• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Gui_PT

Gabotron ES said:
All the easter egg talk from the Anniversary MP panel made me think about this, wouldn't it be cool if CA/ 343 actually hid a golden warthog on Headlong?

I just want an EazyB tribute hidden somewhere.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
DMR doesn't belong in classic.

Fuel Rod, Plasma Rifle and Pistol, Assault Rifle, Rockets, Shotgun, Pistol, Needler.

Sure Plasma Rifle for example won't have the same functionality, but it'll feel better keeping it to the original. A better shotgun than Combat Evolved will be interesting too.

To people who attended PAX, was movement changed at all?

Tawpgun

bobs99 ... said:
I have never got that, the variety should come from the gameplay, not from having to use different weapons in different situations.

The way I see it versatile weapons promote variety as you can use them in different combat situations. Weapons which have a very specific purpose tend to only be used in specific situations leading to some very dull rock paper scissors type gameplay.

It might not be visually as varied but I would prefer to see what works better for the gameplay.

That said Fyrewulff is right, if the weapons dont at least have a fixed RoF the combat is going to suck. :/ Hopefully all this information will come out soon?

I just assumed you were pointing out the English flaws out of perhaps having an opinion on the subject in hand.
Agreed. I hate the people that want variety in Halo to mean Rock Paper Scissors gameplay. You should have a versatile weapon off spawn and then fight for the tide turners and other power weapons. Which can range from a game changing sniper rifle to set up breaking rockets. I'd consider the needler a semi-power weapon along with the plasma pistol. Bring stun back to the plasma rifle and its now a semi power weapon.

One weapon I've never found useful in Halo is the AR. Halo is about precision, not about spraying to shred shields. I've always seen it as the gun people use who can't be precise. Fyrewulf is the exception here with his burst fire AR. Not as effective as a pistol / DMR but pretty good nonetheless.

The TU hoppers will fix all.

What really bothers me is the ginormous number of existing playlists once the TU drops, Reach already has 23 playlists while 3 had like 15, 343 needs to do something about this.
Also, will we ever get a September matchmaking update, last one was like 2 monthes ago and Reach's matchmaking configuration is far from perfect :/

Striker

Gabotron ES said:
What really bothers me is the ginormous number of existing playlists once the TU drops, Reach already has 23 playlists while 3 had like 15, 343 needs to do something about this.
Also, will we ever get a September matchmaking update, last one was like 2 monthes ago and Reach's matchmaking configuration is far from perfect :/
In its peak Halo 3 had up to 20 or so, and they they had some stripped away due to Double EXP stuff. And removing Team Objective and Ranked BTB (lol...).

Reason is duplicate playlists. If we have a Ranked Slayer, Ranked FFA, Ranked Objective/Skirmish, etc., there is no necessary reason to have another playlist closely identical to it in the unranked category. It only causes for more playlists and that isn't needed. Halo 2 had it down nicely with your basic ranked, competitive stuff, and unranked was commonly things like Actionsack, Team Training, and Multi-team.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
wwm0nkey said:
I was a bit hesitant to get into it because some people said the writing was hard to get into.

I don't understand any of those complaints, the writing style is awesome.

I just think it starts very slow. I haven't been able to get back into it. Plus it is a tad confusing being that I have no visual reference about what I am reading.

GhaleonEB said:
|OT6|There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come
Yes. Thanks for the pics, too. Devin's were also great, apart from his mutant thumb. ;-)

JonCha said:
Did we ever get an answer on what Terminals will look like in Classic Mode? Will they actually be ressed DOWN?
If I'm remembering correctly, terminals cannot be seen in Classic Mode.

Gui_PT said:
Skulls can't be picked up either.
I knew there was something else that I was forgetting!

Can't wait to go hunting for skulls and terminals. I'm going to see if I can find all the terminals without a guide first. I'll use a guide for the skulls right off the bat.

FyreWulff said:
The issue with 0% bloom is you're going to see everyone just buying and going to autofire controllers for optimal kill times. With no ROF cap, you need SOME bloom in there to counter autofire controllers, or you're going to have a Team Classic black market. If we had an ROF cap then I could see zero-bloom staying in. But there wasn't one.
I'm trying to remember, but it's been a while. If I remember correctly in Halo1, holding down the trigger resulted in some bloom or spread. Or at least it was much less efficient than single shots.
Gui_PT said:
I just want an EazyB tribute hidden somewhere.
A nude bust????? Hahahaha kidding.

IMO the zero bloom DMR is fine the way it is as a five shot kill. Granted I don't think we lost a single game at halo fest so I would probably need more time with it in the wild to be certain it felt balanced. To me it felt like I had the good old BR in my hands and I didn't want to let it go. I am getting teary eyed just thinking about it. Needless to say going back to bloom DMR last night was sad times.

