• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Thermite

Domino Theory said:
Am I hearing it correctly that Preview Disc owners can download the TU, but it just bricks the entire game?

Holy shit, really!? If true, then woooooow. Really glad I didn't boot up Reach yesterday..

Not being able to get access to the TU is one thing, but for it to completely break the game is just fucking ridiculous. :(

feel

vhfive said:
NrOlz.gif
:lol :lol :lol

I havent had a chance to play it much but no bloom gameplay right now isnt amazing. I sort of said that unless they put a decent RoF on the gun it would be pretty bad and I stand by that. At the moment im not sure if I dig it. Extremely fast kill times are just as unhalo-ish as extremely long kill times.

Meh. Roll on Halo 4, too many variables to really balance no bloom in Reach. Ill withhold judgment until I get to play a team based game but right now whilst its miles better than defualt Reach its still a bit off.

BigShow36

bobs99 ... said:
I havent had a chance to play it much but no bloom gameplay right now isnt amazing. I sort of said that unless they put a decent RoF on the gun it would be pretty bad and I stand by that. At the moment im not sure if I dig it. Extremely fast kill times are just as unhalo-ish as extremely long kill times.

Meh. Roll on Halo 4, too many variables to really balance no bloom in Reach. Ill withhold judgment until I get to play a team based game but right now whilst its miles better than defualt Reach its still a bit off.

What really needs to happen for Halo 4 and the utility weapon is that the MAX kill time needs to be around 1.3 seconds, but the AVERAGE kill time needs to be closer to 2.5 seconds. You do this by making it kill fast (3/4 shot) but also difficult to use (low aim assist, fast strafe). It really serves to balance everything out.

No one should be getting 4 or 5 shot kills 80% of the time, like they do now. Thats simply too easy. The best players in the world should be hitting maybe 60% of their shots on average when playing against other great players.

bobs99 ... said:

The first Halo had fast kill times. Also, people will learn not to rush non stop. Halo 3 introduced that rushing because it worked. Positioning like in Halo 2 and CE will be much more important now. Essentially, strats will adapt to the faster kill times.

BigShow36 said:
What really needs to happen for Halo 4 and the utility weapon is that the MAX kill time needs to be around 1.3 seconds, but the AVERAGE kill time needs to be closer to 2.5 seconds. You do this by making it kill fast (3/4 shot) but also difficult to use (low aim assist, fast strafe). It really serves to balance everything out.

This is so so true.

Steelyuhas said:
Put it on your file share.
Will do after fixing some spawning issues we encountered, I'll send you a message when it's done in about an hour or so... did I mentioned it haz shade turretz! TWO EXACTLY!

bobs99 ... said:

Halo CE had really fast kill times

BigShow36

343 needs to upload some no-bloom objective games. Where's the harm in that Frankie?

thezerofire said:
Halo CE had really fast kill times

Yeah, but it was also MUCH more difficult to land shots against a good opponent.

BigShow36 said:

No one should be getting 4 or 5 shot kills 80% of the time, like they do now. Thats simply too easy. The best players in the world should be hitting maybe 60% of their shots on average when playing against other great players.

Yeah the Reach strafe and aim assist make zero bloom dmr battles more of a who shoots first wins game rather than allowing the player to react. There were a few times where after being shot first I would try and drop down and escape but died before I could take 2 steps forward towards the ledge to escape down. Im not a fan of that. Dont get me wrong im not saying that the player should always have a way out of dieing but what I am saying is I want the killtimes to be just long enough to allow me to use the map to my advantage, not die almost instantaneously swat style.

Halo 1 had pretty damn fast kill times, but it also seemed like the movement was more fluid? Seemed like even though I would die quick I could also get around that corner quick enough to save my 1 shot ass.

feel

Oops sorry Gabo, didn't mean to make you sad, when I made that post I had no idea you guys were testing out a new invasion gametype. I thought you guys were playing it just for the heck of it. xD

ElRenoRaven

FyreWulff said:
Set the Spawn Sequence of the spawn to 0, 1, 2, or 3 (or 1,2,3, or 4) to lock a fire team to that spawn. Anything lower or higher will make it a universally available spawn.

