• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Karl2177 said:
Just the DMR. Beta AR took 16 STK, final takes 19. In my opinion, were any of the nerfs, aside from AL, needed?

Other way around, the AR became stronger. It was 19 to kill in the beta (I thought it was 18 actually) and it was buffed to 16 for the final game.

I don't think any of the weapons needed nerfing really. Strong weapons are a good thing, and it diversified the combat significantly more than the final game.

Obviously the grenade nerf was a good thing (the universal weapon nerf kind of negates that though).

Tunavi said:
Doh, my bad. I'll do some testing before Friday. I'm sure that will work. If not, the honor system will be just fine.

Alright sounds good. I've got a busy week, but I should be able to play on Friday.

Steelyuhas said:
Magnum nerf. That's all you need to know. ;(

To be honest though, just about every weapon was nerfed, except for the AR and the DMR.
How exactly was it nerfed though? I mean, I remember it being better but it was 5sk back then as well. Exactly what was changed? I also didn't remember the lifts either not being there or blocked off in Beta Swordbase until Tunavi told me. I guess my memory of the Beta is a bit fuzzy. :I

Karl2177

Steelyuhas said:
Other way around, the AR became stronger. It was 19 to kill in the beta (I thought it was 18 actually) and it was buffed to 16 for the final game.

I don't think any of the weapons needed nerfing really. Strong weapons are a good thing, and it diversified the combat significantly more than the final game.

Obviously the grenade nerf was a good thing (the universal weapon nerf kind of negates that though).
The following post will probably get me ignored by half of HaloGaf, but whatever.

Go in right now, and see how many shots it takes to kill with the AR. It is supposed to be 18, but in all of my "experiments" it's been 19. The only reason I know this is because I was a huge fan of the H3 AR when it wasn't being used by a 5 year old child. I bet
in my prime :lol
I could have beaten almost anyone with my AR. Of course I still preferred the BR, but I was best with the basic BR/AR combo. I didn't spray and pray or AR bum rush-melee; I was a pulse pro. Now it has taken a backseat to the DMR simply because pulsing doesn't do shit anymore(the reticle still expands at an awkward rate) and the DMR has greater DPS.

Tunavi

Banned
Barrow Roll said:
How exactly was it nerfed though? I mean, I remember it being better but it was 5sk back then as well. Exactly what was changed? I also didn't remember the lifts either not being there or blocked off in Beta Swordbase until Tunavi told me. I guess my memory of the Beta is a bit fuzzy. :I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9tdKNtOsyc - Yellow Lift deactivated at the Beginning
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED4V2BSdQLw - at 1:58, you can see the fence barrier blocking red lift.

Glad to see everyone interested in beta customs!

Barrow Roll said:

The max ROF was significantly higher in the beta, allowing you to defend your self at close range from just about anything (not necessarily beat it but give you a chance, especially if they make a mistake). That hasn't really existed in a starting weapon since Halo CE. The bloom was also a bit faster/expanded less I believe which allowed the weapon to kill faster. Finally, maybe something under the hood (Aim assist, registration, etc.) because it just felt like magic to use.

Karl2177 said:
The following post will probably get me ignored by half of HaloGaf, but whatever.

Go in right now, and see how many shots it takes to kill with the AR. It is supposed to be 18, but in all of my "experiments" it's been 19. The only reason I know this is because I was a huge fan of the H3 AR when it wasn't being used by a 5 year old child. I bet
I could have beaten almost anyone with my AR. Of course I still preferred the BR, but I was best with the basic BR/AR combo. I didn't spray and pray or AR bum rush-melee; I was a pulse pro. Now it has taken a backseat to the DMR simply because pulsing doesn't do shit anymore(the reticle still expands at an awkward rate) and the DMR has greater DPS.

Your right it is 19. That reminds me, it wasn't 18 to 16, the AR was 22 shots to kill in the beta. So it went form 22 to 19.

krakov

Barrow Roll said:

I think it had a lot less bloom, but some recoil instead.

Lifts were blocked off for flag games, since you carried the flag from bottom to top. They were there as usual in other modes though.

