• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

The Real Napsta said:
So because there is some sort of glitch on the NR in a non-final build of the TU, you are worried about modded controllers?

Also, did anyone else notice the NR doing this? or is it a "firewulf problem"?
The only thing I noticed was that the NR is automatic now like the pistol. You don't have to aim for a headshot, aim for the body and the enemy will explode in a pink cloud of joy. I don't know if it was in the Zero Bloom or the anniversary
gametype.

Kujo

Is the crosshair thingy for the Scorpion tank in Halo 1 completely fcuked or is that just with the PC version. Cause I'm playing the PC version and the shot never goes where I want it to. I had a grunt directly in the crosshair and yet the tank kept shooting the ground 2 metres in front of me

FyreWulff

The Real Napsta said:
So because there is some sort of glitch on the NR in a non-final build of the TU, you are worried about modded controllers?

Also, did anyone else notice the NR doing this? or is it a "firewulf problem"?

At least 4 other people I talked to noticed the NR autoheadshot. I had asked them to try it to make sure I wasn't just seeing things.

Hypertrooper said:
The only thing I noticed was that the NR is automatic now like the pistol. You don't have to aim for a headshot, aim for the body and the enemy will explode in a pink cloud of joy. I don't know if it was in the Zero Bloom or the anniversary
gametype.
The NR was always automatic.

ElRenoRaven

Mojo said:
Is the crosshair thingy for the Scorpion tank in Halo 1 completely fcuked or is that just with the PC version. Cause I'm playing the PC version and the shot never goes where I want it to. I had a grunt directly in the crosshair and yet the tank kept shooting the ground 2 metres in front of me

That's the PC version. There is no aim assist at all in it so you have to make sure you're more accurate. Good rule of thumb is to aim just a hair above what you're aiming for.

Also yes Ridgeline aka Timberland was an awesome map in Halo PC. I was very glad to see it brought back. It's the first time Halo PC has actually gotten the love it deserves. Usually it's forgotten that it even exists when people mention great maps or they talk about porting maps.

I also have to say those videos linked are amazing. To see the maps up close in a first person perspective just really shows how damn beautiful they are. I really can't wait to play them.

GhaleonEB

FyreWulff said:
They did say that the zero-bloom NR was already gone. The DMR will also need to be backed off 0% if they can't implement an ROF cap.
It bears noting that the 0% bloom option was never going to be in matchmaking to begin with; they didn't back off anything. It was included as a demonstration of the extreme end of the settings they have available, warts and all.

Like Blood, I thought the zero DMR worked great on small maps; it would never work on larger ones, though. I'm eager to try the reduced bloom settings to see how large of an impact they make.

GhaleonEB

A27 Tawpgun said:
Shame no one asked about tweaking vehicle health/dmr damage.

Hopefully we get that master list from Frankie soon.
Didn't make the cut.

The 343 folks were careful to neither rule out another TU or to promise a new one, though there were a few hypothetical, "were we to do another TU that's something we'd include..." type of statements. They have one person doing the coding for the TU, and while the guy is hugely talented he didn't have time for a large update. I hope they just keep him plugging away for a couple more months so a second, smaller TU can hit a few things in the core gameplay (such as vehicle health and the Banshee behavior). Hope springs eternal.

Kuroyume

Banned
Changing the DMR damage would just be moronic. Yeah, let's make it LONGER to kill someone/destroy vehicles. At this point why not make the DMR a 15 shot kill?

feel

Fyrewulff, how's that catching up on the threads going? Around the time of your hilarious REACH IS DOOMED tweet, we got confirmation from David Ellis that the stuff in the vids and that people were playing, were not actual gametypes, but more more like demonstrations of the post-TU possibilities. And I'm almost certain he also said noone has tried the actual Anniversary magnum yet, which is ROF capped.

edit-

and still begging for a Cortana prop to go along with my eventual Master Chief armor. Anyone?

Tawpgun

Kuroyume said:
Changing the DMR damage would just be moronic. Yeah, let's make it LONGER to kill someone/destroy vehicles. At this point why not make the DMR a 15 shot kill?
Aren't you the no fun allowed guy that wants turretless hogs and vehicles only for transportation?

The only OP vehicles in Reach is the tank on an open map and the banshee. Everything else gets fucked by DMR fire. Not to mention vague vehicle health. It needs to be changed. BTB was a blast in H2 And H3. In reach not so much.