Also, the zbNR autoaim bug/feature in pictures:

http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=1101765

Wow. Reach is doomed. Bungie 343i sux!

Nah seriously though. That sucks. Hopefully they'll be able to fix that in the next TU right Frankie and David? *wink* *wink*

PsychoRaven said:
Wow. Reach is doomed. Bungie 343i sux!

Nah seriously though. That sucks. Hopefully they'll be able to fix that in the next TU right Frankie and David? *wink* *wink*

I played a Needle Rifle custom and it was ridiculous, I know now why. To be fair its not a huge problem. Just stick to DMR's and its all good.

unrelated but damage bleed through is the best thing ever.

Tha Robbertster said:
What happened?

No idea yet just that it started in the same place a bunch of homes got condemned because the hill is sliding over there. It wouldn't surprise me if they're related.

Also does anyone have quick links to MLG v6 maps? And did Steely ever upload his gametype?

ElRenoRaven

Ken said:
The Covenant.

Shhh. Nobody is supposed to know they're real damn it. Chief....err....firefighters handled the grass fire quickly and without harm.

And dear god I love it. Reading the Bnet forums now and It never fails with every change made to Halo there is that group of people going the game sucks you're ruined it now and everyone will quit playing it. It never fails. It's been going on since Halo 2.

Yeah Needle Rifle seems a little broken, but honestly when we played the DMR and Pistol killed faster so it barely mattered. I can see it being worse at long range though.

ElRenoRaven

thezerofire said:
Yeah Needle Rifle seems a little broken, but honestly when we played the DMR and Pistol killed faster so it barely mattered. I can see it being worse at long range though.

Yea that seems to be what most are saying. Up close it's not so bad but at that longer range is when it really starts to be a massive problem. If they could fix that somehow then I bet it would be a lot better balanced which would allow for zero bloom to be rolled out more then it probably will be in the finalized playlists.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Gonna play some MM. Send me an invite if anyone has some customs going!

neoism

Letters said:
Grabbed this one, thanks! Extra 10% resistance that only affects grenades and rockets seems interesting.
I have to say I really didn't miss sprint with no bloom but I still think it should be 130 for something... it isn't fast enough... sprint>>>no sprint

neoism

Devolution said:
Pistol is going to need a nerf, I'm already predicting this. You can just spam it at the body with relative ease and take someone out.
fuck that... it is awesome. can't wait for the 3 shot

Farooq

Banned
Honestly, I had a lot of fun playing Reach with the TU.

More fun than I have ever had with vanilla Reach. I cannot wait for the zero bloom hoppers.

Homeboyd

Devolution said:
What's your tag?
Im going to be jumping on in about an hour or so.. you all still planning on running some customs this evening? Who had the zero bloom with the CE settings (increased movement, gravity, etc..)?

GT: Homeboyd903 if you've got any room on your FL. I'm cleansing mine atm.

J10

Banned
This zero bloom gametype is so full of fail. Magnum spam, 4 shot kills, automatic needle rifle headshots, super melees, shoot first to win. LOL Who would want to play Halo this way? You have to limit the gametype to DMRs and infinite sprint just for it to be vaguely playable. Thank Joe Budden Bungie didn't ship such a shitty game setup.

Havok

If there's room in the customs, I'll be on in a little while. I've only done a 5 minute dry run of the new settings so I'll probably be a little rusty.