JonCha said:
Did we ever get an answer on what Terminals will look like in Classic Mode? Will they actually be ressed DOWN?
There will be no skulls and terminals in Halo: CEA's classic mode.

I wanted to snag a lot of these Cortana codes on Sunday. (Waiting till the most Halo Fans got their code) But the codes were all gone. :[

Captain Blood said:
IMO the zero bloom DMR is fine the way it is as a five shot kill. Granted I don't think we lost a single game at halo fest so I would probably need more time with it in the wild to be certain it felt balanced. To me it felt like I had the good old BR in my hands and I didn't want to let it go. I am getting teary eyed just thinking about it. Needless to say going back to bloom DMR last night was sad times.

I think it should be a 4 shot kill with a slightly lower firing rate personally, 5 shots to kill is too much even without bloom lol.

Deputy Moonman said:
I'm trying to remember, but it's been a while. If I remember correctly in Halo1, holding down the trigger resulted in some bloom or spread. Or at least it was much less efficient than single shots.

A nude bust????? Hahahaha kidding.

Yeah but who held the trigger down lol? You could get the same firing rate by trigger pressing which is what feels more natural with a semi auto weapon anyway.

Captain Blood said:
Actually, I think I could totally live with the 5 shot kill remaining in Reach, but with zero bloom. But I'd still like to try out the different settings to see what they're like. Hopper needs to get here stat.
Halogaf
bunnies_81.gif
-----<BLOOM>

bobs99 ... said:
I think it should be a 4 shot kill with a slightly lower firing rate personally, 5 shots to kill is too much even without bloom lol.
Who will play with the DMR in Anniversary Slayer, if he/she can have the Halo 1 pistol?

The Waypoint guys are funny. Didn't Frankie say that the normal Reach multiplayer gameplay will be still there? Or will Armour Lock and Jet Pack completely change in every Gamertype?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Hypertrooper said:
Who will play with the DMR in Anniversary Slayer, if he/she can have the Halo 1 pistol?

The Waypoint guys are funny. Didn't Frankie say that the normal Reach multiplayer gameplay will be still there? Or will Armour Lock and Jet Pack completely change in every Gamertype?
Some things like bloom will start separate (beta hoppers/classic playlists) but depending on feedback they may just apply changes to everything. I think Armor Lock is changing across the board, probably Jet Pack too.

FyreWulff

Deputy Moonman said:

It did. But autofire controllers press the button over and over again, they don't just "hold" the button, and there is a bug in Halo 1 that completely eliminated the (intended) bloom if you pulsed the trigger instead of holding it.

If I'm a person in Classic looking for optimal kill times with no bloom and the same ROF as the old DMR, and was a bit shady, why wouldn't I just buy an autofire controller so I don't have to worry about pulsing the trigger anymore? Just have the autofire controller spam "Right Trigger" to the console over and over again and shoot at the fastest possible speed for kills. Especially since the aim assist and magnetism was exactly the same. I didn't lose a single game in a bloomless gametype except for the one match versus HaloGAF in the BTB pod, where I was pretty much on the pubbies team, so that was expected.

I want Classic to succeed, but if it just becomes an arm race, you're going to lose people who aren't interested in playing that little game. Most people in Halo 2 used macro controllers to automatically doubleshot when they pulled the right trigger, some even had a separate button dedicated to BXR.

Autofire and macro controllers are currently completely useless in Reach because using autofire with a DMR will just keep you at maximum bloom and make it complete inaccurate.

I want someone in Classic to beat me because they beat me, not because they wanted to spend more money on extracurricular hardware.

Woorloog

Banned
Hypertrooper said:

I know i don't play anything without at least the armor ability changes. And i hope enough people do so that we'll get rid of pure vanilla lists.

I think i'm going to use the updated pistol rather than DMR. Yes, it has small mag if it's accurate enough, it's damage is more useful than DMR's larger mag (i don't think i've ever killed more than one guy with DMR mag, or i have, it's quite rare).

Deputy Moonman said:
Actually, I think I could totally live with the 5 shot kill remaining in Reach, but with zero bloom. But I'd still like to try out the different settings to see what they're like. Hopper needs to get here stat.
Halogaf
bunnies_81.gif
-----<BLOOM>
Dude it felt sooooo good to have your shots actually go where you shoot them. It made me weepy I was so happy. Although like I said we won every game we played so maybe I wouldn't be as in love with it if I was playing against people better than me. At least I would know I was legitimately out DMRed in that situation though.

Edit: I also haven't considered cheater controller which would obviously screw things up.

Captain Blood said:
Dude it felt sooooo good to have your shots actually go where you shoot them. It made me weepy I was so happy. Although like I said we won every game we played so maybe I wouldn't be as in love with it if I was playing against people better than me. At least I would know I was legitimately out DMRed in that situation though.

