• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

TheOddOne

Dani said:
tumblr_lml1lfi1Sp1qlocsto1_500.gif

Sai-kun

Banned
heckfu said:
Nice, Dani!
Also, met Awesome Barlow yesterday which brings my GAF encounters to 1 for 3.

Sai bailed at Lollapalooza and Hitmonchan bailed this weekend in Gainesville. I see where my true friends are.

mjtTA.gif

Don't. Even.

Tunavi said:
Met Squidhands today at ACL. He looked good in his HaloGAF shirt! Best of luck to him on his surgery tomorrow.
What is he going in for? (If you/he doesn't mind me asking).

Either way good luck man!

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
A27 Tawpgun said:
Since Dani owns ForwardUntoDawn, 343 is using the website as a launch platform for the halo 4 ARG, which as we all know, deals with Cheif riding the FUD into the planet.

#dreamingbig

No. That's just silly. Not going to happen. And a horrible idea for an ARG. =p

GhaleonEB

omg.kittens said:
Keep'em coming. They're fun to read. :)
Thanks. I figure it's a fun way to romp through the weekly. :)

Winter Contingency | Success | 15 Minutes

ONI | Success | 29 Minutes

Nightfall | Success | 32 Minutes

Tip of the Spear | Success | 24 Minutes

Long Night of Solace | Success | 35 Minutes

Exodus | Fail | 37 Minutes

New Alexandria | Success | 30 Minutes

After a handful of missions filled with homages to Halo games past, New Alexandra is a breath of fresh air. There's not a level like it in the series; it feels a bit like ODST's hub world, set in the sky. The story stalls out entirely at this point - still knocking out communications jammers, really? - but the city itself tells a much richer story. Covenant and UNSC patrols, crumbling buildings, Covenant cruisers closing in, it's a city on the eve of its fall. It tells a better story about how Reach is faring in the overall battle than any narrative moment.

I wish the Falcon had a secondary fire I could control, and that the Club Errera and Reflection dash throughs were not so brief. The hospital shootout is superb. Still, a moody, free flowing mission that leaves a somber mood after it's through. It blows my mind that it was basically made by two people.

feel

Holy shit. It is.

HOLY SHIT

no idea, all I see is chief staring at the planet's bright light succion entrance in the previous one, and a weird face on the last one

Retro

Barrow Roll said:
Looks like someone censored Dr. Manhattan's dangly parts.

Actually, it's a scene from the Watchmen movie where Manhattan is on Mars building his giant fucking thing, alluding to the capabilities of not FORward Unto Dawn but FORgeworld 2: terrain editing.

No clue, just tossing shit out at this point.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Wow.

For a basic outline this is pretty good.

Heh, thanks. I've been hoping for a Cortana-as-villain twist for a while now (especially considering Marathon was pretty much entirely the result of Rampant AI too) and I like the idea of an entire ancient advanced planet trying to kill you.

Tawpgun

Retro said:
Actually, it's a scene from the Watchmen movie where Manhattan is on Mars building his giant fucking thing, alluding to the capabilities of not FORward Unto Dawn but FORgeworld 2: terrain editing.

No clue, just tossing shit out at this point.

Heh, thanks. I've been hoping for a Cortana-as-villain twist for a while now (especially considering Marathon was pretty much entirely the result of Rampant AI too) and I like the idea of an entire ancient advanced planet trying to kill you.
Forerunner Planet is Mars in the Future confirmed.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Dani just pm'd me the reveal and I just have to tell everyone. Sorry Dani.

FUD is now leaving Halo Universe coverage and focusing exclusively on the MLG Pro Circuit. It will have scoops on team changes, interviews with the Pros and many more. Congrats Dani, I'm so excited.

*Enters thread and sees all of the hype, suspicion, and curiosity surrounding Dani's cryptic posts*

*Leaves thread quietly without any understanding of the situation whatsoever*

God it would be great if the TU could fix host selection. Literally played a game in which the other team was just lagging out of the way of stuff but killing my team with no issues what so ever.

Havok

Devolution said:
God it would be great if the TU could fix host selection. Literally played a game in which the other team was just lagging out of the way of stuff but killing my team with no issues what so ever.
Honestly, I'm surprised that some of the small (at least on the surface) technical issues weren't addressed. Things like getting host selection right the first time instead of switching immediately after the game starts, armor ability loss after host migration, the incredible save bug where Forge will just decide to replace the contents of your map with another's while keeping the name or just not save at all, and then of course the various bugs with Covenant vehicles whether it be the Revenant glitch or randomly flying into the air on Forge maps should merit at least some attention.

A27 Tawpgun said:
I want.

But at the same time it would be cool to see no UNSC. At least for the first game. Keep that sense of mystery and exploration of a new environment intact.

