• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

A27 Tawpgun said:
I see people by their avatars.

That's why when you fucks switch avatars it throws everything completley off. You become another person.
I'm forcing myself to pay more attention to names. It ain't easy.

And I grew a little tired of all my Skyrim avatars, wanted something I could keep using. :lol

Louis Wu

squidhands said:
Kill 1000 enemies on Corvette? Why is 343 trying to make me hate this map?!

It's the sixth map we've seen this challenge on, actually. (Courtyard has shown up twice, plus one each for Glacier, Overlook, Outpost, and Beachhead.)

It's twice the normal payout, too. (Well, the Courtyard challenges were 3500 cR, but the other 4 were 3000 each.)

All of these large playoffs are good and all, but once you have all the armour pieces there is nothing else to do with them, you know what I would love in future halo titles? A halo store in game, where you can purchase artwork, music pieces and more with in game credits. Most of all I would love a super smash brothers gumball machine were you spend your credits on mini halo figurines!

That is if they keep the credit system for future games.

ElzarTheBam said:
All of these large playoffs are good and all, but once you have all the armour pieces there is nothing else to do with them, you know what I would love in future halo titles? A halo store in game, where you can purchase artwork, music pieces and more with in game credits. Most of all I would love a super smash brothers gumball machine were you spend your credits on mini halo figurines!

Or even just adding the functionality to add in armour permutations post release. One day we'll have Armoured Core levels of custimization :p I'd like to see things like HUD colours/styles, more prominent secondary colours in team games and stuff like that. It's hardly going to happen mind you :p

With Bungie's venture into MMO gaming, I really can't wait to see how they handle player investment.

ElzarTheBam said:

No goddamn credit system.

:lol

PooBone

Dax01 said:
lol.

*Looks at "The Impossible Life and the Possible Death of Preston J. Cole," then looks at "Human Weakness."*

Huh?
Dax, I've learned not to take your quirks seriously, but I have to ask, after this, do you ever read non-Halo books? Think about what those two authors are trying to convey in those stories. I was blow away by Human Weakness because the entire thing takes place inside the mind of an AI. Nylund helped flesh out a particular side of the universe and give all the Spartans very white names, but his books really do read like a screenplay with the same tricks and adjectives used over and over again, (the grenade rolled to his feet... new paragraph... and then exploded.) I'd have liked if a more talented writer had been able to edit his books for him.

Say what you will about this fiction, that all comes down to preference and opinion really, but as far as who is the better author, there's no question. I'm very glad writers like Greg Bear and Karen Traviss are working on the Halo novels instead of Nylund. Can you imagine Nylund trying to write Cryptum?

PooBone said:
Dax, I've learned not to take your quirks seriously, but I have to ask, after this, do you ever read non-Halo books? Think about what those two authors are trying to convey in those stories. I was blow away by Human Weakness because the entire thing takes place inside the mind of an AI. Nylund helped flesh out a particular side of the universe and give all the Spartans very white names, but his books really do read like a screenplay with the same tricks and adjectives used over and over again, (the grenade rolled to his feet... new paragraph... and then exploded.) I'd have liked if a more talented writer had been able to edit his books for him.

Say what you will about this fiction, that all comes down to preference and opinion really, but as far as who is the better author, there's no question. I'm very glad writers like Greg Bear and Karen Traviss are working on the Halo novels instead of Nylund. Can you imagine Nylund trying to write Cryptum?

While i agree Nylund followed some rather obvious screenplay-esq formats i have a great distaste for traviss, The gears novels and what iv read of her mandolarian stuff dosnt fill me with the greatest sense of hope to how she will handle halo (neither did the two chapters over at 343).

Greg Bear on the other had im more than thrilled with.

William C Dietz still holds the record for the worst halo book so far.

