• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

MrBig

Kuroyume said:
The Reach beta was great mainly (as has been noted) because of the balance between the pistol and AR. Other than that and the grenade nerf I don't see much difference between that and the final game. You guys go on about the player speed and movement but it still feels about the same. Sure now you can't miss the jump on Powerhouse but I made it most of the time on there anyway. Also worth noting is that with the beta you would just play Swordbase and Powerhouse which are two of the best maps in the game. I wish I could get a playlist where I could just play one map over and over. I also liked that the Focus Rifle and Plasma Launcher weren't so damn shitty.
Didn't the AR outclass the pistol? Nonsense.

GhaleonEB said:
Please. Have mercy. Normal games in Score Attack. The playlist is right there, begging for some decent solo challenges. I'd be happy if the default Limited games were dropped in and the time bumped to 45 minutes. (I came within 10 seconds of completing a Set solo yesterday on Corvette after my one partner dropped out.)
Would it be inconceivable for Bungie to add a Solo Limited playlist? I don't think that would really hurt the playlist setup, it's not like you need to worry about the population of a solo playlist.

wwm0nkey

Halo 3 Beta > Halo: Reach Beta

I still have the Halo 3 beta on my HDD in the hopes one day the servers will magically pop back on XD

Tunavi

Banned
I thought the beta was so new and exciting, I had never had an xbox during a Halo release before, and it will always remind me of my first year of college.

A lot of weird emotions after being away from home for the first time, and I met my one of my best friends now because we both loved Halo. We had been waiting all year for the beta and when it finally came out during the last week of school, it seemed unreal. I dunno, call me lame. If you didn't like it you don't have to play, but its just kind of special to me because of that. And it was a lot of fun.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Just another case of HBO -> Joystiq.

That's a thing, right?
I think no. Because Halo.bungie.org is marked as one of the source. Unfortunately I don't know the US laws.
But I don't know what you are trying to say.(That joystiq does something bad, because they didn't write that they found the news at HBO?)

wwm0nkey said:
Hey can someone do me a favor and find the frankie interview where he confirmed the Halo CE remake wasnt happening?
It won't happen. If it happens, I'm going to buy you a/an ice-cream.

Louis Wu

Hypertrooper said:
I think no. Because Halo.bungie.org is marked as one of the source. Unfortunately I don't know the US laws.
But I don't know what you are trying to say.(That joystiq does something bad, because they didn't write that they found the news at HBO?)
I think he's just saying we're faster than Joystiq.

(It's often the case that folks come to our forum and post a link to a Joystiq article highlighting some Halo goodie - they've even (sort of) done their homework by checking HBO's front page to see if we've posted it that day yet. Unfortunately, since Joystiq can be 1-3 days behind (or more), just searching the CURRENT front page won't turn it up - and the poor poster gets 'OLD'ed.)

wwm0nkey

Hypertrooper said:
I know the CEmake isnt happening at all, I was seeing if anyone knew where to find the video where Frankie said it wasnt happening.

Besides we all know I want the H2 MP remake :)

Hypertrooper said:
It's "an," Hyper. :p "An" goes in front of words with vowels at the beginning, so, "a", "e", "i", "o", and "u." In rare cases that also includes "h" like "honor" because the h isn't pronounced in that word. "A" is used for everything else (anything that's not a vowel). I also heard that "y" can sometimes count like "h" but I can't think of an example right now.

Louis Wu

wwm0nkey said:
Hey can someone do me a favor and find the frankie interview where he confirmed the Halo CE remake wasnt happening?
He never confirmed that. OXM asked him about what's coming, and he said
Frankie said:
Nothing to announce right now, but I can tell you we're not working on any side stories as games at the moment. There'll certainly be more Halo fiction entering the universe, but we've no new games to announce right now.
They rephrased that answer in their next question:
OXM said:
With no Halo game announced for 2011, is there anything coming to keep fans sated for the year until the next chapter?
Frank's response:
Frankie said:
Of course we'll be supporting Halo games via DLC, matchmaking, tournaments, and more. 2011 is the tenth anniversary of Halo, and we'll make sure that the fanbase, the userbase, and the community is energised with cool new content and fiction.
He didn't outright-deny the rephrasing, which many took as a suggestion that it was valid. (I'm not so sure it is... but I'm keeping my mind open. ;) ) People ALSO put this together with the previous rumor that Halo CE was being remade in HD, and said "see? Frankie shot that down."

