• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

ElRenoRaven

wwm0nkey said:
Zero Bloom is confirmed for the beta hoppers

Like I said they said 85 unless otherwise noted. So yes I'm conceding that there will be some zero bloom. As I did mention though the changes are being confined to 1 beta hopper though so it's not like they'll be all over every playlist making it confusing for everyone.

ElRenoRaven

reggie said:
I've been looking for a clear answer, but looks like I don't need to, you proved yourself wrong. GG to you. Looks like you are the one who can't read.

Way to act like an asshole. I didn't prove myself wrong at all. I made a mistake and I admitted it. However my point still stands. What's so fucking hard to fucking understand about it being confined to 1 playlist? If you find a couple of bloom options being clearly stated in one playlist confusing then you shouldn't be playing fucking Halo. You act like it's goddamn brain surgery when it isn't.

Oh and if they weren't being clear about it I wouldn't have caught my mistake by reading what they fucking said. So again they've been perfectly clear about it. So again my point fucking stands.

thezerofire said:
zero-bloom is not 3sk pistol I don't think
you are correct, sir.

Waypoint Update said:
Oh, and if you were looking for your favorite three-shot weapon, the official Anniversary playlists, along with the classic Magnum from Halo: Combat Evolved, will be released alongside Halo: Anniversary on November 15th.

senador said:

I think we'll see several modes:

85% Bloom Slayer
-Bloom reduced across the board?

Zero Bloom Slayer
-No Needle Rifle
-Zero bloom on DMR (they've said pistol will just have reduced bloom in this mode haven't they?)

CEA Slayer
-CEA like Pistol
-No DMR
-Classic Weapons

Edit: No way I want Pistol starts for Zero Bloom. I am sure that option will exist, but as soon as someone picks up a DMR with zero bloom that'd suck, just give it to us all on spawn. Its the same thing as AR vs DMR right now.

The zero bloom pistol (not talking about the CE one) will be able to kill faster than the DMR at close to mid ranges (faster rate of fire). The DMR of course has advantages in larger magazine and 3x range/more accuracy, but the zero bloom Reach pistol should pack a serious punch for those that are able to aim well while shooting very quickly.

Tashi0106 said:
Ok fuck the TU, do we know when MLG v6 goes into matchmaking? Lol

gtfo.gif

<3

Oh, and Headlong looks like some major sex

ElRenoRaven

Steelyuhas said:
The zero bloom pistol (not talking about the CE one) will be able to kill faster than the DMR at close to mid ranges (faster rate of fire). The DMR of course has advantages in larger magazine and 3x range/more accuracy, but the zero bloom Reach pistol should pack a serious punch for those that are able to aim well while shooting very quickly.

http://chiahatesyou.com/pics/gtfo.gif[IMG]
<3

Oh, and Headlong looks like some major sex[/QUOTE]

LOL. Oh be nice. Let the guy love his MLG stuff. He's not hurting anyone. Hell that playlists lets them be happy. Imagine if MLG settings were spread out throught the regular playlists. *Shudders*

Woorloog

Banned
I really fear that 343i will leave customs support half-way. I'm sure whatever they make for MM are good for it (except i still doubt 85% bloom is enough) but people probably want a lot of different combinations for customs and further tweaking. 85% bloom CE magnum, 100% Bloom CE magnum, 50%/75%/25% bloom etc.
Don't let us down.

PsychoRaven said:
LOL. Oh be nice. Let the guy love his MLG stuff. He's not hurting anyone. Hell that playlists lets them be happy. Imagine if MLG settings were spread out throught the regular playlists. *Shudders*
Would've loved 110%damage and speed in regulard lists in Halo 3... Full MLG settings in regular lists? Hell no.

kylej

Banned
so is there a playlist exclusively filled with 0 bloom DMR-only starts? that's the only thing I give a shit about. 85% bloom might as well be 400% bloom.

ElRenoRaven

Woorloog said:
I really fear that 343i will leave customs support half-way. I'm sure whatever they make for MM are good for it (except i still doubt 85% bloom is enough) but people probably want a lot of different combinations for customs and further tweaking. 85% bloom CE magnum, 100% Bloom CE magnum, 50%/75%/25% bloom etc.
Don't let us down.

