• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

feel

xxjuicesxx said:
No I just mean there's a difference between bloom taking my kills and my teammates getting them first. You don't even know my last shot missed/wasn't a headshot because it was already taken before it hit. I watched it my aim and bloom control was pretty decent, which it always is :).
Teammates were getting them first multiple times through the vid because bloom had you missing 3 or 4 spam attempts at headshots trying desperately not to get the kill stolen.

edit- watched it again, nevermind, I was exaggerating, more like missing 1 or 2 shots and then getting them stolen

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Letters said:
Teammates were getting them first multiple times through the vid because bloom had you missing 3 or 4 spam attempts at headshots trying desperately not to get the kill stolen.

edit- watched it again, nevermind, I was exaggerating, more like missing 1 or 2 shots and then getting them stolen

A wizard shoots precisely where he means to.

BWdAx.jpg

feel

OuterWorldVoice said:
A wizard shoots precisely where he means to.
In the eventual promotional TU1 vidoc or trailer, that should flash across a black screen at some point and then fade into some zero bloom gameplay.

edit-
Zerobloom/Headlong/AA-less gameplay ETA: FOUR SLEEPS!!!

edit2-
Both things I described above should have some Two Steps From Hell as soundtrack

GhaleonEB said:
Probably an even mix of 1) does it get better?, 2) I didn't want to feel defeated by a section, and 3) take downs/looting/exploring, with the possibility of upgrading as I gain experience, is a satisfying loop. The environments are very well designed so I keep trying to find less punishing ways to advance. Extreme patience and meticulous planning was the key (along with a lotta reload), which is why I was up so late.

I'm surprised that you don't like this game, the boss fights are pretty awful but the game is still amazing.

-------------

Also that Halo 4 bloom question, I think if 85 percent bloom works really well then yes.

Merguson said:
Expected film, left disappointed.

If only there was some sort of program and website that let me put whats happening on my screen out onto the internet so other people could watch those happenings.

If only.

Merguson

Banned
xxjuicesxx said:
If only there was some sort of program and website that let me put whats happening on my screen out onto the internet so other people could watch those happenings.

If only.

Or some sort of in-game program that lets you upload files for others to download and watch in-game.

343i hurry up and fix this shit.

Letters said:
In the eventual promotional TU1 vidoc or trailer, that should flash across a black screen at some point and then fade into some zero bloom gameplay.

edit-
Zerobloom/Headlong/AA-less gameplay ETA: FOUR SLEEPS!!!
I'm hyped for the Mister Chief troll face.

FyreWulff

thezerofire said:
still laughing about the AR starts stuff. The only thing that would make a DMR a power weapon is if you didn't spawn with it. AR starts worked like shit in Halo 3 and they continue to do so in Reach. Once you lose the initial rush for weapons you are essentially defenseless for the rest of the game unless the other team is completely incompetent.

This is because DMRs would be a pickup power weapon in AR start objective. Two, winning the weapons rush means the better team would still win in DMR start as well. If you win the initial rush and maintain the weapon resupply loop for all the weapons, if you lose at that point you're doing it wrong.

DMRs and BRs are much more interesting to me as a pickup weapon rather than a boring everyman spawn weapon. I already know how to use them - pretty well, in fact. I just find 100% DMR/BR start amazingly boring, hence why I don't really find playing Ranked or Arena experiences enjoyable either. The only DMR/BR start gametype that's fun is SWAT, but even then it's hard to get people to vote for objectives in that playlist.

At least there's one playlist in Reach AND Halo 3 with objective modes that's 99% AR starts. But it sure as hell isn't Team Objective.

cory021

Neo Member
Obviously I don't know how the CE Pistol will play in the TU. But what if BTB had the Assault Rifle and the CE Pistol as the starting weapon for BTB, while still using the DMR as a sort of 'power weapon,' like FyreWulff said. The Pistol will replace the DMR's power, but it wont have quite the range or effectiveness against vehicles that the DMR has as a starting weapon.

