• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

I think this weekly will be a great motivation for me to get the achievement where you've to get 1.000.000 milion points. Before Reach was released, a friend and I made a promise that we would get it in a way without ''boosting''.

Hey You

I'm super glad this weeklies a FF (Probably not as much as Ghal) but disappointed its not something that's required to do in FF matchmaking.

Oh well easy 10k.

Plywood said:
Why would you have to playtest a newly placed killzone? Or playtest removing drop shields from Objective? Or any other simple thing that takes a few moments to change?
I don't know. I thought I remember someone saying that they have to extensively test everything to make sure it won't break the game, even if its a simple gametype change made by Bungie.

If I"m wrong, the MM team is really lacking.

GhaleonEB

Hey You said:
I'm super glad this weeklies a FF (Probably not as much as Ghal) but disappointed its not something that's required to do in FF matchmaking.
I won't examine the teeth of this particular gift horse too much, as I am glad it's a FF one, but it's an odd Challenge. The first that doesn't have to be done in matchmaking. I get 6k credits for a good full game - one Set - of Firefight Limited, and playing this on normal settings will take three times as long, so in terms of payout it's anemic. What it does is make me wish I could do more than one Set in matchmaking. :(

If anyone wants to partner up for a run through it on normal settings, hit me up any night this week.
squidhands said:
I may mess around with a gametype to make it more like ODST's settings. Could be fun.

Edit: Hitmonchan107's gametype seems like it would fit the bill, with minor tweaks to the sets.
My suggested settings for an ODST-style game, though personally I like the AA's in Reach's version. I'll put one together tonight if I have time, or if no one beats me to it.

GhaleonEB said:
I won't examine the teeth of this particular gift horse too much, as I am glad it's a FF one, but it's an odd Challenge. The first that doesn't have to be done in matchmaking. I get 6k credits for a good full game - one Set - of Firefight Limited, and playing this on normal settings will take three times as long, so in terms of payout it's anemic. What it does is make me wish I could do more than one Set in matchmaking. :(

If anyone wants to partner up for a run through it on normal settings, hit me up any night this week.
I may mess around with a gametype to make it more like ODST's settings. Could be fun.

Edit: Hitmonchan107's gametype seems like it would fit the bill, with minor tweaks to the sets.

Kind of a cool weekly even though I am definitely in the camp of people that thinks weeklies should be actual weekly challenges like juices said.

Still shocked and confused that people like Sword Base. As for Powerhouse, easily one of the best maps in the game, but I feel like it is never played in matchmaking.

I won't be able to play this week, which is a shame because i would be down to party up for the weekly.

Havok

Interestingly, it appears that the Sets don't have to be in the same game (just on the same map), as we restarted after the first set due to network issues and got it after three more the next try. So you could conceivably play four games of Firefight Limited to get the challenge as long as you got the same map each time, and end up with way more credits due to the Game Complete bonuses. I wish they'd be more explicit with some of their challenge descriptions.

Hey You

Hmm I just completed 4 sets with a guest controller and it didn't give me the challenge.

Edit: Weird, as soon as I ended the game and went back to the lobby the challenge popped up saying complete.

Crucio

This weekly is gonna be sweet. I'm gonna go default settings on Beachhead or Courtyard.

The easiest way to get the appropriate settings is to use the "Go to appropriate playlist" button on the challenge. It sets everything for you.

wwm0nkey

Dear 343i,

Please put dedicated server browsers up for un-ranked/custom games like section 8: Prejudice please in the new Halo game.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Lake Minnetonka said:
fusion coil valhalla
That was a Shishka oversight. :p
Hey You said:
I don't know. I thought I remember someone saying that they have to extensively test everything to make sure it won't break the game, even if its a simple gametype change made by Bungie.
That's stupid and really slows down the process. Yet Renegade's broken killzones made it through. I've complained about Sword Base infection being broken for months now and still not a change, a simple killzone placement.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Dang, dude. Are you still on? I might play all night.

This is the first time since September that I've wanted to play Halo for hours.

Would anyone be interested in a weekly Halo 3 get together?

And, of course, I'm always down for ODST Firefight.

Yes!

I have just got the Gears beta so I might be addicted to that for a bit, but Halo 3 is always my true love. :p

Plywood said:
That was a Shishka oversight. :p

That's stupid and really slows down the process. Yet Renegade's broken killzones made it through. I've complained about Sword Base infection being broken for months now and still not a change, a simple killzone placement.

Scratch out sword base on your disk :p

GhaleonEB

Havok said:
Interestingly, it appears that the Sets don't have to be in the same game (just on the same map), as we restarted after the first set due to network issues and got it after three more the next try. So you could conceivably play four games of Firefight Limited to get the challenge as long as you got the same map each time, and end up with way more credits due to the Game Complete bonuses. I wish they'd be more explicit with some of their challenge descriptions.
I am guessing from the description that they do not have to be either consecutive or on the same map. Generally challenges fall into one of two categories, grinds over the course of the Challenge duration (day or week), or single-instance (one game/round/mission); Challenges of the latter category usually specify, while the former do not. Going from your experience, and because this one does not have such a condition attached, I think it just means, complete four Sets of Firefight this week.

