• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Yay a bunch of solid good news. I had to catch up on reading posts and all that bloom debate earlier, talk about:

Abe-Simpson-walking-in-and-out-the-simpsons-7414427-320-240.gif

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Holy fuck YES. So excited. Zero bloom looks so gorgeous. Customs in a week, folks. Let's make it happen.

Nollemaster said:
Look guys, on this screenshot you can see the bridge that connected the two sections of Uplift Reserve! That makes me happy

image11-2.jpg
What's the deal? In the IGN video the sky's orange, in these stills it's blue. Are the map variants going to change the sky colour?

wwm0nkey

reggie said:
What is the point in remaking maps if you're not going to do it properly. Yes, they are minor changes, but Blackout also had minor changes and look how that turned out.
There will be a classic version that has things just as they were

Karl2177

reggie said:
What is the point in remaking maps if you're not going to do it properly. Yes, they are minor changes, but Blackout also had minor changes and look how that turned out.
Well, seeing as you aren't following things well: There are 2 versions of the map. Headlong as you know and love it, and a modified version to work better with Reach mechanics, named Breakneck.

Gui_PT

reggie said:
What is the point in remaking maps if they're not going to do it properly? Yes, they are minor changes, but Blackout also had minor changes and look how that turned out.

Reach is a different game. I'm sure the changes are there to accommodate the difference in gameplay

senador

Banned
Tunavi said:
For zero bloom and because of the scope ranges - Pistol starts > DMR starts

wwm0nkey said:
Yeah for Zero Bloom pistol needs to be the starter and DMR a pick up.

the destroyer of worlds should only get 1 placement on the maps.

Farooq said:
CE pistol or regular Reach pistol?

I was under the impression CE pistol gametypes likely won't include the DMR.

I think we'll see several modes:

85% Bloom Slayer
-Bloom reduced across the board?

Zero Bloom Slayer
-No Needle Rifle
-Zero bloom on DMR (they've said pistol will just have reduced bloom in this mode haven't they?)

CEA Slayer
-CEA like Pistol
-No DMR
-Classic Weapons

Edit: No way I want Pistol starts for Zero Bloom. I am sure that option will exist, but as soon as someone picks up a DMR with zero bloom that'd suck, just give it to us all on spawn. Its the same thing as AR vs DMR right now.

Tunavi

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
Its weird, in only 7 more days Halo: Reach gets the update.
thezerofire said:
I think after the TU we just need to run customs at all times until the beta playlists drop
If its a zero bloom gametype, I don't think I'll be in matchmaking until october 4th

Karl2177

thezerofire said:
I think after the TU we just need to run customs at all times until the beta playlists drop
Halo 3 customs this weekend, followed by TU Reach customs? I'm in heaven already.

Woorloog said:
Probably a version that just has changes for sake of changes... Look at Highlands. Made for Reach doesn't exactly play well.

BTW, i'd love Grenade Launcher in classic Headlong. All those corners and rooms...
Highlands is just a disaster zone for any game. It's just encouraging players to not go in the center of the map, by having everything on the outsides of it.

Woorloog

Banned
Karl2177 said:
Well, seeing as you aren't following things well: There are 2 versions of the map. Headlong as you know and love it, and a modified version to work better with Reach mechanics, named Breakneck.
Probably a version that just has changes for sake of changes... Look at Highlands. Made for Reach doesn't exactly play well.

BTW, i'd love Grenade Launcher in classic Headlong. All those corners and rooms...

ElRenoRaven

reggie said:
Can you blame me for not following everything? The update is a clusterfuck. Have 343 ever heard of a thing called consistency?

Seriously? Seriously? How is the update a clusterfuck? And how aren't they being consistent?

senador

Banned
Tunavi said:
If its a zero bloom gametype, I don't think I'll be in matchmaking until october 4th

Its not. lybertyboy said its one game type, and its 85% bloom.

Edit: Actually he said "to sample a variety of changes" or something like that. So its possible some weapons have 85% while others have 0%. Maybe?