Lol yes I'd love to see you guys spawn without DMR's in BTB.

You realize the reason for that is to make it more even against spawn killing? Theres so many vehicles and power weapons in a BTB match that if the other team gets more of them and the DMR's and a vehicle, what chance does your team stand to ever mount any sort of offensive comeback?

I've gotten donged on by power teams that know them choosing classic and taking our DMR's away is an easy strategy for them to win by.

Getting pinged across Hemmorage is just good strategy especially if they have good angles for crossfire. Learning to know when to back down and let your teammates popout and crossfire is another part of strategy. Good teams will use this regardless of DMR or AR starts

GhaleonEB

A27_StarWolf said:
I'm surprised that you don't like this game, the boss fights are pretty awful but the game is still amazing.
This actually pertains to Reach a bit. I uniformly dislike game mechanics that muddy basic actions or which impair my ability to perceive my surroundings. I love Halo because it eschews these kinds of mechanics. No iron sights, no raspberry jam on the screen, and so on. Effective play comes from the proper utilization of the tools provided, with no added layer of complexity to impede their usage. If I fire an AR from long range, the result is I don't hit.

With Reach, precision weapon bloom was added, which punishes the act of simply firing the gun. Now, we can't just use normal game mechanics - jump, shoot, etc. - we have to grapple with this added layer atop the act of just shooting.

Deus Ex is one of those games that has these kinds of layers on pretty much everything. It's not enough to scope my weapon and line up a shot - I have to deal with the targeting reticule bobbing around constantly to make the act of aiming and shooting harder. It's very much akin to bloom - but it's philosophy applied to every action. So it's not a surprise to me that I can't stand the game mechanics.

senador

Banned
FyreWulff said:
This is because DMRs would be a pickup power weapon in AR start objective. Two, winning the weapons rush means the better team would still win in DMR start as well. If you win the initial rush and maintain the weapon resupply loop for all the weapons, if you lose at that point you're doing it wrong.

DMRs and BRs are much more interesting to me as a pickup weapon rather than a boring everyman spawn weapon. I already know how to use them - pretty well, in fact. I just find 100% DMR/BR start amazingly boring, hence why I don't really find playing Ranked or Arena experiences enjoyable either. The only DMR/BR start gametype that's fun is SWAT, but even then it's hard to get people to vote for objectives in that playlist.

At least there's one playlist in Reach AND Halo 3 with objective modes that's 99% AR starts. But it sure as hell isn't Team Objective.

WTF man? You idea works only for casuals or for those not very great at Halo. Sorry to be harsh but that is the truth. AR starts against a good team sucks. They'll take all the DMRs and Needle Rifles then your fucked. The pistol and AR just aren't enough to take control back against that. Sorry to get personal, but you are silly to think otherwise. I have a friend that feels the same as you and its for several reasons: 1. He jetpacks and hates DMRs taking him out as his number 1 strategy is death from above with the AR.. 2. He has a hard time locating DMR fire. 3. He's not good at shooting the DMR at medium to long distances.

You are right though, I love AR starts against guests and noobs. I pick up a DMR and ping away. But that's not fair to them and when the tables are turned I rage. Give me a DMR at spawn so we are all on even footing.

Aside from all that, the AR is not fun for me and others that prefer precision weapons to use. It sucks. Its not satisfying to hold down a trigger and aim in a general direction, even if bursting. Its much more satisfying and challenging to keep small reticule on someone and finish them with a headshot. That's why I play Halo.

LOL @ you Fyrewulff.

Edit: I should say that we are all stating opinions, but you (Fyrewulff) keep stating them as fact and making up stats and facts that are not true. Stop doing that. Share your opinion without the doomsday scenarios and made up shit, you'll get more respect.

stephen08

GhaleonEB said:
I don't understand how stephen08 doesn't get that the DMR's range damages combat. It's been explained quite clearly, both in terms of Reach's maps and how past Halo games would play were DMR's air-dropped into them. If everyone spawned with sniper rifles, that would change how the game plays. And more than doubling the BR's range and ammo capacity also changed how the game plays, and not for the better.

