• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

stephen08

Kuroyume said:
Yes, I get all that. My point is that Dani wants a DMR with H3 spread/H2 hitscan where as I want a bloomless DMR with hitscan. I don't want a spread. I have a general understanding of the system it's just that as far as I'm aware if I take one shot with a bloomless DMR there is no spread right?

I feel like I had a good understanding of this and now I'm confused.

There's some spread within the reticule but for the DMR it only applies at really long ranges.

Kujo

Just give me anything other than Halo 3's BR. That weapon is absolutely garbage on yellow bars. H3 multi is unplayable for me these days

Gimme dual SMGs that shoot lasers with 5x scope

Mojo said:
Just give me anything other than Halo 3's BR. That weapon is absolutely garbage on yellow bars. H3 multi is unplayable for me these days

Gimme dual SMGs that shoot lasers with 5x scope

It's still a blast on LAN, but I agree it sucks on XBL these days.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Farooq said:
So you do condone randomness...lol.

Even if it is only applicable over vast distances. I understand your argument.

But if we were going to design a game from scratch, I would rather curb long distance dominance of the utility weapon by requiring more dexterity from the user, than instituting a spread mechanic.

I get what you're saying. Dexterity translates into skill and so in theory the better player wins. I agree with this concept just not how I'd apply it in this kind of situation. I would rather have a hard-coded engagement distance limit in everything but the appropriate power weapons such as the sniper.

I'd want a sandbox that allows a level like Valhalla to play as designed and doesn't disrupt a map like Hemorrage (which I don't think works too well in Reach's current sandbox).

Domino Theory said:
I don't know if it was the TVs I was playing on at Halo Fest or any other external factor, but I noticed reduced magnetism and a little more kickback than usual on the bloomless DMR. I could've been seeing things, though.

My guess is another rate of fire cap will be put on these weapons once bloom is removed.

Really interested to see how the bloomless DMR plays out. I doubt they will be able to limit the range but if they can cap the rate of fire it would be an improvement.

Mojo said:

Halo 3's netcode and poor player connections are not a fault of Halo 3's BR. Hitscan and Reach's netcode alone would transform how reliable the weapon is significantly.

I wanted to do more, but I accidentally popped the camera back to my Rookie while I was outside the map and couldn't break out anymore. Pissed me off, but oh well. Tomorrow.

feel

n3nt5v.jpg

Not even a little mad? I did boot you with 5 seconds to go on the clock in a ranked match, a full minute after you betrayed me for the sniper.

Kujo

Dani said:
Halo 3's netcode and poor player connections are not a fault of Halo 3's BR. Hitscan and Reach's netcode alone would transform how reliable the weapon is significantly.
I wish I could remember how Halo 2's BR was, been 5 years since I've played that online. I guess if Hitscan can make the BR playable for overseas connections then sure. How about a 2 bullet weapon for H4, seems like a nice compromise. I call it the DBMR

Letters said:
n3nt5v.jpg

Not even a little mad? I did boot you with 5 seconds to go on the clock in a ranked match, a full minute after you betrayed me for the sniper.

People still betray someone for getting a power weapon first? lulz.

Devolution said:
People still betray someone for getting a power weapon first? lulz.
The only times I ever would is if someone bad or a guest kept taking sniper and wasting it/dying with it on the other side of the map.

Striker

Dani said:
Basically asking for a Halo 2 BR pre-update, which isn't enticing. The burst in Halo 2 post-update hit the enemy full on, not pending on connection with the spread beforehand.

Kujo

I got betrayed in 3 seperate games in H3 last week for taking the shotgun/sniper first. It transcends games

I still think you should only be able to betray in Slayer games, not every playlist

Striker said:
Basically asking for a Halo 2 BR pre-update, which isn't enticing. The burst in Halo 2 post-update hit the enemy full on, not pending on connection with the spread beforehand.

Halo 3 br > pre update H2 BR

The PU BR was a shotgun.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I hope Halo 4 implements the concept of range simply dying out after a set point. It might seem frustrating at times in the middle of matches to aim at someone perfectly across the map and shoot yet not have your shot register, but it seems to be the most viable solution.

That way you can have hitscan, no bloom, no spread, a larger rate of fire, but still have balance between each weapon in the sandbox.

