• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

ElRenoRaven

StalkerUKCG said:
So i was discussing a previous mentioned idea about Halo maps like rock band tracks and upon further contemplation it to me at least seems a fantastic idea.

Halo 4 Ships 2 disc, single player disc and multiplayer disc.

Multiplayer has 10 MP maps, 7 firefight maps.

Throughout the lifespan Halo 4 gets 3-4 DLC packs each contain, 4 MP maps 1 Firefight map.

End of life span Halo 4 has, 22-26 MP maps 10-11 FF maps.

Halo 5 ships with 10 maps 7 firefight maps, from day 1 people with halo 4 installed have all the previous maps(inc DLC) playable along side the new instalments. These maps are weighted lower in Matchmaking.

Halo 5 gets 3-4 DLC packs putting the total map count at 44-51 MP maps and 20 - 22 FF maps.

Halo 6 repeats the process this time bringing in maps from H4 and H5 with DLC total map count is 66-77(se7ens makes sense see) and 30 -33 firefight maps.

Each version of multiplayer would obviously have new additions in the vain equipment/AA's/weapons/movement ect but shipping it on a seperate disc means it can all run on a modified build of the same engine, the SP engine can be reworked updated and changed as much as needed, but the MP engine remains the same for compatibility with the older map files, it also means forge variants should work cross games aswell.

In addition to this FF maps on the disc means if the MP engine is built with AI support in mind firefight maps should be cross compatible with MP maps.

110 total maps, Current total maps in the series including FF is around 105(that includes remakes and spiritual successors. Now obviously a large portion of the proposed 110 maps would be much requested remakes so lets say 40-60 remakes 40-60 new maps.

4 DLC packs arnt out of the scope of a developer and the backwards compatibility with older games only means less requested remakes from fans.

See. It would work and be amazing wouldn't it? Nobody could ever bitch about a lack of maps ever again. It would also give us our money's worth for damn sure.

Havok

Devolution said:
I thought it was? I have no problems with it. Except pro has some really stupid spawns.
Spawning flags on roofs because bad players thought that the flag was too hard to score is silly. I liked the beta version that didn't entirely ignore the giant structure obviously intended to be the defensive base. Same thing with Boardwalk, it places the flag/arm spot in the rear corner that is completely open instead of the room up where the sniper spawns. Just a huge waste of potential.

To use an analogy, extending that kind of philosophy to Halo 2 would result in the flag being up by the Rocket Launcher on Zanzibar.

Havok said:
Spawning flags on roofs because bad players thought that the flag was too hard to score is silly. I liked the beta version that didn't entirely ignore the giant structure obviously intended to be the defensive base. Same thing with Boardwalk, it places the flag/arm spot in the rear corner that is completely open instead of the room up where the sniper spawns. Just a huge waste of potential.

I absolutely hated flag in powerhouse. It was such a chore to get it out, especially when defense spawned on top of rocks.

wwm0nkey

StalkerUKCG said:
So i was discussing a previous mentioned idea about Halo maps like rock band tracks and upon further contemplation it to me at least seems a fantastic idea.

Throughout the lifespan Halo 4 gets 3-4 DLC packs each contain, 4 MP maps 1 Firefight map.

Halo 5 ships with 10 maps 7 firefight maps, from day 1 people with halo 4 installed have all the previous maps(inc DLC) playable along side the new instalments. These maps are weighted lower in Matchmaking.

Halo 5 gets 3-4 DLC packs putting the total map count at 44-51 MP maps and 20 - 22 FF maps.

Halo 6 repeats the process this time bringing in maps from H4 and H5 with DLC total map count is 66-77(se7ens makes sense see) and 30 -33 firefight maps.

Each version of multiplayer would obviously have new additions in the vain equipment/AA's/weapons/movement ect but shipping it on a seperate disc means it can all run on a modified build of the same engine, the SP engine can be reworked updated and changed as much as needed, but the MP engine remains the same for compatibility with the older map files, it also means forge variants should work cross games aswell.