PsychoRaven said:
Also yes Ridgeline aka Timberland was an awesome map in Halo PC. I was very glad to see it brought back. It's the first time Halo PC has actually gotten the love it deserves. Usually it's forgotten that it even exists when people mention great maps or they talk about porting maps.

I also have to say those videos linked are amazing. To see the maps up close in a first person perspective just really shows how damn beautiful they are. I really can't wait to play them.
Have you seen the Multiplayer panel? Timberland was already planned for Halo 2. The map is really beautiful and never had the chance to play an Objective gametype on it.

I hope we are going to make a big custom night when Anniversry came out.

Kuroyume said:

15 shot kill will be ok for Halo Reach but hopefully Halo 4 has a 20 shot kill. Longer kill times are fun!

GhaleonEB said:
Didn't make the cut.

The 343 folks were careful to neither rule out another TU or to promise a new one, though there were a few hypothetical, "were we to do another TU that's something we'd include..." type of statements. They have one person doing the coding for the TU, and while the guy is hugely talented he didn't have time for a large update. I hope they just keep him plugging away for a couple more months so a second, smaller TU can hit a few things in the core gameplay (such as vehicle health and the Banshee behavior). Hope springs eternal.

Woah! Major props to that guy he must be insanely talented to dissect and change things himself.

Im hoping for another TU, Reach has a whole host of issues, the current changes are a good start but even they might not be enough to stop a lot of the frustration. I just hope till a TU changes things like AA's that the classic ++ playlist is really good.

ElRenoRaven

Hypertrooper said:
Have you seen the Multiplayer panel? Timberland was already planned for Halo 2. The map is really beautiful and never had the chance to play an Objective gametype on it.

I hope we are going to make a big custom night when Anniversry came out.

Well yea. I remember Max saying he wanted to do it. It however never got released. So if it was never released you can't really say it got the credit it deserved. I would honestly have loved to see it over..um....damn....brainfart.....um the map that wasn't Hang Em High.

Oozer3993 said:
Halo: Reach |OT6| I hear Frankie solved P=NP
Gui_PT said:
Halo: Reach |OT6| - WHY WON'T CEA HAVE MULTIPLAYER?!
Lol'd at both of these.

Pardon my ignorance if there's some GAF rule I don't know about, but why don't we just transition to HaloGaf OT1 right now? We talk about both games already and it's not like this is a "release" thread since it's on the community side.

Striker

PsychoRaven said:
Well yea. I remember Max saying he wanted to do it. It however never got released. So if it was never released you can't really say it got the credit it deserved. I would honestly have loved to see it over..um....damn....brainfart.....um the map that wasn't Hang Em High.
Get Max on the Halo 4 MP team, or CA in general, and bring back maps like Terminal. I wouldn't even change much barring any overhaul in gameplay. Changing maps just because like they did for Blackout and Last Resort were just heart-breaking.

Kuroyume

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
Aren't you the no fun allowed guy that wants turretless hogs and vehicles only for transportation?

The only OP vehicles in Reach is the tank on an open map and the banshee. Everything else gets fucked by DMR fire. Not to mention vague vehicle health. It needs to be changed. BTB was a blast in H2 And H3. In reach not so much.

Driving the warthog is what I find fun, not camping on the turret and picking on the turtle slow people trying to get around the maps. I would be okay with a health boost if only it also means a turret nerf both in damage and cool down.

BTB was a blast in H2. Terrible in H3 and now even worse in Reach. I don't blame the DMR and vehicle health for Reach's BTB problems. If people didn't move around as if they were carrying bricks tied to their legs then I don't believe DMR would be much of an issue for you. There's more to it than that anyway. Shitty original BTB maps and a lack of them anyway, too many Forge maps, armor abilities, etc. I really don't think changing the vehicles and DMR would improve BTB for you.

Kujo

PsychoRaven said:
That's the PC version. There is no aim assist at all in it so you have to make sure you're more accurate. Good rule of thumb is to aim just a hair above what you're aiming for.

Also yes Ridgeline aka Timberland was an awesome map in Halo PC. I was very glad to see it brought back.
It still seems random, sometimes it goes to the left of the middle, sometimes the right. Hoping CEA's tank works fine.

And yeah Timberland was great, remake I'm most interested in besides Headlong

bobs99 ... said:
Woah! Major props to that guy he must be insanely talented to dissect and change things himself.
The Halo 4 art trailer was made by one guy too. (The art did the whole team but animation etc. was done by this guy.) 343i has very talented people. I'm really excited about the first gameplay glimpse

Kuroyume

Banned
Btw, the biggest problem with the Warthog is it's stopping power. Not only did Bungie make movement slow down to a crawl for people not using vehicles, but the second the Warthog is on you you're moving even slower. WTF

Give on foot players stopping power against vehicles!