Woorloog

Banned
Blue Ninja said:

I wanted to do more, but I accidentally popped the camera back to my Rookie while I was outside the map and couldn't break out anymore. Pissed me off, but oh well. Tomorrow.
Very nice. I loved ODST skyboxes. ODST's main issues are the lack of length and somewhat uninspired and lacking story. I don't think i have anything else negative to say.
Hmm, maybe i should replay that game..

Domino Theory said:
I hope Halo 4 implements the concept of range simply dying out after a set point. It might seem frustrating at times in the middle of matches to aim at someone perfectly across the map and shoot yet not have your shot register, but it seems to be the most viable solution.

That way you can have hitscan, no bloom, no spread, a larger rate of fire, but still have balance between each weapon in the sandbox.

Just make it like H2.

Reticle red? Hitscan

not red? (out of range) not hit scan

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Domino Theory said:

See that's a perfect wishlist of exactly what I'd want but you just know there would be something to stop it being perfect. Bloom, spread or something else they'd invent to get in the way. LOL

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Dani said:
See that's a perfect wishlist of exactly what I'd want but you just know there would be something to stop it being perfect. Bloom, spread or something else they'd invent to get in the way. LOL

Yep, it seems like after Halo 2, our wishes for the weapons were always half-assed.

Halo 3 - "No bloom, but no hitscan either and we'll spread it up"
Halo 3: ODST - "We're not even going to bother giving you a BR"
Halo: Reach - "We'll give you hitscan, but no BR, and tons of bloom"

Domino Theory said:
Yep, it seems like after Halo 2, our wishes for the weapons were always half-assed.

I couldn't hear you over the sound of your nitpicking :p

I'm glad ODST had no BR

feel

Domino Theory said:

Halo 4: "Rise and shine recoil, rise and shine"

Woorloog said:
Very nice. I loved ODST skyboxes. ODST's main issues are the lack of length and somewhat uninspired and lacking story. I don't think i have anything else negative to say.
Hmm, maybe i should replay that game..
I hope you are only talking about the love story Bungie sneaked in. btw. Halo 3: ODST Intro cut scene is the best Halo intro. Damn. The drop still give me goosebumps. So awesome.

A27_StarWolf said:
I couldn't hear you over the sound of your nitpicking :p

I'm glad ODST had no BR

I'm glad as well. Firefight is much more interesting when you don't have "that weapon" where you aren't forced to use a variety of weapons.

Halo 4: Pistol, 4sk, 12 bullets in the mag. Heaven.

orznge

Banned
Dani said:
I get what you're saying. Dexterity translates into skill and so in theory the better player wins. I agree with this concept just not how I'd apply it in this kind of situation. I would rather have a hard-coded engagement distance limit in everything but the appropriate power weapons such as the sniper.

I'd want a sandbox that allows a level like Valhalla to play as designed and doesn't disrupt a map like Hemorrage (which I don't think works too well in Reach's current sandbox).

Why does everyone discount map design when it comes to these issues? It's not like the weapons were designed independently from the maps and then when the game went gold they just threw everything together and said "let's release!" (or maybe they did).

The weapons and maps were all designed by members of a single development team; someone, somewhere should be saying "hey, these weapons are making the maps play weird" (or vice versa). It's almost as if people think there is a map design team that is saying "yeah, I've got this cool map, it's really Halo... vehicles going everywhere, ARs spraying, I've totally perfected the metaphysical qualities of the "Halo" flavor" and then the asshole weapon design team comes in and says "ahaha we are going make our weapons ruin your maps, owned".

I mean really look at some of the maps that shipped with Reach and try to figure out how much was, in any capacity, thoughtfully designed.

orznge said:
Why does everyone discount map design when it comes to these issues? It's not like the weapons were designed independently from the maps and then when the game went gold they just threw everything together and said "let's release!" (or maybe they did).

The weapons and maps were all designed by members of a single development team; someone, somewhere should be saying "hey, these weapons are making the maps play weird" (or vice versa). It's almost as if people think there is a map design team that is saying "yeah, I've got this cool map, it's really Halo... vehicles going everywhere, ARs spraying, I've totally perfected the metaphysical qualities of the "Halo" flavor" and then the asshole weapon design team comes in and says "ahaha we are going make our weapons ruin your maps, owned".