In addition to this FF maps on the disc means if the MP engine is built with AI support in mind firefight maps should be cross compatible with MP maps.

110 total maps, Current total maps in the series including FF is around 105(that includes remakes and spiritual successors. Now obviously a large portion of the proposed 110 maps would be much requested remakes so lets say 40-60 remakes 40-60 new maps.

4 DLC packs arnt out of the scope of a developer and the backwards compatibility with older games only means less requested remakes from fans.
regardless of everything else, this NEEDS to happen.

Kujo

StalkerUKCG said:
I mean, yeah I'd like that, but they're having a hard enough time as it is with DLC weighting with just 2 packs. Managing who has what DLC from 3 seperate games, I'd be suprised if half of them show up ever lol

Havok

Devolution said:
I absolutely hated flag in powerhouse. It was such a chore to get it out, especially when defense spawned on top of rocks.
A big part of the beta's problem was that the capture point was out in the middle of nowhere, a literal killing field, with the beta super-grenades. I don't think it was perfect to be sure, but I also think that the current flag placement just seems arbitrary.
To use an analogy, extending that kind of philosophy to Halo 2 would result in the flag being up by the Rocket Launcher on Zanzibar, or between the hills on Burial Mounds, or on the Banshee platform on Ascension.

Gui_PT

Those were guests but they were MLG PROS! Don't be condescending!

My hurts from carrying, definitely. Them kids ain't nothin' without me.

Can't save the match now because I turned the xbox off.

Havok said:
A big part of the beta's problem was that the capture point was out in the middle of nowhere, a literal killing field, with the beta super-grenades. I don't think it was perfect to be sure, but I also think that the current flag placement just seems arbitrary.
To use an analogy, extending that kind of philosophy to Halo 2 would result in the flag being up by the Rocket Launcher on Zanzibar.

It's not like the flag in the powerhouse was a good idea either though, I much prefer it on the roof of office. And I like that both teams can fight for rockets. That just didn't happen in the beta version. All I honestly recall is rockets and nade spam in that building, barely any firefights and a lot of sighing when if and when it got returned to the building. The building layout frankly sucks if you're trying to get in and live for a decent amount of time.

Havok

Devolution said:
It's not like the flag in the powerhouse was a good idea either though, I much prefer it on the roof of office. And I like that both teams can fight for rockets. That just didn't happen in the beta version. All I honestly recall is rockets and nade spam in that building, barely any firefights and a lot of sighing when if and when it got returned to the building. The building layout frankly sucks if you're trying to get in and live for a decent amount of time.
I get that. I guess I never really had that experience, so I never understood the complaints, but I also don't think Powerhouse was ever that wonderful of a 1-Flag map anyway. I still kind of think it needs more tall geometry to prevent the kind of cross-map pinging its plagued with now (from office roof to the dirt ramp, for example). That rocket placement always seemed a little weird to me, but that might just be me being crazy.

PsychoRaven said:
I gurantee you if that map was a real map and not forgeworld and had good spawns you'd like it. I just think the biggest hate for it comes from forgeworld's spawn system not being that great.
No I wouldn't. The map is a couple of platforms connected by a lot of narrow pathways, which is an extremely poor design no matter what skin you throw at it. When the absolute best method of travel on a map is the jetpack, you know you've got a huge design problem. No other map in Reach on a whole allows for such blatant abuse of an AA. I can't truly count Reflection because it was an older map, where the design didn't plan for them. The Cage was an old design too, but it was never public and there was ample opportunity to adjust the design to make it play better for the game. I would be shocked that if a regular schlub like you or me built that map, it would ever see the light of day in MM.

(sorry if that comes across as hostile, not the intent at all)

Retro

So, I'm on quite a bit lately, how do I get my name on the HaloGAF Spreadsheet so people can find me? Cuz I'm sick of getting paired with people in party chat that obviously have mics but don't talk to me. It makes me suspicious that they're not talking about doing my mother last night which, given how often that gets thrown around, I figure the best way to hash things out is make a list of who isn't doing her.