Well no matter what they do they're not going to make everyone happy. But considering it seems the UI limited them they're doing a good job with what they can. I'm sure if enough ask they'd release another gametype out there for people to download with the settings that they want.

thezerofire said:
I just assumed it's easier to skip school than skip work because of videogames
Oh I see why you said that then. It is definitely easier to skip school. Unfortunately for me, I only work, and I work all next week. FUUUUUU

inorite?!

SHOW ME HANG EM HIGH!

What a wonderful birthday present.

Havok

Can't say I'm in love with the strange flag placement in Red Base. Or that they were playing Multiflag on Headlong. Nobody did that before, because it wasn't good. Glad to see the Banshee is still in there, even capturing a boost+bomb in that B-roll. :/

Looks gorgeous, though.

Folks saying that there needs to be a beta 8v8 hopper: You really want to play shit like Lam Lam or Utopie? Better-playing games on shit maps are still shit. Leave BTB to us masochists until good maps get thrown in.

kylej

Banned
Havok said:
Can't say I'm in love with the strange flag placement in Red Base. Or that they were playing Multiflag on Headlong. Nobody did that before, because it wasn't good. Glad to see the Banshee is still in there, even capturing a boost+bomb in that B-roll. :/

Looks gorgeous, though.

Folks saying that there needs to be a beta 8v8 hopper: You really want to play shit like Lam Lam? Better-playing games on shit maps are still shit. Leave BTB to us masochists until good maps get thrown in.

People in charge of Halo playlists not understanding fun objective gametypes? Why I never!

-Yeti said:
Oh I see why you said that then. It is definitely easier to skip school. Unfortunately for me, I only work, and I work all next week. FUUUUUU
I have both, but school is going to be the one that'll take a hit if I'm not careful

PsychoRaven said:

I was kidding lol.

Looking forward to playing the beta hopper. Is the plan to run that for a while, and then introduce another beta hopper thats BTB or different settings?

No Anniversary gametypes until CEA comes out :/

ElRenoRaven

Steelyuhas said:
I was kidding lol.

Oh I know lol. I just had to joke around. When I start to get heated some goofiness is good for me. Like I said though imagine mlg being spread through out all the playlists. It's kind of a scary thought isn't it?

Steelyuhas said:
I was kidding lol.

Looking forward to playing the beta hopper. Is the plan to run that for a while, and then introduce another beta hopper thats BTB or different settings?

No Anniversary gametypes until CEA comes out :/
I hope they just let it run until CEA drops

senador said:
Its not, but CE Magnum is, which is separate from zero bloom pistol.
edit: you're right, I just skipped over the CE parts in his post. Carry on

Havok

kylej said:
People in charge of Halo playlists not understanding fun objective gametypes? Why I never!
The only thing keeping me going is that nothing could ever be as bad as Valhalla VIP.

-Yeti said:
I will definitely be taking a day or two off from work for video game releases this fall. The question is which games.

HaloGAF, I think I'm ready for a new Sophie avatar. Anyone wanna try to make one with a Halo theme? I'm talking about something like this:
SZvSf.jpg

Anyone good with photoshop could maybe, somehow, merge Sophie and the new concept art released by 343 for Halo 4. PM me your creations!

You may now go back to eagerly waiting for the TU.

Captain Blood said:
I will definitely be taking a day or two off from work for video game releases this fall. The question is which games.
I'm taking an entire week off for Skyrim and Halo CEA :lol

It really sucks that CEA comes out 4 days after Skyrim though.

Havok

PsychoRaven said:
Wait. They actually did VIP on Valhalla? Good god that's just awful. Thank god I stick to team slayer.
I try not to think about it, I still wake up in a cold sweat some nights, trying to find a plasma pistol to truck to the other base just to get killed. If repressed memories were actually a thing that existed, I'd have them of that gametype.

ElRenoRaven

Havok said:
I try not to think about it, I still wake up in a cold sweat some nights, trying to find a plasma pistol to truck to the other base just to get killed.

