vhfive

Hitmonchan107 said:

would love to but I'm 200 miles away from my xbox :(

Havok

Striker said:
Can we have that game back?
I'll just say what I've said a few times before: if Microsoft wasn't intending to do something with Halo 2, whether it be a rerelease or whatever, it would be on Games on Demand.

Karl2177

Dax01 said:
It's so much fun on The Ark to let them drive you around in a Mongoose before you get to the wall section and through it. If you go Sniper/Rockets, you can take down any enemy and it makes the whole experience 20x more enjoyable. Of course you can't do this on Legendary, but Heroic poses incredible challenge if you've practiced it enough.

Another fun one is to let them fly you to the Scarabs on the Covenant, instead of flying your Hornet there yourself. They'll get so high above it, and you just do an ODST drop on top of them and take them out while still moving.

Reach's allied AI is stupid, while the enemy AI cheats. It doesn't make any situation fun. To add to it, there are hardly any fun encounters that I reload missions to play. In Halos 1, 2, and 3 I'd play straight through multiple times.

Karl2177 said:
It's so much fun on The Ark to let them drive you around in a Mongoose before you get to the wall section and through it. If you go Sniper/Rockets, you can take down any enemy and it makes the whole experience 20x more enjoyable. Of course you can't do this on Legendary, but Heroic poses incredible challenge if you've practiced it enough.

Another fun one is to let them fly you to the Scarabs on the Covenant, instead of flying your Hornet there yourself. They'll get so high above it, and you just do an ODST drop on top of them and take them out while still moving.

Reach's allied AI is stupid, while the enemy AI cheats. It doesn't make any situation fun. To add to it, there are hardly any fun encounters that I reload missions to play. In Halos 1, 2, and 3 I'd play straight through multiple times.

One thing that I really missed is the long vehicel levels. In Halo 3 you had Tsavo Highway, The Ark and the Covenant. In Reach, the only vehicel level that I consider on par with one of those levels is New Alexandria.
Oni Sword Base and Tip of the Spear were certainly designed for vehicel combat but the parts were really short and there weren't any really fun vehicel encounters. I thing the absense of the Chopper plays a big part in this, they were really fun to combat.

I would have loved something that we saw from the PAX video (atleast I think it was) were you were driving trough that large deasert with many other warthogs on your side.
That would have really given the game some sense of scale.
I think 75% of the players has missed the Huge Battles going on in the background....

And another thing I really missed are the Scarab battles, Why couldn't they make that as a part of the last level, maybe destroying a Scarab climbing towards the POA.

Well, I could go on and on about how I would have changed the campain, canon whise and gameplay whise.

Tha Robbertster said:
I would have loved something that we saw from the PAX video (atleast I think it was) were you were driving trough that large deasert with many other warthogs on your side.
That would have really given the game some sense of scale.
I think 75% of the players has missed the Huge Battles going on in the background....

And another thing I really missed are the Scarab battles, Why couldn't they make that as a part of the last level, maybe destroying a Scarab climbing towards the POA.

Well, I could go on and on about how I would have changed the campain, canon whise and gameplay whise.
That's a cutscene, and it's in the game.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
No, he was talking about a mission demo. It was a prototype of a large vehicle battle in the desert that you actually play.

Edit: I deleted the Defiant Map Pack off my system so I don't get stuck with Unearthed any longer. That will probably affect my participation in customs.

GhaleonEB said:
No, he was talking about a mission demo. It was a prototype of a large vehicle battle in the desert that you actually play.
Well you can understand my confusion! I never heard of this demo. Sounds awesome.

MrBig

Dax01 said:
That was not a cutscene. It was a cut part of TotS that would have played more like the ark than the more corridor experience than we ended up with.

My view from Reach from the first play through is that they really missed their mark on the delivery of scale and impactful scenes. There was nothing like the huge vehicle and sandbox encounters like there was in H3. The far off UNSC vs Covenant skybox encounters are disconnected from a player. They don't seem like they are a part of the action so you either don't notice them or don't care. They promised a return to Halo 1's awe inspiring scale and instead we got what I believe to be the most scripted and closed off encounters of the series. It was all just so bland. I feel no want to play any levels over again like I did with all the other games. AotCR, tSC, Outskirts, Metropolis, Great Journey, The Ark, Covenant, and Halo are the only levels in the series that are of any great worth to me. Nothing from Reach compares.