TheOddOne said:
Zoolader got banned, wat.

Boo, and he just hauled my ass through Campaign to get the Weekly. If you're reading this, Thanks for the hell, hope it's not permanent.

StalkerUKCG said:

This, this, a thousand times this. Often, I'm hesitant to buy DLC because they often don't shuffle in the new maps often enough (or they pick the worst ones, Hello Rat's Nest x 1,000) and if it's nearing the end of a game's lifecycle, you maybe have mere months to enjoy them (like Tombstone? Loved that map, barely got to play it).

If there were a shitload of maps to pick from, and the matchmaking was a little better about mixing up those maps (for example, not giving me god damned Asylum or Uncaged every single SWAT match...) there wouldn't be any room for complaint on my end.

PsychoRaven said:
I gurantee you if [Uncaged] was a real map and not forgeworld and had good spawns you'd like it. I just think the biggest hate for it comes from forgeworld's spawn system not being that great.

Let's put it this way. I am a fair-to-middling player; I have my moments but I know I'm not some kind of world class player. I got my first Reach Kill-tacular on Uncaged today by picking off three guys by the mancannon, turning around, and dropping two of them as they respawned at the tower straight behind me. That whole section right along the canyon wall is just pure spawning shit.

Retro said:
So, I'm on quite a bit lately, how do I get my name on the HaloGAF Spreadsheet so people can find me? Cuz I'm sick of getting paired with people in party chat that obviously have mics but don't talk to me. It makes me suspicious that they're not talking about doing my mother last night which, given how often that gets thrown around, I figure the best way to hash things out is make a list of who isn't doing her.

check it now

Tashi0106 said:
Stream is up. Playing TU gametypes

http://www.twitch.tv/tashiii

Did I fool you? :p

128698388365413111.jpg

wwm0nkey said:
regardless of everything else, this NEEDS to happen.

Pretty doubtful to be honest. FPS games with 8 hour campaigns have been on one disc to this point and will probably continue to do so. The only games that are one more than one disc are ones with many hours of cinematics (final fantasy, LA Noire).

As for Stalker's post, the one thing that needs to happen is DLC packs should always be 4 MP and 1 FF for 1200 space bucks. takemymoneyz.jpg

ElRenoRaven

squidhands said:
No I wouldn't. The map is a couple of platforms connected by a lot of narrow pathways, which is an extremely poor design no matter what skin you throw at it. When the absolute best method of travel on a map is the jetpack, you know you've got a huge design problem. No other map in Reach on a whole allows for such blatant abuse of an AA. I can't truly count Reflection because it was an older map, where the design didn't plan for them. The Cage was an old design too, but it was never public and there was ample opportunity to adjust the design to make it play better for the game. I would be shocked that if a regular schlub like you or me built that map, it would ever see the light of day in MM.

(sorry if that comes across as hostile, not the intent at all)

Nah It didn't come off that way at all. To each their own I guess.

feel

I think I saw some map talk earlier. Just wanted to say that The Pit > all

And I'm about to blind jump into the Firefly series bluray, I've heard its good, any fans around? (since it's scifi)

Sai-kun

Banned
Letters said:

And I'm about to blind jump into the Firefly series bluray, I've heard its good, any fans around? (since it's scifi)
My BF and I just started watching it a week ago! It's so awesome! The story seems a little meh but I really like all the characters. :)

Play a man down for most of the match (bad Mr. Big), we win and the opposing kids all go negative and they still want to talk trash in the postgame.

Dumbshits.

senador

Banned
Letters said:

You will not be disappointment.
Until you get to the end and realize there are no more. :(
. <- Not a Firefly spoiler.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Take a little read of this.

http://www.jessesnyder.org/trenches/?p=503#more-503

For example, we hired lots of people (like myself!) who had no idea exactly what they were signing up for.