Wow. That sounds like pure hell. How could they ever ever do something like that to poor innocent people? Sounds like a perfect map and gametype for a quitters playlist though. hehe

Havok

PsychoRaven said:
Wow. That sounds like pure hell. How could they ever ever do something like that to poor innocent people? Sounds like a perfect map and gametype for a quitters playlist though. hehe
The same way that infinite sudden death in Halo 2 existed, or any variant of Heavies, or the instant arm assault that Halo 3 had and Reach used to have, or Splasers showing up in Team Snipers in Halo 3, or single Beam Rifle spawn on Colossus, or symmetric objective gametypes on Ghost Town. The series doesn't exactly have a sterling track record when it comes to silly decisions.

GhaleonEB

I predict MLG will adopt the zero bloom DMR in their first update post-TU. It will suit their play style and map sizes very well. I know the MLG and TJ folks here will joygasm for it, and they should.

Curious to see how popular the 3-shot Magnum becomes. Teams working together absolutely evicerate folks running around solo - it's an almost SWAT-like experience to be on the recieving end. Three guys fire at once, you die. I'm not a fan myself, but I expect a decent following among the hardcore for the 'classic' playlist.

CyReN

GhaleonEB said:
I predict MLG will adopt the zero bloom DMR in their first update post-TU. It will suit their play style and map sizes very well. I know the MLG and TJ folks here will joygasm for it, and they should.

Curious to see how popular the 3-shot Magnum becomes. Teams working together absolutely evicerate folks running around solo - it's an almost SWAT-like experience to be on the recieving end. Three guys fire at once, you die. I'm not a fan myself, but I expect a decent following among the hardcore for the 'classic' playlist.

Most MLG people dislike bloom a lot, but you won't see anything til the 12' season of it getting removed.

I'll be lanning and playing without bloom a lot once it hits though.

senador

Banned
GhaleonEB said:

I don't think I'll be a fan either but its cool they are doing it for those that want to play CE style. I think it'd be best for that one to have its own playlist.

Man there will be a ton of options after the TU and CEA. I hope it goes well.

Some of the debate last night kind of got to me, particular the part about "constructive" criticism. I'd like to defend the people, like myself, who like Reach less than previous Halos for a second in a way that some of them probably can't articulate, not to be crude/elitist but it just comes with the territory of going through design/art school for years now.

The design philosophy of Reach alludes me. I've never been told or linked a real answer as to why the fundamental core from previous games necessitated such big changes. I don't think it's unreasonable for people to expect consistency in a series, particularly with elements in Halo that work. In all design, there is always the constant question "WHY?", if you cannot justify an element with an answer, simply put it needs to go or change. As a great game design team, I don't think Bungie just throws stuff in for shits and giggles. So all the time I'm left wondering, what is the philosophy, what is the thought process that lead them to conclude the previous games got movement, jumping, shooting, strafing, etc wrong. And maybe that's the wrong thought process about it, but why not stick with tried and true, then add things that compliment it, instead of take a wrecking ball to it.

People tend to ask of us why don't you like Reach? I would think compared to previous iterations the answers are obvious. And it makes it a chore to explain just why AAs, restrictive movement, and even more aim assist instill displeasure. Especially in the context of the previous games. Reach would have probably garnered a better and more appreciative audience as a stand alone game. As it stands, many people who played through all previous versions are left wondering why Reach is at it is, and I don't think they've ever really got a definitive answer. (If there is please link me to it.) Mostly all I've seen is conjecture about Sage taking over or the other games being flukes. Which I mostly don't buy because a) there was a whole design team behind this and b) as mentioned earlier every design decision has to be justified.

On that note, if Frankie or Ellis will humor me, (and this was answered a little bit at some of the Halofest panels), what has been your design philosophy in reversing/altering many of the elements in Reach?

PNut

Banned
Wow, that's sooner than I expected for the TU! I'm one that can't wait for the no bloom option. Hopefully it'll speeds up kill times. Regular Slayer and Arena games last forever.

Havok said:
The same way that infinite sudden death in Halo 2 existed, or any variant of Heavies, or the instant arm assault that Halo 3 had and Reach used to have, or Splasers showing up in Team Snipers in Halo 3, or single Beam Rifle spawn on Colossus, or symmetric objective gametypes on Ghost Town. The series doesn't exactly have a sterling track record when it comes to silly decisions.