No, I understand the point. I just don't agree with it. If the choice is between what we have in Reach vs. Halo 2/3 I stand firmly on the Reach side of the room. You have to remember that people appreciate different things about the gameplay. While you were content with the combat in Halo 3 I and others were asking for a single shot, more precise weapon. I definitely am pleased with how things progressed.

Saying the game plays worse because of the changes is your opinion.

FyreWulff

senador said:
Edit: I should say that we are all stating opinions, but you (Fyrewulff) keep stating them as fact and making up stats and facts that are not true. Stop doing that. Share your opinion without the doomsday scenarios and made up shit, you'll get more respect.

Once again, you're the one stating my posts as fact - I'm not. They're all opinion. Have a nice day bro.

GhaleonEB

stephen08 said:
No, I understand the point. I just don't agree with it. If the choice is between what we have in Reach vs. Halo 2/3 I stand firmly on the Reach side of the room. You have to remember that people appreciate different things about the gameplay. While you were content with the combat in Halo 3 I and others were asking for a single shot, more precise weapon. I definitely am pleased with how things progressed.
You can have a single shot, more precise weapon without doubling the range.

I mean, if you put the DMR on Standoff, the game will play objectively worse. Whereas you could use the open silo areas off to the sides because of how the BR limited range, with the DMR they would become no mans lands; anyone down there would get eviscerated. Likewise, players atop a base could destroy guys walking out the front door of theirs. Infantry routes dry up, map movement comes to a halt, players turtle up, and you get what Devolution has been trying to describe to you. That would happen on every single BTB map in the course of the Halo series. It unquestionably reduces the importance of a number of key variables in the sandbox, reduces the number of combat situations, chokes off how dynamic the game plays.

This isn't even up for debate. It's like arguing that a game of snipers does not discourage players from using open spaces. Um, it sort of does. And likewise, the DMR chokes off what used to be perfectly usable play spaces, sight lines and tactics. Some things are a matter of opinion, but this really isn't. It's a simple cause-effect relationship. Longer range combat restricts how versatile a map plays, full stop. You may like that, which is fine. But the effects described are absolutely what has happened to Reach.

blamite said:
Every time I go back to Halo 3, I realize how much I miss the BR. Regardless of the range of either gun, the BR is just so much more fun to fire. The 3-shot burst is so satisfying, and 4 shot kills just make the game so much smoother and allow less time for the shenannigans that plague Reach's combat.

Honestly, I think I would like the DMR much more if it had 3 shot bursts, even if it still was a 5 burst kill.

I just really hope the Forward Unto Dawn is loaded with BRs and Choppers.

<Bro Hug>

I have a feeling the BR or something similar will be back next time around..

stephen08

GhaleonEB said:

I mean, if you put the DMR on Standoff, the game will play objectively worse. Whereas you could use the open silo areas off to the sides because of how the BR limited range, with the DMR they would become no mans lands; anyone down there would get eviscerated. Likewise, players atop a base could destroy guys walking out the front door of theirs. Infantry routes dry up, map movement comes to a halt, players turtle up, and you get what Devolution has been trying to describe to you. That would happen on every single BTB map in the course of the Halo series. It unquestionably reduces the importance of a number of key variables in the sandbox, reduces the number of combat situations, chokes off how dynamic the game plays.

This isn't even up for debate. It's like arguing that a game of snipers does not discourage players from using open spaces. Um, it sort of does. And likewise, the DMR chokes off what used to be perfectly usable play spaces, sight lines and tactics. Some things are a matter of opinion, but this really isn't. It's a simple cause-effect relationship. Longer range combat restricts how versatile a map plays, full stop. You may like that, which is fine. But the effects described are absolutely what has happened to Reach.