GhaleonEB

J10 said:
This zero bloom gametype is so full of fail. Magnum spam, 4 shot kills, automatic needle rifle headshots, super melees, shoot first to win. LOL Who would want to play Halo this way? You have to limit the gametype to DMRs and infinite sprint just for it to be vaguely playable. Thank Joe Budden Bungie didn't ship such a shitty game setup.
Incidentally, zero bloom will probably be limited to a stand alone game type with custom weapon starts (think, DMRs), rather than deployed onto maps with NR's and three-shot pistols on it.

The game type is intended to show many of the new gameplay features, not how they will be deployed into matchmaking; it's like a highlights reel of changes, not a matchmaking preview. And even then, there is the Beta playlist between now and when they really show up - for all the reasons you describe.

I suspect we'll be bitching just as much as usual once the changes start to hit their respective playlists and game types. But the current custom game is not an indication of what that will look like.

J10 said:

I'm pretty happy with it. I think the shield bleed through mechanic, removal of bullet randomness, and return to the Halo 3 melee system is a huge improvement.

J10 said:
lol it's 5 shot as always, no damage modifiers were made.

obligatory LOL Who wouldn't want to play Halo this way

heckfu

Banned
J10 said:

^^^ POPULAR OPINION.

(nope)

i'm sorry, that wasn't constructive criticism. what i meant to say was, "don't play it."

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
J10 said:
Try ZBS Classic.

thezerofire said:
lol it's 5 shot as always, no damage modifiers were made.

obligatory LOL Who wouldn't want to play Halo this way

It seemed like it depends on the health system. If it is still low from a battle even with full shields 4 shots = a kill? If so thats slightly annoying because it puts much more emphasize on the un-fun health mechanic. Else you are a shot weaker than everyone else even with full shields. That might require some testing, but thats how it seemed.

Either way I prefer a 4 shot kill, BUT I just dont like the idea that the health system could make such a big impact in terms of putting people on an uneven playing field. Running after health packs isnt fun, and there isnt always many of them. Being a shot weaker than other people is pretty much garunteed death with the kill times with no bloom.

BigShow36

J10 said:

Adapt.

Ramirez

J10 said:

Continuing your trend of worst opinion on HaloGAF, I see.

bobs99 ... said:
It seemed like it depends on the health system. If it is still low from a battle even with full shields 4 shots = a kill? If so thats slightly annoying because it puts much more emphasize on the un-fun health mechanic. Else you are a shot weaker than everyone else even with full shields. That might require some testing, but thats how it seemed.

Either way I prefer a 4 shot kill, BUT I just dont like the idea that the health system could make such a big impact in terms of putting people on an uneven playing field. Running after health packs isnt fun, and there isnt always many of them. Being a shot weaker than other people is pretty much garunteed death with the kill times with no bloom.
I'm not sure how it would be 4 shots with that though, because it still takes 4 shots to break the shields as for as I know

thezerofire said:
I'm not sure how it would be 4 shots with that though, because it still takes 4 shots to break the shields as for as I know

Even with bleed through? Tomorow ill test it out in a custom and post results. Im SURE I was getting 4 shot kills on people earlier. Thats actually something I dislike about 5 shot no bloom. Counting shots just doesnt happen, with older Halo I knew exactly how many shots I put into someone in a battle, with this though its really just me spamming shots as fast as I can lol. A few shots in and I couldnt tell you how close I am to the kill. I think if it was a 4 shot kill but took the same amount of time to get a kill I would be happier with it. Trying to get 5 shots in that quick takes away from it.

I LOVE bleed through though, that really should have been in the game from the start.

bobs99 ... said:
Even with bleed through? Tomorow ill test it out in a custom and post results. Im SURE I was getting 4 shot kills on people earlier. Thats actually something I dislike about 5 shot no bloom. Counting shots just doesnt happen, with older Halo I knew exactly how many shots I put into someone in a battle, with this though its really just me spamming shots as fast as I can lol. A few shots in and I couldnt tell you how close I am to the kill.

I LOVE bleed through though, that really should have been in the game from the start.
Isn't it only melee bleed through? Unless I missed something

Top Bottom