Infinite sudden death + super bouncing on Zanzibar.

simpsons-seizure_o_GIFSoupcom.gif

Falagard

Devolution said:
On that note, if Frankie or Ellis will humor me, (and this was answered a little bit at some of the Halofest panels), what has been your design philosophy in reversing/altering many of the elements in Reach?

You've probably read this, but many of the reasons why the changes are being made in the TU are outlined in this Halo Bulletin:

http://halo.xbox.com/en-us/news/headline/the-halo-bulletin-83111-/211200

...Ultimately, bloom and cadence (among other features) were specifically designed to give Reach a slower pace than previous titles. However, a couple of notable features have arisen from this decision: for starters, cadence is easily interrupted in Reach. In fact, many of the Armor Abilities are almost explicitly designed to do that and waiting for that fifth DMR shot to be ready can be really frustrating when you lose the race against your opponent’s Armor Lock energy recovery. Second, shooting to cadence is really only a valid tactic at range; the closer you get to your opponent, the less cadence applies, and players both casual and competitive can attest to how spamming the trigger actually becomes the more reliable option here. So, ultimately while the goal was to make the weapons feel more sophisticated and add a layer of skill required to use them, the net result has been that medium range weapons such as the DMR feel unreliable at their intended range, and trigger spam has not been discouraged....

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hopping on for a few games. Come complain about bloom with me.

And lol @ all the Simpsons gifs. It's like an unofficial HaloGAF meme. Love it.

Havok

Devolution said:
Infinite sudden death + super bouncing on Zanzibar.

http://dc348.4shared.com/img/iF4NAePa/simpsons-seizure_o_GIFSoupcom.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
It was worse on Burial Mounds and Headlong. Probably the most unfortunate glitch in the game.

Falagard said:
You've probably read this, but many of the reasons why the changes are being made in the TU are outlined in this Halo Bulletin:

http://halo.xbox.com/en-us/news/headline/the-halo-bulletin-83111-/211200

Yeah I've read that, which totally made me happy the first I read it and thought, "awesome someone gets it, is a designer on Reach and can articulate what I can't about why it's such an inconsistent mechanic." It would be wonderful to hear more detailed breakdowns like that one though. Not just how something is changing, but why it needs to, and how it has been detrimental at its current state.

Havok said:
It was worse on Burial Mounds and Headlong. Probably the most unfortunate glitch in the game.

Get on top of map with bomb. Force people to quit game. Ultimate troll.

Devolution said:
The design philosophy of Reach alludes me. I've never been told or linked a real answer as to why the fundamental core from previous games necessitated such big changes. I don't think it's unreasonable for people to expect consistency in a series, particularly with elements in Halo that work. In all design, there is always the constant question "WHY?", if you cannot justify an element with an answer, simply put it needs to go or change.

I think the answer to this question comes from a boardroom with "Call of Duty" written on the whiteboard.

eeblogue

Neo Member
85% bloom will just make it so that the fastest rate of firing (spamming) will be the optimal ROF in more situations and over a greater distance.

Farooq

Banned
Captain Blood said:
I think the answer to this question comes from a boardroom with "Call of Duty" written on the whiteboard.

LOL.

I think there may truth to this. Call of Duty is a very successful franchise and success gives you attention. However, Bungie trying incorporate elements CoD into Reach left the core of Halo less refined.

Reach seems to be a mesh of different games and design philosophies while still trying to be Halo. But, trying to incorporate all of the new elements that are in Reach didn't work. The core MP doesn't seem as cohesive as the previous Halo multiplayers.

GhaleonEB said:

The 120 speed for Anniversary gametypes make it significantly harder to shoot people, but yeah the CE Mag will still wreck worlds. It's where I play to speed the most time once CEA hits (because of the Magnum, no AA's, and the maps), but we'll see what happens. I am also very curious how the matchmaking populations will break down once we have default Reach, some hybrid stuff, zero bloom, Anniversary gametypes, etc.

Top Bottom