Maps like Standoff would have no place in Reach with DMR starts. You need maps specifically designed with everyone using the DMR in mind. I agree there but I disagree that the DMR is responsible for this BTB turtling. I think that's more attributable to the vehicles being so weak. Infantry got a lot stronger with DMR and the vehicles didn't scale to match.

Karl2177

The reason the DMR doesn't work in BTB settings is because it really wasn't a BR replacement. I've posted my revised weapon sandbox many times(I might edit it again, because I like Duncan's Focus Rifle+Laser idea). You need a weapon that can defend you off spawn, but it shouldn't be a one-tool-for-all-jobs weapon. The DMR functions like that in Reach. IMO the DMR should function as a semi-power weapon(like the Needler).

If only I could have my ideal Halo...

stephen08 said:
Maps like Standoff would have no place in Reach with DMR starts. You need maps specifically designed with everyone using the DMR in mind. I agree there but I disagree that the DMR is responsible for this BTB turtling. I think that's more attributable to the vehicles being so weak. Infantry got a lot stronger with DMR and the vehicles didn't scale to match.

Here's to Anniversary shipping with two serious BTB maps.

Havok

BackdoorBeauty said:
Here's to Anniversary shipping with two serious BTB maps.
Wow, BTB will have an entire single voting screen worth of maps that are playable. Holy shit.

What a low bar we've set.

GhaleonEB

stephen08 said:
I think you can look to how the gulch played in Halo 2 for reference. There are large swaths of territory that are off limits to infantry with the DMR that were not with the BR.

Havok said:
Wow, BTB will have an entire single voting screen worth of maps that are playable. Holy shit.

What a low bar we've set.
True. But hey, two new good BTB maps isn't something I'll complain about.

kylej

Banned
xxjuicesxx said:
KyleJ/Devo/Anyone else, get on dong party is starting up.

Football broseph. Football in the afternoon, dinner with my pops tonight. I'll be on around 7:30pm or so for some nighttime pooping.

Retro

BackdoorBeauty said:
I have a feeling the BR or something similar will be back next time around..

I know it will never happen in a billion years, but I would love to see something like the ODST silenced-and-scoped SMG step in as a new default starting weapon. It would fit between the Assault Rifle (fully auto high firerate mid-to-short range w/ no scope) and BR/DMR-hybrid (3-shot burst mid-to-long w/ 2x zoom) weapons.

It could be something like a 1.5x zoom automatic weapon with a 30-round magazine (DMR is 15, BR is 36, AR is 48), middle range, comfortably further than the AR but not at BR/DMR levels (or the actual ODST SMG, which had fairly decent range if I remember right). Somewhat spastic too if you hold down the trigger, so controlled bursts are a must, maybe the firing speed could be dialed back a bit too from AR levels.

The real draw as a starting weapon is it's utility throughout the match when power weapons are being scrambled for or fought over; zero muzzle flash or report, to allow people stuck with it to not give away their positions quite so clearly.

Or not.

Maybe as an alt-firing mode for another weapon. The Pistol in the Halo 4 trailer having that heavy burst shot seems to suggest they might be adding something along those lines.

Merguson

Banned
Louis Wu said:

I normally use the Xbox to watch videos frame-by-frame, it's better that way. However, I wasn't being serious about watching the video. (I did watch it anyways though, thanks for the link.)

I get the feeling that most hate against the bloom mechanic is that people want their Halo to be more simple. I don't like it very much but I think Reach has worst problems to address. A good chunk of those are not addressed in the Title Update and nothing to fix what used to be my most favorite playlist. I'll just wait for Halo 4 and see what is in store.

stephen08

GhaleonEB said:
I think you can look to how the gulch played in Halo 2 for reference. There are large swaths of territory that are off limits to infantry with the DMR that were not with the BR.
Right, because they weren't designed for the DMR. We are going around in circles. In any case, you are right that it cuts off infantry space effectively. To me it's not a big deal so long as the maps accommodate it. And I think they do with the exception of Hemorrhage. Spire and Boneyard both have potential they just need to be sectioned off appropriately. Breakpoint and Highlands are both great IMO.