FyreWulff

Letters said:
Fyrewulff, how's that catching up on the threads going?

Holy shit it is taking forever.

Around the time of your hilarious REACH IS DOOMED tweet, we got confirmation from David Ellis that the stuff in the vids and that people were playing, were not actual gametypes, but more more like demonstrations of the post-TU possibilities.

It was actually supposed to be "Reach Classic" but holy shit tweeting from a dumbphone sucks and takes forever. I didn't want to spend another five minutes to go back and 'classic' to that tweet.

To a point, I think this thread was more up to date on the whole picture of Reach TU than those of us actually at Halofest. All the little bits of information were sprinkled throughout each panel, so unless you just sat in a chair in the theater all day you were going to miss at least one important piece of information.

I pretty much had to check HBO and HaloGAF each night to catch up on all the little details each day.

Also I hoped people liked my question. I threw in the "does it affect campaign or firefight" at the end since I knew Ghaleon was wondering if it did or not. I think I wanted it to come out more as "do any of the balance changes affect campaign or firefight", though. Being someone with actual diagnosed agoraphobia, even getting up to the mic and talking was a hair-raising for me and I was glad I was able to get through it.

And I laughed so damn hard at that guy asking about multiplayer. I THINK he was going for why no Live for Halo 1's original multiplayer though. I think. Maybe. Still funny.

Also, weirdest moment of Halofest for me was one of the enforcers recognizing my gamertag and telling the other ones next to her that I was the guy that wrote a big thing on how the spawn system works. I've just never had a stranger (unless she actually does post on HBO, but I forgot to ask her if she did) comment on something you wrote in person, you know?

ElRenoRaven

Mojo said:
It still seems random, sometimes it goes to the left of the middle, sometimes the right. Hoping CEA's tank works fine.

And yeah Timberland was great, remake I'm most interested in besides Headlong

Oh it will. Like I said remember it's designed to have the aim assist etc unlike the PC version of Halo which didn't have any. So you won't have the issues the PC version of had. That's one of the reasons I say the PC version was damn good but far from perfect.

feel

Syracuse022 said:
Lol'd at both of these.

Pardon my ignorance if there's some GAF rule I don't know about, but why don't we just transition to HaloGaf OT1 right now? We talk about both games already and it's not like this is a "release" thread since it's on the community side.
I think it's out of respect for Reach (it's still the latest release) and Ghaleon (he doesn't seem that into Anniversary or creating non-Reach OTs) so it seems the "change" will happen after the release of Anniversary, when the campaign/mp discussion in the Gaming side OT dies down and migrates to Community where it will merge with Reach for HaloGAF |OT1|.

Captain Blood said:
Has anyone from 343 straight up said that the zero bloom DMR won't be a game type option in a playlist?
I hope it ends up being in the playlist.

There is nothing wrong with Zero bloom. For those AR lovers that dislike it they can go and play any of the other gametypes in MM that include 100% bloom.

Devin Olsen said:

There is nothing wrong with Zero bloom. For those AR lovers that dislike it they can go and play any of the other gametypes in MM that include 100% bloom.
This.
At the very least have it be a game type option for people to choose from. If for some reason the game type makes xboxs explode from all the zero bloom glory it could always be removed, no harm no foul....except for the blown up xboxs.

FyreWulff

Devin Olsen said:

And then you rage at an AR user out-burst firing you in zero bloom and you throw your Duke against the wall and take out 6 houses in the direction you threw it in.

FyreWulff said:
At least 4 other people I talked to noticed the NR autoheadshot. I had asked them to try it to make sure I wasn't just seeing things.

Huh, good going check with others. Let's hope that gets fixed. An easy fix would be just leaving the NR out of TS bloomless and the CEA gametypes.

FyreWulff said:
And then you rage at an AR user out-burst firing you in zero bloom and you throw your Duke against the wall and take out 6 houses in the direction you threw it in.
I lol'd

feel

not a fan of the little bit of bloom gameplay on the vids, ZERO BLOOM please, I'm aiming with a controller, let the bullets go exactly where I'm aiming at, I already suck at aiming as is! (with zoom and ROF nerfs where needed) Though will approach the beta hoppers with an open mind.

