• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Havok

Gabotron ES said:
It appears a lot in BTB and people always vote for it.
People vote for it so they can play Slayer for 12 minutes. It's not some great mystery, the population in that playlist is just more braindead than anywhere else.

FyreWulff

The Real Napsta said:
What's the story on the ticker?

The Gears of War ticker avatar prop :

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Ticker-Pet/00001000-f851-f2f3-ccf4-fc484d5308ab

The original animation was it scurrying around like it does in the game, jumps at the avatar, then it started to shake like it was about to detonate and the avatar recoiled and did scared face and then vanishes it away.

The new animation is it just swiping at the avatar and moving like.. 2 times.

Quite a few people were angry that MS changed the animation after they bought it.

Here's the original animation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6lN-5wMuLE

GhaleonEB

Gui_PT said:
No one was on Reach. Sad face.
I haven't been on in a week, and probably won't be until the beta hopper hits. I'm going to take a break from Deus Ex this weekend to romp the weekly Challenge, but I've decided to do it solo. I want to see how much of the Campaign I can Flawless Cowboy on Heroic. Probably 5/9 missions.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Has anyone ever had the following networking issue:

Tuesday Night - Played Halo Reach online with 5 other friends no issues.

Wednesday Night - Tired to play Halo Reach online with 4 (of the 5) friend online. Whenever I was in their party, matchmaking was not able to search. After 30 - 60 seconds, an error box popped up saying: "Matchmaking has encountered a networking issue." kicking us to the lobby screen.

I was able to join games solo. Absolutely nothing changed from Tuesday night to Wednesday night.

Anybody have any guesses what is going on? I tried re-setting my Fios router with no luck. I'm not sure what else could have happened.

FyreWulff

LunaticPuma said:
Has anyone ever had the following networking issue:

Tuesday Night - Played Halo Reach online with 5 other friends no issues.

Wednesday Night - Tired to play Halo Reach online with 4 (of the 5) friend online. Whenever I was in their party, matchmaking was not able to search. After 30 - 60 seconds, an error box popped up saying: "Matchmaking has encountered a networking issue." kicking us to the lobby screen.

I was able to join games solo. Absolutely nothing changed from Tuesday night to Wednesday night.

Anybody have any guesses what is going on? I tried re-setting my Fios router with no luck. I'm not sure what else could have happened.

Somebody in that party had a incompatible NAT. Wasn't your issue. Especially if it worked fine when you searched solo.

I remember in Halo 2 and sometimes in Halo 3, there were certain people that couldn't play with each other (it would never find games) but if they joined the lobby of a person that acted as a known 'bridge' between them, it'd get games.

So whoever the missing 5th person was may have been acting as the cross-compatible host for your seeking party, and with that person gone, whoever the seeking party host was, had NAT issues with all possible candidate games.

Next time this happens, try making a new party (with a different leader) and it usually fixes it.

Kibbles

I don't get it, what are the codes for if Cortana is available to everyone? I'm so confuzzled.

[edit] Nvm it is for Cortana, didn't realize it was a paid item.

Gui_PT

GhaleonEB said:
I haven't been on in a week, and probably won't be until the beta hopper hits. I'm going to take a break from Deus Ex this weekend to romp the weekly Challenge, but I've decided to do it solo. I want to see how much of the Campaign I can Flawless Cowboy on Heroic. Probably 5/9 missions.

I take it you're still enjoying the game despite the problems?

Edit: I didn't remove anyone, Hyper

Gui_PT said:
You just described my love/hate relationship with Reach. It's a great game but there are lots of things wrong with it, some of them are easy fixes and others are being addressed with the TU.
I'm looking fordward to see what 343 manages to do with the playlists, right now I'm really concerned about:
-Ginormous amounts of playlists after the TU drops. We already have like four 4-5 players slayer only playlists without counting Team Objective.
-DLC, Reach's DLC policy is a joke, I have to be locked into two playlist (which I might not like) to play the maps I spent my money on? What will happen when Anniversary is released. Another example:
BTB with all DLC requirements offers well suited BTB maps like Highlands, Breakpoint, Headlong, Timberland and even Tempest with some forge tweaks.
Current BTB is an all grey land with the ocassional One Bomb on Spire... eww

Best FPS ever... sure :/

GhaleonEB

Gui_PT said:
Yes. The game world is very well designed and lets me do a lot of interesting things, for the most part the way I want to do them. The mechanics through which I have to work the game are the problem. I have a longer post brewing for the official thread about that schism.

Shorter Ghaleon: letting me stuff a ventilation duct with a half dozen bodies I've stalked and taken down one at a time is awesome. Having to buy upgrades so my weapon reticule won't bob around when I aim? Not a good design decision.

heckfu

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Yes. The game world is very well designed and lets me do a lot of interesting things, for the most part the way I want to do them. The mechanics through which I have to work the game are the problem. I have a longer post brewing for the official thread about that schism.

Shorter Ghaleon: letting me stuff a ventilation duct with a half dozen bodies I've stalked and taken down one at a time is awesome. Having to buy upgrades so my weapon reticule won't bob around when I aim? Not a good design decision.

Blerg. I completely gave up on Deus Ex. Great idea, but poor execution. I don't play games for 'boss fights' scattered throughout because I don't play SNES anymore. A final boss? Touchdown, call it a day, oops pow surprise.