*This is just speaking of the game type they will give us between TU and hoppers on 10/4.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Tunavi said:
I dunno, Zero Bloom is looking pretty awesome in that IGN video. As long as there's plenty of cover/compartmentalization, I imagine it would play out fine.

senador said:
Its not. lybertyboy said its one game type, and its 85% bloom.
Oh yeah. :-\

I agree with Woorloog, a mere 15% reduction doesn't seem like it's enough.

heckfu

Banned
reggie said:
Can you blame me for not following everything? The update is a clusterfuck. Have 343 ever heard of a thing called consistency?

I feel like I can. In this regard they've been super clear about map remakes and renewed ideas.

heckfu

Banned
reggie said:
Having different variations of bloom, maps, etc. in a bunch of different playlists is consistent?

You used the word variation instead of inconsistency. Argument invalidated. It's variety for a reason and the updates are pretty clearly marked for you to look up anytime you need.

senador

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
So when the beta Hoppers drop....who here is just going to vote for Zero Bloom Slayer?

Well, I still want to try 85% Bloom several times, but Zero Bloom looks like the good shit right now.

Farooq

Banned
senador said:

I think we'll see several modes:

85% Bloom Slayer
-Bloom reduced across the board?

Zero Bloom Slayer
-No Needle Rifle
-Zero bloom on DMR (they've said pistol will just have reduced bloom in this mode haven't they?)

CEA Slayer
-CEA like Pistol
-No DMR
-Classic Weapons

Edit: No way I want Pistol starts for Zero Bloom. I am sure that option will exist, but as soon as someone picks up a DMR with zero bloom that'd suck, just give it to us all on spawn. Its the same thing as AR vs DMR right now.

Yea. It would interesting however, to see how the sandbox would play if you included the CE pistol, bloomless DMR, and the buffed needle rifle.

The CE pistol would most definitely dominate the short-mid range battles. But in long range scenarios, I think the DMR would be more consistent given the fact you have more bullets in the magazine and are afforded a few more misses.

Having the needle rifle as a power weapon as Woorloog mentioned would also be interesting. It wouldn't be overpowered next to the CE pistol, however it wouldn't be useless either.

I would love to try out that sandbox in Customs just to see how a sandbox filled with useful precision weapons plays.

ElRenoRaven

reggie said:
Having different variations of bloom, maps, etc. in a bunch of different playlists is consistent?

Um they aren't. If you bothered to actually read up you'd see they're not going to have a bunch of different playlists with different bloom settings. The zero bloom will be downloadable for fans to try out and has been used to simply show what they can do with bloom.

Sounds to me that you don't bother to actually read shit and like to jump to conclusions.

senador

Banned
Farooq said:
Yea. It would interesting however, to see how the sandbox would play if you included the CE pistol, bloomless DMR, and the buffed needle rifle.

The CE pistol would most definitely dominate the short-mid range battles. But in long range scenarios, I think the DMR would be more consistent given the fact you have more bullets in the magazine and are afforded a few more misses.

Having the needle rifle as a power weapon as Woorloog mentioned would also be interesting. It wouldn't be overpowered next to the CE pistol, however it wouldn't be useless either.

I would love to try out that sandbox in Customs just to see how a sandbox filled with useful precision weapons plays.

That sounds...shitty. Too many things going on IMO and making it unnecessarily complex. Trying it wouldn't hurt though.

wwm0nkey

Anyone else starting to think Hang Em High might be a new Forge space or is that just me?

Also what events are coming up that they could reveal it at?

senador

Banned
thezerofire said:
the custom gametype isn't coming out on the 21st though, so we have a couple days

This is what was said:

lybertyboy said:
Also, now you guys know about the idea of mine that Frank posted about last week. We'll have that custom gametype ready to go in the HaloWaypoint fileshare shortly after the TU hits. Hopefully it'll help the wait till the beta hoppers hit pass swiftly.

I am thinking day of or next day. Though "shortly after" could be anything.

wwm0nkey said:
Anyone else starting to think Hang Em High might be a new Forge space or is that just me?

Also what events are coming up that they could reveal it at?

What if they scrapped it and did a different map?

Edit: We need like a summary post. It seems a lot of people are confused.

feel

wwm0nkey said:
So when the beta Hoppers drop....who here is just going to vote for Zero Bloom Slayer?
what the fuck do you mean?? Have you heard anything about that??

