• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

bobs99 ... said:
Did you end up getting Teams going? I enjoyed that FFA game but I joined late and didnt want to play to 200 kills or whatever the scoreline was on Heretic lol.
no, one of my friends flaked so we never got enough. We did matchmaking instead

Tawpgun

I was thinking... What if we capped bloom off to Halo 3 BR levels.

Meaning the bloom would only go as far as the halo 3 BR spread. So if someone is at far range, you can pace them for the perfect shot. If someone is mid range, just fire normally.

But then I was thinking its also single shot... so even at mid range you'd have headshots miss despite perfect aim.

Just gimme dat bloomless DMR.

senador

Banned
Havok said:
Stop giving me Lone Wolves Epitaph Oddball/KOTH flashbacks. Shit's like 'Nam.

You love that hill behind the pillar.

Devolution said:
Should have had an option to play those if you wanted to. I just wanted to kill people not hide in a corner with ball.

I think it works good as is/was. An FFA Objective list wouldn't survive, and I wouldn't want to play that anyway. To me its a nice mix up to get a different gametype like that every once in a while. I never played it like that anyway, i like to move around and run paths on maps.

I like Halo's matchmaking as there's not much I absolutely hate playing in Halo. I am of the mindset that "you" can live through this gametype because soon we'll play one you like and I like less. I feel it works out pretty good as long as its spread out. My opinion anyway. We'll never get everyone to like everything the same in Halo, and giving everyone their own place will just make way too many playlists and sparse populations. My way of thinking doesn't taken into account things like Hemorrhage being voted for over and over in Team Snipers though.

Retro

senador said:
My way of thinking doesn't taken into account things like Hemorrhage being voted for over and over in Team Snipers though.

Asylum in Team SWAT. Every. Single Time. Except when it's Reflection.

senador said:
You love that hill behind the pillar.

I think it works good as is/was. An FFA Objective list wouldn't survive, and I wouldn't want to play that anyway. To me its a nice mix up to get a different gametype like that every once in a while. I never played it like that anyway, i like to move around and run paths on maps.

I like Halo's matchmaking as there's not much I absolutely hate playing in Halo. I am of the mindset that "you" can live through this gametype because soon we'll play one you like and I like less. I feel it works out pretty good as long as its spread out. My opinion anyway. We'll never get everyone to like everything the same in Halo, and giving everyone their own place will just make way too many playlists and sparse populations. My way of thinking doesn't taken into account things like Hemorrhage being voted for over and over in Team Snipers though.

I consider FFA to already be kind of crappy if the maps are too big and I'm actively looking for people to kill. I can only imagine how trying to win an objective is even more of a pain in the ass in Reach considering the size of the maps and various other things. I haven't touched rumble pit in a while since I kept getting 2nd to people who spawned closer to other players. Meanwhile I'm just busting my ass trying to find someone to kill. (How people vote sword base over anything else just boggles my mind.)

The reason I don't like objectives in FFAs, is the same reason I get frustrated with hot potato. Spawns are random and so much about luck. Trying to get back to the hill or ball seems like a chore. I'd rather just firefight this dude next to me.

A27 Tawpgun said:
I was thinking... What if we capped bloom off to Halo 3 BR levels.

Meaning the bloom would only go as far as the halo 3 BR spread. So if someone is at far range, you can pace them for the perfect shot. If someone is mid range, just fire normally.

But then I was thinking its also single shot... so even at mid range you'd have headshots miss despite perfect aim.

Just gimme dat bloomless DMR.

The more I think about it the more I dislike how Reach Bloom is...

However I think that Bloom should be in Halo, just removing it is a step backwards, there has to be a way to implement it correctly.

Havok

A27_StarWolf said:

However I think that Bloom should be in Halo, just removing it is a step backwards, there has to be a way to implement it correctly.
People wouldn't hate bloom as much as they do if it didn't expand past the outer reticule (on the DMR, in this example). It's all about giving the player a visual indicaton of 'no matter how you fire, your shots will land somewhere in here, and we're giving you this information up front.'

A27_StarWolf said:

Why does it need to be in? I just hear some crap about skill gaps like there weren't any in the previous games.

Tawpgun

A27_StarWolf said:

Just because something got implemented in a Halo game doesn't mean it needs to stay.

Dual Wielding got removed for good reason.

Devolution said:
Why does it need to be in? I just hear some crap about skill gaps like there weren't any in the previous games.
Bloom: because Halo1 and 2 weren't good enough.
GessWutZebra128405811660283961.jpg

Hey You

I haven't been playing much of Reach lately, hosted my regular weekly gamenight last night, last MM game was the 6th and only play a couple of games.

Kinda burnt out atm, but I guess that's what happens when you play almost 6000 games of Reach in less than a year.

The new maps will bring some freshness to Reach for me.

Deputy Moonman said:
Bloom: because Halo1 and 2 weren't good enough.