The game wore me down WAY too quick and my patience after working in a pharmacy all day is worn incredibly thin for shit mechanics. That's why I play reach?

damnit.

GhaleonEB

Letters said:
I wonder if you will be mentioning all the shortcomings and stupidity in design in each Skyrim post too. xD
I'm quite forgiving of clunky game mechanics so long as I'm still able to do things I like doing. Oblivion and especially Fallout 3 were quite inelegant at the detailed, moment to moment level (combat, aiming, animation), but the macro level tasks were amazing (exploration, looting, etc.). It's basically that same thing in Deus Ex, but they deliberately cripple player capabilities and they dangle out paths to remove some of it down the road.

I'm enjoying Deus Ex a great deal, and would recommend it strongly. Just with the caveat that it's an amazingly designed game world, which we access through some often hilariously inept game mechanics.

(That's a yes, BTW.)

Heckfu: The boss fight was like getting kicked in the balls, repeatedly. Just such an archaic concept and execution.

Gui_PT

GhaleonEB said:

Sounds interesting. Might have to get my hands on a copy.

And bromangos, the hell are you talking about? I just assumed he had removed me *shrugs*

heckfu said:
Blerg. I completely gave up on Deus Ex. Great idea, but poor execution. I don't play games for 'boss fights' scattered throughout because I don't play SNES anymore. A final boss? Touchdown, call it a day, oops pow surprise.

The game wore me down WAY too quick and my patience after working in a pharmacy all day is worn incredibly thin for shit mechanics. That's why I play reach?

damnit.
You don't play the game for boss fights. The boss fights are part of the game nothing more. But they aren't great designed.
One boss stucked in the wall and I could kill him easily. And I was luckily for this bug/glitch.
I can live with Iron Sight. But if I use Iron Sight to aim, I have to disable the Iron Sight first until I can sprint. that sucks. especially in a hectic fight like a boss. Adam moves awful, too.

But the story is awesome. Interesting. I love it. It's like I'm playing Blade Runner. And the
special conversations are much better than Mass Effect

Gui_PT said:
Sounds interesting. Might have to get my hands on a copy.

And bromangos, the hell are you talking about? I just assumed he had removed me *shrugs*
I didn't remove no one. The only bad thing I do sometimes is to mute someone. Maybe it was drunk hyper but I don't remember to remove you.

The big problem with the boss fights I found were that the characters you were fighting might as well have been faceless generic characters. They had no development at all and are forced on you. At least within the original, there is only ONE mandatory fight with a character you've come to know, and even that has a non-combat workaround.

Anyways I don't think they tarnish the overall package, especially since you can just drop frag mines on their feet over and over and they're helpless to it. I think calling the mechanics shit is a bit extreme given how few games out there actually try to take this sort of design approach instead of giving you a shooting gallery down a hallway.

senador

Banned
Booshka said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-cXmr0K8K4

These kind of rage videos always crack me up, but this one is pretty special. Toward the end he walks away but you can still hear him raging in the background.

Warning Offensive Language.

Hahaha! It was funny, but it seems he was mad for no reason. He was mad at himself but not taking credit. Unless I missed something the only problem I saw was no teamwork, but that was his fault for playing alone and for running off by himself continually. The end was awesome he flat out missed!

Edit: Had to watch the end a few times. Special indeed. LOL

Tunavi

Banned
I've been watching Gears of War videos and the maps just look absolutely incredible.
Then hop on Reach and I see uncaged.
7eB9j.jpg

Tunavi said:
I've been watching Gears of War videos and the maps just look absolutely incredible.
7eB9j.jpg
Uncaged? I'm trying to ignore the existence of this map.

there is something in the past. you have to find it

squidhands said:
Slightly Halo related; I head over to this coffee shop to get some breakfast this morning. Keep in mind that I live in Texas, though Austin is usually devoid of these types of encounters.

Anyway, I'm wearing Letters' fine HaloGAF shirt with the BELI343 on the back, and as I'm leaving said coffee shop, a woman stops me and kindly asks me what church my shirt is from. Let me re-iterate: she asks me, based on the BELI343 on the back, what fucking church it's from. Shit like this is why I'm often ashamed to admit I'm from Texas.

So, about 10 different sarcastic things fly into my head as a response (one of them proclaiming a certain bald non-Irishman as the Son of God), but being a relatively nice guy, I decide that, in the spirit of Jeebus, honesty is the best policy. My response is similar to the following:

"No, it's from an internet videogame forum where a large group of us talk about a game called Halo (her expression at this word was priceless, but I decided not to further shit in her cereal). The BELI343 comes from an in-joke about putting our faith in the game's quality with a different company that will be handling it from now on."

And this woman, a total stranger to me, says, "Well, I think it's very un-Christian to place your faith in anything other than The Lord."

So all of HaloGAF is going to hell, just wanted to let you know.

Things aren't looking good for Nathan Fillion. Spiritually, that is.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Tunavi said:
MXGPZ/W6QWJ/62JXV/3MWDJ/WJ3MJ
ReverseOrder.jpg

So increase the weighting for Uncaged. Got it.

Homeboyd

Barrow Roll said:
In all seriousness, I'm pretty disappointed that Uncaged is in the Beta Hoppers at all. Just let that map die, it deserves to be forgotten.
People LOVE that map. Go into SWAT.. I dare you.. there is literally >100% chance that 7/8 votes will be for Uncaged. I... I just don't get it.

Top Bottom