Striker

Retro said:
I know it will never happen in a billion years, but I would love to see something like the ODST silenced-and-scoped SMG step in as a new default starting weapon. It would fit between the Assault Rifle (fully auto high firerate mid-to-short range w/ no scope) and BR/DMR-hybrid (3-shot burst mid-to-long w/ 2x zoom) weapons.
For larger, more open varied maps a rifle is necessary. But a weapon like you suggested wouldn't be bad for a Wateworks-esque map.

I still wouldn't mind a SMG that can be used as: in single wield, scoped and have the ability to dual wield, but can no longer scope. Of course it would be stronger in duals.

stephen08 said:
Right, because they weren't designed for the DMR.
Why make a Blood Gulch/Coag based map, then?

GhaleonEB

stephen08 said:
Right, because they weren't designed for the DMR. We are going around in circles. In any case, you are right that it cuts off infantry space effectively. To me it's not a big deal so long as the maps accommodate it. And I think they do with the exception of Hemorrhage. Spire and Boneyard both have potential they just need to be sectioned off appropriately. Breakpoint and Highlands are both great IMO.
There's not a BTB map in the game that works well with the DMR. The exact same problems as Hemorrhage are on display in all of them; Highlands in particular plays poorly because of it, for the same reasons. (And for that matter, the Campaign is equally damaged.)

senador said:
WTF man? You idea works only for casuals or for those not very great at Halo. Sorry to be harsh but that is the truth. AR starts against a good team sucks. They'll take all the DMRs and Needle Rifles then your fucked. The pistol and AR just aren't enough to take control back against that. Sorry to get personal, but you are silly to think otherwise. I have a friend that feels the same as you and its for several reasons: 1. He jetpacks and hates DMRs taking him out as his number 1 strategy is death from above with the AR.. 2. He has a hard time locating DMR fire. 3. He's not good at shooting the DMR at medium to long distances.

You are right though, I love AR starts against guests and noobs. I pick up a DMR and ping away. But that's not fair to them and when the tables are turned I rage. Give me a DMR at spawn so we are all on even footing.

Aside from all that, the AR is not fun for me and others that prefer precision weapons to use. It sucks. Its not satisfying to hold down a trigger and aim in a general direction, even if bursting. Its much more satisfying and challenging to keep small reticule on someone and finish them with a headshot. That's why I play Halo.

LOL @ you Fyrewulff.

Guess what happens on AR starts? People find and horde the long range precision weapons anyway. In most AR start games, except for like me sometimes, most of the people on top you'll see DMR or NR. The best way to make it even on spawn is to give them to everyone.

GhaleonEB said:

Thank you. And with limited avenues to the opposing base you get a lot of turtling.

kylej said:
Football broseph. Football in the afternoon, dinner with my pops tonight. I'll be on around 7:30pm or so for some nighttime pooping.

Yea put that shit on the TV and then play Halo. I'm WATCHING FOOTBALL too.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
HiredN00bs said:
Solution for BTB Hemorrhage post-TU: increase bloom.
Increased bloom would damage short to medium range combat.

Halo 3's bullet spread limited the range in which you could engage opponents, the further way a player was from you the harder it was to engage them. No tweaking to the DMR's bloom can match that particular effect.

Halo 3's bullet spread with Reach's/Halo 2's hitscan is probably the best solution for medium to long range combat.

It makes so much sense it will never happen.

Retro

Striker said:
For larger, more open varied maps a rifle is necessary. But a weapon like you suggested wouldn't be bad for a Wateworks-esque map.

Right, that's what I'm getting at; the DMR on a map that size (I was actually thinking of High Ground) would just dominate too much. On a larger map like Hemo/Valhalla, it would still be better than AR starts without being as powerful as DMR starts.