Yes we are 343 Industries. Yes we own the Halo IP. Yes we are part of Microsoft. A game? What is that? No, no. We are working on a project you see. An FPS? We can’t say. Sorry. Please work for us. By the way, if you were to work on an FPS…

He's the Lead Designer on Halo 4 and he has a colourful history on other projects and some of the stories he shares on the site are great reading fodder.

Ramirez

Havok said:

lol, had nothing to do with bad players, that room was just too hard to get into with Reach's mechanics, namely the rocket launcher and armor lock.

Ramirez said:
lol, had nothing to do with bad players, that room was just too hard to get into with Reach's mechanics, namely the rocket launcher and armor lock.

Oh god I forgot about AL too, euggggggggh.

Retro

Devolution said:
Oh god I forgot about AL too, euggggggggh.

I think part of the reason I play so much damn SWAT is that it takes all of the AAs except Sprint out. When I switch to normal games, I'm fine adapting back to the longer firefights, but it always takes me a second to remember the damn AAs, especially Lock.

So, you know.. the TU and CE:A update is going to be like... getting all of Halo back for me.

MrBig

Retro said:
I think part of the reason I play so much damn SWAT is that it takes all of the AAs except Sprint out. When I switch to normal games, I'm fine adapting back to the longer firefights, but it always takes me a second to remember the damn AAs, especially Lock.

So, you know.. the TU and CE:A update is going to be like... getting all of Halo back for me.
Squad Slayer is the only acceptable slayer playlist of the current set up for me. All that needs getting rid of in there is Jet Packs, and it needs 85% bloom.

Letters said:

I envy you and Sai. I basically watched the first 3 episodes accidentally then could not FREEKING stop watching. Your heart will be sad when you are all out of eps. to watch. Luckily Doctor Who came along to fill the sci-fi TV void.

Retro

MrBig said:
Squad Slayer is the only acceptable slayer playlist of the current set up for me. All that needs getting rid of in there is Jet Packs, and it needs 85% bloom.

Yeah, Squad Slayer wasn't in the last time I played Reach, so out of curiosity I gave it a shot. Was pretty fun, honestly, but there's still issues with Lock and Jetpacks being way too powerful. Call me a fossil, but I really hate it that enemies can hover in places they're not supposed to be or suddenly pop up over what would normally be a safe ridge. Those two additions make Reach a very unhappy place for me compared to Halo 2 and 3 MP.

Lock breaks up the pace, Jet packs break up the stage layout. If the pack was more of a double-jump type thing instead of straight boost to the sky, I'd be much more forgiving. As it is, I really want both to get the hell out of my otherwise awesome Halo (so, I guess my wish is getting granted, then).

Anyways, Squad Slayer... having an extra person around makes it quite a bit more fun. Definitely something I'll play once I get back into the groove (Swat and Snipers to get me back up to speed on head-shotting, then I can safely dip back into regular matches).

Tawpgun

Louis Wu said:
Wait, what?

You should watch stuff like this if you really believe that.
If only I could... You'd think windows phones would support Silverlight...

I was talking from experience. You seems a lot more mobile and agile in H3 grifball. Everytime I tried to do a launch in Reach it failed miserably.

A27 Tawpgun said:
If only I could... You'd think windows phones would support Silverlight...

I was talking from experience. You seems a lot more mobile and agile in H3 grifball. Everytime I tried to do a launch in Reach it failed miserably.
You know that there is a WP7 app for HaloWaypoint? Otherwise Silverlight support should come with Mango. I had a education about WP7 and Sliverlight a few months ago.

Striker

Mojo said:
Favourite shipping maps:

A+++
Lockout, Headlong, Waterworks

A
Midship, Beaver Creek, Burial Mounds, Zanzibar, Coagulation, Terminal

And the rest I don't know, just don't go to Reach's page on Halo Wikia at the moment...
I like you, friend.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
StalkerUKCG said:

I would love for this to happen and I know I should never say never, but...

Top Bottom