He didn't, at least not directly.

Louis Wu said:
I think he's just saying we're faster than Joystiq.

(It's often the case that folks come to our forum and post a link to a Joystiq article highlighting some Halo goodie - they've even (sort of) done their homework by checking HBO's front page to see if we've posted it that day yet. Unfortunately, since Joystiq can be 1-3 days behind (or more), just searching the CURRENT front page won't turn it up - and the poor poster gets 'OLD'ed.)
HBO has a front page?

Thanks to BlueNinja for informing me about that running gag.

Dax01 said:
It's "an," Hyper. :p "An" goes in front of words with vowels at the beginning, so, "a", "e", "i", "o", and "u." In rare cases that also includes "h" like "honor" because the h isn't pronounced in that word. "A" is used for everything else (anything that's not a vowel). I also heard that "y" can sometimes count like "h" but I can't think of an example right now.

thezerofire said:
wait there was a confirmation on the CE remake not happening? :(
You can see at Louis Wu post, that they are not working on sidestories as games right now. And they are really taking it serious with the 10th anniversary of Halo. However It is really hard to say if we can put an Halo CE remake in the "sidestory" list. Because the game is an important main title(In my opinion the most important game in terms of story.). But it was released already.

wwm0nkey said:
I know the CEmake isnt happening at all, I was seeing if anyone knew where to find the video where Frankie said it wasnt happening.

Besides we all know I want the H2 MP remake :)

If it's not happening, why won't they straight up deny it.

Also CE > 2 IMO

H2 is still very playable over XBC/Xlink Kai and the PC version. CE sucks on tunneling programs.

wwm0nkey

The Real Napsta said:

Also CE > 2 IMO

H2 is still very playable over XBC/Xlink Kai and the PC version. CE sucks on tunneling programs.
For a time it seemed like it was being worked on but after I saw that interview I pretty much lost all faith it was happening, we will see come June however.

Oh also no, I would much rather play on Xbox Live and not some stupid custom settings and also have the option to play ranked. Halo 2 somewhere down the road needs a remake for the MP, maybe not now but eventually it will need one.

wwm0nkey said:
For a time it seemed like it was being worked on but after I saw that interview I pretty much lost all faith it was happening, we will see come June however.

Oh also no, I would much rather play on Xbox Live and not some stupid custom settings and also have the option to play ranked. Halo 2 somewhere down the road needs a remake for the MP, maybe not now but eventually it will need one.

Do you like Halo 2 MLG settings? That's mostly what is played on XBC/Xlink.

Louis Wu

wwm0nkey said:
Yes awhile ago during an interview about the Defiant Map pack Frankie pretty much flat out said it isnt happening.
I don't think this is true. (I've just rewatched pretty much all of the video interviews he gave in the last few months - and can't find that quote at all.)

The man's a friggin' master at deflecting questions he doesn't want to answer. :)

Update: I'm thinking you might be talking about this interview - in response to whether the rumors that Saber was building a new Halo CE, he said

Frankie said:
"So we've always been open to those sort of mini-collaborations, but as far as the core game experiences are concerned we have to keep that close to home.

"We certainly see [Defiant map pack dev] Certain Affinity as being close to home because there are a lot of ex-Bungie and Halo guys on that team, so it's very natural.

"In the future - who knows. But fundamentally we're right now building a large, powerful top-tier studio to make triple-A experiences in the future and that's our general direction right now," he said.