Edit: I also haven't considered cheater controller which would obviously screw things up.
I loved the face expression when I still killed them without shield. So good. With bloom they would definitely kill me.

Risen

FyreWulff said:
It did. But autofire controllers press the button over and over again, they don't just "hold" the button, and there is a bug in Halo 1 that completely eliminated the (intended) bloom if you pulsed the trigger instead of holding it.

If I'm a person in Classic looking for optimal kill times with no bloom and the same ROF as the old DMR, and was a bit shady, why wouldn't I just buy an autofire controller so I don't have to worry about pulsing the trigger anymore? Just have the autofire controller spam "Right Trigger" to the console over and over again and shoot at the fastest possible speed for kills. Especially since the aim assist and magnetism was exactly the same. I didn't lose a single game in a bloomless gametype except for the one match versus HaloGAF in the BTB pod, where I was pretty much on the pubbies team, so that was expected.

I want Classic to succeed, but if it just becomes an arm race, you're going to lose people who aren't interested in playing that little game. Most people in Halo 2 used macro controllers to automatically doubleshot when they pulled the right trigger, some even had a separate button dedicated to BXR.

Autofire and macro controllers are currently completely useless in Reach because using autofire with a DMR will just keep you at maximum bloom and make it complete inaccurate.

I want someone in Classic to beat me because they beat me, not because they wanted to spend more money on extracurricular hardware.

Controllers with macro's are useless in Reach because of the inability to cancel animations glitching to the next action. Auto controllers are useless because there is a cap to how fast the DMR shoots regardless of the presence of bloom... and that cap is completely within the ability of everyone who plays the game.

Relative to the population, I'd say MOST people didn't have them in H2... and those that did still got shit on by good teams.

Looked to see if any type of rapid fire controllers worked with reach currently, fairly sure they dont because of the way weapons are made, theres values for the weapon fire rate and tapping the trigger wont reset that value.

Came across this which is one of the worst/best advertisements for a product iv ever seen. Linky
Beware Pro Gaming at its best.

FyreWulff

Risen said:
Controllers with macro's are useless in Reach because of the inability to cancel animations glitching to the next action. Auto controllers are useless because there is a cap to how fast the DMR shoots regardless of the presence of bloom... and that cap is completely within the ability of everyone who plays the game.

Relative to the population, I'd say MOST people didn't have them in H2... and those that did still got shit on by good teams.

Lack of animation cancelling didn't prevent an autofire black market from cropping up for Call of Duty 4. Which didn't have an ROF cap on bloomless weapons.

Nobody is going to try and see what an autofire controller does to Reach.343 at the current moment because an autofire controller is completely useless due to bloom. I would hope and expect that 343 is testing their new Megalo gametypes with autofire controllers on hand. We won't be able to test it ourselves until we see the Beta Hoppers. Especially since the TU Needle Rifle automatically gave you headshots for firing at their chest and the non-TU NR does not do this even if you pace your shots. It's two seperate environments.

For all we know, eliminating the need to let the trigger depress and be pressed down again to fire the nbDMR may give you a consistent multi-frame advantage over another player using a normal controller. And before you think talking about a frame advantage is silly, the whole high level play for some games is sometimes about knowing which weapon or move has a 1-2 frame advantage over another move or weapon.

Captain Blood said:

You were also playing a LAN setup, no? That probably made shots even more precise for you. Still, I'm jealous that you got to play the new wares.

Tawpgun

Risen said:

This.

The max ROF on the pistol and DMR is easy to manually pulse. Besides, id feel like id have more control of I pulled the trigger for every shot. Not the controller.

I believe one of the 343 dudes, Ellis I think, said that things like ROF caps aren't final. Especially for the classic ++ playlist. There was a zero bloom option to showcase an extreme example.

Also, are there any vids of no bloom/classic gameplay featuring GOOD players? I'm sick of seeing AR spray in all these vids.

FyreWulff

Also even though I played the bejesus out of Prisoner back in the day, the hole they cut in the top and the snowfall really does help keep you aware of your bearings at all times.

Was sad to hear that Terminal was considered but cut, but I do mostly agree with them in that it was great at 1 Flag and 1 Bomb but not so great for other gametypes. We do need DLC to be more useful for more gametypes or else we end up with Longshore v2 where it's barely anywhere.

squidhands said:
You were also playing a LAN setup, no? That probably made shots even more precise for you. Still, I'm jealous that you got to play the new wares.

Yep, all the games at Halofest were LAN on devkits.

darthbob

blamite said:
You can transfer licenses to different Xboxes, which lets any account on that system use it, but you can't transfer ownership completely to another account.

I don't know why Frankie didn't just email Tier3.

; )

A27 Tawpgun said:
This.