Straight and true >_>

PooBone said:
but I have to ask, after this, do you ever read non-Halo books?
It doesn't matter. I'm only judging what I've read, and the writing of "The Impossible Life and the Possible Death of Preston J. Cole" was a lot better than "Human Weakness." I never said she was a bad writer, I only said I'd rather have Nylund write the sequel because I'm confident in his ability to tell a good story in the Halo universe and he's dealt with these characters for the past three books.
Nylund helped flesh out a particular side of the universe and give all the Spartans very white names, but his books really do read like a screenplay with the same tricks and adjectives used over and over again, (the grenade rolled to his feet... new paragraph... and then exploded.)
Okay. What do their names have to do with anything? And last time I checked, Fhajad isn't a "white name." And of the example you listed, that's not how a screenplay reads. Not those I've read.
Say what you will about this fiction, that all comes down to preference and opinion really, but as far as who is the better author, there's no question.
Right. That's why other people besides me were disagreeing with you.
Can you imagine Nylund trying to write Cryptum?
Can't imagine Traviss writing it either, but this doesn't matter. You're trying to turn this into something it's not. I never said Nylund was the best writer in the universe.

daedalius

StalkerUKCG said:
While i agree Nylund followed some rather obvious screenplay-esq formats i have a great distaste for traviss, The gears novels and what iv read of her mandolarian stuff dosnt fill me with the greatest sense of hope to how she will handle halo (neither did the two chapters over at 343).

Anything specific you really didn't like? I thought the 2 preview chapters were quite good.

daedalius said:
Anything specific you really didn't like? I thought the 2 preview chapters were quite good.
Same here! Overall, I'm pleased with what I read aside from some minor character stuff like
her seemingly wanting to create conflict between Halsey and Mendez (unless I read into incorrectly)

daedalius said:

Nothing specific really, i didnt like the way character interactions where wrote. They didnt flow for me felt forced. I know Traviss has a military background and i tend to feel she forces that into everything if its needed or not. I think i hold a bit of a grudge because of her previous work.

daedalius

Dax01 said:
Same here! Overall, I'm pleased with what I read aside from some minor character stuff like
her seemingly wanting to create conflict between Halsey and Mendez (unless I read into incorrectly)

Well, Halsey and Mendez
probably have a bit of simmering resentment towards each other that can come out now that they are totally stuck, and not running and gunning for their lives on an alien world. That plot point made sense to me, they get to voice these feelings now while things are quiet. Besides, I'm sure this was all talked over with Frankie ;)

I think i hold a bit of a grudge because of her previous work.

You shouldn't do that :p

I guess I can't say anything, I won't read anything by C.S. Goto because he is the worst author in the 40k library... its awful.

PooBone

Dax01 said:
It doesn't matter. I'm only judging what I've read, and the writing of "The Impossible Life and the Possible Death of Preston J. Cole" was a lot better than "Human Weakness." I never said she was a bad writer, I only said I'd rather have Nylund write the sequel because I'm confident in his ability to tell a good story in the Halo universe and he's dealt with these characters for the past three books.
Have you read The Fall of Reach, First Strike, or Ghosts of Onyx? Just curious because in this post it kinda sounds like you only read the short story.
Dax01 said:
I always thought Halsey was a bit of a monster, and had beef with everyone in the UNSC that wasn't a Spartan. But she's been able to maintain her "privileged civilian" status despite her atrocious warcrimes because her projects have had results that can't be argued with.

Louis Wu said:
It's the sixth map we've seen this challenge on, actually. (Courtyard has shown up twice, plus one each for Glacier, Overlook, Outpost, and Beachhead.)

It's twice the normal payout, too. (Well, the Courtyard challenges were 3500 cR, but the other 4 were 3000 each.)
I guess I've never had the time or inclination to do the others, but now that I think about it, I do remember being sick and tired of Courtyard. Best get to it...

PooBone said:
Have you read The Fall of Reach, First Strike, or Ghosts of Onyx? Just curious because in this post it kinda sounds like you only read the short story.
Of course.
I always thought Halsey was a bit of a monster, and had beef with everyone in the UNSC that wasn't a Spartan. But she's been able to maintain her "privileged civilian" status despite her atrocious warcrimes because her projects have had results that can't be argued with.
daedalius said:
Well, Halsey and Mendez
probably have a bit of simmering resentment towards each other that can come out now that they are totally stuck, and not running and gunning for their lives on an alien world. That plot point made sense to me, they get to voice these feelings now while things are quiet. Besides, I'm sure this was all talked over with Frankie ;)
But I don't see why they would. It can be argued that Mendez is just as responsible for the Spartan IIs as Halsey is because he agreed to train them. He, too, watched as they were altered, and never said anything. And then he volunteered to do it again.

PooBone

Dax01 said:
Of course.