I haven't looked to see if anyone has validated that, but it could be tested quickly either in customs or by romping through two Arcade games to completion. If that proves to be the case I'll probably just pick it up over the course of my normal Firefight Limited play this week. (And help my daughter do it in a wacky custom game.)

Havok

GhaleonEB said:
I am guessing from the description that they do not have to be either consecutive or on the same map. Generally challenges fall into one of two categories, grinds over the course of the Challenge duration (day or week), or single-instance (one game/round/mission); Challenges of the latter category usually specify, while the former do not. Going from your experience, and because this one does not have such a condition attached, I think it just means, complete four Sets of Firefight this week.

I haven't looked to see if anyone has validated that, but it could be tested quickly either in customs or by romping through two Arcade games to completion. If that proves to be the case I'll probably just pick it up over the course of my normal Firefight Limited play this week. (And help my daughter do it in a wacky custom game.)
You know, having re-read the challenge description, you're right, it probably doesn't have to be one map. Man, the wording could really use a bit of clarity on weeks like these, but I guess there's still a character limit to think about. Oh well. It's weird, the title suggests that it bears at least some similarity to the consecutive set ODST achievement, and I guess I just kept getting hung up on that.

GhaleonEB

Havok said:
You know, having re-read the challenge description, you're right, it probably doesn't have to be one map. Man, the wording could really use a bit of clarity on weeks like these, but I guess there's still a character limit to think about. Oh well. It's weird, the title suggests that it bears at least some similarity to the consecutive set ODST achievement, and I guess I just kept getting hung up on that.
The whole community did; threads this morning on HBO and b.net were all about the best settings to use for an easy or hard but do-able challenge in a single game. But yeah, when stopping and reading it without interpretation, it's not tied to a single game (or matchmaking). I guess we can think of it as a flexible one: do it the easy way, take it as an opportunity to do an epic custom game, or just snag it along the course of normal matchmaking play. I'll do the last for myself, and the first with my kid.
Lyphen said:
Hey guys, just bought Reach to complement my recent 360 purchase. I've only ever played on Live once, during a free weekend in January (AC:Brotherhood). A few questions before I subscribe:

1: Are map maps necessary for match making? Are they worth it/active?
2: I'm on a Slim 4GB, what can't I access? I'm finding old info but hoping it's been fixed since release.
3: I'm terrible at console shooters, is there a healthy casual scene for idiots like myself?
1) There is a playlist set aside for each map pack, if you want to focus on them. There are no other playlists that require the map packs. The matchmaking system is supposed to be able to pull together players who have them in many of the playlists, but people report various degrees of success there. The maps are, generally speaking, better than the shipping maps.

2) You can't access online co-op through the campaign or Firefight matchmaking, I think. Those modes require a HDD, and the Slim model read the internal 4 GB as a memory card, not a HDD. Microsoft said they were going to look into the issue, and then dropped it and never said anything else. Which sucks, to put it lightly.

3) Avoid some of the more serious playlists such as MLG and Arena and you'll be at home.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Hey guys, just bought Reach to complement my recent 360 purchase. I've only ever played on Live once, during a free weekend in January (AC:Brotherhood). A few questions before I subscribe:

2: I'm on a Slim 4GB, what can't I access? I'm finding old info but hoping it's been fixed since release.
3: I'm terrible at console shooters, is there a healthy casual scene for idiots like myself?

Lyphen said:

Don't need map packs. Maybe worth it once you get going; stick with vanilla for now.
At one point the 4GB couldn't do co op campaign; not sure if it ever got fixed.
Stick with Team Slayer and you should be fine, I imagine. Share your tag to play with us. :)

Havok

Lyphen said:

2: I'm on a Slim 4GB, what can't I access?
1: They're not necessary, the system can detect who has the maps and who doesn't to set up games. They're quite good, and depending on the number of people in your party (who also have the maps, mind you), the amount they'll show up in matchmaking varies. There are dedicated playlists for each of the map packs, as well.
2: 4GB consoles, unfortunately, can't do co-op play, whether that be campaign or Firefight. It sucks, and last word I saw on the matter was that it was a Microsoft issue that would be resolved, but that was a while ago.
3: Trust me, there are plenty of idiots, and you'll probably find you're better than a lot of them. It'll match you based on skill after determining exactly where you fall in the gradient.

Speaking of the 4GB issue...one more reason for a patch. Take notes!