I mean really look at some of the maps that shipped with Reach and try to figure out how much was, in any capacity, thoughtfully designed.

I hate to be this big of an asshole but the more I play Reach I wonder to myself just how much Bungie played it through considering how many things needed fixing and still need fixing. And I'm not talking subjective things, I'm talking stuff like glitches and kill zones.

I can't fucking believe the revenant autoaim is still in game. And I didn't see anything in the TU about it.

Tunavi said:
Zero bloom pistol should replace the DMR. Not a 3 shot kill though.
I wonder what will happen when tweaking player settings like damage resistance and damage modifier, we may get a 4sk pistol which would basically act as halo 2's br.

Gabotron ES said:
I wonder what will happen when tweaking player settings like damage resistance and damage modifier, we may get a 4sk pistol which would basically act as halo 2's br.

Yeah it will be interesting to see. The Zero bloom pistol should pack some serious punch, you will be able to fire it quite quickly.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
orznge said:

Discounting map design? Read over my posts again - I've used two maps in most of my examples to help articulate my arguments.

Look at Valhalla and how well that map accommodates the weapon set and sandbox. The example I keep repeating is how a BR user cannot dominate the map and how the middle hill - one of the key positions to hold, is affected by how the BR does and doesn't work. Valhalla is the perfect marriage of map design and the sandbox complimenting each other.

Hemorrhage in Reach is the complete opposite. It wasn't designed for the Reach sandbox since it's an updated map from Halo CE and it's very, very obvious. The bumps and uneven terrain play havoc with the Warthog. Jet-pack users get decimated. The Scorpion was so broken on the map it had to be removed. The DMR turns the centre of the map into a no-man's land. Hemorrhage demonstrates the need and importance of matching map design with the sandbox and the consequence of getting that balance wrong.

Karl2177

As much as I complain about this game, I think I should complain about the people that play this game too. Fuck you to all of the people that pick ARs on shitty FW maps and Countdown.

Woorloog

Banned
Hypertrooper said:
I hope you are only talking about the love story Bungie sneaked in. btw. Halo 3: ODST Intro cut scene is the best Halo intro. Damn. The drop still give me goosebumps. So awesome.
The intro is awesome, one of the best i've ever seen, though i'd love to see a drop without it being ended abrutly but one that ends you hitting in ground and having to fight immediatly.
As for the story...
The squad is appropiated by an ONI officer, not told anything and dropped into hell. Next you you find clues what your squad mates were doing earlier and then you stumble upon Dare's call, go meet her, pick up a purple thing that's annoying gameplay-wise, leave the city, meet up with the squad, the end. There's no exposition. Preventing the Covenant from getting New Mombasa AI is a bit weak objective (and the twist doesn't change it). It's not compelling, unless people are made to care first. (Reach failed in this even worse than ODST, i didn't care about the planet and it's denizen and even less about the Noble team)
I did like finding clues and i liked the squad but still.... It's not much of an story. There was no true depth in it. (Though maybe games are a wrong place to look for deep stories.)
As for the love story, i didn't mind it, besides, it was a side thing. IMO.
And it didn't exactly feel like the hell it should've been even for badass normals like ODSTs, so showing off the war from a non-Spartan's viewpoint in addition to shallow story doesn't work either. Though maybe that wasn't even intended.
(Still, i wish someone would make a game about how hellish war really is. And i don't mean like having body pieces and gore everywhere. Tension, stress too. Something that repulses players but compless them to go through the story and makes them think)

Karl2177 said:
As much as I complain about this game, I think I should complain about the people that play this game too. Fuck you to all of the people that pick ARs on shitty FW maps and Countdown.

It's really funny (read stupid) when they vote for that just to be contrarian and ragequit. Should ban those folks for a day for that shit.

senador

Banned
Domino Theory said:

This is what I want. I want hitscan and I do not want spread. I would take burst fire if no spread but I'd prefer a DMR like single shot. If reticule is read I can hit them, if not I can't.

I also want a Reach like pistol with a decent clip size and a AR that becomes less and less effected over distance and time holding the trigger.

Edit: I wonder if that'd work though. Asylum base to opposite sniper seems like a fine distance to me, but side to side on Highlands or base to base is too far, IMO.