I think Powerhouse and Sword Base were a lot better for flag/stockpile in the beta.

Tunavi

Banned
krakov said:
Lifts were blocked off for flag games, since you carried the flag from bottom to top. They were there as usual in other modes though.
Oh Right, Barrow, I'm talking about 1-flag only. They were normal in Slayer
krakov said:
I think Powerhouse and Sword Base were a lot better for flag/stockpile in the beta.
Exactly! Thats why I'm doing this :D

GhaleonEB

Steelyuhas said:
The max ROF was significantly higher in the beta, allowing you to defend your self at close range from just about anything (not necessarily beat it but give you a chance, especially if they make a mistake). That hasn't really existed in a starting weapon since Halo CE. The bloom was also a bit faster/expanded less I believe which allowed the weapon to kill faster. Finally, maybe something under the hood (Aim assist, registration, etc.) because it just felt like magic to use.
And against that, they removed recoil entirely. It was very significant in the Beta.
Lake Minnetonka said:
The beta was worse in almost every single aspect to the final game.

And Reach is pretty dog shit. How anyone can miss the beta I'll never understand.
Take it eazy, now.

GhaleonEB said:
And against that, they removed recoil entirely. It was very significant in the Beta.

Ah yes your right, there was recoil in the beta. I'd take recoil over the fat bloom any day of the week though, I am confident that I can fire the gun pretty quickly and control the recoil, but obviously with a larger bloom you don't really have the option.

Tawpgun

Lake Minnetonka said:

And Reach is pretty dog shit. How anyone can miss the beta I'll never understand.

Elites actually fun to play as. Now they are shit.

Pistol might have been balanced, but people still miss that little powerhouse(lul)

Sniper on Sword Base

Genny Defense 3 v 3.

Focus Rifle raped.

Otherwise, you're right.

MrBig

I think you all are forgetting how absolutely terrible the flag spawning in that room was in 1 flag Powerhouse during the beta.

Tunavi said:
Not sure. If I can't we will have to do honor rules with teams and designated load outs.

Edit: If this file doesn't work and I can always make an Invasion gametype with one tier, right?
I know how to make a SvE, with changes to the map in forge. No honor rules required.
That file you linked to is for firefight...

Tunavi

Banned
Zeouterlimits said:
Same load out as the beta? If so, I'll try my best to attend.
Yup, Evade, Needle Rifle, and PP/PRepeater only

MrBig said:
I know how to make a SvE, with changes to the map in forge. No honor rules required.
That file you linked to is for firefight...
haha Yes, I know now.
Could you make the SvE gametype and put it in your file share? (Evade/Needle Rifle/Plasma Pistol for elites and Sprint DMR pistol for spartans)
Lake Minnetonka said:
jSU2ql.jpg

MrBig

Tunavi said:
haha Yes, I know now.
Could you make the SvE gametype and put it in your file share? (Evade/Needle Rifle/Plasma Pistol for elites and Sprint DMR pistol for spartans)
I can't remove anything in my fileshare, you can join me any time tomorrow and save them from temp files though.

Ramirez

Karl2177 said:

lol, Cocop confirmed many moons ago that he never pulsed his AR, and yet he would regularly kill everyone with it in Halo 3. The only time pulsing would have ever done anything was if you were on host, and even then you were better off spraying, the weapon was a complete joke.

People miss the sniper on Sword Base? I really cannot stand Reach's sniper for it's huge headshot assist it gives, especially from the back. Plus it was replaced by the nade launcher, the best weapon in the game, and the only thing 343i should consider bringing back to the next game.

GhaleonEB

Havok said:
You know, having re-read the challenge description, you're right, it probably doesn't have to be one map. Man, the wording could really use a bit of clarity on weeks like these, but I guess there's still a character limit to think about. Oh well. It's weird, the title suggests that it bears at least some similarity to the consecutive set ODST achievement, and I guess I just kept getting hung up on that.
Well, there goes that.

I just did a full Set on Outpost with one other guy in Firefight Limited.

It did not count toward the weekly Challenge.

So I have no idea.

