• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

ElRenoRaven

senador said:
I don't see that point of view at all. He sold his retail version, not the preview. If it was the other way around, sure maybe, but there is nothing wrong with selling your retail games. So, unethical? I say no. Can preview people whine? Not really.

Gimme dat update! :p

I'm not saying I agree but I can see Frankie's point of view and why he thinks that way. If it hadn't been advertised that Reach was being given away to half then you have to ask yourself would he have signed up for the dashboard beta test. So upon asking myself that question I can see Frankie's point of view despite me not agreeing with it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
PsychoRaven said:
I'm not saying I agree but I can see Frankie's point of view and why he thinks that way. If it hadn't been advertised that Reach was being given away to half then you have to ask yourself would he have signed up for the dashboard beta test. So upon asking myself that question I can see Frankie's point of view despite me not agreeing with it.

I am only saying its gray. Not wrong. I punched an orphan this morning.

ElRenoRaven

OuterWorldVoice said:
I am only saying its gray. Not wrong. I punched an orphan this morning.

LOL. Yea I think we're getting way too deep on this. And only an one orphan? Come on we know it was more then 1. Be honest.

Nollemaster said:
I was just beating Tha Robbertster in game of zero bloom slayer when his xbox froze.

Rage quit?

20110128203738!Trollface.png
Camo much?

kylej

Banned
lol at blaming the consumer and claiming "grey" areas. Take responsibility as the dev in charge of the title update. It should work for every type of Reach imaginable. This shit is embarrassing. If Ramirez and everyone else with preview discs sold their original copy for crack rocks it wouldn't make a difference. After months and months of waiting for this thing, it should work no questions asked. You say grey area, I say excuses.

wwm0nkey

reggie said:
Wouldn't it be an easy fix to just give those with the preview disk a free copy of the GoD version? Problem solved.
I guess that makes sense, we got it for free anyways so might as well just give a GoD code or something.

Or we could wait till 343 fixes it, though if it can't be fixed giving preview owners a GoD copy would be nice.

ElRenoRaven

wwm0nkey said:
I guess that makes sense, we got it for free anyways so might as well just give a GoD code or something.

Or we could wait till 343 fixes it, though if it can't be fixed giving preview owners a GoD copy would be nice.

Is the Games on Demand version working yet either though? I remember several with it yesterday saying it wouldn't update either? At the same time what about those who may have the preview only and not enough space on their hdd for the Games on Demand version?

MrDaravon

reggie said:
Wouldn't it be an easy fix to just give those with the preview disk a free copy of the GoD version? Problem solved.

That's actually not a terrible idea, although I imagine that would be some sort of last-resort type situation where the time/money it is going to cost to fix the TU for preview discs outweighs the costs of bandwidth and tracking down and getting codes to people who had the preview disc. IIRC you had to indicate your gamertag when you signed up for the beta, so I guess they could either direct message or email the codes. I think it's far more likely they'll get this fixed pretty shortly, but I am honestly worried about possible future updates now.

feel

I adore ZBTS Classic. Thanks for making it the gametype for that one last game guys. Even with uneven team numbers, the gameplay just felt so great to me, reminiscent of Halo 2 and 3. So satisfying to have fast gameplay without nuke grenades.

Can't enjoy Sprint stuff now, feels so restricting. I want to shoot at all times and move fast in all directions.

edit-

v I wish you had stayed for that last ZBTS Classic match on Countdown.

ElRenoRaven

SailorDaravon said:
That's actually not a terrible idea, although I imagine that would be some sort of last-resort type situation where the time/money it is going to cost to fix the TU for preview discs outweighs the costs of bandwidth and tracking down and getting codes to people who had the preview disc. IIRC you had to indicate your gamertag when you signed up for the beta, so I guess they could either direct message or email the codes. I think it's far more likely they'll get this fixed pretty shortly, but I am honestly worried about possible future updates now.

I wouldn't because you can damn well bet that after this it will be a hell of a lot more thoroughly tested before deployment to make sure this don't happen again.

MrBig

Just got home, and I believe I'm seeing that I am not going to play reach unless I am forced to buy a new one? Unacceptable.

feel

MrBig said:
Just got home, and I believe I'm seeing that I am not going to play reach unless I am forced to buy a new one? Unacceptable.
Not saying that it is acceptable but if you're playing with a preview disc, wouldn't your next purchase of Reach be the first one?

edit- if this problem turns out to be unresolvable I'll buy a few copies of Reach for halogaffers with preview discs

MrBig

Dani said:
Or wait? No one is forcing you to buy anything.
If I want to play the game that I payed for, I have to buy it twice. That is unacceptable.

Letters said:
Not saying that it is acceptable but if you're playing with a preview disc, wouldn't your next purchase of Reach be the first one?
I waited in line and bought Reach at midnight, just like I did for H2 and H3. Don't pull that shit. I gave mine away as a gift and kept the version that was least appealing. I didn't expect to be chastised for it.