But I don't see why they would. It can be argued that Mendez is just as responsible for the Spartan IIs as Halsey is because he agreed to train them. He, too, watched as they were altered, and never said anything. And then he volunteered to do it again.
Just a man following orders. And if I'm not mistaken I think he was pretty much summoned and ordered by Kurt "Ambrose" to train the Spartan III's. I don't think he volunteered.
I imagine more about that will come out later on in the book.

daedalius

Dax01 said:

Mendez is a soldier,
he does as he is told, he basically spells it out in the prologue (I think). If he wasn't training them, Halsey would have just found someone else anyway. The only thing he could have done would be walk away from the project, its not like he could shut it down in any way, even if he did disagree with it.

I wouldn't say he is quite as responsible as Halsey, his duty was to train soldiers, it wasn't his fault they had a 50% washout rate that sometimes left them horribly disfigured or mentally unstable. When the idea of the SIIIs came along with promises of better success, he was probably anxious to be able to try and make up for all of those that washed out or died along the way in the SII program. I'm sure it was harder on him to see the kids that he had been training for years suddenly become vegetables, immobile, or insane as soon as Halsey pushed them through the augmentation trials.

daedalius said:
Mendez is a soldier,
he does as he is told, he basically spells it out in the prologue (I think). If he wasn't training them, Halsey would have just found someone else anyway. The only thing he could have done would be walk away from the project, its not like he could shut it down in any way, even if he did disagree with it.

I wouldn't say he is quite as responsible as Halsey, his duty was to train soldiers, it wasn't his fault they had a 50% washout rate that sometimes left them horribly disfigured or mentally unstable. When the idea of the SIIIs came along with promises of better success, he was probably anxious to be able to try and make up for all of those that washed out or died along the way in the SII program. I'm sure it was harder on him to see the kids that he had been training for years suddenly become vegetables, immobile, or insane as soon as Halsey pushed them through the augmentation trials.
PooBone said:
Just a man following orders. And if I'm not mistaken I think he was pretty much summoned and ordered by Kurt "Ambrose" to train the Spartan III's. I don't think he volunteered.
I imagine more about that will come out later on in the book.

Good points, but
I'm still not seeing any reason for Halsey to be mad at him. If he feels guilty, and we assume he does, then why is she mad at him? There's no reason for it. She feels guilty about what she did too.

StalkerUKCG said:
William C Dietz still holds the record for the worst halo book so far.
The Flood holds the record for the worst Halo book so far.

Dietz wasn't exactly given a fair chance.

Nylund had ample time to write The Fall of Reach and was asked to make it an origin story - his only major constraint was that he had to lead into the opening of Halo CE.

Dietz was given a very short amount of time and was asked to write a novelization of the game. He was constrained to following the plot of Halo CE.

I'm not saying Dietz is better than Nylund or any of the other Halo authors, I'm just saying the lackluster reception for The Flood wasn't entirely his fault. I think it's why we haven't seen a novelization of any Halo games since then.

PooBone

ncsuDuncan said:
The Flood holds the record for the worst Halo book so far.

Dietz wasn't exactly given a fair chance.

Nylund had ample time to write The Fall of Reach and was asked to make it an origin story - his only major constraint was that he had to lead into the opening of Halo CE.

Dietz was given a very short amount of time and was asked to write a novelization of the game. He was constrained to following the plot of Halo CE.

I'm not saying Dietz is better than Nylund or any of the other Halo authors, I'm just saying the lackluster reception for The Flood wasn't entirely his fault. I think it's why we haven't seen a novelization of any Halo games since then.
Yeah, didn't he have like 3 weeks to write the book or something ridiculous?

Dax01 said:
Good points, but
I'm still not seeing any reason for Halsey to be mad at him. If he feels guilty, and we assume he does, then why is she mad at him? There's no reason for it. She feels guilty about what she did too.

You're right, unless there's something deeper going on we don't know about yet.

Dax01 said:
Good points, but
She feels betrayed by him, because he worked on the SIII project without telling her.
But you’re in no position to lecture me on ethics, are you, Chief? I know what you’ve done. The proof’s right in front of me here. I’m looking at them. (Prologue)
She gives him a distracted nod. She’s a disturbing little scrap of a thing, too traumatized to speak. Mendez trained these kids. He knew. He knew what Ackerson was doing with my research. He was part of this all along. And I won’t forget that, Chief.