GhaleonEB

Dani said:
Discounting map design? Read over my posts again - I've used two maps in most of my examples to help articulate my arguments.

Look at Valhalla and how well that map accommodates the weapon set and sandbox. The example I keep repeating is how a BR user cannot dominate the map and how the middle hill - one of the key positions to hold, is affected by how the BR does and doesn't work. Valhalla is the perfect marriage of map design and the sandbox complimenting each other.

Hemorrhage in Reach is the complete opposite. It wasn't designed for the Reach sandbox since it's an updated map from Halo CE and it's very, very obvious. The bumps and uneven terrain play havoc with the Warthog. Jet-pack users get decimated. The Scorpion was so broken on the map it had to be removed. The DMR turns the center of the map into a no-man's land. Hemorrhage demonstrates the need and importance of matching map design with the sandbox and the consequence of getting that balance wrong.
Well said.

Bit of a tangent, but I think it bears repeating: this applies to campaign as well. You can bet that the Chopper and the dunes of The Ark were crafted to play well together. Meanwhile, the Revenant was not so well integrated with the environments.

Halo 3 was the culmination of a combat sandbox iterated on in large part by the same lead designer three times. Reach started from scratch rather than building on the lessons learned, and it shows.

Karl2177 said:
Why do I go into the hellhole that is Team Slayer?
Did you come to visit me? That's my home. And there is almost always, either, bad guests on my team, a quitter, or someone who is AFK every match. It's the best playlist in Reach! You get to play against armor lockers, invis campers, jetpackers who negate map design, and sprinters who are obsessed with whoring sword, hammer, shotgun. It's great. Send me an invite next time I'm online: XxDeputyMoonman

Reach is so broke right now I might just send a little money to help the game through this difficult time.

I'm just not interested in playing with MLG try hards. And as much as I argue for a universal weapon for everyone to start with, I actually prefer pistol/ar starts in Reach, because I can't handle DMR fights with bloom.

Gui_PT

I'm really glad they worked on a TU to help fix some of the game breaking problems, but there are so many more things to fix.

Hope they consider at least 1 more TU.

Hypertrooper said:

I thought ODST's campaign was a nice self contained segment. I really liked the feel of combat as an ODST as well. I haven't played the campaigns for 1-3 in quite a while though, but I don't remember them being as enjoyable as ODST (except maybe CE).

Farooq

Banned
Devolution said:
I remember in h3 when objectives would show up in FFAs. Stuff like hill games, I'd just kill people. Nice way to farm multi-kills too.

Lol, I would do the same thing.

However it is a nice way to get negative feedback, when you go 24-0 and have zero time in the hill.

Farooq said:
Lol, I would do the same thing.

However it is a nice way to get negative feedback, when you go 24-0 and have zero time in the hill.

I played FFAs for the slayers. I didn't ask for objectives in that playlist, hell who did? What's the point? Hold this ball while 7 other people fire at you? Hold this hill while getting naded simultaneously by several other people? Fuck that, I just want to slay.

senador

Banned
Devolution said:
I played FFAs for the slayers. I didn't ask for objectives in that playlist, hell who did? What's the point? Hold this ball while 7 other people fire at you? Hold this hill while getting naded simultaneously by several other people? Fuck that, I just want to slay.

Hill is a cluster, but I think FFA Oddball is fun. *shrug*

Havok

Devolution said:
Stop giving me Lone Wolves Epitaph Oddball/KOTH flashbacks. Shit's like 'Nam.

thezerofire said:
Halo 3 was pretty fun

Did you end up getting Teams going? I enjoyed that FFA game but I joined late and didnt want to play to 200 kills or whatever the scoreline was on Heretic lol.

Devolution said:

There are times that I have actually enjoyed Objective in FFA, its crazy but it does happen on the very rare occasion.

Objective in Swat though, what the hell was that about lol?

senador said:
Hill is a cluster, but I think FFA Oddball is fun. *shrug*

Should have had an option to play those if you wanted to. I just wanted to kill people not hide in a corner with ball.

There are times that I have actually enjoyed Objective in FFA, its crazy but it does happen on the very rare occasion.

Objective in Swat though, what the hell was that about lol?

I find objective FFAs more fun with people I know. Randoms I couldn't care less.

Or team sniper capture the flag, lol.

Top Bottom