"So we'll continue to do little collaborations with people but for core experiences we have to keep those close to home."
That's pretty much a straight-up denial that SABER is doing it - but not that it's being done at all.

wwm0nkey

The Real Napsta said:
Do you like Halo 2 MLG settings? That's mostly what is played on XBC/Xlink.
No cant say that I do like those settings. Still doesnt change the point that a VAST majority of people are not going to bother with XBC/Xlink and the fact there is no option for ranked either.

Louis Wu said:
I don't think this is true. (I've just rewatched pretty much all of the video interviews he gave in the last few months - and can't find that quote at all.)

The man's a friggin' master at deflecting questions he doesn't want to answer. :)
Yeah that is pretty true actually :lol

wwm0nkey said:
No cant say that I do like those settings. Still doesnt change the point that a VAST majority of people are not going to bother with XBC/Xlink and the fact there is no option for ranked either.l

I'm just saying, if even half of the people who say they "love" Halo 2, would actually play it, there wouldn't be a problem.

The Real Napsta said:

Also CE > 2 IMO

There's even a new Halo 2 montage out using XBC footage.

Hypertrooper said:
It was just a play on GAF -> Internet -> GAF. :^)

Louis Wu said:

Update: I'm thinking you might be talking about this interview - in response to whether the rumors that Saber was building a new Halo CE, he said

That's pretty much a straight-up denial that SABER is doing it - but not that it's being done at all.
If Frankie is going to be my private english teacher, it will be like a sequel to "The King's Speech" without the historian affinity.

Louis Wu said:

While I'm not expecting it it, I still have a sliver of hope that it will be announced for E3.

GhaleonEB

Louis Wu said:

That exchange is one of the reasons I think it might be happening. The exchange was essentially,

"Is Saber doing the Halo CE remake?"

"We'd never outsource a project that large."

Of course, those kind of noncommittal responses are one of Frankie's specialties. But I have yet to see anyone actually deny that it's happening, just dodge around the question like that.

The Real Napsta said:
- Fans won't call them liars if they change their minds and actually start working on a remake.
- Fan speculation is healthy for the franchise.

Granted, blatantly false rumors and fake screenshots aren't healthy for the business, but those can be easily squashed without confiming or denying remake plans.

wwm0nkey

The Real Napsta said:
I'm just saying, if even half of the people who say they "love" Halo 2, would actually play it, there wouldn't be a problem.
People can love Halo 2 but not ever want to get XBC/Xlink

Also as for H2V there are a decent amount of people on.....the stolen version, about 500+, where as the regular legit version has about 20-30 on at a given time.

Havok

The Real Napsta said:
The reason that companies such as Microsoft send out stock responses like "Microsoft does not comment on rumors or speculation" or are otherwise cagey about rumors is because it legitimizes the rumors and sets precedent that whatever they don't deny must be true. It would be a terrible PR move to start denying some rumors since it's practically impossible to keep up with all the shitty rumors on the internet.

GhaleonEB said:
That exchange is one of the reasons I think it might be happening. The exchange was essentially,

"Is Saber doing the Halo CE remake?"

"We'd never outsource a project that large."

Of course, those kind of noncommittal responses are one of Frankie's specialties. But I have yet to see anyone actually deny that it's happening, just dodge around the question like that.
It's one of his talents that he lists on his resume. :lol

As or the beta discussion, most aspects of the game improved from the beta to the final game, but one area took a significant step backwards in my opinion. That aspect is the weapon sandbox. I liked the balance better and I felt that literally all the weapons were good in their own way. Great weapon diversity to go along with a great headshot starting weapon (magnum). For me, that weapon sandbox is a huge part of the game, and is the result of myself missing playing the beta. Almost every weapon was nerfed, especially the covenant weapons which are now largely outclasses by unsc weapons in almost all situations.