PsychoRaven said:
That's sad to hear. I'll never in a million years understand why people have to do that shit.
money

and yeah, sad to hear indeed

PsychoRaven said:
That's sad to hear. I'll never in a million years understand why people have to do that shit.
EE7Mz.jpg

Money makes the world go 'round.

Each of the passes were likely selling for 150-200 each.

3,000 x 150 = 450,000.00 (holy shit, I had to double check if that was right)

PooBone

Mojo said:
Nope it's the same in the Xbox version. The reticle will point where you want to point the barrel, but it's hard to tell a lot of times if there's something in the environment between the end of the barrel and your target. It was a lot better in later games.

FyreWulff

Devin Olsen said:
EE7Mz.jpg

Yup, they're dealing with professional counterfeiters. Add in Seattle's lack of scalping laws and you pretty much have a prime target for this kind of shit.

Since we can only have three Marketplace Content items active at one time, will the TU address this or will we have to ditch our Reach pre-order/retailer exclusive crap so we can have all three map packs active? I had a bitch of a time figuring out why, all of the sudden, my Defiant maps wouldn't load until I remembered that I had to delete my Bungie Pro Confirmation from a couple of weeks ago. :-\

A27 Tawpgun said:

Could have been me :) I hate vehicles for the most part. I think I share a very similar opinion, maybe identical, as Kuroyume, regarding vehicles. I like the focus to be on actual FPS action with vehicles as an option for transporting players as it was in Combat Evolved. When I would host 8v8 LAN's, we always kept the tanks out. I don't like vehicles being turned into killing machines like they were in 3 and now in Reach. Halo2 was about as much vehicle action as I want in Halo and the right balance. It's hard enough getting the weapon sandbox balanced. Throwing vehicles into the mix just makes it that much more complicated.

ElRenoRaven

Devin Olsen said:
EE7Mz.jpg

Well yea I know money. I'm talking on a more moral level. There are honest legal ways to make money. To make those badges they obviously have some skills. Yet they go with the way that is not only illegal but just totally scummy.

kylej

Banned
PsychoRaven said:
Well yea I know money. I'm talking on a more moral level. There are honest legal ways to make money. To make those badges they obviously have some skills. Yet they go with the way that is not only illegal but just totally scummy.

This is America, dude.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Captain Blood said:
Has anyone from 343 straight up said that the zero bloom DMR won't be a game type option in a playlist?
It almost certainly WILL be available in a playlist. Not all playlists, but some playlist. If it is horrifically overpowered then it might end up in something like a swat playlist.

FyreWulff said:
Yup, they're dealing with professional counterfeiters. Add in Seattle's lack of scalping laws and you pretty much have a prime target for this kind of shit.
I honestly have no idea why they don't add a hologram to the badge, or a barcode... Something that would make it very hard to counterfeit.

OuterWorldVoice said:
It almost certainly WILL be available in a playlist. Not all playlists, but some playlist. If it is horrifically overpowered then it might end up in something like a swat playlist.
If the only way to play Zero Bloom ends up being Swat I will straight up shed a tear.

Stinkles

Devin Olsen said:
I honestly have no idea why they don't add a hologram to the badge, or a barcode... Something that would make it very hard to counterfeit.

If the only way to play Zero Bloom ends up being Swat I will straight up shed a tear.
It won't be literally swat, I mean a game type that is purely for quick, decisive outcomes, four or five shots instead of one. Anyway, in all likelihood it will end up in a variety of lists and types. So relax.

feel

OuterWorldVoice said:
:mad:

OuterWorldVoice said:
It won't be literally swat, I mean a game type that is purely for quick, decisive outcomes, four or five shots instead of one. Anyway, in all likelihood it will end up in a variety of lists and types. So relax.
:mad:

Stinkles

Is Fyrewulff seriously back to making sweeping claims about things that haven't been established yet? Well you live and learn!

GhaleonEB

Devin Olsen said:
http://i.imgur.com/EE7Mz.jpg

I didn't talk to any of the scalpers/fake pass sellers, but some of the people I was with did. The 3-day pass was selling for $65 from one of them, only a $10 mark up. Which, in hindsight, should have been a dead give away that they were fake, not scalped, passes.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Well you live and learn!
He doesn't though.

GhaleonEB said:
I didn't talk to any of the scalpers/fake pass sellers, but some of the people I was with did. The 3-day pass was selling for $65 from one of them, only a $10 mark up. Which, in hindsight, should have been a dead give away that they were fake, not scalped, passes.
Ah I didn't realize that... Still at only $65.00 a badge they likely made a TON of money.

Top Bottom