But then again, they could 2-disc it and give us a meatier campaign.

plz?
Even if you think that there are no humans in the art trailer(I know you don't), we saw already an artwork of the UNSC Infinity at HaloFest and the new Warthog.

Halo 4 will play a few years after Halo 3. Frankie mentioned it at the end of the lore and fiction video at Gametrailers. 343i heavily said, that the last fiction will have something to do with the later Halo-universe.(I know, that I'm using the wrong phrasing) So I think that Halo 4 will begin around 2559. Especially I wanted to see if we find out more about the Forerunner structures in the Halo comics "Helljumper" and "Bloodline".

I imagine an awful ending for Glasslands. In the last page the Captain of the UNSC Infinity gets the information, that they found him. No mention if it's the Chief etc. After playing through Gears Of War 3, I'm more hyped for Glasslands than I was before. Mrs. Traviss really gave Gears a good story.

PNut

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
And then there's my death. I got to the very end, the Beachhead area, and was taking pains to sneak around the far left side to the first AA gun without ever being seen by the Wraiths or even other enemies. I pull it off. And as I'm hitting the button for the AA missiles, I get nailed by a Wraith mortar by one perched on the far side of the map, by the second AA gun. It didn't see me, I was never in its line of sight, it's just cheap physic AI, the likes of which Halo is known for not featuring. Just unfair bullshit; the AI in Reach remains utterly disappointing.

Oh my... the psychic Wraiths. I hate em' too. This same thing happened to me a few times during Mythic runs on Exodus. Still haven't made it yet.

feel

Stumbled into a way of getting 3 free months of Prime added to current account, really nice to have in these last months of the year (free 2 day shipping for any item and also free release date delivery for games) wanted to share the info with you guys, so quote this post to reveal how, don't want to help spread it too much, so please don't repost it somewhere else if possible.

Sai-kun

Banned
Letters said:
Stumbled into a way of getting 3 free months of Prime added to current account, really nice to have in these last months of the year (free 2 day shipping for any item and also free release date delivery for games) wanted to share the info with you guys, so quote this post to reveal how, don't want to help spread it too much, so please don't repost it somewhere else if possible.

ZDCqj.jpg

GhaleonEB

Winter Contingency | Success | 15 Minutes

ONI | Success | 29 Minutes

Nightfall | Success | 32 Minutes

Tip of the Spear | Success | 24 Minutes

Long Night of Solace | Success | 35 Minutes

Exodus | Fail | 37 Minutes

New Alexandria | Success | 30 Minutes

The Package | Fail | 32 Minutes

The Pillar of Autumn | Fail | 37 Minutes

Weekly complete, 6/9 Flawless Cowboy. I freaking hate the Pillar of Autumn. That is all.

Took 4 hours and 31 minutes, all told. I wasn't rushing, but rather being methodical. Well, except for that last level.

senador

Banned
Letters said:

Thanks yo. I've been holding off on buying Cryptum because I'd have to pay $3.99 shipping or make my order more than $25 but wasn't ready to do that since I have some credit and want to hold it.. I feel kind of bad though. :/

Off-topic: Can someone Google "Defiant Map Pack" and see if my review is on the front page of the results?

I'm looking at the top search queries for The Alligator, and "halo reach dlc" and "defiant map pack" are in the top 10. :lol

senador said:
Yup 6th down. Nice work.
LMAO. The newsroom is going to love this.

Search engine optimization ftw.

senador

Banned
Letters said:
Don't worry too much about it, in the end they still succeed in their actual goal of getting more business from you.

That is super true. I was about to place the order on another site after being sick of not deciding. Good point. ;)

So Cryptum will be here Wednesday and I placed my CEA order again to save $1 on release day delivery. Letters = <3

Hitmonchan107 said:
Off-topic: Can someone Google "Defiant Map Pack" and see if my review is on the front page of the results?

I'm looking at the top search results for The Alligator, and "halo reach dlc" and "defiant map pack" are in the top 10. :lol

Yup 6th down. Nice work.

FyreWulff

Havok said:
Honestly, I'm surprised that some of the small (at least on the surface) technical issues weren't addressed. Things like getting host selection right the first time instead of switching immediately after the game starts, armor ability loss after host migration, the incredible save bug where Forge will just decide to replace the contents of your map with another's while keeping the name or just not save at all, and then of course the various bugs with Covenant vehicles whether it be the Revenant glitch or randomly flying into the air on Forge maps should merit at least some attention.

Changing non-glitched weapon characteristics outside of the original developer's intent was more important than useful stuff like bug fixing. Priorities, man. Priorities.

Tunavi said:
cannot wait for classic++. 2 DAYS

There better be some rad Custom games going on that day. Even though Gears 3 will have been out for barely a day, I would still love to play some Customs with you guys!

Top Bottom