MrBig

Lyphen said:

1: No they're not but they are of great quality and I recommend purchasing if you're in for the long haul.
2: You can't do firefight and you might not be able to watch films, not sure.
3: Yep, you stick to BTB and Action Sack until you get used to everything and then just go exploring in more playlists. Just play the campaign first to get a feel for it all. We play GAF custom games every saturday so just check here.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Shame about the Firefight thing. It sounds like an interesting mode, but I can't justify shelling out a hundred dollars just to play it. :\

Gamertag is 'Lyphen' and I'm going to try to get Live set up before the weekend. Going to practice in campaign during the meantime. Having a rough tread through on Heroic, but I think I'm "better" at aiming than in Halo 3, where it took me over an hour and a half of constant dying to beat the first mission.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Lyphen said:

Addressing number 2:

No file share.
No downloading anything from anyone elses fileshare not even off of bungie.net.
No theatre/films.
No firefight online co-op.
No Campaign co-op.
No matchmaking pictures(as in the picture of the playlist).

Welcome to Gimped Reach.

Plywood said:
Addressing number 2:

No file share.
No downloading anything from anyone elses fileshare not even off of bungie.net.
No theatre/films.
No firefight online co-op.
No Campaign co-op.
No matchmaking pictures(as in the picture of the playlist).

Welcome to Gimped Reach.

Wow, that is steeper than I knew. That sucks.

Why Microsoft made a 4GB flash Xbox as a part of the their new xbox's is beyond me. Actually I know exactly why, it's so they could advertise the Xbox for $199, but you get the point.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Steelyuhas said:
Wow, that is steeper than I knew. That sucks.

Why Microsoft made a 4GB flash Xbox as a part of the their new xbox's is beyond me. Actually I know exactly why, it's so they could advertise the Xbox for $199, but you get the point.
I knew all of that because I have a 4gb slim, though my brother bought a 120gb so he gave me his old 20gb.

That was also another reason why I wanted a TU.

GhaleonEB said:
3) Avoid some of the more serious playlists such as MLG and Arena and you'll be at home.

The Classic playlist can definitely be included in that category. Seems like every aspiring MLG pro who isn't particularly fond of AA's and the like are running teams of 4 and stomping on randoms with reckless abandon. It's gotten pretty ugly in there as of late.

Tunavi

Banned
So If people are interested, I'm going to be hosting a night of 4v4/FFA custom’s next week for the anniversary of the beta.

halo-reach-beta.jpg

Grab Bag (Team):
Team Slayer/Slayer Pro
Covy Slayer (Not Elite Slayer)
Spartans Versus Elites (SvE)
1 Flag
Stockpile
King of the Hill

FFA (if we don't have 4v4)
Headhunter
Crazy King
Slayer/Slayer Pro
Elite Slayer
Juggernaut

Sword Base – Sniper back at Grenade Launcher Spawn (Focus Rifle on Elite Slayer), Plasma Launcher back at Concussion Rifle Spawn

1 Flag – Lifts Blocked off. Flag spawns under Yellow lift, Capture point at top of Red Lift. Remember This?

Stockpile - Red Team's Stockpile in the Control Center

Powerhouse 1 Flag – Flag spawns in powerhouse 2nd Floor, capture point is by the Cliff

Let me know if you want to participate. I'm thinking May 3rd, next tuesday around 5:30 PST. It should be fun!

Edit: This Friday the 29th AND Tuesday May 3rd, lol

Sounds awesome, I'm in.

Does anyone know where I can find a complete list of changes from Beta to the final game? Doesn't seem to be on either Halo wiki.

Tunavi said:
Spartans Versus Elites (SvE)

Can you actually create that gametype in custom settings?

Barrow Roll said:
Sounds awesome, I'm in.

Does anyone know where I can find a complete list of changes from Beta to the final game? Doesn't seem to be on either Halo wiki.

Magnum nerf. That's all you need to know. ;(

To be honest though, just about every weapon was nerfed, except for the AR and the DMR.

Tunavi

Banned
Domino Theory said:
Might want to change that to April 29.

;)
We can do both! :D I loved the Beta.
:(

Steelyuhas said:
Can you actually create that gametype in custom settings?
Not sure. If I can't we will have to do honor rules with teams and designated load outs.

Edit: If this file doesn't work and I can always make an Invasion gametype with one tier, right?

Tunavi said:
Not sure. If I can't we will have to do honor rules with teams and designated load outs.

Edit: If this file doesn't work and I can always make an Invasion gametype with one tier, right?

That's a firefight gametype.

Invasion games must be three tiers if I'm not mistaken.

Here's a question, Elite loadouts are always listed in the custom options, so if we did honor system and say blue team switched to Elites, the game would force them to spawn with the Elites loadouts that we set up right?

Karl2177

Steelyuhas said:
To be honest though, just about every weapon was nerfed, except for the AR and the DMR.
Just the DMR. Beta AR took 16 STK, final takes 19. In my opinion, were any of the nerfs, aside from AL, needed?

Tunavi

Banned
Steelyuhas said:
That's a firefight gametype.

Invasion games must be three tiers if I'm not mistaken.

Here's a question, Elite loadouts are always listed in the custom options, so if we did honor system and say blue team switched to Elites, the game would force them to spawn with the Elites loadouts that we set up right?
Doh, my bad. I'll do some testing before Friday. I'm sure that will work. If not, the honor system will be just fine.

Top Bottom