Just remove strafing and headshots, and put in some pacing mechanic that gets mitigated by spamming and latency. What a joke. I'll just never "get" the point.

Devolution said:

I think that if it was a brand new game that no one had ever played before, it may have been received somewhat better. But within the Halo sandbox, it was entirely out of context and actually detracts from the experience. Bloom is in your face, all the time.

There was plenty of skill gap with the Halo 3 BR, with strafing and aiming (hand-eye coordination) being the differentiation between just good and pro players..

Also, this game was ridiculous:

http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=791430877&player=Water%20Jaguar

GhaleonEB

A27_StarWolf said:

You would probably dislike a rough kick to the testicles with a steel toed boot, but that doesn't mean a more graceful kick will make for a more pleasant experience.

Letters said:

Maybe I'm just being optimistic guys...

I think that 85 percent bloom might change our minds a little...

Bloom was supposed to add depth to a weapon and it might simply be able to.

LOOK GUYS that being said I'm still fine in having a bloomless halo 4

GhaleonEB said:
You would probably dislike a rough kick to the testicles with a steel toed boot, but that doesn't mean a more graceful kick will make for a more pleasant experience.

We get it, you don't like Deus X :p hahah

I'm trying to be Optimistic. You could learn a thing or two about being optimistic HaloGAF

orznge

Banned
Whatever depth is added by bloom would be dwarfed by simply having a non-hitscan precision weapon that needs leading in the same manner as the CE pistol. Maybe some people are under the impression that the implementation of bloom in Reach is at all complex, compelling, or challenging but I would much rather have a powerful weapon that has a skill requirement that includes spatial ability in addition to aim.

GhaleonEB

A27_StarWolf said:
We get it, you don't like Deus X :p hahah

I'm trying to be Optimistic. You could learn a thing or two about being optimistic HaloGAF
Oh, I'm enjoying Deux Ex quite a bit right now, despite the flaws (not sure why I waddle like a duck). Got a pile of missions which I'm cheerfully ignoring to loot some random dude's apartment. Left him tranquilized and passed out on the sofa as I broken into his computer and stole his beer. That sort of thing goes a long way with me.

Let's do an experiment. For the second kick, I'll only swing 85% as hard as the first.

A27_StarWolf said:
Maybe I'm just being optimistic guys...

I think that 85 percent bloom might change our minds a little...

Bloom was supposed to add depth to a weapon and it might simply be able to.

The meta-game of being about to out-shoot your opponent with quicker reflexes and better aiming and strafing WAS the depth. The depth was built in.. external depth addition was not required. Check please!

Waiting for my reticle to retract is not deep, just annoying....

Sorry Sage, if you happen to read that. At least Bungie was willing to take a risk.

BackdoorBeauty said:
The meta-game of being about to out-shoot your opponent with quicker reflexes and better aiming and strafing WAS the depth. The depth was built in.. external depth addition was not required. Check please!

Waiting for my reticle to retract is not deep, just annoying....

Couldn't have said it better myself.

orznge said:
Has anyone confirmed yet whether Reach's bizarre player physics are being changed in the TU?

You mean if the inertia will be still be present? Or the fact that you brush up against a team mate and go 10 feet?

Awesome Barlow said:
Oh gosh dubstep fans! What have I started? *slowly sneaks out of the thread*

Not really. Just calling out a whole genre as bad is annoying to anyone who enjoys at least some of it. Plus if you're more exposed to the shit dubstep and not branching out, well of course it seems laughably bad.

/done with OT talk

Haha I'm a music snob. To each their own. I'll stick with Rock N' Roll and Country.

Also, I don't know when I am going to have time to play anymore. I'm super busy and soon my little time online is going to be split between gears and Reach.

Booshka

Awesome Barlow said:
Haha I'm a music snob. To each their own. I'll stick with Rock N' Roll and Country.

Also, I don't know when I am going to have time to play anymore. I'm super busy and soon my little time online is going to be split between gears and Reach.
oxymoron.

Booshka

The only Country music I liked was the radio station from GTA: San Andreas. It went well with the rural areas in that game.

Sai-kun said:
Do you have a last.fm? :D Oh god that E.T. remix is so good. I love Noisia's remix of it as well.

Oh god we're so off-topic. Quick! Someone post more Halo music!

Eh better than rehashing the same arguments. Gettin' along about music.

Booshka

Devolution said:
Most depressing post of the day, and I've looked at OT side today.
Sorry I had to do that, it actually disgusts me to hear classic artists and their songs played in the background of some stupid commercial.

Fuck Cadillac especially.

Karl2177

Sai-kun said:
Do you have a last.fm? :D Oh god that E.T. remix is so good. I love Noisia's remix of it as well.

Oh god we're so off-topic. Quick! Someone post more Halo music!
I do, but I never use it.

Wasn't there another Halo dubstep that someone posted a while back?

Top Bottom