Reading more, it seems like there may be a possible patch but this is still not an acceptable chance.

GhaleonEB

I'm guessing that the reason there is a gap between the deployment of the TU and the Beta playlist was in part to allow time to work throught the kinds of issues we're seeing now. They can't be forseen, but building in such a buffer to work through them is always prudent.

It certainly could have gone a bit smoother, but 343 is clearly working the issue, Frankie is right here talking about the fact that they're aware of the problem and working it, and the Beta playlist is still a little ways off (I'm aware matchmaking is also borked for those affected). It sucks for those affected but in a week I'm sure this will be thought of as a bump in the road. Remember the angst over the Crackdown tethering to the Halo 3 Beta? That blew over in a couple days, and that affected a whole lot more folks than this one.

MrBig said:
If I want to play the game that I payed for, I have to buy it twice. That is unacceptable.

I waited in line and bought Reach at midnight, just like I did for H2 and H3. Don't pull that shit. I gave mine away as a gift and kept the version that was least appealing. I didn't expect to be chastised for it.

Reading more, it seems like there may be a possible patch but this is still not an acceptable chance.
No ones fault but your own that you gave away your extra reach disk.

The disk you were given for FREE was part of a beta that MS had regarding a new disk format. They did not send you the disk and say "throw out your old reach disk, you won't be needing it"

Frankie has said they are working on it, quit acting so rude and saying "this is unacceptable!".

MrDaravon

OuterWorldVoice said:
Preview disc is a technical exception, not a rule. Has no bearing on future updates.

I mean in terms of this happening again with preview discs if another TU comes out somewhere done the road, sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

Devin Olsen said:
No ones fault but your own that you gave away your extra reach disk.

The disk you were given for FREE was part of a beta that MS had regarding a new disk format. They did not send you the disk and say "throw out your old reach disk, you won't be needing it"

Frankie has said they are working on it, quit acting so rude and saying "this is unacceptable!".

To be fair the letter that came with the disc clearly states that this is "full version copy" of Reach and it is "yours to keep." People have every right to be upset, especially people who don't post on HaloGAF where this copy was their first copy and it doesn't work.

ManBearPanda

Neo Member
I'm pretty surprised at this whole preview disc outrage. Certainly, its a shitty situation, but we have 343 folks in this thread saying that they're working on it. I'd rather have this kind of communication with the devs than the whole 4 gig xbox problem that happened last year, with Bungie being virtually incommunicado.

e: Ghaelon said it better than I.

Havok

MrBig said:
You played the game you paid for. Then you gave it away. They're working on it. Quit kneejerking and accept that you're not blameless here and that nobody told you to give away the copy that you knew wasn't explicitly labeled as a test format and was guaranteed to work forever.

darthbob

ManBearPanda said:
I'm pretty surprised at this whole preview disc outrage. Certainly, its a shitty situation, but we have 343 folks in this thread saying that they're working on it. I'd rather have this kind of communication with the devs than the whole 4 gig xbox problem that happened last year, with Bungie being virtually incommunicado.

IMMA MAD A BUNGIE

reggie said:
BTW with some of the TU changes - I understand that bloom is a setting, but what about armor lock and some of the other changes? Are they also gametype settings or do they apply across the board?

I don't think any of the TU changes are user-facing. A change is either a part of an individual gametype, or it's not.

reggie said:
BTW with some of the TU changes - I understand that bloom is a setting, but what about armor lock and some of the other changes? Are they also gametype settings or do they apply across the board?

Everything is gametypes.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
MrBig said:

You don't have to buy Reach twice. You bought it once. You got a free second version. Had you not given away your paid version, there'd be no problems.

You didn't pay for your free disc and nobody forced you to give away or sell the copy you paid for. It sucks that there's issues updating your free preview disc but don't act entitled and bitch about that free copy.

If you want to ensure you can play the games you bought in future, try keeping them.

Havok

reggie said:
So if I was to go into matchmaking now armor lock would work how it always has? As well as invisibility?
Yes. The feedback they get from the beta playlists will determine how many of the changes in the TU will be applied across the board, if any.

RBK

Banned
Dani said:
You don't have to buy Reach twice. You bought it once. You got a free second version. Had you not given away your paid version, there'd be no problems.

You didn't pay for your free disc and nobody forced you to give away or sell the copy you paid for. It sucks that there's issues updating your free preview disc but don't act entitled and bitch about that free copy.

If you want to ensure you can play the games you bought in future, try keeping them.

This argument is stupid.

MrBig

Dani said:

You didn't pay for your free disc and nobody forced you to give the copy you paid. It sucks that there's issues updating your free preview disc but don't act entitled and bitch about that free copy.

That's like saying you get a free salad with dinner and then blaming the customer when they find a roach in it. Thousands of people participated in the beta. They would not be supporting thousands of their own users.

In any case I will not comment until there has been a definite answer as to whether I will be able to play the game that I have in my possession.

Top Bottom