Havok

Arena division placements are horseshit. That is all.

Edit: I lied, that is not all.
2akn14w.png

156 assists in Arena (8 of them from a previous Season).

293hb2s.png

Also 156 assists in Arena.

2j1wrjl.png

115 assists in Arena.

I do not understand.

GhaleonEB said:
Well, there goes that.

So I have no idea.
Huh. Bizarre. Maybe it doesn't count matchmade games? Nothing makes any sense today.

Second edit: Wait, there's only one tick on the progress bar, so it's not going to be able to show the single Set. I bet if you did three more you'd get the challenge, it just doesn't have a way to show it on the UI. (Although I see that you have done four FF Limited games today, so that might not be right. I'm so confused.)

GhaleonEB said:
Well, there goes that.

So I have no idea.

The fact that it is listed at 0/1 makes me think that you have to complete all four sets in a single game, but people here have posted differently. This is confusing haha.

Hitmonchan107 said:

I'm listening to 'Kid A'. Good enough to interrupt that?
Think carefully before you answer

Havok said:
Arena division placements are horseshit. That is all.

Edit: I lied, that is not all.
2akn14w.png

156 assists in Arena (8 of them from a previous Season).

293hb2s.png

Also 156 assists in Arena.

2j1wrjl.png

115 assists in Arena.

I do not understand.

Win/loss is how you are placed in Arena now. Am I missing something you are getting at here? Assists don't matter anymore (other than helping your team win).

Havok

Steelyuhas said:
Win/loss is how you are placed in Arena now. Am I missing something you are getting at here? Assists don't matter anymore (other than helping your team win).
I know, but I guess my point is that it makes no sense to give per-match ratings and then do nothing with them, especially when they can vary so widely across a team.

Kuroyume

Banned
They need to get back to the multiplayer challenges. Way too Firefight and Campaign heavy recently. Have a couple hundred thousand to go before I can get the weather thing and then I could forget about the armory again since I already have the helmet and other crap I wanted.

Havok said:
I know, but I guess my point is that it makes no sense to give per-match ratings and then do nothing with them, especially when they can vary so widely across a team.

Yeah the ratings are just kind of a "for your own entertainment to see how you did individually" at this point.

The weekly challenge has to be completed in a custom firefight game, as there are no variants in matchmaking with 4 consecutive sets.

Did it by myself in 20 minutes.

krakov

MrBig said:
I think you all are forgetting how absolutely terrible the flag spawning in that room was in 1 flag Powerhouse during the beta.

Maybe it was a tad easy to defend, but I by far prefer it to the current set up. Also, bubble shields :(

JonCha

So a friend asked me to play Halo 3 for a laugh last night, and this game is still going strong. I can't believe how many people are playing this! The worst thing that I was actually enjoying it a lot.

The beta was awesome because everything was so fucking new, I was still adjusting and just having fun win or lose.

Then Reach final product came out which wasn't really different at all from the beta. They took none of my suggestions or really anyones suggestion. The game didn't really change you just got new maps and everything was altered a small bit.

So basically they didn't fix anything, and they still don't. So there you have it.

Reach.

MrBig said:
Flag placement wasn't nearly as terrible as the weapon placement. If Rockets were moved to the little bridge at the edge of the map, things would play out much differently. Since the Focus Rifle is no longer a Face Melter, it's fine where it is.

xxjuicesxx said:
The beta was awesome because everything was so fucking new, I was still adjusting and just having fun win or lose.

Then Reach final product came out which wasn't really different at all from the beta. They took none of my suggestions or really anyones suggestion. The game didn't really change you just got new maps and everything was altered a small bit.

So basically they didn't fix anything, and they still don't. So there you have it.

Reach.
Yep, it really seemed like the beta was a "here's how the game will play, we probably won't change much of anything except squad colors and the damage of the better weapons."

squidhands said:
Yep, it really seemed like the beta was a "here's how the game will play, we probably won't change much of anything except squad colors and the damage of the better weapons."