There are even parts in Chapter 1 that make this obvious:
“I don’t have a problem with them, Chief, or I wouldn’t have come here to save them, would I?” she said. Maybe that sounded too messianic. She watched his eyes harden a little more. “But it’s not easy finding that someone you’ve worked with for years kept something of this magnitude from you

Tashi0106 said:
Oh my god I'm so nervous!!!
Have fun! I hope your team will dong them hard. :) I'm trying to watch every Campus Safety game via live stream, if you get streamed. :)

daedalius

So on the TU playlist, sometimes I'll get bleed-thru headshotted even by the DMR when I still have shield left. I have to say, not a fan of how random that feels. The feedback loop that has been developed in Reach I think is a plus, you hear that CLANG and you know, shit I'd better get behind something. When that isn't there and you just fall over, eh...

Bleedthrough the shield at all from ranged weapons just feels messed up, however I think it is great for melee... I mean other than the horrendous bug after you pick up a healthpack and stuff.

Have I said before I love the Gallery on Forward Unto Dawn? Awesome stuff.

PooBone

Hypertrooper said:
She feels betrayed by him, because he worked on the SIII project without telling her.
We have a winner!!! Nice observation Hyper.

daedalius said:
So on the TU playlist, sometimes I'll get bleed-thru headshotted even by the DMR when I still have shield left. I have to say, not a fan of how random that feels. The feedback loop that has been developed in Reach I think is a plus, you hear that CLANG and you know, shit I'd better get behind something. When that isn't there and you just fall over, eh...

Bleedthrough the shield at all from ranged weapons just feels messed up, however I think it is great for melee... I mean other than the horrendous bug after you pick up a healthpack and stuff.

It sounds like you just aren't used to it yet. No one complained about it in Halo 1-3, everyone complained about the change in Reach, now that people are adjusted, it's changed again, and it feels awkward. Don't worry, you'll get the feel for it.

daedalius said:
Best quailty of the arts right now. Still hope 343i will release them before till the end of the year. :) I want my avatar uncompressed.

Tha Robbertster said:
Did anyone else think it was funny the AI was called BB? I was constantly thinking about blackberrys :lol

And good luck Tashi!
I'm always reading his name as BP.

PooBone said:
That is sarcasm, right?

FyreWulff

PooBone said:

It sounds like you just aren't used to it yet. No one complained about it in Halo 1-3, everyone complained about the change in Reach, now that people are adjusted, it's changed again, and it feels awkward. Don't worry, you'll get the feel for it.

Halo 3 had a proper feedback loop for it though. Reach does not, because it was designed around bleedthrough not being there.

Risen

Tashi0106 said:
I don't care about that, it's my first time competing.

Thanks guys!

BAH - you'll be fine. Your first game will be against a team of 17yr old girls who hold the controller backwards.

Good luck again mayne...

PooBone

Tha Robbertster said:
Did anyone else think it was funny the AI was called BB? I was constantly thinking about blackberrys :lol

And good luck Tashi!
LOL, I heard that at one of the panels and thought it fit with the AI name from Reach:
Dot

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Risen said:
BAH - you'll be fine. Your first game will be against a team of 17yr old girls who hold the controller backwards.

Good luck again mayne...
I'm not underestimating any team just because they don't have points. Thanks though.

The event starts tomorrow, I'm flying out in a couple hours. The open bracket won't get shown.

GhaleonEB

Louis Wu said:

It's amusing that it was the first two instances that were worth 3,500 - then the next four dropped to 3,000 cR. 6,000 is enough of a lure that I'm down for it.

14,000 cR in Firefight Challenges is nice and meaty; we've had Firefight Thursdays go by where they were worth 4-5k.

I'll knock off three of these in one game, then chip away at the last. Probably take 4 games of Doubles.

Tashi0106 said:
I'm not underestimating any team just because they don't have points. Thanks though.

The event starts tomorrow, I'm flying out in a couple hours. The open bracket won't get shown.

They will if you lug all your streaming equipment with you. Get on bromango

Homeboyd

GhaleonEB said:
It's amusing that it was the first two instances that were worth 3,500 - then the next four dropped to 3,000 cR. 6,000 is enough of a lure that I'm down for it.

14,000 cR in Firefight Challenges is nice and meaty; we've had Firefight Thursdays go by where they were worth 4-5k.

I'll knock off three of these in one game, then chip away at the last. Probably take 4 games of Doubles.
What gametypes do you usually try to get in doubles? You must be boss-hogging some serious kills.

Top Bottom