It's a lost case to rely on xbl
randoms to vote for something good!! :(

It needs it's own playlist! I want to boot Reach during the beta knowing I won't be touching that bloom filth. Different gametypes in a single playlist means miserable times.

senador said:
This is what was said:
I am thinking day of or next day. Though "shortly after" could be anything.
What if they scrapped it and did a different map?
In the Waypoint update all that was said was "not the 21st." So we get at least a day lol

Woorloog

Banned
What i want is zero bloom mode with Halo CE magnum AND DMR. AR/CEMagnum starts, no AAs, increased movement and gravity. DMR as pick up weapon.
Zero Bloom CE magnum gametype would be enough to make what i want in customs.

And Hang 'em High as Forge space sounds awful. More gray? No thanks. Any new Forge World should be set in New Alexandria or some other human place.

senador

Banned
Damn, DP instead of edit.

Woorloog said:
What i want is zero bloom mode with Halo CE magnum AND DMR. AR/CEMagnum starts, no AAs, increased movement and gravity. DMR as pick up weapon.
Zero Bloom CE magnum gametype would be enough to make what i want in customs.

It doesn't sound like you'll be getting that. Is this what others want to? I don't. CEA Pistol and DMR should not be together. They'd be at odds with each other and raise lots of ???s.

ElRenoRaven

Well I will take one thing back. They've said 85 percent bloom unless otherwise noted. So yes there could be a few zero bloom slayer choices. However it's all in 1 playlist. Yes just 1. So it's not confusing.

Figure eventually bloom will probably roll out to most playlists but after this beta hopper has had plenty of time to have the data collected. Which mind you is what a beta hopper is for. It's for them to collect info on different settings.

Woorloog

Banned
senador said:
Damn, DP instead of edit.

It doesn't sound like you'll be getting that. Is this what others want to? I don't. CEA Pistol and DMR should not be together. They'd be at odds with each other and raise lots of ???s.
For customs. Zero Bloom+CE magnum in same mode, lemme customize the rest.
I don't see how CE magnum and DMR are at odds. CE Magnum is powerful at short range but DMR has very long range, larger magazine and weaker damage. Different weapons with different roles.

senador

Banned
Letters said:
what the fuck do you mean?? Have you heard anything about that??

It's a lost case to rely on xbl
randoms to vote for something good!! :(

It needs it's own playlist! I want to boot Reach during the beta knowing I won't be touching that bloom filth. Different gametypes in a single playlist means miserable times.

The bolded worries me greatly. So many people aren't reading online and following this, and up until about now its been confusing for us that have been actively following it. My friends I've described the changes to are like "Wut".

I'm worried this will be passed up much like Team Objective, Arena, and Squad are.

Woorloog said:
For customs. Zero Bloom+CE magnum in same mode, lemme customize the rest.
I don't see how CE magnum and DMR are at odds. CE Magnum is powerful at short range but DMR has very long range, larger magazine and weaker damage. Different weapons with different roles.

CE Magnum will be 3 shot, while DMR will be 5. Why would anyone use the DMR?

VV Ah, gotcha. Sorry. Let's hope this is a case of lybertyboy having more details than bsangel. ;)

senador said:
That was only speaking of seeing the changes in matchmaking though wasn't it?
here's the full quote

Will 343 make a couple of custom gametypes featuring the TU changes available for download on the day the TU is released so we don't have to wait till October to try out the changes? - SketchyBR

Will we make a couple? No. Will we make one? Yes. Will it be available the day the TU is released? No. Will it be available shortly thereafter? Yes. Did I just ask four questions and answer them myself to illustrate a point?

senador said:
CE Magnum will be 3 shot, while DMR will be 5. Why would anyone use the DMR?
zero-bloom is not 3sk pistol I don't think

wwm0nkey

PsychoRaven said:
Well I will take one thing back. They've said 85 percent bloom unless otherwise noted. So yes there could be a few zero bloom slayer choices. However it's all in 1 playlist. Yes just 1. So it's not confusing.

Figure eventually bloom will probably roll out to most playlists but after this beta hopper has had plenty of time to have the data collected. Which mind you is what a beta hopper is for. It's for them to collect info on different settings.

Zero Bloom is confirmed for the beta hoppers

Top Bottom