The stealth mechanic, for what it's worth, would allow it to be used on larger maps a little more safely... I don't want to see Halo shift too far towards stealth mechanics, but maybe the stealthy-SMG wouldn't give a direction indicator when damaged. Probably crossing into cheap territory there though.

Sai-kun

Banned
Not sure this is the correct topic to be posting in, but I just finished reading Halo: Cryptum last night. Wow. What an awesome book. I tried reading it a couple months ago but I just couldn't get into it for some reason, but once I got past a certain part, it really picked up and it was just awesomer and awesomer from there. Cannot wait for Primordium.

Minor spoiler from like chapter 10 or something:
Forerunners love hats. lmfao!

I had to take a break from Reach for a little bit. I played so badly on Friday that I threw in the towel. I hate that sinking feeling where you wonder if you really are as bad as you've played recently. It's so depressing. So for a little bit, I lost all motivation to turn on my xbox. I might play some today. This game is such a mutated monster. I can't handle not being able to defend myself against power weapons or repeatedly popping people's shields and never being able to finish them off, and not knowing if i'm doing poorly as a result of bloom or something esle. And as much as people like the team aspect of Reach, I hate how powerful a group of players teamed up are versus randoms and guests. A teamed-up group should play well, obviously, but the games that people keep posting should never happen, even with guests and randoms that play poorly.

blamite

Dani said:

Halo 3's bullet spread limited the range in which you could engage opponents, the further way a player was from you the harder it was to engage them. No tweaking to the DMR's bloom can match that particular effect.

Halo 3's bullet spread with Reach's/Halo 2's hitscan is probably the best solution for medium to long range combat.

I would love this gun sooo much.

I might be misunderstanding how Bloom works compared to Halo 3's spread, but couldn't the BR's behavior be matched by fixing the DMR's reticle at a radius that's the same as the BR's?

Tunavi

Banned
Deputy Moonman said:
I had to take a break from Reach for a little bit. I played so badly on Friday that I threw in the towel. I hate that sinking feeling where you wonder if you really are as bad as you've played recently. It's so depressing. So for a little bit, I lost all motivation to turn on my xbox. I might play some today. This game is such a mutated monster. I can't handle not being able to defend myself against power weapons or repeatedly popping people's shields and never being able to finish them off, and not knowing if i'm doing poorly as a result of bloom or something esle. And as much as people like the team aspect of Reach, I hate how powerful a group of players teamed up are versus randoms and guests. A teamed-up group should play well, obviously, but the games that people keep posting should never happen, even with guests and randoms that play poorly.
oh my god its a game, you act like you have given up on life lol

Havok

GhaleonEB said:
True. But hey, two new good BTB maps isn't something I'll complain about.
Oh, absolutely. I'm pretty thrilled we're getting any at all. I'm very concerned about them ever showing up though. Unless the general population adopts CEA pretty heavily, we'll end up with another Highlands situation.
Dani said:

This would be fine. Hell, even without a spread, a burst fire weapon limits range because strafing or moving the reticule splinters the shot. Halo 2's BR was effective at knocking snipers out of scope at range without being super powerful, since you lost any aim assist after a certain point, without losing the effectiveness of the rifle at close-and-mid-range. I don't hate Halo 3's BR or anything, but the spread combined with network issues made it feel inconsistent even inside its intended firing range.

Striker

The best thing they've done from Halo 3 to Reach is putting back in hitscan. But bloom, 3x, etc. have brought in other variables.

Even with vehicle health aside, BTB would be more enjoyable for most maps with the 2x DMR.

GhaleonEB

Havok said:
Oh, absolutely. I'm pretty thrilled we're getting any at all. I'm very concerned about them ever show up though. Unless the general population adopts CEA pretty heavily, we'll end up with another Highlands situation.
Yeah, I'm fully expecting that. We'll see the classic maps in the 'classic' playlist or two, and the DLC required regular Reach playlist. I'd love to be incorrect on this front, though.

Dani said:

When the DMR was first announced, this is precisely what I had imagined.

Top Bottom