I disagree, the netcode and matchmaking was probably the main focus of the beta, and Bungie worked magic. That said I cant believe this beta nostalgia. The reaction to the beta just on HaloGaf shows that the beta wasnt "super awesome" - infact the only thing that I think was better in the Beta was the Pistol and AR damage. They ruined the Pistol love for me in the retail version.

Schmitty

Yeah wtf guys, I hated the beta and I thought everyone else did. It made me less excited for the game release. Only good thing was pistol but almost everything else was bad.

I enjoy it too...sporadically, like whenever I can get into a gametype I want to play. Which is rarely because most of the playlists suck.

xxjuicesxx said:
I enjoy it too...sporadically, like whenever I can get into a gametype I want to play. Which is rarely because most of the playlists suck.

I only play Classic and occasionally MLG. Doubles is okay but I feel like I'm walking in quick sand.

GhaleonEB

juices said:
Yeah, no. The Beta was pretty rough and they made a huge number of changes, some specifically based on feedback. Off the top of my head:

• Base player speed and jump height increased (due to feedback)
  • DMR and Nerfle clips increased
  • Vehicles overhauled; they're not great in Reach but they were awful in the Beta
  • Grenade nerf, beatdown slowed, armor lock nerfed

And so on. The list of changes was pretty big, especially compared with the change set from the Halo 3 beta to retail. Reach was in pretty rough shape in the Beta; personally, I think it needed to cook another month or so.

bobs99 ... said:
I disagree, the netcode and matchmaking was probably the main focus of the beta, and Bungie worked magic. That said I cant believe this beta nostalgia. The reaction to the beta just on HaloGaf shows that the beta wasnt "super awesome" - infact the only thing that I think was better in the Beta was the Pistol and AR damage. They ruined the Pistol love for me in the retail version.
Same. Aside from some individual weapon balancing that people object to (I prefer retail across the board), the final game was better than the shipping in every area affected. A partial list of changes is still in the OP of the Beta thread. The nostalgia for that is mind-boggling to me.

I don't understand the nostalgia for the Reach beta either. If there's ANY beta I'm nostalgic for, it's Halo 3's. And that only because of the Valhalla space-glitch. I so wish I could do that again. I remember the first time I did; it was in a Team Slayer game. I managed to grab the banshee, flew it as high as it could go, started dropping when my team got 35 kills, landed on the outer edges of the lake and bounced perfectly to land right behind the lake-side base. Then I took the mancannon to the middle of the map and got the last three kills of the game to win it.

*faints*

Hey You

I guess its because the beta was fun, it was new and we haven't played anything like it in a Halo game.

It was great fun and so much time was wasted :)

GhaleonEB

The Firefight Limited population is such a gathering of idiotic scum and jackasses. I don't think I can deal with them any longer.

Please add a longer way to play normal mixtures of enemies in Score Attack. I'd honestly never play Limited again, and I would not miss it. I went months on end without quitting, but the past few weeks I find myself leaving around half my games when it's apparent where they're heading. Tried three times this morning to get a decent game going and it was a nightmare all three times.

Please. Have mercy. Normal games in Score Attack. The playlist is right there, begging for some decent solo challenges. I'd be happy if the default Limited games were dropped in and the time bumped to 45 minutes. (I came within 10 seconds of completing a Set solo yesterday on Corvette after my one partner dropped out.)

I thought that was the kind of thing Score Attack was for, fun solo play. The linear progression of one enemy type at a time has grown very stale. Please, please, please make a normal Firefight game in Score Attack. The community around Firefight Limited is the dumbest and most malicious I've ever encountered.

Kuroyume

Banned
The Reach beta was great mainly (as has been noted) because of the balance between the pistol and AR. Other than that and the grenade nerf I don't see much difference between that and the final game. You guys go on about the player speed and movement but it still feels about the same. Sure now you can't miss the jump on Powerhouse but I made it most of the time on there anyway. Also worth noting is that with the beta you would just play Swordbase and Powerhouse which are two of the best maps in the game. I wish I could get a playlist where I could just play one map over and over. I also liked that the Focus Rifle and Plasma Launcher weren't so damn shitty.

Top Bottom