Gui_PT

Dax01 said:
Nah, I hadn't seen it before. Or I did and completely forgot about it. I LOVE what I saw. Looked so epic!

Sorry then, my bad.

And yeah, it looks awesome. Too bad we didn't even get 10% for that =\

They had their reasons not to make a level like that though, I'm sure.

Tunavi

Banned
Playing Halo 3 now with Hitmonchan and Choco. Anyone is free to join

EDIT: My god, how do I speak to my team without pressing up on the Dpad. This shit is ridiculous.

Tunavi said:
Playing Halo 3 now with Hitmonchan and Choco. Anyone is free to join

EDIT: My god, how do I speak to my team without pressing up on the Dpad. This shit is ridiculous.
Push to talk is the devil!

"Someone get in the Mongoose and drive me to the base! WTF?! Hello?!"

*dies*

And then I realized I wasn't hitting the d-pad. Hahaha!

Despite that, I love this game.

Kibbles

Gui_PT said:
He meant a test level with dozens of vehicles fighting at the same time in a large level

Edit: Beaten

Edit2: Pretty sure you saw it, Dax:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_367420&v=pZs8ryXP4kE#t=7m45s

Skip to 7:45 if necessary
That looks freaking awesome, I forgot about that. That space combat part around 6:30 reminds me of a mode I wanted I wanted where there were two enemy ships and the objective was to get over to the other ship and arm a bomb and blow that fucker up. Sort of like Battlefield 2142's Titan mode, but with the combat on space and in the ships instead of on the ground. There would be tons of air vehicles obviously, and on-board turrets on the ships. Awesome battle-scenes played out in my head.

Just got my Onza!

I only had time to get one game of Score Attack in but I'll probably need a good couple hours to adjust. Its a huge adjustment cause not only is the controller build different the buttons are all different and the three shoulder buttons make you remap your whole control scheme in your mind.

Anyone know of any decent setups? Using BJ, I have my AA on my right bumper remap, and reload on my left one so I can jump, reload, use my aa fire, nade, and beatdown all with my tops. I think? I forgot, but I had a lot of stuff mapped to the top.

I'm liking that I can have a high sensitivity and greater control with the tension. You can get a lot of tension added, my god it almost tires my thumb out after a game. I just added tension to the aimer I don't see a reason for the left one at the moment. Traditional controller felt too loose for me and on ten a little tap can move a lot in the wrong direction. Also theres almost no dead zone on the Onza so little tiny movements in the aimer start way before they would on a normal controller. Thats really good for games like CoD and when scoped in, in Halo.

Plastic isn't as rubberized as I'd like, its somewhere in between a normal plastic and a silicon grip, but closer to the plastic.

Also the cord is friggen long and has that breakout cable so if you trip over it you won't fuck shit up.

Whats that problem that people were having with the Onza? I'll look for it but didn't notice anything yet. Something with a left bumper?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
MrBig said:
You can have a ping of like 300 and still have green bars :lol
they mean almost nothing.
How does that happen if I'm the only person using my connection?

Also why are they like this now when they were better in H3?

MrBig

Plywood said:
How does that happen if I'm the only person using my connection?

Also why are they like this now when they were better in H3?
Everyone in your neighborhood or building who is using the same ISP is using the same wire as you. And then you're connecting to people all over the country under all sorts of different conditions.

equil

xxjuicesxx said:
Just got my Onza!

I only had time to get one game of Score Attack in but I'll probably need a good couple hours to adjust. Its a huge adjustment cause not only is the controller build different the buttons are all different and the three shoulder buttons make you remap your whole control scheme in your mind.

Anyone know of any decent setups? Using BJ, I have my AA on my right bumper remap, and reload on my left one so I can jump, reload, use my aa fire, nade, and beatdown all with my tops. I think? I forgot, but I had a lot of stuff mapped to the top.