The max ROF on the pistol and DMR is easy to manually pulse. Besides, id feel like id have more control of I pulled the trigger for every shot. Not the controller.

I believe one of the 343 dudes, Ellis I think, said that things like ROF caps aren't final. Especially for the classic ++ playlist. There was a zero bloom option to showcase an extreme example.

Also, are there any vids of no bloom/classic gameplay featuring GOOD players? I'm sick of seeing AR spray in all these vids.

ROF caps are just a value, its fairly easy to modify for modders id imagine some of them tools and changes have been brought to the custom variants made by 343 with the help of the TU.

Merguson

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
Got a bit further into Halo: Cryptum, for those of you who haven't read it, I highly recommend it :)

I want to get Halo: Cryptum but I have a backlog of A Song of Ice and Fire.. haven't finished the first book yet.

speaking of thread titles

Halo: Reach lOT6l Do not be afraid. The TU is peace; the TU is salvation. Oh screw it, everyone will find something to complain about anyways.

FyreWulff said:
Most people in Halo 2 used macro controllers to automatically doubleshot when they pulled the right trigger, some even had a separate button dedicated to BXR.

I want someone in Classic to beat me because they beat me
, not because they wanted to spend more money on extracurricular hardware.

Most people? lol no.

For the 2nd bold part, i wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

You do realize the max DMR ROF is so slow that anyone with a finger can do it, you don't need a modded controller for any reason.

Striker

Captain Blood said:
Dude it felt sooooo good to have your shots actually go where you shoot them. It made me weepy I was so happy.
Well, it's been four years since we've played with a non-random premier precision weapon. Has to feel good. ;)

Curious to feel how the Pistol feels in the non-bloom based DMR stuff. It has no bloom, either, correct? And remains 5-shot?

Merguson said:
I want to get Halo: Cryptum but I have a backlog of A Song of Ice and Fire.. haven't finished the first book yet.
In two months Tor will release Karen Traviss' book "Glasslands" and the second book of the Forerunner trilogy is coming quickly after it. (Primordium will be out on January the 3rd.) You are going to have big backlog in Halo, too.

Btw. It's Halo Legends part of the whole Reclaimer Trilogy fiction. If so,
we can finally say that the buildings were built by humans in the short movie "The Babysitter.

Risen

FyreWulff said:
Lack of animation cancelling didn't prevent an autofire black market from cropping up for Call of Duty 4. Which didn't have an ROF cap on bloomless weapons.

Exactly... an auto fire controller is not the same as macro controller and neither Call of Duty 4, nor MW2 have values that limit the rate of fire on certain weapons... see the auto .50 call that can fire much much faster than a human can. This is what I am pointing out... auto fire is useless in Reach because of that value.

There were controllers available for H3 that worked marvelously for automatic weapons... needler, plasma rifle, turret, and others that were available due to the increased accuracy in the first shot of these weapons. Kids made controllers that gave a first shot every time. There was no rampant use of them though...

H3 also had a limiter on the rate of fire for the BR. Controllers were a non-issue because the rate of fire was within the ability of everyone who played and any 1-2 frame difference may certainly have caused someone to win an interaction, but it's ultimate expression on game play over the long term is small. If it were not, controllers would have been much more common.

StalkerUKCG said:
ROF caps are just a value, its fairly easy to modify for modders id imagine some of them tools and changes have been brought to the custom variants made by 343 with the help of the TU.

Now you're talking about modifying code rather than manipulating it... as auto fire and macro controllers do.

FyreWulff

The Real Napsta said:
You do realize the max DMR ROF is so slow that anyone with a finger can do it, you don't need a modded controller for any reason.

Did you intentionally not read the part where the Needle Rifle automatically acted differently with a zero bloom shot between Reach and Reach TU? I don't automatically get a headshot if I wait for the bloom to reset on the NR in the current Reach and fire at someone's chest.

Just because something doesn't work -now- doesn't mean it can't act differently in the TU, or whatever development build they were letting us play on.

FyreWulff said:
Did you intentionally not read the part where the Needle Rifle automatically acted differently with a zero bloom shot between Reach and Reach TU? I don't automatically get a headshot if I wait for the bloom to reset on the NR in the current Reach and fire at someone's chest.

Just because something doesn't work -now- doesn't mean it can't act differently in the TU, or whatever development build they were letting us play on.

So because there is some sort of glitch on the NR in a non-final build of the TU, you are worried about modded controllers?

Also, did anyone else notice the NR doing this? or is it a "firewulf problem"?

Striker said:
Well, it's been four years since we've played with a non-random premier precision weapon. Has to feel good. ;)

Curious to feel how the Pistol feels in the non-bloom based DMR stuff. It has no bloom, either, correct? And remains 5-shot?
I actually don't know now that you mention it. I spawned with the DMR and then didn't really go out out of my way to find a pistol and check.

Top Bottom