Microsoft generally has two responses to rumors. If the rumor is not true they will say that it is simply a rumor and it's not true. If the rumor is true (which it often is when it comes to Microsoft), they usually say we don't comment on rumors.

wwm0nkey

Anyone remember the awesome Halo 3 beta armor? Did we ever get a reason why that was changed, it looked so awesome :(

Then we got stuck with Toy soldiers and toy guns :(

wwm0nkey said:
Anyone remember the awesome Halo 3 beta armor? Did we ever get a reason why that was changed, it looked so awesome :(

Which helmet/armor are you talking about? Before and after pics?

Ramirez

Hypertrooper said:

I hope you're good friends with Ben & Jerry, you're going to need a lot of ice cream. Seriously, what else would they do for the 10th anniversary of CE?

Pretty sure he's just talking about the textures on the beta armor.

wwm0nkey

Major Williams said:
Which helmet/armor are you talking about? Before and after pics?
halo-3-20070701114858951.jpg

Mark_VI_Armor_Infobox.jpg

GhaleonEB

Ken said:
Looks like that last guy in the second game was just idling, -7 and no kills.

There is no skill setting for matchmaking Firefight, and rank is just a reflection of total playtime (volume, not skill). But yeah, super high ranking players do tend to be terrible in my experience.
Ken said:
He was constantly jet packing into the middle of the map to die and after awhile started committing suicide instead. Too bad they can't take all of these types of players and just have them play with each other instead of with people who actually want to play FF.

@wwm0nkey: Isn't the first picture the CQB chest piece?
Fun. Those are my favorites; it's not enough to idle, you have to actively work to drain lives.

Ken

GhaleonEB said:
Looks like that last guy in the second game was just idling, -7 and no kills.

There is no skill setting for matchmaking Firefight, and rank is just a reflection of total playtime (volume, not skill). But yeah, super high ranking players do tend to be terrible in my experience.
He was constantly jet packing into the middle of the map to die and after awhile started committing suicide instead. Too bad they can't take all of these types of players and just have them play with each other instead of with people who actually want to play FF.

@wwm0nkey: Isn't the first picture the CQB chest piece?

MrBig

wwm0nkey said:

They de-resed the textures on all of the player models for the final game.

wwm0nkey

Yeah that's the CQB chest piece but the over all armor doesnt look like plastic like it does in the final product.

Halo 3 Beta > Halo 3, nothing in the beta really needed to be changed but they still changed things. I just never understood why they changed the armor :/

Dax01 said:
There's no way the Halo 3 Beta was better than Halo 3. Only three maps versus 22? Yeah, for that alone, the latter.
I'm pretty sure when someone says something like this, they're talking pretty exclusively about how it plays.

Dax01 said:
There's no way the Halo 3 Beta was better than Halo 3. Only three maps versus 22? Yeah, for that alone, the latter.
That's not a fair comparison. Obviously a beta will only have a limited selection of maps. You can certainly compare a beta's gameplay to a final product though.

wwm0nkey

Dax01 said:
What the guy said below. Halo 3 Beta gameplay/armor detail > Halo 3 gameplay/armor detail

Dax01 said:
Gameplay and armor look. Not maps.

I would have to agree that Halo 3 Beta gameplay was great - the carbine was a bit overpowered, but everything else was balanced and felt just right IMO.

Steelyuhas said:
That's not a fair comparison. Obviously a beta will only have a limited selection of maps. You can certainly compare a beta's gameplay to a final product though.
It's a pretty fair comparison. Halo 3, in the end, outclasses the Beta in every possible way that to make the general statement, "Halo 3 Beta > Halo 3" can't be taken seriously. I really enjoyed my time with the beta but I'd take the finished product over it any day.

MrBig

Dax01 said:
It's a pretty fair comparison. Halo 3, in the end, outclasses the Beta in every possible way that to make the general statement, "Halo 3 Beta > Halo 3" can't be taken seriously. I really enjoyed my time with the beta but I'd take the finished product over it any day.
:lol dax will never change

wwm0nkey

Major Williams said:
Gameplay and armor look. Not maps.

I would have to agree that Halo 3 Beta gameplay was great - the carbine was a bit overpowered, but everything else was balanced and felt just right IMO.
it was at least useful :lol

Top Bottom