I'm liking that I can have a high sensitivity and greater control with the tension. You can get a lot of tension added, my god it almost tires my thumb out after a game. I just added tension to the aimer I don't see a reason for the left one at the moment. Traditional controller felt too loose for me and on ten a little tap can move a lot in the wrong direction. Also theres almost no dead zone on the Onza so little tiny movements in the aimer start way before they would on a normal controller. Thats really good for games like CoD and when scoped in, in Halo.

Plastic isn't as rubberized as I'd like, its somewhere in between a normal plastic and a silicon grip, but closer to the plastic.

Also the cord is friggen long and has that breakout cable so if you trip over it you won't fuck shit up.

Whats that problem that people were having with the Onza? I'll look for it but didn't notice anything yet. Something with a left bumper?

I set mine up with Recon so that i could jump with the top left bumper, sprint with bottom left bumper, punch with top right and reload with bottom right.

I like most of the features of the onza but theres something about the sticks that bugs me. I dont know if its that i cant get the sensitivity right or what, but i run into alot of slow turn in certain situations. Another thing about the sticks is that the rubber makes it slippery if your fingers sweat.

And just a heads up if you use recon, sometimes i go to beat someone down and end up hitting reload instead. And for some reason you cant cancel the reload animation unless you change weapons.

Only other problem ive noticed is that you can hear a slight clicking sound in your mic. But its only on my side, no one else can hear it, and its kind of random, doesnt always do it.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
MrBig said:
Everyone in your neighborhood or building who is using the same ISP is using the same wire as you. And then you're connecting to people all over the country under all sorts of different conditions.
Fucking internets.

+1 to anyone who caught my Eegra reference.

Yes I ran into a slow turn situation too. Not sure what caused it. I was adjusting my sticks at the time. Hopefully it won't happen too often?

For the tension I have left one loose as possible right one tight as possible. Sensitivity 10. I seem to get good precision but right now its crap cause I'm not adjusted.

Thx. Ill try recon setup when I get a chance.

equil

xxjuicesxx said:
Yes I ran into a slow turn situation too. Not sure what caused it. I was adjusting my sticks at the time. Hopefully it won't happen too often?

For the tension I have left one loose as possible right one tight as possible. Sensitivity 10. I seem to get good precision but right now its crap cause I'm not adjusted.

Thx. Ill try recon setup when I get a chance.

I tried that too lol. If you turn the tightness all the way up and use 10, you cant really use vehicles. It takes 10 years to turn.

Havok

The BTB update can't come soon enough. Three of the six voting options just now were BTB Snipers (Boardwalk, Spire, and Boneyard), and the rest were Slayer on Paradiso, Multiflag on Paradiso (which was not chosen in the end, either because Paradiso is terrible or the playlist population hates palateable gametypes), and the sixth was another awful thing. Use your imagination. The first round of voting we did in the playlist had two Headhunters and a Stockpile.

Who approved this in the first place?

Tunavi

Banned
Wow. Just went into Halo 3 team slayer by myself. My entire team ended up quitting, So it was 1v4 by myself.
I was down 6-10 with 5 minutes left, I went beast mode and got like 7 kills in 1 minute, battling it out left and right. Granted they weren't good, but it felt great. Ended up winning 16-14.

JdFoX187

Banned
Havok said:
The BTB update can't come soon enough. Three of the six voting options just now were BTB Snipers (Boardwalk, Spire, and Boneyard), and the rest were Slayer on Paradiso, Multiflag on Paradiso (which was not chosen in the end, either because Paradiso is terrible or the playlist population hates palateable gametypes), and the sixth was another awful thing. Use your imagination. The first round of voting we did in the playlist had two Headhunters and a Stockpile.

Who approved this in the first place?
It sort of became a running joke as we went along this evening, but we did have some awfully shit game type and map combinations tonight. I still contend Jeremiah's statement about a focus on more flag and assault will lead to more One Flag on Spire and Boneyard, and we already know how those two went tonight.

Top Bottom